Self-service in Cabanas

squirk

Saw what you did and knows who you are.
Is it just me, or is anyone else a little bummed out at the prospect that, for the foreseeable future, your food in Cabanas will have to be plated for/served to you?

It’s not a dealbreaker or anything. I just have always enjoyed picking things out myself at buffets. It’ll be weird asking people for stuff.

Am I alone in this?

That's at the bottom of my list of concerns, but a little. I like to take a tiny bit of many things then go back for more of what I like. I wonder if we'll get them to give a tiny spoonful of something or if it will automatically be a full helping.

When it’s the system in place, I just roll with it. I don’t want my food to be lumped together, so I just have to ask for small servings (that Is not what they expect to do).

Now, if it were self-service and I was asking them to serve me - if I had a personality quirk, then I would hope I felt weird about it.

I dealt with a medical issue that gave some limitations (recovered now), but it does teach you that a polite request is usually responded to with kindness.

I will comply with nearly any changes if this industry would open up! I can't even imagine all the persons (not just crew, but dockworkers, and collateral industries like food distribution and hotels) whose income has been impacted negatively by this extended shut down. I don't know what the thinking is...restaurants are open on land, theaters (movies, at least) are open on land, plenty of outdoor space, shops/ malls are open on land.... Heck, there's more people in my local Walmart on a Saturday than on a cruise ship!! ....????

Is it just me, or is anyone else a little bummed out at the prospect that, for the foreseeable future, your food in Cabanas will have to be plated for/served to you?

It’s not a dealbreaker or anything. I just have always enjoyed picking things out myself at buffets. It’ll be weird asking people for stuff.

Am I alone in this?
Not at all bummed about the possibility. There was a time when Holland America made the self-serve buffet a crew plated service on the first 3 days of any given cruise. That was to show that such a move would control norovirus onboard. It did help - norovirus did not happen with the same frequency as before the change. That said, they dropped doing it, I believe mostly be cause people complained about it.

I don't get it. If it's something that's going to make it safer for me, I'm for whatever protocols are set up. You still get to pick what you want, so the food is the same.

Last edited:
That's at the bottom of my list of concerns, but a little. I like to take a tiny bit of many things then go back for more of what I like. I wonder if we'll get them to give a tiny spoonful of something or if it will automatically be a full helping.

They are going to scoop out a bunch. I just smile and ask nicely for exactly what I want. I’ve heard, “like this?” many times.

I have germ OCD - so it would actually be a welcomed change for me. We usually only go to the buffet on the first day and maybe for breakfast if it's not crowded. We do go to Palo Brunch, but 1/2 the time that is served by the crew members also. Not as much traffic, but it still freaks me out a bit - nothing that a few mimosas can't fix!

To be clear, I’m not bashing the policy. I get the health and hygiene reasons behind it.

I don’t know - I kind of like the DIY aspect of a self-serve buffet. I want a lot of this, a little of that. And I might change my mind along the way.

As @deliela999 said, it just would feel awkward to tell a CM, “Oh, that’s not enough crab legs,” or “Sorry, that’s too many fries” or “I need five pumps of ketchup, not three, please” (unless they just set out a bunch of little cups).

To be clear, I’m not bashing the policy. I get the health and hygiene reasons behind it.

I don’t know - I kind of like the DIY aspect of a self-serve buffet. I want a lot of this, a little of that. And I might change my mind along the way.

As @deliela999 said, it just would feel awkward to tell a CM, “Oh, that’s not enough crab legs,” or “Sorry, that’s too many fries” or “I need five pumps of ketchup, not three, please” (unless they just set out a bunch of little cups).
Now, me..... I have no issue saying "more fries, please" or "5 sugars, please". I figure the servers are there to do a job, serve up what I ask for.

Personally didn't like the food there to start with so not a huge loss for me.

Would prefer them shutting it down and creating more of a quick service style counters like that of disney parks with each station becoming a quick service restaurant of sorts.

Doubt it happens and you will be back to serving yourself soon.

Am I alone in this?
It was not a big change when they started doing this on the last Panama Canal Cruise when everything shut down. I am with you that I like a little of many different things. They did tend to give larger servings, so I did had to waste food and throw some away. Maybe with some practice they will perfect “just a little“. 😃

Now, me..... I have no issue saying "more fries, please" or "5 sugars, please". I figure the servers are there to do a job, serve up what I ask for.

Ehhh, that’s just not me. Can’t really say why it feels weird.

Not, like, oh-my-god-I-can’t-be-served-by-others-at-a-buffet-so-now-I-can’t-ever-go-back-to-Cabanas “weird”. Just low-level “weird.”

Ehhh, that’s just not me. Can’t really say why it feels weird.

Not, like, oh-my-god-I-can’t-be-served-by-others-at-a-buffet-so-now-I-can’t-ever-go-back-to-Cabanas “weird”. Just low-level “weird.”

Oh, I hear you. You are definitely not alone. You asked; some Of those who answered are not weirded out but are looking forward to being served.

Picking what you want and how much you want is part of what makes buffets so appealing. There’s a bit of independence to it.

One of the things I enjoy on DCL is watching kids get their own sodas or food at the fast food windows (not really at buffets). They are growing up.

Picking what you want and how much you want is part of what makes buffets so appealing. There’s a bit of independence to it.

Exactly. And it’s easier/quicker to put together exactly the plate you want vs. asking the CM at this station for the right amount of “X,” and the CM at this other station for the right amount of “Y.”

Of course, I know my OCD doesn’t override the larger health issues in play. I just hope that when the time is right, we can go back to self-serve.

I also wouldn’t want someone cutting my steak for me. Now that could weird me out.

Yeah, I have never liked that in the MDR. I know it’s part of the “schtick,” but it’s not for me. Always feels just a little bit like I’m being infantilized. But since it’s over in 10 seconds, I play along in good humor vs. making a fuss.

Yeah, I have never liked that in the MDR. I know it’s part of the “schtick,” but it’s not for me. Always feels just a little bit like I’m being infantilized. But since it’s over in 10 seconds, I play along in good humor vs. making a fuss.
They cut your steak for you? I've only ever heard of them doing that (after asking) for mom (or dad) when dealing with young children at meals, so that they can also eat the meal when it's hot.

I'm actually hopeful they do this... every cruise I see a kid toss some bacon back into the tray or pick up the serving spoon they dropped and put it back. Adults are not blameless, but it does tend to be the kiddos who don't know better yet. :crazy2: The only time I'm not wondering in the back of my mind if something happened prior to my arrival is when I see the staff put out a fresh tray.

As far as feeling weird asking for things.... I'm like that a lot of the time, but not in this kind of scenario. They have seen it ALL and frankly there is nothing I do that is even a blip in their day. The only thing I dislike is when they think they know what I want... there is always a time I do NOT want that, I want something else, but if its already made and waiting for me, it's just awkward. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter