Sewing Costumes

mtblujeans

DIS Veteran
Halloween will be here before we know it and I thought this would be a good place to post costume pattern and idea links and ask questions about sewing them.

Family Fun has all sorts of fairy ideas that are really cute!

DD will probably be Ariel in her wedding gown. I have six or seven costumes to make in 16 weeks before we go to WDW. Whatever is done by Halloween can be worn. :)

Question: does anyone know how to make Prince Charming? I was thinking of taking Captain Hooks jacket and make it white. DS wants to be a prince, so far.

Do you think it would work?

mtblujeans said:
I think that sounds like a great idea! I can't get over how organized you are!! :banana:

Thanks. I have to be. :) DD refuses to wear any scratchy material of which tulle tops the list. She managed to rip out two Disney gowns by tugging at the waist and tripping on the hem, so it is just easier to make them. Cotton is much softer and washes better. Belle, however, has to be satin-like.

And DS has stated that if she get handmade costumes, so does he. I draw the line at Buzz, however.

Belle's gown just needs the zipper, collar sewn on (you know, that piece that goes right above the bust) and covered buttons or roses on the drape and she is done!!! I even won the battle with the pointed waist after two attempts!

( I cheated, I had cut her out in June, but then company came.)

I am thinking Pink Aurora is next. She is half cut out.

Now that Belle is done (except for the rose decorations), I have begun pink Aurora.

She has 16 sections to her skirt. It calls for 2 skirts. I will do that for the pink, but not so sure about the blue.

Anyone else make that pattern?

I've made the Aurora dress. The skirt turns out absolutely beautiful if you make sure to put horsehair braid in the hem ...... really made a difference. The other thing that I made sure to do, was put the wire in the collar to make it stand up. Without that, the dress lost all of its' appeal. I also added opal sequins all around the neck edge .... gave it a little somethin' somethin'. I'm sure that no matter what you do, your daughter will be happy that you put the extra effort into her costume!

I actually made 2 of them last year for my dear friend's daughters for their trip to WDW. I did do the horsehair (actually, it may have been cording), but decided against the wire. My friend didn't want it to come out at any time in the future.

How did you get the jewels to stay on?

bianca said:
I've made the Aurora dress. The skirt turns out absolutely beautiful if you make sure to put horsehair braid in the hem ...... really made a difference. The other thing that I made sure to do, was put the wire in the collar to make it stand up. Without that, the dress lost all of its' appeal. I also added opal sequins all around the neck edge .... gave it a little somethin' somethin'. I'm sure that no matter what you do, your daughter will be happy that you put the extra effort into her costume!

Bianca,

You are a life saver! I am using Barouqe satin on this dress, the others were cotton. I had to run out and buy the horsehair. It is now doable. Thanks so much! It was so frustrating to try to do the cord with satin. It worked so well with the cotton, that I just assumed it would be fine.

Of course, I also have lost my piping foot, so that could be part of it. I love the horsehair braid.

Thanks a million!

BTW:Which wire did you use for the collar?

I can't really give you a specific for what kind of wire it is. It was somewhat larger than a pipe cleaner and I doubled it over on itself ...... if that helps. I'm married to an Electrical Engineer, so I usually can find just the right thing by scrounging around in his workroom!

Thanks for the reply. My husband is a Sytems Architect, so he fixes all my computer problems. The only wire we have here is for jewelry!

Hi, I hate to horn in on this thread but I have costume related question: I have my pattern for my girls (pirates). I plan to use the same pattern for but of them with a few modifications. My complaint is the cheap tissue paper patterns. Have any of you ironed patterns to the fusable lightweight interfacing to keep them from tearing? I'm thinking of trying this this afternoon. My new machine came on Thursday and I'm dying to try it out :)

Nope, never tried that (interfacing ironed to the pattern. Great idea! Guess I am just used to how the patterns are. Though, now that I think about it. My mom used to trace her most-used patterns onto butcher paper, safeguarding the originals.

Let us know how it works. And good luck with the Pirate pattern.

Well, older DD decided not to be a pirate so I decided against all the extra time to iron the pattern onto interfacing. I started on the costume on Sunday, so far I have the pants, vest, and shirt completed. Concidering that I have no real sewing experience, this is major for me. :lmao: I am proud of myself, the pants are the fake distressed leather, as is the vest (lined with red satin) and the shirt is cream muslin. I have to say I have nothing but respect for professional seamstresses now, shirts and pants are a real pain! My only regret so far is that I didn't put chain or something in the back of the vest to weigh it down so that it lays better. Now all I have to do is make the scarf and sash for her, then on to a poodle skirt for the older DD. :rolleyes:

Sounds wonderful! I hit a stumbling block with the Aurora pink bodice, the outside material is too scratchy for my little princess and now I have to hand-sew all the seams to one side. :crazy:

What is your older daughter going to be?

She decided on a bobby soxer, so I'm about to cut out the poodle skirt. I got off really easy there, the pattern gave all the pieces to make the poodle, butI actually found the exact applique from Wrights, already made. Whew! I just got my new machine last Thursday, I'm still learning all the bells and whistles, I'm not sure about sewing the applique on, the lady in the fabric dept. at Wal-Mart told me to use that fabric glue. This will also be my first zipper, although I also bought pink velcro in case I have to improvise. :) I feel your pain about the "itchies". I'm so glad I found the distressed leather looking fabric at Wal-Mart. DD had originally picked out a brown gabardine blend at Hancock. I started the costume using the adult size, the lady at Hobby Lobby told me that patterns run so much off that the kids (4-8) would be too small for her. Well, guess what? The ladies small looked too big for me when I stitched up the pants. So, back to the drawing board. The size 8 worked perfect. My only problem was with the shirt cuffs, so I simply put elastic instead. The pirate is finished now (yippee) so my biggest challenge is behind me. I wish I could post a picture here of it, but alas, I have no clue how to do so.

The lady from Hobby Lobby and I must use different patterns. I have found them to run to the large size. DD takes about a size 12 with store bought and I easily make her about an 8 when I sew. In fact, one of her favorite designs is a size 6 that I just have to lengthen.

In fact, the 2 Auroras I made size 8 and they are looking rather, shall we say, roomy.

As for posting, I always have to have DH do it for me.

Well, I found out that Simplicity and McCalls run different :( The poodle skirt, made at a size 14 (DD wears a 12) was too small when I put in the waistband and zipper. I started trying to "rip" out the band and the fleece/felt started tearing. It now has an elastic waistband and is the perfect length! The store was out of pink felt so a lady there convinced me to use the felt/fleece that you use for blanket sleepers and robes. No need to hem, which is great wit hall that fullness.

I am so sorry that happened to you! Was it the Mc Calls'? I almost always use Simplicity, but had to buy a Butterick for DS's prince costume and am wondering how that will run. Butterick is part of McCall's (I think).

What does your daughter think of the skirt?

She is thrilled with the skirt, I still have to glue on the applique, the "leash" and the "collar". I'm not skilled enugh to attempt to sew the poodle on. The pirate one for Amy (younger DD, 9) is the McCalls one, the instructions seemed a bit strange (the way they put the pants together) but it came in true to size. I"m getting a little more confident now, went back to Hancock's this morning and bought more "stuff". They have a big sale through the holiday, McCalls patterns are 0.99 each, a real bargain! Now we are going to costume the dog :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter