Seizures in Dogs

Yeah, it makes them clumsy. I think my dogs is made of steel (he is made of rubber actually), his doses are nuts, and he is just a bit clumsy. When he had lower doses, you couldn't even tell. Now it shows occasionally, but not all the time. He does agility (he will never be able to compete again) and he occasionally knocks down the jumps because his feet drag sometimes.
My other dog is like Kramer from Seinfeld--a big Doberman mix, runs in the house so fast she almost always takes the corner too fast and crashes into the cabinets (lol). My seizure dog, the falling is all new. Poor things! But yours from doing agility and now dragging his feet :(. All of this also makes me think of children (or even adults) with epilepsy, how hard it must be :(. Hopefully the meds for humans are better than what we have to deal with for our dogs.

My other dog is like Kramer from Seinfeld--a big Doberman mix, runs in the house so fast she almost always takes the corner too fast and crashes into the cabinets (lol). My seizure dog, the falling is all new. Poor things! But yours from doing agility and now dragging his feet :(. All of this also makes me think of children (or even adults) with epilepsy, how hard it must be :(. Hopefully the meds for humans are better than what we have to deal with for our dogs.
Ha, that actually describes him too. He falls down all the time, because of the same reason, he runs so dang fast, he spins his wheels and slides all over the place.
Actually the meds are dogs take are human meds too. My BIL has a son with seizures and he has been on all the same meds my dog has been on.

Ha, that actually describes him too. He falls down all the time, because of the same reason, he runs so dang fast, he spins his wheels and slides all over the place.
Actually the meds are dogs take are human meds too. My BIL has a son with seizures and he has been on all the same meds my dog has been on.
Is the process to find the correct dose the same too? It would be scary to drive etc!

My guys sibling had a second seizure last night. She had her first Feb 13th, she isn't on meds yet. I feel so bad for them. It's hard enough to go through it myself, but then to think of their sweet girl having one also, is terrible.
Darn - so sorry this is happening. Just wish they can find a better med to help these poor pups

Oh my - ha ha - our dog is over the top running full speed all the time. He has no idea what the meaning of "chill out" is!!!

Yesterday I was going to post, we have made it 7 weeks now!, but I didn't get a chance. Now today I post , we made it to 7 weeks and 1 day, and now the countdown starts again at zero :-(. Now to see if they stay the course or adjust meds. I really really don't want to dope him up anymore.

Yesterday I was going to post, we have made it 7 weeks now!, but I didn't get a chance. Now today I post , we made it to 7 weeks and 1 day, and now the countdown starts again at zero :-(. Now to see if they stay the course or adjust meds. I really really don't want to dope him up anymore.
Oh No!! This is so hard never knowing when it will happen again. Come back and let us know what the vet says. Thinking of you!!

Oh No!! This is so hard never knowing when it will happen again. Come back and let us know what the vet says. Thinking of you!!
staying the course for now. now we go back to counting and fear that the next one will come too soon.

staying the course for now. now we go back to counting and fear that the next one will come too soon.
UGHHHHHHHHHHH - my dog had a seizure two nights ago. I'm heartbroken. This is the first one since being put on meds - Keppra. Plus, he only went about 10 weeks from the last seizure. In total he has had 3 seizures since last September.

The good thing, if you can call it that, is that this seizure was VERY quick. A minute or so and he came right out of it but was very tired the day following (it happened at 11:00pm).

Right now the vet doesn't want to change his meds and wait and see when another one happens.

It's like walking on glass, never knowing when it will happen again.

The vet did talk about doing diagnostic tests. Have any of you gone through that? One would be keeping the dog for the day and watching his blood sugar levels. They said diabeties is a possibility?? Never heard of that before.

Back to square one, once again.......

UGHHHHHHHHHHH - my dog had a seizure two nights ago. I'm heartbroken. This is the first one since being put on meds - Keppra. Plus, he only went about 10 weeks from the last seizure. In total he has had 3 seizures since last September.

The good thing, if you can call it that, is that this seizure was VERY quick. A minute or so and he came right out of it but was very tired the day following (it happened at 11:00pm).

Right now the vet doesn't want to change his meds and wait and see when another one happens.

The vet did talk about doing diagnostic tests. Have any of you gone through that? One would be keeping the dog for the day and watching his blood sugar levels. They said diabeties is a possibility?? Never heard of that before.

I'm sorry :-(
Since we only went 7 weeks, I would be thrilled with 10 (I know that doesn't help at all). I would agree with waiting to see when/if the next one comes at this point. Once you start increasing meds you can't go back.
I know about walking on glass, every moment of every day. It sucks. We have had 14 since March 30th of last year, that we know of. We suspect he might have had an additional one last summer, when we weren't home.
I have not heard anything about diabetes.
Edited to add, 1 minute? Our short ones are still 3-4 minutes plus another 10-12 of recovery. But he is totally fine after that. The next morning you would have no idea.

Since we only went 7 weeks, I would be thrilled with 10 (I know that doesn't help at all). I would agree with waiting to see when/if the next one comes at this point. Once you start increasing meds you can't go back.
I know about walking on glass, every moment of every day. It sucks. We have had 14 since March 30th of last year, that we know of. We suspect he might have had an additional one last summer, when we weren't home.
Edited to add, 1 minute? Our short ones are still 3-4 minutes plus another 10-12 of recovery. But he is totally fine after that. The next morning you would have no idea.
Yes only one minute was the seizure last week HOWEVER - he isn't himself for a day or two after. Not only that - he has always slept in bed with my daughter and he hasn't since the seizure. She is heartbroken. This most recent seizure was around 11:30 at night and he woke up and jumped off the bed and then had it. I don't know if he is scared or what. Ugh my heart breaks.....

OMG! I never saw this!!!! I was just coming on here to ask how everyone was doing and mention something my Dr said today. How is your dog doing now? Any updates? I am so sorry your dog had a seizure. Hopefully none since Coincidentally, mine had one the same night! I never made it back on here. She had another yesterday (38 days later). I spoke with the neurologist today and she asked what manufacturer of the Levetiracetam our generic meds are. There are two companies (according to her) that have less efficacy in their generic versions. One is Lupin and the other Blue Point. I just looked ours up. The first manufacturer we had was Lupin but she finished that and is into a bottle of Apotex manufactured Levetiracetam now. I have a call in regarding the efficacy of the Apotex. Seriously, if these generic meds aren't the same efficacy what is the point??? Let me know how your dog is doing and if you learned anything else.

How is your dog doing, elgerber??

How is your dog doing, elgerber??
He had one Friday Night/Sat early am (1am) :-(. 6 weeks and technically 3 days. I still have to call and report it to the vet to see if they want to change anything. I really don't want any more meds in him, but I hate these darn seizures too. It's soul crushing everytime he has one, as now we back to zero in our countdown, and you never know if he will have another one super close.

How is everybody elses pups doing?

OMG! I never saw this!!!! I was just coming on here to ask how everyone was doing and mention something my Dr said today. How is your dog doing now? Any updates? I am so sorry your dog had a seizure. Hopefully none since Coincidentally, mine had one the same night! I never made it back on here. She had another yesterday (38 days later). I spoke with the neurologist today and she asked what manufacturer of the Levetiracetam our generic meds are. There are two companies (according to her) that have less efficacy in their generic versions. One is Lupin and the other Blue Point. I just looked ours up. The first manufacturer we had was Lupin but she finished that and is into a bottle of Apotex manufactured Levetiracetam now. I have a call in regarding the efficacy of the Apotex. Seriously, if these generic meds aren't the same efficacy what is the point??? Let me know how your dog is doing and if you learned anything else.
You are just the sweetest - thank you for checking back in and giving us this information. I just looked at his bottle of meds and the manufacturer shows LUPI which I assume is Lupin. Did the neurologist recommend a manufacturer? I want to bring this up to our vet but would like to know a manufacturer name that works.

No more seizures since May 26th so its 6 weeks today. However we did start giving him CBD and WOW has that helped to calm him down. It is very expensive so we've cut the dose down a bit to stretch it out.

We are going on vacation this month for a week and my Dad will come to my house to watch him so we want to keep the CBD going through that time.

Also - did you know that Purina makes a dog food that is for seizures???? Its Purina NEURO CARE. We ordered 2 bags online from Chewy and they had to call our vet to approve the order. We haven't started it yet. We want to see how long he goes from the last seizure having introduced CBD now to him. I will keep you updated.

He had one Friday Night/Sat early am (1am) :-(. 6 weeks and technically 3 days. I still have to call and report it to the vet to see if they want to change anything. I really don't want any more meds in him, but I hate these darn seizures too. It's soul crushing everytime he has one, as now we back to zero in our countdown, and you never know if he will have another one super close.

How is everybody elses pups doing?
So sorry to hear this. Ugh it's the worst! See my reply I just posted to Paisleys - has some info about what we're now doing with our dog.

You are just the sweetest - thank you for checking back in and giving us this information. I just looked at his bottle of meds and the manufacturer shows LUPI which I assume is Lupin. Did the neurologist recommend a manufacturer? I want to bring this up to our vet but would like to know a manufacturer name that works.

No more seizures since May 26th so its 6 weeks today. However we did start giving him CBD and WOW has that helped to calm him down. It is very expensive so we've cut the dose down a bit to stretch it out.

We are going on vacation this month for a week and my Dad will come to my house to watch him so we want to keep the CBD going through that time.

Also - did you know that Purina makes a dog food that is for seizures???? Its Purina NEURO CARE. We ordered 2 bags online from Chewy and they had to call our vet to approve the order. We haven't started it yet. We want to see how long he goes from the last seizure having introduced CBD now to him. I will keep you updated.
Interesting on the manufacturer info. I have on idea who ours is, they are in prescription bottles from the vet.

what CBD did you buy?

Also interesting on the food.

I am waiting for a call back from his Neuro, his bromide blood levels are way down.

Interesting on the manufacturer info. I have on idea who ours is, they are in prescription bottles from the vet.

what CBD did you buy?

Also interesting on the food.

I am waiting for a call back from his Neuro, his bromide blood levels are way down.
We ordered from ELLEVET SCIENCES CBD. It's expensive though. Looking around now for others that may be less expensive. Our dog is around 75 pounds so it doesn't take long to go through the small bottle when you give it twice a day.....

Now what are bromide blood levels and how do you check them?

Run the manufacturer info by your Neuro and see what they say.

We ordered from ELLEVET SCIENCES CBD. It's expensive though. Looking around now for others that may be less expensive. Our dog is around 75 pounds so it doesn't take long to go through the small bottle when you give it twice a day.....

Potassium Bromide is the other med he is on, they occasionally check the level of the drug in his blood to make sure he is getting the right dosage.

We've used the ELLEVET CBD for several years now and have had great success. Our girl is also on potassium bromide...and we generally only check her levels (with a blood test) during her annual exam, or if we're adjusting the dosage because she's had a run of seizures. We haven't had that issue since we started the CBD though. Hoping our luck holds out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter