Security check & metal detectors

I arrive early to parks most of the time, and bag check has rarely been annoying. I’m a very impatient person, FWIW, and like others have said, the wait to get MBs scanned is often more bothersome.

I also unzip every part of my backpack before bag check

If you have any replaced joints or plates on bones, you will need to be wanded. Even if you show them your scars on your knees.

I've also noticed that at the International Gateway at Epcot, everyone goes through the scanner.

Not all metal detectors pick up titanium implants in the body. Some of the ones at Disney do, and some of them don't. It just depends on the type of metal detector it is. But, if you go through the bagless line, you will definitely be going through a metal detector.

I arrive early to parks most of the time, and bag check has rarely been annoying. I’m a very impatient person, FWIW, and like others have said, the wait to get MBs scanned is often more bothersome.

I also unzip every part of my backpack before bag check

We also had every zipper undone. We must have lucked out all last week since we never waited more than 5-10 minutes and a few times we didn’t have any lines at all for security all the lines were the entrance gate and in the park.

Not all metal detectors pick up titanium implants in the body. Some of the ones at Disney do, and some of them don't. It just depends on the type of metal detector it is. But, if you go through the bagless line, you will definitely be going through a metal detector.

The animal kingdom and Hollywood studios parks never had me go through the metal detector. We asked the guy at AK as we walked past and he said it wasn’t necessary. I guess maybe it’s because the four of us walked in through the bag line even though only one of us had a backpack? At Hollywood Studios I didn’t even see the metal detectors until after the bag line guy waved me through since I didn’t have a bag and no one told me to go to the bagless line.

Last edited:
Honestly, I can't imagine having to carry even that small of a bag all day. Really, what do you need? Your ticket, ID, Phone and a way to pay for things. You can get free filtered water at all counter service locations, I just can't see the advantage of lugging stuff around all day.

I drink at least 3 liters of water on a day when in the parks so stopping for a glass of water at a quick service location or a water fountain would be a complete time suck. I use insulated 20oz bike bottles and refill as needed. In the summer months I usually only carry my phone and small/bi-fold wallet. But, in the summer I don't wear cotton shorts, cargo shorts, jean shorts, etc. I usually wear very cool, lightweight (running type) shorts that almost always don't have pockets.

In the cooler months I'll frequently dress in layers so I'll often have a long sleeve t-shirt or sweatshirt I'll have packed in their too.

Regardless of when we tour I'll also have some fresh fruit and snacks packed. The in-park prices on things like bananas, grapes, apples, berries and such is insanely high so I usually opt to bring my own.

In addition to phone, wallet, water bottle and snacks I almost always have my GoPro with us for videos and pics.

"Lugging it around" is pretty vague and I don't even like having keys in my pockets....a light backpack makes things so much simpler for me.

Sure, it's JUST 5 min but why spend 5 min there when the no bag line takes us maybe 30 seconds

Because the 5 minutes spent could mean hours of ease while touring the parks all day. Could mean cost savings if you're bringing snacks. Could mean less (or no) time in quick service lines asking for ice water. Could mean not having a t-shirt tied around your waist for 6 hours. Etc

Carrying a bag offers options and flexibility. It's not better by any means but the cost in terms of time is practically nill for the benefits it can provide.

Last edited:

I would not worry about it and anyways those metal detectors are not very good (at least the ones I went thru). I carry 3 cards from the VA identifying where various pieces of metal are inside my body. I have never triggered anything.
wish I was as lucky have metal in my hand and set off detectors all the time

Minimalistic means different things to different people.

1. It can be as simple as weeding out the truly unneeded but you thought you might need stuff from your bag
  2. It can be reducing the size of your bag
  3. It can be going completely bagless

For us our version is a combination of 1 and 2

This is our bag. My husband wore one (shown) and I wore one
upload_2019-4-24_18-18-23.png

The bag is quite small but fit what we needed. Believe it or not it fit a poncho (for my tall husband) in one and a rain jacket (for me) in mine. Plus sunscreen, cards, cash and room for our cell phones. We had a foldable water bottle that clips onto the bag. The bag is quite small but could fit what we needed. We bought it because it was water resistent so no concerns regarding getting wet from water rides or rain.

To look through the bag takes something like 15-30 seconds. It would take longer for us to take what is in our pockets out on the tray, at least for us, than it would be to unsnap the bag and leave it open for the attendant to look in and feel. As far as time spent in the bag line valid point but for some having things in pockets all day long vs a bag isn't not desirable.

I've carried a small purse, a small backpack, a larger backpack (in winter), and have gone bagless. It all depends on the trip, how I'm feeling, the forecast, who I'm with, etc... and there is no "better" answer, it's subjective. I will say, however, that until my last trip I too had never encountered a wait longer than around 10 min for security but then I met the slowest group of people ever outside of EPCOT one day, it was horrible and crowded, and we waited at least 20 min just to get through security, let alone the tapstiles. Because of that experience I will do what I can to go bagless my next trip. I like the speed, and more than that I like not having to stand still amidst a crowd of sherpas.

We are staying at the yacht club so we will be using the IG a lot. So it looks like the metal detectors will be our fate.
The main reason for bagless is to not waste time standing in line behind the sherpas with all their worldly possessions in their strollers, acting like they’ve never done a security checkpoint before. Waiting even 5 minutes makes me irritable even at happiest place on earth. Having all the zippers unzipped and your bag opened doesn’t speed up the 5 people in front of you.
Btw: we also are tsa precheck

I would not worry about it and anyways those metal detectors are not very good (at least the ones I went thru). I carry 3 cards from the VA identifying where various pieces of metal are inside my body. I have never triggered anything.

I carry cards from my surgeon and have a photo ready of the various x-rayed metal in my back. I've been wanded at Disneyland every single time we go, so it saves the lengthy explanation. WDW is hit or miss on if I set off the detector. My last trip I set off the detectors at the monorail entrance to the Poly and at EPCOT both times, nowhere else.

I have a completely rebuilt left wrist, 2 new knees and a crapful of pins in my right shoulder. If I walk into Homeland I set off lights and bells, at Disney nothing.

My husband has both rebuilt wrists, titanium plate in his head, pins in both ankles and pins/screws in his shoulder from combat related injuries but doesn't set off the detectors. Go figure?

My husband has both rebuilt wrists, titanium plate in his head, pins in both ankles and pins/screws in his shoulder from combat related injuries but doesn't set off the detectors. Go figure?
That's why I really believe these things are set up at Disney just to make to you feel better not find anything. I have never set off a Disney one but the other day I had to go the federal courthouse and you would think it was Christmas with all the lights and alarms I set off (at most of the federal places I enter they at least know me and the metal thing).

FWIW, I carry a 100 ounce Camelbak when I'm at WDW. My experiences trying to get cups of water from QS restaurants is that its either a long wait to ask for a cup or its extremly crowded and you can't get near the counter without waiting.

I carry a small backpack that I put my Camelbak bladder in. Just some moleskin, ibuprofen, lens wipes and my lunch. I've given a lot of thought to using a new Camelbak that I have with small pockets on the outside if we go back again. We really need to put all of our lunch in a locker as well.

What I do is to put everything in plastic zip loc bags and unzip my backpack before reaching the CM checking them.

As for "Male Metal Detector February" on our February 2018 trip, I was sent throught the metal detector each time I went to Epcot. No one else had to go through and I didn't have to at any other park.

We always have a disney back pack w/ a big opening and then the small pouch on the front. We make sure everything is open and ready for them. We usually just have meds, pin lanyards, gift cards/id/money. It is generally very fast to get thru the bag line. Only thing I find can be unsettling for a few minutes is sometimes we will lose track of my teen son (the official back pack carrier). We find each other eventually. Some parks that isn't an issue.

We always have a disney back pack w/ a big opening and then the small pouch on the front. We make sure everything is open and ready for them. We usually just have meds, pin lanyards, gift cards/id/money. It is generally very fast to get thru the bag line. Only thing I find can be unsettling for a few minutes is sometimes we will lose track of my teen son (the official back pack carrier). We find each other eventually. Some parks that isn't an issue.

It's funny sometimes how easy it is to lose track of people at the parks, even when they were literally right in front of you in line.

"Male Metal Detector February"

Every month is male metal detector month. :smooth: I always stand around while my husband and adult sons are sent through. I think, in all my visits, I may have went through once, and it was a day when they were putting every single person through. We are never there at the busiest times. Semi-local passholders who go during value weeks. I even asked once if I should go through the detector, since I was the only one standing there, and they declined. I suppose I look harmless.

Every month is male metal detector month. :smooth: I always stand around while my husband and adult sons are sent through. I think, in all my visits, I may have went through once, and it was a day when they were putting every single person through. We are never there at the busiest times. Semi-local passholders who go during value weeks. I even asked once if I should go through the detector, since I was the only one standing there, and they declined. I suppose I look harmless.
I must look dangerous, in a 55 yo grandma kinda way. I'm picked at least half the time they are doing random picking.
DH is for sure not picked more than me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter