• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Self-service in Cabanas

This was shortly after dry dock on the Wonder in 2017. They added the hand wash station in Cabanas and even better a small sink outside of Eye Scream.
I prefer to wash my hand with soap and water vs a wipe or even worse hand sanitizer.

The last year of wipes and hand sanitizer has been very hard for me🤣🤣 (sarcasm)
410FEF9E-AEDA-4A88-A154-717C92DC5D9A.jpegC1A749D8-739F-4013-8CAB-F6EB1156B010.jpeg

That’s how it’s supposed to be but IMO a lot of people don´t know that and I had a guy (who was at the opposite side of the station, utensils in hand, still serving himself another item) snap at me once because of that.

I hope you set him straight. As I get older, I don't take that crap from people anymore.

I hope you set him straight. As I get older, I don't take that crap from people anymore.

No excuse for rudeness, but to be fair, DCL could make it clearer that it’s not one single line. The only reason I knew about the separate “pods” on my first cruise was because I heard about them on a DIS Unplugged podcast beforehand.

No excuse for rudeness, but to be fair, DCL could make it clearer that it’s not one single line. The only reason I knew about the separate “pods” on my first cruise was because I heard about them on a DIS Unplugged podcast beforehand.
There should probably be a required video orientation before each cruise, that has a multiple choice test that people have to pass before the booking is finalized. Topics that could be covered include:
  • how to get food at Cabanas & the fact that there is no concept of "cutting" there
  • the importance of handwashing before getting food at Cabanas
  • the fact that you, yes you, really you, are not supposed to save a bunch of seats in the theater
  • and the same for leaving petty items on pool deck chairs for hours to "reserve" the chairs
  • proper attire for Palo and Remy
  • the fact that snapping at people for perceived transgression of the rules (whether you're right or wrong) is rude
It would make for a nicer cruise, maybe one truly worth the DCL premium.

There should probably be a required video orientation before each cruise, that has a multiple choice test that people have to pass before the booking is finalized. Topics that could be covered include:
  • how to get food at Cabanas & the fact that there is no concept of "cutting" there
  • the importance of handwashing before getting food at Cabanas
  • the fact that you, yes you, really you, are not supposed to save a bunch of seats in the theater
  • and the same for leaving petty items on pool deck chairs for hours to "reserve" the chairs
  • proper attire for Palo and Remy
  • the fact that snapping at people for perceived transgression of the rules (whether you're right or wrong) is rude
It would make for a nicer cruise, maybe one truly worth the DCL premium.

Amen to that. But I feel like the real problem is that, barring the Cabanas thing, most people already know the rules, but nonetheless comport themselves as if said rules don’t apply to them.

Last edited:
Amen to that. But I feel like the real problem is that, barring the Cabanas thing, most people already know the rules, but nonetheless comport themselves as if said rules don’t apply to them.
Well, yeah. I was kidding.

Agreed. They should make it clearer.

That being said, my presence didn’t block him from accessing anything as he was already busy serving himself some other item. The guy was just very « entitled ». He didn’t even get the item I was going for. Fans of the tv show Friends will get the reference if I say this was a « I could have a cat » kind of situation.

Agreed. They should make it clearer.

That being said, my presence didn’t block him from accessing anything as he was already busy serving himself some other item. The guy was just very « entitled ». He didn’t even get the item I was going for. Fans of the tv show Friends will get the reference if I say this was a « I could have a cat » kind of situation.

Is his name “Bob Buttons”? 😄

We were on the WBPC when they went to "serving" from the buffet. I was kind of confused and not sure quite what to make of it on the first day of the "new" process. After 3-4 days, It just became normal.

My "funny" antidote was I wanted to make "Southern Style Eggs Benedict." (also called Country Style Eggs Bene). Now for you people who did not grow up with biscuits and lard, (myself included), this is eggs benedict with country gravy in lieu of hollandaise. It's delightfully not healthy in the least. So I go up to this server, ask for the plain English muffin with egg and ham, no hollandaise. I take this plate further back the line to the Jamaican guy serving the biscuits and gravy. I ask politely if I could have some gravy drizzled over the top of the bare eggs bene. He looks at me, slightly confused, but reaches for the ladle and drapes the open faced sandwich with the gravy. He asks what is this creation? I say we call it southern style eggs benedict in my town. He chuckles, probably thinks I'm crazy, and I walk away to enjoy my delectable feast of butter, butter, and fat. The next morning, I see the same server. He comes up to me smiling saying "I tried that for breakfast today!" and went on and on about how good it was. I'm not saying I'm solely responsible for his gaining of 5 lbs, but I like to think I just spread a little edible diplomacy to the island of Jamaica.

TL DR: Thought it weird at first, then got used to it with no problems.

my delectable feast of butter, butter, and fat.

tenor.gif

We were on a cruise once right after a norovirus outbreak and we were served Everything. After the first couple of days, I was used to it. It was definitely different, but do-able. I wouldn't mind it. I just want to sail already

I was not implying to be rude, but I sure as heck explain to people about how the system works. Otherwise, they think that they are in the right and probably say things to other people. I rather explain to people that what I am doing is how it was intended, then for them to keep thinking that it is OK to tell other's how to get their food.

I was not implying to be rude, but I sure as heck explain to people about how the system works. Otherwise, they think that they are in the right and probably say things to other people. I rather explain to people that what I am doing is how it was intended, then for them to keep thinking that it is OK to tell other's how to get their food.
Nothing wrong with explaining politely, that's for sure. I've seen CM's tell people to feel free to go wherever they like at Cabanas, but that's been the exception rather than the norm. A sign or something alerting people would be nice.

No, I think there was a disconnect.

I was not referring to you. I meant that the guy crabbing at @mevelandry had no excuse to be rude, but he could be forgiven for thinking it was supposed to be a single line, since DCL doesn’t make the “pod” thing very clear.

I meant that the guy crabbing at @mevelandry had no excuse to be rude, but he could be forgiven for thinking it was supposed to be a single line, since DCL doesn’t make the “pod” thing very clear.
Meh. Call me mean but I don't forgive people who crab at strangers on vacation over stuff like that. Whether they're right or wrong, it's rude and uncalled for, and just puts a damper on the trip. What's the point in being nasty?

I still remember the time a couple of years ago I was at Beach Club, and set my beach bag (which I had kept in the locker while swimming to avoid being an empty chair hog) on a lounger for a moment as I stood next to it and dried off with a towel prior to going inside. A guy a lounger or two away snapped, "Those chairs are taken!" in a very nasty way. Goodness gracious. It's not like he owned those empty chairs for one thing. For another thing, why be so mean on your vacation? He could have said the same thing in a nice way. Being talked to that way darkened my mood for awhile, and that's a miserable thing to happen during your hard-earned vacation.

Off-topic but I've noticed that kind of thing never happens when I'm in the company of my 6 foot 2 inch male S.O. Only when I'm a female alone (& I'm pretty simple and plain-looking, not someone who would impress or intimidate anyone). Some people are just bullies, and if they think another person is weaker/lower status, they don't mind being aggressively rude even though they'd never do it to a stronger/higher-status person.

Last edited:
Meh. Call me mean but I don't forgive people who crab at strangers on vacation over stuff like that. Whether they're right or wrong, it's rude and uncalled for, and just puts a damper on the trip. What's the point in being nasty?

I still remember the time a couple of years ago I was at Beach Club, and set my beach bag (which I had kept in the locker while swimming to avoid being an empty chair hog) on a lounger for a moment as I stood next to it and dried off with a towel prior to going inside. A guy a lounger or two away snapped, "Those chairs are taken!" in a very nasty way. Goodness gracious. It's not like he owned those empty chairs for one thing. For another thing, why be so mean on your vacation? He could have said the same thing in a nice way. Being talked to that way darkened my mood for awhile, and that's a miserable thing to happen during your hard-earned vacation.

Off-topic but I've noticed that kind of thing never happens when I'm in the company of my 6 foot 2 inch male S.O. Only when I'm a female alone (& I'm pretty simple and plain-looking, not someone who would impress or intimidate anyone). Some people are just bullies, and if they think another person is weaker/lower status, they don't mind being aggressively rude even though they'd never do it to a stronger/higher-status person.

Absolutely there are plenty of bullies out there. I noticed that working in food service. Men would come in and ONLY bully the young ladies that worked there. They would say nasty things to them, call them stupid, etc just to get free extra stuff. They never did that to the young guys, or any guys. One of the most pathetic things to witness is a grown man bullying a teenage girl to get some extra toppings for his salad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter