Sewing Costumes

Great thread! We leave for WDW in just under a month - :banana: - and I have two costumes to sew before then. We're going to do MNSSHP twice, and DD wants to be a fruit bat and Cinderella. I have the patterns for both, so now I need to get to work!

Cinderella is the only princess DD doesn't want to be! Although she does like the looks of the choker that Cindy wears.

What are you going to make it out of?

BuzzBelleMom said:
Cinderella is the only princess DD doesn't want to be! Although she does like the looks of the choker that Cindy wears.

What are you going to make it out of?

It was really hard to find the right color in a nice, dressy fabric! I ended up finding a nice silk taffeta for the blue. I can't decide about the contrasting fabric, though. Maybe a brocade?

Blue brocade would look great! I am using cotton and baroque satin for most of DD's costumes.

The pink Aurora with the silver threads has to have the sleeves taken out. With the lining, poor DD can barely move her arms. I am not going to line the sleeves of the blue Aurora.

Does anyone know where I might find a pattern for an adult Snow White costume? I would love to make my own.

The Adult Snow White Costume is by McCall's and is #2856. You will probably have to tweak it (it has lacing on the front, sort of like her well costume.)

HTH

hi.

i think i remember a while back (perhaps a year or more now) someone posted a link to an easy Wendy Darling costume pattern. has anyone seen a pattern lately? i've seen some things from butterick's/mccall's that could be modified, but nothing that looks exactly like the dress from the movie.

i saw that there are a few Wendy costumes for sale on ebay. i was thinking they were crazily expensive for a preschooler's costume, but after adding up the potential cost for a pattern, satin(ish) fabric, ribbon,etc., i'm guessing the cost to make the dress will be upwards of $30-40, anyway. does that sound about right? (i'm not the sewer, my mom is...i'm just trying to get stuff lined up for her).

thanks for any ideas!

No, it wouldn't be that expensive if you :

a) bought the pattern when they are like a dollar or two (you need to watch for sales)
b) bought the material with a coupon or on sale. 40% off can really help
c) you probably only need 2-3 yards for a little girl

To give you an example, I am making Ariel's wedding dress for DD. It requires 6 yards. I found some shiny white lining for $1/yard. I got ribbon on sale. The most expensive part are the Hotfix rhinestones we decided to go with because I spent less than $10 on the dress. I got the pattern when it was $1 during a sale at Hobby Lobby.

And besides, some of those store costumes are out of cheap, flimsy material.

HTH

I finally managed to take pictures of the girls' costumes:

this is Amy
September06011.jpg

this is Kelly
September06008.jpg

Sorry it took so long, I wound up in the ER last night with high blood pressure issues four days before we leave for Orlando. Everything is okay now, I'm just thankful that the costumes are complete!

They look great! You take care of yourself and have a blast in Orlando. Let us know how everything went!

Thanks a bunch. I did learn an important lesson: migraine meds and moderate hypertension (even under control like mine is) sometimes don't go together. I think My BP may have been elevated a bit, causing the headache. I took an Imitrex (never again!) and that's when everything went wacky. I'm still trying today to get back to normal. They gave me a version of the migraine shot (phenergan andNubaine), along with a beta blocker and clonadine to bring the BP down. Then after the head CT they gave me a Vicodin. Offered to sent me home with morphine (ha, ha, very funny, I'm a mom that has to function people), which I refused. 24 hours later, I'm just now starting to feel like myself. I'm too old for all those drugs!

Glad you are feeling better. Yikes, what a bad combination.

And why do doctors always assume that moms can take drugs that knock them on their butts? I had a doctor prescribe an allergy med that might cause sleepiness. I took one and woke up 18 hours later....

Are you packed and ready to go?

Nope, nowhere near ready. But that's typical. Jeff's working till 8 tonight, the girls and I are about to start commando cleaning then we'll pack today and tomorrow.

rcraw45425 said:
Nope, nowhere near ready. But that's typical. Jeff's working till 8 tonight, the girls and I are about to start commando cleaning then we'll pack today and tomorrow.

:rotfl:

And I am in full-blown panic mode with 48 days to go!

Of course, if I didn't have 6 more costumes to make, I might be doing better. DS has decided he needs both Prince Charming and Prince Phillip, as well as Captain Hook and Peter Pan.

If, after seeing Little Mermaid, he wants to be Prince Eric, I shall go mad! (He thinks that if he dresses like their prince, he will get more kisses from each princess. He is only 5....)

Good luck with the packing! :)

As of 90 minutes ago, I am not quite half-way through the costume list :Pinkbounc

Finished:

Belle Ball Gown
Sleeping Beauty Pink
Sleeping Beauty Blue
Ariel Wedding Gown

To do:
Jedi (brown)
Prince Phillip
Prince Charming
Captain Hook
Peter Pan (maybe)
Dorothy

Will post photos later.

tonight, about 7PM. Sad to say that they must have done away with the costume contest, we didn't see any party goers riding the floats at all. :( Good new though, Jack Sparrow himself eyed DD during the late parade and played up to her something fierce. Primping, prancing and waving up a storm. Luckily Jeff got it on video, because we had two grown "Minnie Mouses (Mice?)" from Japan in front of us that kept jumping up and down and waving and screaming to the point where every photo I took of the parade has a Minnie sleeve in it!

Glad you are back! Sorry about the contest. As for the Mice Sleeves, I am so short, I get people's heads in my photos!

Asktriplets -- I remember that post on the Wendy costume. I think the OP purchased a pattern for a nightgown that was similar and just raised the waist.

I have done Ariel, pink Aurora, Alice, Belle in her librarian dress, Pocahontas, and am now working on two Jasmines for DGDs, 5 & 7. I keep putting off Cinderella and Belle in her yellow gown, and another Aurora since that one has been outgrown. I love doing these for my DGDs, but I really feel the pressure to get them done in time and do a good job. I have to keep telling myself it's only a Halloween costume, not their wedding gowns!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter