SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Just wanted to share this information I saw over on Disney Military Tips this morning.
Beginning September 2017, SOG will begin a 50 million dollar renovation of the Magnolia wing! I think this is something that was long overdue, and will be wonderful once completed. Of course, this may have an impact on anyone who has booked a Magnolia room. Steve, at Military Tips, said there may be a possibility of discounts offered, most likely due to construction. Just wanted you all to be aware.

Just wanted to share this information I saw over on Disney Military Tips this morning.
Beginning September 2017, SOG will begin a 50 million dollar renovation of the Magnolia wing! I think this is something that was long overdue, and will be wonderful once completed. Of course, this may have an impact on anyone who has booked a Magnolia room. Steve, at Military Tips, said there may be a possibility of discounts offered, most likely due to construction. Just wanted you all to be aware.
I tried to search for this announcement on that site without luck. Will this affect the mickey pool during construction? Was there mention of a roofing project too? We loved Shades of Green so much and plan to return next spring-curious how this might affect our stay. Thanks!

When I was there last month I heard unofficially from others in the pool that the roof on the Magnolia wing was going to be replaced this fall. The exterior is also being painted. There was no mention of the pool being closed.

I tried to search for this announcement on that site without luck. Will this affect the mickey pool during construction? Was there mention of a roofing project too? We loved Shades of Green so much and plan to return next spring-curious how this might affect our stay. Thanks!

The notice was included in a newsletter I received, here's a direct quote:
"Shades of Green will be starting a 50 million dollar renovation of their Magnolia Wing in September 2017. The renovation is expected to last from 18 to 24 months! Due to this we can expect discounts that used to be announced well in advance to be announced much closer to the discounted timeframe and for the dates and incentives to be less than we have seen in the past."

No mention of pool,or roof work. Both pools were recently done over, so I would not expect any closures. As the PP mentioned, the roof will most likely be done as well. I would expect that they will rehab one floor at a time to minimize any disruption.

Interesting. It will be something to ask if making reservations from September forward, and hopefully they will comment on it as it happens on their Facebook page if it would impact the expectations of guests.

We just stayed there and when I made the reservation a year ago, it was noted on my e-mail confirmation that enhancements to the resort may be taking place during our stay. Apparently this renovation project is delayed from this spring. I can't see a roof taking 2 years so hopefully that's done during a less busy season, although seems like Disney is always busy these days! Thanks for the info. I need to sign up for those newsletters:)

Can anyone give a recent review of town car service from Orlando International Airport to Shades of Green with a complimentary grocery store stop on the way? total round trip cost for 3 passengers and luggage?
Rented a car during our stay at SOG but really don't need it with the transportation provided at the resort-looking to see if airport transfer can save any $$$

We've used Sunstate Transportation before in 2015, but didn't stop at the grocery store. I hear you can also have groceries delivered from Garden Grocer, and yes probably a delivery charge as someone will probably comment. We've never tried it, though.

How long will you be staying, and what sort of items are you considering from the store? You may have decided you most definitely need the grocery store. Just thinking though that length of stay and items may factor in for you on what you'd like to do. We have older kids, so my main things I like to keep on hand are milk, water, quick room breakfast (cereal/poptarts), and snacks. I stick some of these in my luggage and pick up the drinks at the store or café at SOG.

I agree on the rental car that it can be pricey when not really needed. We've rented a car before for DW in some other trips and it sat in the parking garage, last time we used transportation, and this time we are renting a car for half our stay because we have some other plans and then turning it in early.

We have used several different we have used several different transportation businesses, all have been very good. There is one I don't recommend, but not allowed to say it here, It had the color silver in its name, hope that is okay to say. But we have had many very nice trips back and forth. Because there is 6 of us we always have to have an SUV, so I think it usually runs us about $150 round trip, maybe a little less with the discount. We have always stopped at a store for our water and such, although you can buy that on property cheap enough. They have always been on time, except one they were about 15 minutes late and just as I was about to call, they called me to say the person broke down and they were sending another car should be there in 10 minutes, before I hung up the car was there, so not to bad 20 minute wait, and they did call and they did discount the rate, I think by $20 without me asking. I know I could have asked for more, but I felt it was fear and since they called I was not going to ask at all. With Uber now so we'll know you may be able to get an uber car and it may be cheaper. I feel good about all the limo services, can't really recommend one over the other, every one we used has been great. I just go with the lowest fare.

We're staying in October and no mention of the renovation was made when I booked...weird. I did notice that they have discounts for September and November but nothing for October. I'm so hoping for the 20% discount!! I think we stayed on the Palm side in December, we are hoping for the same room!

We are heading down in October. I noticed when I originally went to book several months ago, there were already dates for the weekend of our trip unavailable. They have since all become available but it would be great if a discount is release as well. Even so, looking forward to our time there again!

I just called to see if anything had been released as far as discounts for October and was told nothing yet and since they'd released November discounts she didn't seem hopeful. BUMMER! I asked about the renovations while I was on the phone and she said that the current renovation project had been cancelled and there was no plan for rescheduling at this time! Not sure what that would do to room availability and the potential for savings but thought I'd pass along the news.

Can anyone confirm FP+ process for a SOG stay please? I'm trying to help a friend who has Military Salute 5 day passes and is at 30 days. Can they book for the entire 5 days at 30 days or do they have to do each day separately as they reach 30 days? Thanks!

Can anyone confirm FP+ process for a SOG stay please? I'm trying to help a friend who has Military Salute 5 day passes and is at 30 days. Can they book for the entire 5 days at 30 days or do they have to do each day separately as they reach 30 days? Thanks!

They will have to book FP+ separately at 30 days for each park day.

They will have to book FP+ separately at 30 days for each park day.

Yep - like I just did this morning for the last day there... but it was fun to go online each morning at 7am and think about how many others were doing the same thing, and seeing what was available and then taking it from there.

There's a change on the website, I don't know if it's intentional or accidental but I don't see the reservation calendar anymore.

Are the themes ever posted online for the month for the buffet? I see the Mangino's Monday and Friday themes, but not the Garden Gallery.

Just saw on the Shades of Green Facebook page that Uber is allowed on property with an ID card holder. That's all the information I saw. Not sure how they pick you up at the hotel but it is a great option from the airport.

We sponsored a block of rooms for my husbands family and all of them too ubers from the airport with little issue. They did say the ride was A LOT more than expected. Not sure why or what the deal with that was (never taken uber in my life), but his brother uses it regularly and said it was $$$ compared to a similar distance in other places.

I'm staying at SOG for the first time in November. My older DD and her family are flying down with me and staying at All Star Music for the first couple of nights until younger DD (with the military id) arrives. What is the best way to get both ourselves and our luggage to SOG from AsMu? This is my first split stay, we are all looking forward to SOG.

Also, does SOG have transportation to the Wine and Dine half marathon? Younger DD will be running early Sunday morning.

I'm staying at SOG for the first time in November. My older DD and her family are flying down with me and staying at All Star Music for the first couple of nights until younger DD (with the military id) arrives. What is the best way to get both ourselves and our luggage to SOG from AsMu? This is my first split stay, we are all looking forward to SOG.

Also, does SOG have transportation to the Wine and Dine half marathon? Younger DD will be running early Sunday morning.

I'd think getting to the ticket and transportation center and taking the mono rail to the poly & walk the path to SOG. You can call the shady shuttle to come and pick you up from the end of the driveway.

I'm not sure about the race question, sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter