SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

SOG is nicer with bigger rooms. If they are without kids, I highly suggest SOG. Astar are fun andvwhimsical, but value resorts for sure.

ETA: OOPS quote didn't work this was in reply to figmentfan423

Has anyone been able to use the military star card for the restaurants at SOG, or just book the meal to your room and then pay with the star card? Just curious. I saw a post a while back but didn't see the answer. I'll be able to answer the question myself in a month when I try!

Just returned from our first stay at Shades of Green and we LOVED it! We stayed in the Palm wing near the parking garage and had a lovely view. Our room was beautiful and huge with so much storage! We could hear elevators beeping and hallway conversations clearly but we used white noise to sleep and were not bothered at all. We never heard outside noise and never heard neighbors at all-seems sound proof with the exception of the hallway door.

We loved the main pool and the big pool slide. The new playground is very nice, even for older children.

We used the Shady Shuttle several times and the Bell Services guys were awesome-so friendly. Actually, all the staff at the resort were incredibly nice and helpful. The walk to the Polynesian is a pretty walk and doable. We also used the Shades of Green buses. We liked that we always knew exactly what time the bus would be there, no guessing like at Disney resorts. The bus stops at the Transportation Center, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach and Hollywood Studios are all very close by to the park entrance/exit. In fact, Animal Kingdom's stop has benches and is even covered-very nice. Buses were never crowded, always had a seat, even at park closing and other guests very polite and respectful.

We only ate one breakfast at the resort. The gluten free waffles were not good but without allergies the rest of the food looked great. The omelette station was fabulous. The Starbucks in the lobby was very reasonably priced and much better than Disney hotel coffee.

It was a great week and we'd stay here again for sure!

just to let you know, bell service will drive you in their golf cart to the corner if your they're not busy, all you do is cross the street and your at the poly. they do pick up too, just call and of course tip

Just returned from our first stay at Shades of Green and we LOVED it! We stayed in the Palm wing near the parking garage and had a lovely view. Our room was beautiful and huge with so much storage! We could hear elevators beeping and hallway conversations clearly but we used white noise to sleep and were not bothered at all. We never heard outside noise and never heard neighbors at all-seems sound proof with the exception of the hallway door.

We loved the main pool and the big pool slide. The new playground is very nice, even for older children.

We used the Shady Shuttle several times and the Bell Services guys were awesome-so friendly. Actually, all the staff at the resort were incredibly nice and helpful. The walk to the Polynesian is a pretty walk and doable. We also used the Shades of Green buses. We liked that we always knew exactly what time the bus would be there, no guessing like at Disney resorts. The bus stops at the Transportation Center, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach and Hollywood Studios are all very close by to the park entrance/exit. In fact, Animal Kingdom's stop has benches and is even covered-very nice. Buses were never crowded, always had a seat, even at park closing and other guests very polite and respectful.

We only ate one breakfast at the resort. The gluten free waffles were not good but without allergies the rest of the food looked great. The omelette station was fabulous. The Starbucks in the lobby was very reasonably priced and much better than Disney hotel coffee.

It was a great week and we'd stay here again for sure!

Hi! do you remember which room number you had? I always like to keep good ones handy for requests!

Hi! We haven't stayed at SOG in years... curious to know if the entire Palm wing is done with refurbs? Or are they still working on it? We've only stayed in that wing and would love to request it agin. Any photos of the new rooms?

Hi! do you remember which room number you had? I always like to keep good ones handy for requests!
I don't but near the elevators seems to be a good location but bring white noise-we heard every elevator ding and conversation without white noise on!

I don't but near the elevators seems to be a good location but bring white noise-we heard every elevator ding and conversation without white noise on!

I can't seem to find any pictures from our September 2016 trip, but we always request "Palm Wing, Lobby Level, close to Lobby" and have gotten rooms close to the lobby, but not right by the elevators. Last trip we sponsored a bunch of family members--our rooms were together (right near the palm suite, I think) and they were all renovated. I think if you look on SoG Facebook they have photos of the renovated rooms.

Oh, wait, I realize I had the wings mixed up! We are always on the other side by the parking garage, that would be Palm. I was thinking Magnolia Ballroom, so Magnolia was in my mind. I just confirmed it on the property map. We never end up near elevators though, usually middle or near the end.

I never really considered SOG before for our family of four because we like to stay on property with more theming and have the resort benefits too. For our next trip the DS's may each be bringing their girl friends though. With 6 of us SOG prices for the space are starting to look really appealing! What are the pros and cons if we are used to staying at a Disney resort?

We won't be doing the dining plan but do like to have adr's for one ts meal a day. We will be driving but like to utilize Disney transportation while we visit for the week. We will be getting either 4 or 5 day military tickets and may or may not park hop. We plan to visit Disney Springs and maybe a water park since we'll be there in June. We like the convenience of the magic bands too. What room options would be best? TIA!

We love SOG.

Cons:
you can only make FP selections 30 days in advance.
your magic band won't open your door
you can't charge anything to your magic band
you can't use magical Express which doesn't matter if you have a car, but the car costs $7/day to park.
the buses to AK, Disney Springs, and HS only come hourly
No food court
Pros:
no Disney theming.....quite and peaceful after a day in the parks
the biggest rooms on property
the price
you know exactly when the bus is leaving and it doesn't make stops at other resorts
the buffet and Manginos are reasonably priced. The sports bar is great.
SOG is included in extra magic hours

You can make an ADR regardless of where you are staying. Your magic bands will work at the park entrance and for FP. The salute tickets are very reasonable. They are park hoppers. There is an option to add the water parks for a few dollars more.

Both pools are near the Magnolia wing, but the garage where you park your car is near the Palm building.

We love SOG.

Cons:
you can only make FP selections 30 days in advance.
your magic band won't open your door
you can't charge anything to your magic band
you can't use magical Express which doesn't matter if you have a car, but the car costs $7/day to park.
the buses to AK, Disney Springs, and HS only come hourly
No food court
Pros:
no Disney theming.....quite and peaceful after a day in the parks
the biggest rooms on property
the price
you know exactly when the bus is leaving and it doesn't make stops at other resorts
the buffet and Manginos are reasonably priced. The sports bar is great.
SOG is included in extra magic hours

You can make an ADR regardless of where you are staying. Your magic bands will work at the park entrance and for FP. The salute tickets are very reasonable. They are park hoppers. There is an option to add the water parks for a few dollars more.

Both pools are near the Magnolia wing, but the garage where you park your car is near the Palm building.

One additional note is that you have to make your ADRs one day at a time if you're doing it right at 180 days. Can't do for length of trip like when staying onsite. Same for FPs. Rolling 30 days. For me that's the hardest adjustment with SOG. Other than that I love staying there.

My opinion here, with my list of pros/cons to SOG or Disney resort from my last stay. We did a split stay WL and SOG and this is what I remember feeling about the differences:

Pros:
Cost is great for a room, considering proximity to MK and not all the tack on costs
Big rooms
The grounds, the lobby (my kids liked the grounds better here, strange they preferred SOG grounds from WL)
PX and somewhat PX prices
Prices of food when comparing what you may find at a Disney resort. This is subjective, always a case for comparison
The bus system (also a con though to AK, HS, etc) (I've actually had more frustrating bus experiences at a WL stay)
The bus stop is right in front
Extra magic hours
Coffee choices, not a big line
Ice cream prices
Evergreens
Walk to Poly and monorail as another choice of transportation
The occasional small gator sighting (though probably not any more)
Laundry easy to get done
Front desk great help with an issue
Some cool themes at the buffets my kids liked (like carnival night had popcorn and cotton candy)

Cons:
The magic bands you can't use on property
The refillable mug from Disney you can't use
The pool water was colder than I like
The pool theming
The wireless internet was in and out
The bus system to some parks
The transportation, if comparing WL, CR, and GF because no boats, monorail
Variety of restaurant quick service
Disney theme, not really except for the giant Mickey and pool shape
Could be 30 day fast pass wait, but we had them at 60 due to WL

IMG_1413.JPG We were in the Palm wing last July and our room was lovely. We are returning this summer, and I always request the third floor, courtyard view. The parking garage is easily accessible from the third floor, and if you're like me and end up doing laundry on vacation, the laundry room is located on this floor. We don't mind the walk to the pools, and we feel it's a small trade off to stay in the Palm Wing rooms. I agree with everyone's pros and cons, especially transportation, but we work around it, and it's all good. SOG is a great value especially for large families.

Just to add, someone said you can't use the refillable cups, SOG has a version of the refillable mug. Worked okay for us, but I would say works better when on magnolia side and not the palm side because it is a long walk, unless they have put in a new place to refill, but it use to be way out past the pool.

A pro for SOG, the spa, the best and cheapest on property, exactly what you need after a few days walking the parks.

The room closest to the elevators in the Palm wing is 2101. We've stayed in that room and others on the 2nd floor Palm. We have ONLY stayed on the 2nd floor Palm wing.
We didn't notice any noise that was a bother, but we have always gotten in fairly late :earsboy:.
Even staying at SoG and only booking FP at 30 days we were able to get everything we wanted with the exception of 7 Dwarfs so we went stand-by.
Hi! We haven't stayed at SOG in years... curious to know if the entire Palm wing is done with refurbs? Or are they still working on it? We've only stayed in that wing and would love to request it agin. Any photos of the new rooms?

2101 is the room closest to the lobby and elevators in the Palm wing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter