SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Just priced a trip out for somebody and SOG and AStars worked out to exactly the same price. Which would be better for a couple without kids?

For a couple without children I would choose Shades. When we took our son we wanted the over the top Disney theming which Shades doesn't have but for two adults I would prefer being able to walk to the Poly to eat at the restaurants and use the monorail. I would suggest requesting a renovated room (the others are fine but the renovated ones have had a soft refurbishment so they are a bit nicer).

Just priced a trip out for somebody and SOG and AStars worked out to exactly the same price. Which would be better for a couple without kids?

I think it depends exactly do you want to feel surrounded by Disney. Like a previous poster said you aren't surrounded as much which could be nice. For me I love to stay on property. I want to know I am at disney the whole time. Yes while SOG is there and everything just not exactly what I look for. Is the All Stars price the military rate? Depending on exactly your budget you can see if you can stay on property (if that is what you want) and what the military rates are.

I think it depends exactly do you want to feel surrounded by Disney. Like a previous poster said you aren't surrounded as much which could be nice. For me I love to stay on property. I want to know I am at disney the whole time. Yes while SOG is there and everything just not exactly what I look for. Is the All Stars price the military rate? Depending on exactly your budget you can see if you can stay on property (if that is what you want) and what the military rates are.
THNX. It's within $20 for the trip and a romantic get away if that helps

Shades is quieter and the rooms are bigger. There is a sports bar adjacent to the pool and you can take your drink outside. There is a second pool which tends to be quieter and that's where the hot tub is located. We are all adults so we favor the smaller pool and hot tub. We carry our drinks through the magnolia building and out to the smaller pool.
Manginos is usually quite at dinnertime. The walk to the Poly is nice.

There are some drawbacks to staying at Shades. You can only select FPs 30 days in advance whereas at AOA you can make them 60 days out. You can't use the Magical Express. The buses for AK and HS only come once an hour, but you can always use the Poly buses and walk back and forth. There is no food court.

I have several questions about SOG as we have never stayed there. We would need to use the fold out couch for one of our kids. Are the couches very comfortable? Does the Shady Shuttle run all day or only certain hours? Also, are the bus stops for the SOG buses at the parks conveniently located? I don't remember seeing them on our previous trips. Thanks!

The Shady Shuttle runs until 11pm. You can even call them on your way back and they will come pick you up at the end of the driveway.

And we've done the walk at night from the Poly and never seen a snake or a gator. They are on SOG property but we've never encountered one on our walk back.

SOG hands down. We stayed at AoA recently and this is just MY opinion but it felt like a Motel 6 with a Little Mermaid theme. The double beds were pretty uncomfortable as were the pillows. Even the towels seemed cheap. It just wasn't nice and definitely not romantic. We did a split stay with SOG on that trip and I was soooo happy to move. And you can't beat being within walking distance of the Poly IMO.

I had to call SOG this weekend to move a reservation from a night next week to a night in October. Thankfully it was no problem to do so, but I was not able to get the pool view category. I was told the entire Magnolia section will be closed down for refurb starting in October and only Palm rooms will be available. So if anyone is looking for a fall trip, be aware with the entire section closed there will be less availability.

Has anyone purchased the Memory Maker with the military discount? can you purchase it ahead of time or do we need to wait till we get there? Thanks

If you make a reservation and a discount comes out for the dates you have can you have the discount applied to you reservation?

There are some drawbacks to staying at Shades. You can only select FPs 30 days in advance whereas at AOA you can make them 60 days out. You can't use the Magical Express. The buses for AK and HS only come once an hour, but you can always use the Poly buses and walk back and forth. There is no food court.

...and no linking room reservation to your Magicband to pay for meals & gifts inside the parks - sure would be nice, but oh well. We always stay at SOG for the price, location, and ability to use EM hours.

Anyone know how far in advance you usually have to reserve for end of August? I can only get a reservation if my father goes, and due to personal reasons he can't make the reservations yet. We are trying to figure how long to wait until we make alternate plans to stay somewhere else. We have stayed at SOG before, but never in late August.

Thanks for the answer, but I was wondering how late on average I would have to get a reservation for end of August. Like I said, my father has personal reasons he can't make the reservation yet. I want to know at what point I should just pull the trigger and reserve at a different location, like Disney hotel or on-site/non-Disney hotel without him so that I can still be sure to still have a vacation, without fear of him making the reservation, cancelling for his personal reason, and us losing our trip also because we can't stay at SOG without him.

Thanks for the answer, but I was wondering how late on average I would have to get a reservation for end of August. Like I said, my father has personal reasons he can't make the reservation yet. I want to know at what point I should just pull the trigger and reserve at a different location, like Disney hotel or on-site/non-Disney hotel without him so that I can still be sure to still have a vacation, without fear of him making the reservation, cancelling for his personal reason, and us losing our trip also because we can't stay at SOG without him.

It doesn't hurt to make the reservation now as when you make the reservation they charge the credit card for the first night's stay as a deposit. If you cancel the reservation earlier than 30 days prior then they will refund the deposit and you lose nothing. If your father will know whether the trip is workable for him at least 30+ days prior to your arrival then this is probably the best way to go - good luck.

http://shadesofgreen.org/booking.htm

My father just made reservations to stay here in August. Time to celebrate ;) My kids are excited. This will be my third trip to SOG, but it has been several years since the last time since the last two times I went to Disney we stayed at Pop and ASM to take advantage of free Disney Dining Plans.

Does anyone have a list of what the themes are at the evening buffet? Which day of the week is which theme? Trying to plan our ADRs and there are a few theme nights my father wants eat at SOG instead of a Disney restaurant, so I don't want to plan a meal with my family and him on those nights.

My father just made reservations to stay here in August. Time to celebrate ;) My kids are excited. This will be my third trip to SOG, but it has been several years since the last time since the last two times I went to Disney we stayed at Pop and ASM to take advantage of free Disney Dining Plans.

Does anyone have a list of what the themes are at the evening buffet? Which day of the week is which theme? Trying to plan our ADRs and there are a few theme nights my father wants eat at SOG instead of a Disney restaurant, so I don't want to plan a meal with my family and him on those nights.

Shades of Green facebook page updates often with the theme nights and what theme is on what day of the week. Maybe check there.

When I was there in October it was wing night on Sunday, Mexican on Monday, and they had pot roast on Friday. I don't remember the other night's themes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter