Security check & metal detectors

The couple of minutes it may cost me when entering a park is worth hours of comfort throughout the day to use a small bag. If it means I need to leave my resort 5-15 minutes earlier, it's worth it.

The bad part about planning for the metal detectors is you can't plan for them. Sometimes they ask you to go through, sometimes the don't and if the thought of having to take "everything" out of your pocket at security seems like a hassle I wouldnt feel thats an advantage for me throughout the day. If it's a quick trip in/out of the park I can see the benefits for me but I view it the same way I did my stroller when I used one. The couple of minutes of hassle on the bus is well worth the price of hours in the park to use a bigger, easier to maneuver, more comfortable stroller with more storage.

OP, it might be worth a quick search for something light and small.

I use one I got from REI a few years back that is small, light, cool, can fit into it's own zippered pouch and still has enough room for two water bottles.. I still go through the bag line (even when it's pouched) so they can check it but it takes them seconds to check it out and I'm on my way.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/lightweight-15l-backpack-|-842-|-r-887487995049.html?&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&nid=917427558&oid=44323257565&did=&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!217796588760!!!g!!&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl8WoKQ140ZxYW_wtvF0GFwNHBDD1mv7a84lgCeKtMCF3OPCsz1VW7gaAot0EALw_wcB

1729241_842_f
I agree- I need a small backpack. I like putting my ears/hats in the bag on rides, don't have to worry about losing my id/credit cards/cash, I can hold my dslr camera, battery pack fro my phone, Advil, band aids, waterbottle, and there is room if I decide to buy something I can put in there too. When you have a blister walking all the way to first aid is killer!!

The couple of minutes it may cost me when entering a park is worth hours of comfort throughout the day to use a small bag. If it means I need to leave my resort 5-15 minutes earlier, it's worth it.

The bad part about planning for the metal detectors is you can't plan for them. Sometimes they ask you to go through, sometimes the don't and if the thought of having to take "everything" out of your pocket at security seems like a hassle I wouldnt feel thats an advantage for me throughout the day. If it's a quick trip in/out of the park I can see the benefits for me but I view it the same way I did my stroller when I used one. The couple of minutes of hassle on the bus is well worth the price of hours in the park to use a bigger, easier to maneuver, more comfortable stroller with more storage.

OP, it might be worth a quick search for something light and small.

I use one I got from REI a few years back that is small, light, cool, can fit into it's own zippered pouch and still has enough room for two water bottles.. I still go through the bag line (even when it's pouched) so they can check it but it takes them seconds to check it out and I'm on my way.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/lightweight-15l-backpack-|-842-|-r-887487995049.html?&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&nid=917427558&oid=44323257565&did=&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!217796588760!!!g!!&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl8WoKQ140ZxYW_wtvF0GFwNHBDD1mv7a84lgCeKtMCF3OPCsz1VW7gaAot0EALw_wcB

Honestly, I can't imagine having to carry even that small of a bag all day. Really, what do you need? Your ticket, ID, Phone and a way to pay for things. You can get free filtered water at all counter service locations, I just can't see the advantage of lugging stuff around all day.

Of course we live near Disneyland and go fairly frequently, so we have gotten used to being very minimalist in the parks, it makes things so much easier on rides, entering the parks, etc. to not have to deal with bags.

Epcot line were the worst this past trip. And you would be amazed at the people that don't "pre" get ready to go thru the bag check, and the amount of stuff people have.
This is true, without a bag you always go through the metal detectors, so I simply remove everything from my pockets as I am approaching and everything is basically my wallet, keys (when at DL, WDW I don't need them) and phone.

Honestly, I can't imagine having to carry even that small of a bag all day. Really, what do you need? Your ticket, ID, Phone and a way to pay for things. You can get free filtered water at all counter service locations, I just can't see the advantage of lugging stuff around all day.

I wear a small cross body bag to hold my wallet, car keys, eyeglasses, and phone and it works great. I honestly don't feel like carrying stuff in my pockets.

I wear a small cross body bag to hold my wallet, car keys, eyeglasses, and phone and it works great. I honestly don't feel like carrying stuff in my pockets.
I guess I have been victim to too many 30+ minute security lines when I have had a bag to even consider a bag anymore.

My hubby is a camera guy. He carries a full bag with lenses and chips and batteries etc. he is not the guy to be behind in a security line. Lol. Sometimes he just brings a small waterproof camera...all depends...but he still has the big bag. We never sit long even with his bag, Miles’s the guard gets really picky and wants to see him switch out lenses etc.

Last time we went, I brought a water proofed cloth drawstring bag with a front zipper. We were only going for 1 1/2 days after a non Disney cruise.it had enough room for small/medium souvenirs. I carried my phone, benedril, battery charger and cord and shoes... shoes?

I wore sketcher walker sneakers and carried a pair of Minnie Mouse slim line crocs (they look like ballet flats but feel like heaven...) because my feet hurt very easily and changing shoes can save the day. This means at some point in the day, my drawstring bag has a plastic bag with socks and slim sneakers in it. The other option would be to leave the parks and come back wearing my crocs. Carrying the extra shoes also means I can ride any wet rides with the crocs without worrying about soaking my sneakers. If I wore the crocs all day I’d have to switch to sneakers, so it’s a no win scenario.

I wish I could go bagless. Hubby refuses to carry my shoes...can’t say I blame him...his bag would have a wonderful aroma after a few hours...lol

Last edited:

I wear a small crossbody bag just big enough for my wallet, phone and a handful of individually packaged Wet Ones. It takes just a few seconds to go through it at bag check. I prefer to not lay a wallet and phone in a tray in full view where someone could grab it. I would rather have things in a plain bag that isn’t as tempting and easier to keep track of. Most of my trips are solo, so I don’t have someone to assist with keeping an eye on belongings while going through security. If it’s a day where I am visiting with others, and they are going bag free, then I will as well because we can all help keep an eye on each other’s stuff.
But you are never out of eyesight of your belongs when going through the detectors. You walk up, place them in a bin, as you walk through the guard moves the bin from the front to the back so by the time you walk through, your belongings are right next to you on the other side. They basically, follow you in the guards hand. DH and I pretty much always go in different lines if we even go in together. Most of the time only 1 of us is pulled in so no one is watching out stuff, specifically. But as I said, nor is it ever out of my sight. In this tight enclosed area there is no way someone would grab your stuff and you not see it and be able raise a ruckus and have them stopped.

It literally takes just a few minutes in line to have your bag checked and if you are randomly selected to go through the metal detectors it takes even less time. Not a big deal.
Have you seen some of the sherpa's going through security? And the security guards who think they have to search each corner for grain of sand sized weapons?
We travel with those who use bags and some parks, like MK, are great. Epcot main area is horrific. I've never not had a 5 min wait there, minimum. Sure, it's JUST 5 min but why spend 5 min there when the no bag line takes us maybe 30 seconds

Have you seen some of the sherpa's going through security? And the security guards who think they have to search each corner for grain of sand sized weapons?
We travel with those who use bags and some parks, like MK, are great. Epcot main area is horrific. I've never not had a 5 min wait there, minimum. Sure, it's JUST 5 min but why spend 5 min there when the no bag line takes us maybe 30 seconds

Yes I have been behind my fair share of Sherpa backpacks going through security:D I have annual passes so I go pretty often and I will grant you the waits can be longer than 5 minutes on average at some of the parks (especially from personal experience at MK) but I'm not going to carry all of my crap in my pockets to save 5-10 minutes. And I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes at EPCOT so I guess I've just been lucky.

I'm a woman so I like to always have emergency supplies on me just in case. Also an umbrella, my portable charger, chapstick, mini hairbrush (some rides wreak havoc on hair), bandaids and pain killers, etc. I carry my normal purse.

Hey, I resemble that remark. ;) We pack heavy because we bring our own food in. Since we're going to have the giant food bag in a stroller anyway, we also often have a mid-size canvas bag that holds ponchos, sunscreen, and such. I agree Epcot's bag check seems to be the worst of them. However, we have the routine down quite well. Unless we have one of those security guards who feels the need to completely and totally unpack and do a cavity search on every item in the bag (LOL) we zip right through. Really doesn't take long at all. We often find that people tend to herd toward the middle lines and leave the far edges unused, so we always go far left/right and get in quickly.

ETA: I will add that if we're going when we know we're not going to be eating a meal, such as going back to a park after dinner, then we usually go bagless too.

Last edited:
Yes I have been behind my fair share of Sherpa backpacks going through security:D I have annual passes so I go pretty often and I will grant you the waits can be longer than 5 minutes on average at some of the parks (especially from personal experience at MK) but I'm not going to carry all of my crap in my pockets to save 5-10 minutes. And I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes at EPCOT so I guess I've just been lucky.
Yeah, when switching to bagless I first learned, I didn't need most all the crap I'd been putting in a bag. Started out by bringing the bag but putting in a locker just to see if I ever really needed anything in the bag. Turns out I did not.
Been 3 years now but I have never needed more than my zipper case with my ID/AP/Credit Card/TIW card, also has a small zip top bag that holds 1 or 2 of my medications just in case, a soft pouch for sunglasses (Maui Jim's give you a soft and hard case which work great) and my phone. Even a spare charger is as small as my phone so that goes in with the phone in my pocket if we aren't going to be back in a reasonable time that day. Add in a lipstick and I'm done. For someone that carries a huge, 30 lb purse otherwise it's huge that this is really all I need at Disney.

When we were there in February, they were just making males to through the metal detectors. Women and Children just went around it.

But you are never out of eyesight of your belongs when going through the detectors. You walk up, place them in a bin, as you walk through the guard moves the bin from the front to the back so by the time you walk through, your belongings are right next to you on the other side. They basically, follow you in the guards hand. DH and I pretty much always go in different lines if we even go in together. Most of the time only 1 of us is pulled in so no one is watching out stuff, specifically. But as I said, nor is it ever out of my sight. In this tight enclosed area there is no way someone would grab your stuff and you not see it and be able raise a ruckus and have them stopped.

The only way to keep it in sight completely is to keep your head turned to the side instead of toward the guard waiving you through. Also, at least half the time, there are other people hanging out around the exit and putting their items back in their pockets right next to the bin with my items inside. I just personally feel it would be more difficult for them to conceal my bag than an individual wallet or phone. It’s purely a personal preference though.

The only way to keep it in sight completely is to keep your head turned to the side instead of toward the guard waiving you through. Also, at least half the time, there are other people hanging out around the exit and putting their items back in their pockets right next to the bin with my items inside. I just personally feel it would be more difficult for them to conceal my bag than an individual wallet or phone. It’s purely a personal preference though.
I can see peripherally. So no, turning my head to look isn't needed.
But yeah, personal preference for sure.
I was mostly commenting to those who had not gone through this way at all, that it is very possible to never take your eye completely off your belongings and it would be very difficult for a stranger to run off with your things. Your belongings are within a single step, if not an arms reach.

I can see peripherally. So no, turning my head to look isn't needed.
But yeah, personal preference for sure.
I was mostly commenting to those who had not gone through this way at all, that it is very possible to never take your eye completely off your belongings and it would be very difficult for a stranger to run off with your things. Your belongings are within a single step, if not an arms reach.

Agreed. I wonder how many times, if ever, it happens that someone gets their items stolen while walking through the metal detector.

We went the week before Easter and we used one backpack for the four of us and my H never waited longer than 5-10 minutes to go through security with the bag. We did stay at the GF so going through security there to go to the MK was really fast with it usually only a handful of people. I had metal bracelets on and just put my wallet and phone in the bucket and they told me to just raise my arms as I walked through so it would only set off the upper part of the detector and they would know it was from the bracelets. They did make me remove the celebration button though, so we just stopped wearing them after the first day.

I think we probably just went at less crowded times during the day since we didn’t rope drop at all, so it wasn’t an issue carrying a bag, plus we sought out the shortest line and noticed most people were just heading to the closest security check person. Just like the tapstyle entrance lines.

Of course we live near Disneyland and go fairly frequently, so we have gotten used to being very minimalist in the parks, it makes things so much easier on rides, entering the parks, etc. to not have to deal with bags.

Pre-smart phone I could have done this. Since I got an iPhone I've found that there are very few women's garments on the market with pockets big enough to hold it comfortably and securely. And then I like to have my external charger, which takes up about the same amount of space, and very quickly it becomes more comfortable and convenient to carry a small bag than to try to cram everything into pockets too small for the purpose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter