• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seeking Sister Wives

I think it's odd that the one family that just all moved into one big house is so concerned about their neighbors finding out that they have to make up a cover story and have kids lie ... but they're on a TV show for all the world to see?
It’s not like people won’t figure it out. It’s not uncommon in Utah and no one is going to buy the visiting aunt, live in nanny story.

I think it's odd that the one family that just all moved into one big house is so concerned about their neighbors finding out that they have to make up a cover story and have kids lie ... but they're on a TV show for all the world to see?
They were hoping you wouldn't notice. ;)
This was filmed a year in advance since then the Brown fought and won changed the laws in Utah.
But they were still willing to be taped at the same time they were worried about being found out. It's apparently moot now, but at the time it was perhaps a valid concern.

I am telling you, Auralee is the manipulator and she’s recruited Angela. I think April is that way because she’s been defending herself against Auralee for the past twelve years. I can’t explain it but you know how sometimes you just have a gut feeling about someone? Auralee pleads her case too much. And Drew lets them complain about each other to him AND takes sides! Say what you will about Kody Brown but that crap doesn’t play with him.

I think Dimitri wants lots of babies and Ashley isn’t down for that so she’s agreeing to the sister wife thing.

A damn shame Melina didn’t show. Of all the families this one seems the most stable. The wives really seem to care about each other and work together.
I went online to find a message board strictly to see if anyone else viewed Auralee this way as well. I had a family member accuse me of motives I hadn't even fathomed before, and then it hit me that she was projecting on me the motivations that she would have in the same situation. The martyrdom is strong with Auralee and hopefully Angela at least starts seeing both sides.

Make no mistake, #2 is just as bad if not worse than #1. She absolutely knows how to manipulate the situation to get what she wants while playing the poor put upon wife. Look who ended up in the Master with the husband.

I agree about the African American couple. She seems very strong but I can’t get past feeling she’s doing this for him and not with him.

That baffles me too. The objective is to bring as many souls as they can into the world so? They can’t have any real feelings about her yet.

I went online to find a message board strictly to see if anyone else viewed Auralee this way as well. I had a family member accuse me of motives I hadn't even fathomed before, and then it hit me that she was projecting on me the motivations that she would have in the same situation. The martyrdom is strong with Auralee and hopefully Angela at least starts seeing both sides.

I, for one, am relieved Melina didn't show up & hopefully out of the picture for good. She never seemed all there, with glassy eyes & too laid back speech. She may have been on meds after a breakdown or be bi-polar. A woman who's infertile, per se, can be tremendously helpful as the kids " auntie "but it must be someone normal.

Re Dimitri, man, he's over-the-top gorgeous! I can't picture him with such a plain woman who's also a bit bossy. Remember her giving the reason she didn't like a prior potential sister-wife " She wasn't interested in bonding with me,so..." I wonder if there's some bisexuality there.

Dimitri and wife don't seem to be doing this for religious reasons either. The family with 2 wives mentioned church several times so I wonder if they are AUB like the Browns and that other family that got their show canceled.
If you aren't doing it for religious reasons it seems more odd to me. More sexual in a way.

Completely agree.
I happened to catch about half the episode on Sunday night, when they were talking with the kids. It seemed like the parents were instilling fear in the kids. Making it much worse than necessary especially with the littlest kids. Do they really need to hear or know all this? Teaching kids to lie and keep secrets just isn't my style. And the one wife I don't think she said a word.
Not a show that I would make it a point to watch.
I do watch Sister Wives sometimes. They seem normal compared to these families.

Re Sister Wives more normal, agreed! Don't forget that except for Janelle, the Brown women were all reared in polygamist household. Whereas I don't get the same sincerity in this newer series...the men seem more polyamorous.

Dimitri and wife don't seem to be doing this for religious reasons either. The family with 2 wives mentioned church several times so I wonder if they are AUB like the Browns and that other family that got their show canceled.
If you aren't doing it for religious reasons it seems more odd to me. More sexual in a way.
When I was searching for info on the Snowdens, I read that they're not Mormons. So there you are! Now I'm curious about how far Dimitri went with that younger woman, Joselyn.

Last edited:
This was filmed a year in advance since then the Brown fought and won changed the laws in Utah.

the browns lost their case on appeal at the 10th circuit court level a couple of years ago and the u.s. supreme court has refused to hear it, and Utah instituted a new law in 2017 that increases some penalties. polygamy is still very much illegal in Utah.

the browns lost their case on appeal at the 10th circuit court level a couple of years ago and the u.s. supreme court has refused to hear it, and Utah instituted a new law in 2017 that increases some penalties. polygamy is still very much illegal in Utah.
A U.S. District Court judge has sided with the polgyamous Brown family, ruling that key parts of Utah’s polygamy laws are unconstitutional.

Judge Clark Waddoups’ 91-page ruling, issued Friday, sets a new legal precedent in Utah, effectively decriminalizing polygamy. It is the latest development in a lawsuit filed by the family of Kody Brown, who became famous while starring in cable TV channel TLC’s reality series “Sister Wives.” The show entered a fourth season at the end of the summer.

Waddoups’ ruling attacks the parts of Utah’s law making cohabitation illegal. In the introduction, Waddoups says the phrase “or cohabits with another person” is a violation of both the First and 14th amendments. Waddoups later writes that while there is no “fundamental right” to practice polygamy, the issue really comes down to “religious cohabitation.” In the 1800s — when the mainstream LDS Churh still practiced polygamy — “religious cohabitation” in Utah could have actually resulted in “multiple purportedly legal marriages.” Today, however, simply living together doesn’t amount to being “married,” Waddoups writes.

“The court finds the cohabitation prong of the Statute unconstitutional on numerous grounds and strikes it,” Waddoups later writes.

Utah’s bigamy statute technically survived the ruling. However, Waddoups took a narrow interpretation of the words “marry” and “purports to marry,” meaning that bigamy remains illegal only in the literal sense — when someone fraudulently acquires multiple marriage licences.

The Browns could not immediately be reached Friday night, but issued a statement through their lawyer calling the decision humbling and historic.

“While we know that many people do not approve of plural families, it is our family and based on our beliefs,” Brown wrote. “Just as we respect the personal and religious choices of other families, we hope that in time all of our neighbors and fellow citizens will come to respect our own choices as part of this wonderful country of different faiths and beliefs.”

Jonathan Turley, the attorney representing the Brown family, called the opinion “magnificent” Friday in a phone conversation. In a blog post, he added that it strikes down “the criminalization of polygamy” and will allow “plural families to step out for the first time in their communities and live their lives openly among their neighbors.”

“Regardless of how you feel about the legal issues in the case,” Turley told the Tribune on Friday, “this is a decision that was rendered after considerable amount of reflecting and consideration by the court.”

Turley explained that the ruling means everyone is entitled to freedom of religion as well as due process. He also expects the ruling to stand up over time, and potential appeals, which the Utah Attorney General’s Office has indicated in the past it might pursu

A U.S. District Court judge has sided with the polgyamous Brown family, ruling that key parts of Utah’s polygamy laws are unconstitutional.

Judge Clark Waddoups’ 91-page ruling, issued Friday, sets a new legal precedent in Utah, effectively decriminalizing polygamy. It is the latest development in a lawsuit filed by the family of Kody Brown, who became famous while starring in cable TV channel TLC’s reality series “Sister Wives.” The show entered a fourth season at the end of the summer.

Waddoups’ ruling attacks the parts of Utah’s law making cohabitation illegal. In the introduction, Waddoups says the phrase “or cohabits with another person” is a violation of both the First and 14th amendments. Waddoups later writes that while there is no “fundamental right” to practice polygamy, the issue really comes down to “religious cohabitation.” In the 1800s — when the mainstream LDS Churh still practiced polygamy — “religious cohabitation” in Utah could have actually resulted in “multiple purportedly legal marriages.” Today, however, simply living together doesn’t amount to being “married,” Waddoups writes.

“The court finds the cohabitation prong of the Statute unconstitutional on numerous grounds and strikes it,” Waddoups later writes.

Utah’s bigamy statute technically survived the ruling. However, Waddoups took a narrow interpretation of the words “marry” and “purports to marry,” meaning that bigamy remains illegal only in the literal sense — when someone fraudulently acquires multiple marriage licences.

The Browns could not immediately be reached Friday night, but issued a statement through their lawyer calling the decision humbling and historic.

“While we know that many people do not approve of plural families, it is our family and based on our beliefs,” Brown wrote. “Just as we respect the personal and religious choices of other families, we hope that in time all of our neighbors and fellow citizens will come to respect our own choices as part of this wonderful country of different faiths and beliefs.”

Jonathan Turley, the attorney representing the Brown family, called the opinion “magnificent” Friday in a phone conversation. In a blog post, he added that it strikes down “the criminalization of polygamy” and will allow “plural families to step out for the first time in their communities and live their lives openly among their neighbors.”

“Regardless of how you feel about the legal issues in the case,” Turley told the Tribune on Friday, “this is a decision that was rendered after considerable amount of reflecting and consideration by the court.”

Turley explained that the ruling means everyone is entitled to freedom of religion as well as due process. He also expects the ruling to stand up over time, and potential appeals, which the Utah Attorney General’s Office has indicated in the past it might pursu

didn't this happen in 2013 but was overturned by the higher court?

according to a 2017 article in the salt lake city tribune-

"In December 2013, federal Judge Clark Waddoups sided with the Browns and struck down the portion of Utah's bigamy statute focused on polygamy. (A portion dealing with having active, multiple marriage licenses remained.)

Last April, an appeals court in Denver overturned that ruling. In finding the Browns lacked standing to file a legal challenge, a three-judge panel considered a policy by the Utah County attorney's office limiting polygamy prosecutions to cases which also include offenses like sexual abuse, fraud and underage marriage. Other county prosecutors and the Utah attorney general's office have similar policies."

here's info. on the tougher laws from a cbs news article when Utah's governor signed the new law w/stricter penalties in march 2017-

"The Browns won in federal court, but the case was thrown out by appeals court judges who found the Browns couldn’t sue because they were never prosecuted. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to take the Brown’s case".

didn't this happen in 2013 but was overturned by the higher court?

according to a 2017 article in the salt lake city tribune-

"In December 2013, federal Judge Clark Waddoups sided with the Browns and struck down the portion of Utah's bigamy statute focused on polygamy. (A portion dealing with having active, multiple marriage licenses remained.)

Last April, an appeals court in Denver overturned that ruling. In finding the Browns lacked standing to file a legal challenge, a three-judge panel considered a policy by the Utah County attorney's office limiting polygamy prosecutions to cases which also include offenses like sexual abuse, fraud and underage marriage. Other county prosecutors and the Utah attorney general's office have similar policies."

here's info. on the tougher laws from a cbs news article when Utah's governor signed the new law w/stricter penalties in march 2017-

"The Browns won in federal court, but the case was thrown out by appeals court judges who found the Browns couldn’t sue because they were never prosecuted. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to take the Brown’s case".
that just happened was aware of that. interesting thanks for sharing that

that just happened was aware of that. interesting thanks for sharing that

yeah, I notice that despite it happening prior to the filming of this season's episodes they didn't mention it but I have to wonder if that's the reason some of the wives are so anti returning to Utah.

yeah, I notice that despite it happening prior to the filming of this season's episodes they didn't mention it but I have to wonder if that's the reason some of the wives are so anti returning to Utah.
that be a good reason to me.

When I was searching for info on the Snowdens, I read that they're not Mormons. So there you are! Now I'm curious about how far Dimitri went with that younger woman. Roselin was her name?

Browns and couple other families that have been on tv are AUB - Apostolic United Brethren.

this is my fav family. I'm not sure why they are continue with her when they want more kids and she can't have more kids.
That is a valid point but I think they realize another female hand can be tremendously helpful with the kids already there, and making the husband "happy" when they're tired.

Browns and couple other families that have been on tv are AUB - Apostolic United Brethren.

I found where I got my info from about the Snowdens. They appear totally out of the Mormon Church or their fundamentalist branch. Being his 1st wife, Ashley would've been his legal wife, not just his partner.

" Dimitri Snowden and his partner Ashley Kapri are an African-American couple based in Atlanta, GA where they live with their two children, plus one on the way. In a sneak peek from the upcoming season premiere of Seeking Sister Wife obtained by Hollywood Life, Dimitri opens up about the reason why he has chosen to have a plural family even though his family doesn't subscribe to the Mormon faith."

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/seeking-sister-wife-dimitri-ashley-snowden-151340

I found where I got my info from about the Snowdens. They appear totally out of the Mormon Church or their fundamentalist branch. Being his 1st wife, Ashley would've been his legal wife, not just his partner.

" Dimitri Snowden and his partner Ashley Kapri are an African-American couple based in Atlanta, GA where they live with their two children, plus one on the way. In a sneak peek from the upcoming season premiere of Seeking Sister Wife obtained by Hollywood Life, Dimitri opens up about the reason why he has chosen to have a plural family even though his family doesn't subscribe to the Mormon faith."

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/seeking-sister-wife-dimitri-ashley-snowden-151340

Not subscribing to the Mormon faith would be a plus for his polygamous family, since the church hasn't allowed polygamy in over 100 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter