Security check & metal detectors

marmar

DIS Veteran
it’s been several years since we did WDW. I heard there are metal detectors along with the bag check. Do you have to empty your pockets.? We are trying to go bagless to shorten security time.but if I have everything stashed in pockets (cell phone, power pack, wallet, camera) it may not be the results I intended.

I had to empty my pockets. I even at the time smoked, and kept my cigarettes in there. The little aluminum pull tap set it off and I had to take those out too

During my last trip, I had to empty my pockets, but was able to keep my belt and watch on.

There is a separate line for guests without bags that helped expedite the process.

We got home last night from 4 days in the parks, with park hopping.
I do not carry a bag.
In all our times entering (not counting IG, which is different in that everyone always goes through the metal detectors) we only had to go through them 1 time, at AK. And it took 1 second to remove the items from my pocket, drop them in the bin and walk through. I just remove the stuff while walking so I really don't have to stop if there's no one in front of me, just drop in the bin and keep stride.
The no bag lines are still very easy and quick even with full pockets.

Oh, and now I think on it, we didn't go through security at MK. We rode the monorail from Epcot. There was really long lines to use the express monorail and the ferry so they had a special bus set up and we opted to take that, since there was no wait for it. At first I thought we'd have to go through security again but they dropped us along the path from CR, before the MK bus stops but after the pathway checkpoint. Made it really easy

We dont bring bags..so pretty fast. If i forget my watch is on..they acknowledge that and we go on. Thats usually what sets off something. I just never remember to task it off.

During our last trip, they asked us to remove anything metal and cell phones from pockets. I still set off the detectors with metal in both my back & hip but my mom, dad and husband did not with metal in different body parts of theirs. :crutches:

Honestly, ditch the bag if possible, it will save tons of time.

The couple of minutes it may cost me when entering a park is worth hours of comfort throughout the day to use a small bag. If it means I need to leave my resort 5-15 minutes earlier, it's worth it.

The bad part about planning for the metal detectors is you can't plan for them. Sometimes they ask you to go through, sometimes the don't and if the thought of having to take "everything" out of your pocket at security seems like a hassle I wouldnt feel thats an advantage for me throughout the day. If it's a quick trip in/out of the park I can see the benefits for me but I view it the same way I did my stroller when I used one. The couple of minutes of hassle on the bus is well worth the price of hours in the park to use a bigger, easier to maneuver, more comfortable stroller with more storage.

OP, it might be worth a quick search for something light and small.

I use one I got from REI a few years back that is small, light, cool, can fit into it's own zippered pouch and still has enough room for two water bottles.. I still go through the bag line (even when it's pouched) so they can check it but it takes them seconds to check it out and I'm on my way.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/lightweight-15l-backpack-|-842-|-r-887487995049.html?&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&nid=917427558&oid=44323257565&did=&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!217796588760!!!g!!&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl8WoKQ140ZxYW_wtvF0GFwNHBDD1mv7a84lgCeKtMCF3OPCsz1VW7gaAot0EALw_wcB

1729241_842_f

Last edited:
It literally takes just a few minutes in line to have your bag checked and if you are randomly selected to go through the metal detectors it takes even less time. Not a big deal.

Yep, it's so easy it's not even worth fretting over, IMO. The bag line is quick anyway. If you want to go bagless because you don't want to carry anything, awesome. But if you're only reason is to save 3-5 minutes in a bag line, personally I'd just bring the bag.

Slightly off topic here: but over the years I've seen several topics of people complaining about long lines at security and coming up with elaborate plans to get through security to save time. But in all of my years going, I can't say I ever felt I was really held up at the line. The line to actually scan your ticket is what actually takes me the longest, what with all the people that don't have the right passes or can't get there's to scan. I always try to go bagless, not necessarily for security efficiency but for my overall comfort in the parks. It's annoying having to carry around a bag and worry about stashing it on a ride. But if I do have one, the time to get into the park going through security is never long.

I would not worry about it and anyways those metal detectors are not very good (at least the ones I went thru). I carry 3 cards from the VA identifying where various pieces of metal are inside my body. I have never triggered anything.

I would not worry about it and anyways those metal detectors are not very good (at least the ones I went thru). I carry 3 cards from the VA identifying where various pieces of metal are inside my body. I have never triggered anything.
Heck, I went through 1 detector at Epcot last weekend twice on one day, same exact clothes on. Nothing in my pockets.
One time through, I set off the detector and had to be wanded.
Next time through I didn't set it off at all.
Figure that one out

it’s been several years since we did WDW. I heard there are metal detectors along with the bag check. Do you have to empty your pockets.? We are trying to go bagless to shorten security time.but if I have everything stashed in pockets (cell phone, power pack, wallet, camera) it may not be the results I intended.
You only have to remove metal objects. So yea, your cell, charger & camera. If you have a smart phone, do you need a camera?

We have been here since Saturday. Haven’t been to AK, but at all other parks, anyone without a bag has gone thru the metal detectors. And at MK, everyone goes thru them. Still, no bags has been much quicker, IMO.

Heck, I went through 1 detector at Epcot last weekend twice on one day, same exact clothes on. Nothing in my pockets.
One time through, I set off the detector and had to be wanded.
Next time through I didn't set it off at all.
Figure that one out
I have a completely rebuilt left wrist, 2 new knees and a crapful of pins in my right shoulder. If I walk into Homeland I set off lights and bells, at Disney nothing.

I wear a small crossbody bag just big enough for my wallet, phone and a handful of individually packaged Wet Ones. It takes just a few seconds to go through it at bag check. I prefer to not lay a wallet and phone in a tray in full view where someone could grab it. I would rather have things in a plain bag that isn’t as tempting and easier to keep track of. Most of my trips are solo, so I don’t have someone to assist with keeping an eye on belongings while going through security. If it’s a day where I am visiting with others, and they are going bag free, then I will as well because we can all help keep an eye on each other’s stuff.

I wear a Scapular Medal. (Catholic Dog Tags)
Every time I go through a metal detector I end up getting a pat down.

Slightly off topic here: but over the years I've seen several topics of people complaining about long lines at security and coming up with elaborate plans to get through security to save time. But in all of my years going, I can't say I ever felt I was really held up at the line. The line to actually scan your ticket is what actually takes me the longest, what with all the people that don't have the right passes or can't get there's to scan. I always try to go bagless, not necessarily for security efficiency but for my overall comfort in the parks. It's annoying having to carry around a bag and worry about stashing it on a ride. But if I do have one, the time to get into the park going through security is never long.

I have the same impression. And, no matter what ticket line I stand in that will be the one where someone has a problem!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter