• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sister Wives

I totally agree that Meri has behaved terribly, and was cruel to Janelle. I don't disagree with that at all. I just think she is not meant for this lifestyle, and is lashing out because she's so profoundly sad. She's the one who brought Robyn into the mix, because she truly believes the religion and that polygamy is the way she SHOULD live. Her head believes she needs to live a polygamist lifestyle, but her heart can't stand it (even from the beginning). I truly wish she'd just accept that this life is not for her, and leave.

I think she brought all of them in. I also feel sorry for her. I agree she maybe doesn't have the best personality for this lifestyle but I think the crux of the problem is her fertility problems. I don't struggle with that myself so I can't imagine the pain that can cause but the pain of that compounded with watching your husband have 14 children with 3 other women has to be damaging on every level. Yes, in a way she still got to have kids in her life and was pretty involved but they still were not REALLY hers. Then the shiny new wife offers to carry her child but her husband says no he doesn't want to do it (after suggesting in vitro as an anniversary present a few years before) but then has yet another baby with the shiny new wife. That had to be unimaginably painful.

Then as a response she seeks out comfort from outside the family and we all know how that went down and I would bet she is still being punished for that.

She is literally a stepmother whose husband still sleeps with his kids' mothers.

And they just won’t forgive her for the cat fishing thing. it must be so exhausting to constantly be questioned — are you really coming with us? are you committed to this? are you moving to Flagstaff?
they all were so sure that she was going to abandon them and they’re still treating her like she’s going to — it’s going to become a self fulfilling prophecy

And they just won’t forgive her for the cat fishing thing. it must be so exhausting to constantly be questioned — are you really coming with us? are you committed to this? are you moving to Flagstaff?
they all were so sure that she was going to abandon them and they’re still treating her like she’s going to — it’s going to become a self fulfilling prophecy
How easy would you forgive that? I don’t know that I could and it would certainly be a loooong time before I could trust that it wouldn’t happen again. I never bought the “threat to the family” claim. I think that’s something they came up with to save face. (I have my reasons for believing that but I can’t get into them because it delves into banned topics on The DIS.) She never really took responsibility for her actions there. All her apologies were precluded by “but.” Don’t get me wrong, I totally get how her emotional state and loneliness got her there but I also feel she knew what she was doing when she crossed that line.

I’d a hard time forgiving get too, don’t get me wrong. But if you’ve decided that you’re married to this person for the rest of eternity, then it’s time to get over yourself and figure out how to make things right. One of the best pieces of advice I got when I got married was, “would you rather be right or married.”
These people believe they don’t have a choice but to stay married, so they should stop putting so much emphasis on who’s right and just move forward. Throwing Meri’s past mistakes in her face on a regular basis is not a healthy way to move forward. Kody is so cold to her, I don’t see how things could ever improve

I have more sympathy for Meri than I’ve ever had since season 1. She’s by far my least favorite wife, but the way he is treating her is cruel. I wonder if she’s even still in the weekly rotation?

ETA -- it's also been almost THREE years since the cat fishing thing - at some point its not fair to keep her around but refuse to forgive her. Either divorce her or let it go.

Last edited:

On the house thing....why not cut down some trees?!?! I feel that would've solved it all!

I used to feel bad for Meri but I'm clearly seeing that she stirs up the drama. I'm with Kody on this one. I truly believe he thought he was doing something nice for her since she said she wasn't fond of the trees anymore. Maybe he was doing it so he didn't have to hear her complain later but I do think he was trying to give her what she wanted and then it blew up in his face. She plays the victim. Poor me, the other wives get first pick, I get the leftovers, etc about everything in their lives. I truly believe had they given her first choice she still would've found something to complain about and play the poor me card. It's what she does and they are all over it. Except Robin. Robin still feeds into it. Then on top of it she gets manipulative and defensive when they try to communicate with her. I'm shocked that she even spoke to them on last episode. I thought she was going to say something along the lines of "well since I'm always misunderstood I'm not going to talk" but then complain later that no one heard her out. She was very defensive with Kody saying he was looking at her with contempt.

She's the one who wanted them to do polygamy. She pushed for Robin to join the family but that was the beginning to the end. Kody favors Robin. She's clearly his favorite wife. New young hot thing....he's in lust. Him divorcing Meri and legally marrying Robin mentally screwed Meri over. I used to feel sorry for Meri but at this point it's put up or shut up. Walk away from your "marriage" or just shut up and accept your life. I can't deal with the whining. Poor me.....I get the crap end of the stick...blah blah blah.

I remember the whole hoopla about the wet bar and her having to have a huge house even though she only had one child that was about to leave for school. Her thing was "well they get a big house I deserve one too." If this is truly a FAMILY don't you do what's best for your FAMILY? Financially it made no sense for her to have that huge house for one person. But yet here we go again with her huge rental property for ONE person and she hosts no family get togethers. It's all on Robin. I can't wait to see the drama when they start building (if they ever start building) on Coyote Pass.

As for Meri living with another sister wife until they build......they've made mention that they prefer not to do that because of noise when they are in bed. They don't want to overhear each other having sex. I don't think he's having sex with Meri but he's obviously having sex with Robin. You saw when Meri joked with Robin and said "would I mind if I moved in with you" and Robin said "if you have to." They don't want to live together. But it makes complete financial sense for Meri to live with another one of the wives in the meantime. I think Robin is the only sister wife that would even entertain the thought of Meri moving in.

You all see the thruple on House Hunters recently? They all sleep in the same bed and share (2 ladies and a guy). Was very odd. And the husband and first wife have kids, not little kids either. They were constantly whining about not looking at homes with 3 sinks in the master bath or 3 car garages... (eye roll).

I don't believe for a minute that they feel this marriage is for eternity. Both Janelle and Robyn had previous husbands.
Well, if a man is granted a “spiritual divorce” then they are released from him. They’re rarely granted to women though.

On the house thing....why not cut down some trees?!?! I feel that would've solved it all!

I used to feel bad for Meri but I'm clearly seeing that she stirs up the drama. I'm with Kody on this one. I truly believe he thought he was doing something nice for her since she said she wasn't fond of the trees anymore. Maybe he was doing it so he didn't have to hear her complain later but I do think he was trying to give her what she wanted and then it blew up in his face. She plays the victim. Poor me, the other wives get first pick, I get the leftovers, etc about everything in their lives. I truly believe had they given her first choice she still would've found something to complain about and play the poor me card. It's what she does and they are all over it. Except Robin. Robin still feeds into it. Then on top of it she gets manipulative and defensive when they try to communicate with her. I'm shocked that she even spoke to them on last episode. I thought she was going to say something along the lines of "well since I'm always misunderstood I'm not going to talk" but then complain later that no one heard her out. She was very defensive with Kody saying he was looking at her with contempt.

She's the one who wanted them to do polygamy. She pushed for Robin to join the family but that was the beginning to the end. Kody favors Robin. She's clearly his favorite wife. New young hot thing....he's in lust. Him divorcing Meri and legally marrying Robin mentally screwed Meri over. I used to feel sorry for Meri but at this point it's put up or shut up. Walk away from your "marriage" or just shut up and accept your life. I can't deal with the whining. Poor me.....I get the crap end of the stick...blah blah blah.

I remember the whole hoopla about the wet bar and her having to have a huge house even though she only had one child that was about to leave for school. Her thing was "well they get a big house I deserve one too." If this is truly a FAMILY don't you do what's best for your FAMILY? Financially it made no sense for her to have that huge house for one person. But yet here we go again with her huge rental property for ONE person and she hosts no family get togethers. It's all on Robin. I can't wait to see the drama when they start building (if they ever start building) on Coyote Pass.

As for Meri living with another sister wife until they build......they've made mention that they prefer not to do that because of noise when they are in bed. They don't want to overhear each other having sex. I don't think he's having sex with Meri but he's obviously having sex with Robin. You saw when Meri joked with Robin and said "would I mind if I moved in with you" and Robin said "if you have to." They don't want to live together. But it makes complete financial sense for Meri to live with another one of the wives in the meantime. I think Robin is the only sister wife that would even entertain the thought of Meri moving in.

I remember around the time they were building the houses in Vegas Janelle commented about the size of Meri's house and she said it was only recently that Meri had been able to verbalize that she didn't want to be punished for only having one child and it seemed rather revealing to Janelle that she understood what was behind a lot of Meri's behavior and agreed she shouldn't be punished for only having one child.

Further, Meri may not have strictly needed a house that large (beyond needing it to fill the void) but that built the Vegas homes in a neighborhood. I highly doubt the could have put an 800 Sq ft 1 bedroom house next to those mcmansions. Or even a 2 bedroom home really.

I completely agree regarding Mary’s Vegas house that the size just made sense for the neighborhood, even though some of her requests were ridiculous and she was whiny. I get her insecurities there.
Why she lives in a gigantic rental house by herself I have no idea, she should be an apartment.
But then, there’s been a lot of choices that I’ve made about this move that seem to be just throwing money out the window.

I’m so torn on Meri. I have never liked her and her “woe is me” mentality. Truly from Day 1, I’ve really only watched for Janelle and Christine (Robyn is fine, but... eh I don’t know she’s boring).

But, I have really struggled with the whole catfishing incident. At first I was like “yes they’ll kick her out or she’ll leave finally!” But the more I think about it, it’s so unfair. Kody (at the time) was with Meri 1/4 of the time and really dismissive of her. He didn’t want to have another baby, didn’t really want to talk through their issues, and I can see how it was easy for Meri, alone in her gigantic house, to start talking to someone else. Her husband has 3 other wives that he’s physically and emotionally intimate with.

Did Meri cheat emotionally? Yes, but it’s not that different from what Kody has done most of their marriage. Sure, that’s acceptable in their religion, but it just seems like such a huge double-standard. But I guess that’s why I’m in a monogamous relationship.

With the house size thing... I see where Meri was coming from in Vegas, but while she’s renting, she should absolutely be some place smaller. I know their whole thing is there aren’t many rentals on the market, blah blah but... come on, that’s garbage.

I completely agree regarding Mary’s Vegas house that the size just made sense for the neighborhood, even though some of her requests were ridiculous and she was whiny. I get her insecurities there.
Why she lives in a gigantic rental house by herself I have no idea, she should be an apartment.
But then, there’s been a lot of choices that I’ve made about this move that seem to be just throwing money out the window.

I mean yes, it does make financial sense for her to get a small apartment or even live with Robyn but really, I can definitely see how giving her less of the family budget would create problems. She should be treated as on equal footing with the other wives regardless of how many kids she has. To give her less is treating her as a second class wife and that isn't healthy either.

I remember around the time they were building the houses in Vegas Janelle commented about the size of Meri's house and she said it was only recently that Meri had been able to verbalize that she didn't want to be punished for only having one child and it seemed rather revealing to Janelle that she understood what was behind a lot of Meri's behavior and agreed she shouldn't be punished for only having one child.

Further, Meri may not have strictly needed a house that large (beyond needing it to fill the void) but that built the Vegas homes in a neighborhood. I highly doubt the could have put an 800 Sq ft 1 bedroom house next to those mcmansions. Or even a 2 bedroom home really.

I agree about the size in Vegas. But she wanted lots of add ons if I'm remembering correctly.

Also Janelle downsized since most of her kids are gone. She stated multiple times on the previous episode that there is no reason for her to have all of these bedrooms and a huge house for when her kids MIGHT come to visit. It makes sense. But not for Meri. She still wants the huge rental.

I know Meri runs a business out of her home so a one bedroom apartment won't work since she does need an office and storage space but a 3 bedroom apartment would work. I think they got extremely spoiled by the McMansions in Vegas and they do NOT want to downsize or go down in luxury.

Also I think Kody is done with the big house thing after his lawyer told him he's sitting on a gold mine. He's not going to build that big house anymore. He's going to build houses, live there for a bit (or never actually move in) and then sell them or rent them out for huge profits.

Also I think Kody is done with the big house thing after his lawyer told him he's sitting on a gold mine. He's not going to build that big house anymore. He's going to build houses, live there for a bit (or never actually move in) and then sell them or rent them out for huge profits.
I wonder if that will work out as well as making a killing on those LV properties. By the time they build, live in them for a while and move on, who knows what the market will be like. If it's still hot there, then it will still be hot (and expensive) for them to move elsewhere.

My brother lives in Flagstaff and we live about an hour away. It is very expensive to live there! My brother delivers for FedEx and has delivered to a few of the wives before and said Kody was an a** yelling at them that no one is to sign for packages but him! My niece works for the mortgage broker that they use and has met the wives on several occasions and has said they are all very sweet and seem to get along great.

My brother lives in Flagstaff and we live about an hour away. It is very expensive to live there! My brother delivers for FedEx and has delivered to a few of the wives before and said Kody was an a** yelling at them that no one is to sign for packages but him! My niece works for the mortgage broker that they use and has met the wives on several occasions and has said they are all very sweet and seem to get along great.

OMG I’m so here for inside info 😂

I think I’d seriously love to hang out with Christine & Janelle.

I think Meri just likes to have everyone hanging on her thoughts and words. During that discussion about one house, she even admitted she was holding back until everyone else committed on where they stood. Then when she's the last hold out, she has the power and everyone can try to court her to their side.

How long do you have to think about it before you commit on whether you want trees or not? She thrives on that power.

I agree about the size in Vegas. But she wanted lots of add ons if I'm remembering correctly.

Also Janelle downsized since most of her kids are gone. She stated multiple times on the previous episode that there is no reason for her to have all of these bedrooms and a huge house for when her kids MIGHT come to visit. It makes sense. But not for Meri. She still wants the huge rental.

I know Meri runs a business out of her home so a one bedroom apartment won't work since she does need an office and storage space but a 3 bedroom apartment would work. I think they got extremely spoiled by the McMansions in Vegas and they do NOT want to downsize or go down in luxury.

Yes, I believe she had to have a FIFTH bedroom to get the wet bar she was so set on. So there were less expensive options available that still would have fit in with that neighborhood.

As for her just wanting "her fair share".... that's looking at it like 4 separate families. They are one family. They are the ones who chose to be one family. It's ridiculous how much is going out in monthly income just to keep it all even.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter