• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September 2020 car rental watch

Good for you!! Unfortunately, my rental went up $33, not the direction I was hopping. In any case, I’m happy with $189 for a 6 day rental, but that doesn’t mean I won’t keep checking.

Good for you!! Unfortunately, my rental went up $33, not the direction I was hopping. In any case, I’m happy with $189 for a 6 day rental, but that doesn’t mean I won’t keep checking.
it was up over $30 yesterday so I feel ya.

I check yesterday and it was down $8.00 for me so I rebook, check today it was up $60.00
Will keep checking

Well, my standard did not change, but premium did, by 3 dollars. Now $316 for standard and $322 for premium. I am really hoping for under $300. Was in the low $200, last year, same number of days, 10. Alamo with free upgrade coupon and Costco.

The Airline moved our flight that we booked (so frustrating) and I had to cancel my original reservation. I was able to snag a decent one via the Costco website for Sept 6th - 19th on a Standard SUV totaling $408.00.
I will keep looking.

My rental is up over $100 from two days ago. Yikes. $331 might be my best rate for 12 days.

Got a Standard SUV for 10 days with Budget via Costco for $303. I was paying more for a full-size sedan with Avis. Also supposedly I will get a $25 cash card from Costco.

And I was able to link the reservation to my FastBreak account which should allow me to skip the terminal counter.

Alamo rental price came back down to the rate I got. For a while there, I figured I had my lowest. Now there’s some hope it might go lower.

Wanted to second using Costco for rentals next month - typically book Dollar but they've been crazy high. Costco gave me a fullsize SUV for $70 cheaper than the lowest price I've been able to find for a Midsize or Full car at Dollar.

Just had a little bit of magic today. We ordered a standard size suv from Alamo. Today, when we picked our car we accidentally picked a full size suv (because I don‘t know the difference between a standard size and a full size suv...and they’re mixed together in the same row). The girl who checked us out didn’t say a thing but when I checked the receipt, it showed that we got a full size....for the same rate. Sweet. 😁

Alamo rental price came back down to the rate I got. For a while there, I figured I had my lowest. Now there’s some hope it might go lower.
Wanted to second using Costco for rentals next month - typically book Dollar but they've been crazy high. Costco gave me a fullsize SUV for $70 cheaper than the lowest price I've been able to find for a Midsize or Full car at Dollar.
Nice you both had some movement

Can u both share length of res & price to help those of us with existing reservations compare our rates?

Thru DHs Corp rate have Avis (VW Jetta I think is standard?) for 10 days picking up on 9/26 for $254

Nice you both had some movement

Can u both share length of res & price to help those of us with existing reservations compare our rates?

Thru DHs Corp rate have Avis (VW Jetta I think is standard?) for 10 days picking up on 9/26 for $254

I have a standard car rental from 9/14 to 9/20 for $189 through Alamo, reserved via Costco. I can also get a standard SUV for $224 for the same period. I normally put the return time for approximately 90 minutes before my departure, while returning it 2+ hours before. For some reason, that time difference increased the rate to $214. I suggest playing around with the pickup and return times to see if your rate changes.

I have a standard car rental from 9/14 to 9/20 for $189 through Alamo, reserved via Costco. I can also get a standard SUV for $224 for the same period. I normally put the return time for approximately 90 minutes before my departure, while returning it 2+ hours before. For some reason, that time difference increased the rate to $214. I suggest playing around with the pickup and return times to see if your rate changes.
Yes, always ck fudging the time period a bit can help. have been told up to 2 hrs difference is allowable when I’ve inquired Although if paying for a full day anyway, I’d have no issue returning it sometime within that day

in my case the extra daily fee rate (3 days over standard weekly, 10 day period) are coming in rather high...upping the total

Just had a little bit of magic today. We ordered a standard size suv from Alamo. Today, when we picked our car we accidentally picked a full size suv (because I don‘t know the difference between a standard size and a full size suv...and they’re mixed together in the same row). The girl who checked us out didn’t say a thing but when I checked the receipt, it showed that we got a full size....for the same rate. Sweet. 😁
Alamo lets you upgrade without a problem. The person checking you out doesn't know what was offered you so threy don't stop you. Its always best to book a lower priced car. Most times booking a mid size is best.its the most popular and they run short on them. Which means when you arrive to choose your own car, the aisle is full of larger more desirable choices for the same low price! Another tip, Drive Happy rates mean you can pretty much pick any vehicle, except maybe a premium or specialty car. The way to rent from Alamo, which it's the best at MCO imo, is to utilize the kiosk or check in online when you arrive. Avoid the desk and their upgrade tactics. Just head to the garage and choose your car. If someone asks if you need assistance just say you got it!
I have rented from Alamo for years without incident. When there is an issue talk to the guys at the booth in the garage, they are the ones who help you and are great.
Also, when using costco you don't have to book through them. Just copy down the corporate id and put in on Alamo website along with any coupon code. They aren't always the best discount so google and try other corporate codes with different combination coupons.
Because Alamo let's you upgrade in MCO anyway, upgrade coupons are not the best discount.
Keep in mind Alamo doesn't ever ask for actual coupons or corporate ids or costco card.

Yes, always ck fudging the time period a bit can help. have been told up to 2 hrs difference is allowable when I’ve inquired Although if paying for a full day anyway, I’d have no issue returning it sometime within that day

in my case the extra daily fee rate (3 days over standard weekly, 10 day period) are coming in rather high...upping the total
Its good to know, Once you have a rental booked it is good for the 24 hr period of the day of pickup. Just use 12 noon. It won't matter unless you go past the 12 or 24 hr mark. If that's the case they will auto adjust the extra charge based on your daily rate at booking by minute or hours. If you return early you will be charged for whatever time you used that day up to the daily rate. Also booking direct is better in that if you keep the car after the return date or need to make changes, you will be charged only the daily rate at booking and not have to contact your booking company. (You can still use any corporate code or coupon from that site in Alamo directly) If you use a 3rd party booking website it will trigger another weekly or daily rate at current prices. Ive had that happen and was charged 100. For an extra day! but the office booth in the garage fixed it for me since i didn't know and told me to book direct next time.
You may be better off booking 2
separate weeks for your 14 days using 2 coupon codes for $$ off when they are offered. You can always return early for an adjusted cheaper price too. Just when booking 2 weeks back to back call the mco Alamo directly not 800# to tell them you want to keep your car you have for the second week booked. Then you do not have to go back to airport. They are good with that. booking weeks back to back also gives you a chance to keep checking rates up to pick up day for better rates.

Its good to know, Once you have a rental booked it is good for the 24 hr period of the day of pickup. Just use 12 noon. It won't matter unless you go past the 12 or 24 hr mark. If that's the case they will auto adjust the extra charge based on your daily rate at booking by minute or hours. If you return early you will be charged for whatever time you used that day up to the daily rate. Also booking direct is better in that if you keep the car after the return date or need to make changes, you will be charged only the daily rate at booking and not have to contact your booking company. (You can still use any corporate code or coupon from that site in Alamo directly) If you use a 3rd party booking website it will trigger another weekly or daily rate at current prices. Ive had that happen and was charged 100. For an extra day! but the office booth in the garage fixed it for me since i didn't know and told me to book direct next time.
You may be better off booking 2
separate weeks for your 14 days using 2 coupon codes for $$ off when they are offered. You can always return early for an adjusted cheaper price too. Just when booking 2 weeks back to back call the mco Alamo directly not 800# to tell them you want to keep your car you have for the second week booked. Then you do not have to go back to airport. They are good with that. booking weeks back to back also gives you a chance to keep checking rates up to pick up day for better rates.
You can also pre pay & checkin at the airport online once you arrive and save extra 10%!

Alamo lets you upgrade without a problem. The person checking you out doesn't know what was offered you so threy don't stop you. Its always best to book a lower priced car. Most times booking a mid size is best.its the most popular and they run short on them. Which means when you arrive to choose your own car, the aisle is full of larger more desirable choices for the same low price! Another tip, Drive Happy rates mean you can pretty much pick any vehicle, except maybe a premium or specialty car. The way to rent from Alamo, which it's the best at MCO imo, is to utilize the kiosk or check in online when you arrive. Avoid the desk and their upgrade tactics. Just head to the garage and choose your car. If someone asks if you need assistance just say you got it!
I have rented from Alamo for years without incident. When there is an issue talk to the guys at the booth in the garage, they are the ones who help you and are great.
Also, when using costco you don't have to book through them. Just copy down the corporate id and put in on Alamo website along with any coupon code. They aren't always the best discount so google and try other corporate codes with different combination coupons.
Because Alamo let's you upgrade in MCO anyway, upgrade coupons are not the best discount.
Keep in mind Alamo doesn't ever ask for actual coupons or corporate ids or costco card.

I’ve been renting from Alamo at MCO for years and I didn’t know half of that. Thank you for taking the time to share it all...I’ll definitely be using it in the future.

You can also pre pay & checkin at the airport online once you arrive and save extra 10%!
Thanks for this great information! I didn’t realize all of this. But one question I have is I heard currently due to the pandemic the keys are not in the cars and you have to obtain from the guys in the booth. Is that going to be a game changer or can you just say I want that car and they are helpful to just give them to you or will they say, sorry that isn’t what you rented???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter