Saw this on the news today, all over peanuts....unbelievable

This is a comment from the linked article. It is a comment from the parent of the girl with the allergy saying they did not know these things were going on, and did not request them and now that they know are just as enraged as the other parents:

"I am posting on here to hopefully reach the parents that are willing to listen for just a minute to the parents of this little girl. I read a posting on here from a parent who would be willing to sit down with us and discuss their concerns with us. We WANT THIS!! Most of these things being brought out into the media we did not know was going on until the protest started. Believe it or not if these things are truly going on then we are just as enraged as these parents are. We do not want them going on nor have we asked for them or demand them. We are kindly asking to be given a chanceto explain the truth and work things out so that no child feels the way our child is feeling right now. If this is truly not against our family or 6 year old then give us a chance to say the truth and back it up with documentation PLEASE!!"

Here is the page with the comment: http://www.wftv.com/news/27152881/detail.html

There is also a comment from another parent of the school right above it, and it looks as though they are going to talk and try to work it all out.

So everyone can chill now

I somehow find this hard to believe. Why would the school have gone to such lengths that no other school has if not demanded by the family. Oh sure now that the community is up in arms and they see how unreasonable and ridiculous they are being, and the story is now being spread across the nation it is easy to say "oh we didn't mean it", but I would like to have been a fly on the wall a few meetings ago and see if it wasn't a different tune they were singing.

And here is my PSA for the day. Just because you are allergic to peanuts, does not mean you are allergic to peanut oil. Unless you are dining in a very high end restaurant that prepares its foods with cold pressed peanut oil, the process to make normal hot pressed peanut oil, like fast food restaurants use and the typical home turkey fryer would use, the protein that causes the reaction is removed. Therefore, nothing to react to.

I will step off my soap box now.

Now don't go disrupting their hysterics with facts!

You can spout the facts and numbers till the cows come home but the die hard peanut fanatics won't listen.

I'm with those who would homeschool if I had a child with a severe allergy like this one. DH has a life threatening fish allergy so the possibility of one of the kids developing a severe allergy and how we would handle that is something we discussed when I was pregnant and when the kids were little, and we agreed that neither of us would feel comfortable trusting in the good intentions of others who might not be as educated about allergies. All it takes is one person who doesn't see the "made in a facility that also processes peanuts" label, or one babysitter or grandparent packing a lunch who isn't accustomed to the restrictions... That's just too great a chance to take, and too great a burden to lay on others. (And I know... The default response to this is "But not all parents can afford to...", but personally I don't buy that logic; when your child's life is in the balance you find a way to do what needs to be done.)

Actually, Duke University has been doing a study for several years where they are working on serial desensitization, similar to allergy shots for seasonal allergies and animal dander, except with peanut exposure. They have had some success at least allowing these people to move from LTA to I have time to take my meds (benedryl/epi pen). As the parent of a child with a LTA to peanuts, that is great news.

But as I said in a prior post, I have educated my son well beginning at age 2 when he was exposed and I refuse to force him to live his life in a bubble.

And here is my PSA for the day. Just because you are allergic to peanuts, does not mean you are allergic to peanut oil. Unless you are dining in a very high end restaurant that prepares its foods with cold pressed peanut oil, the process to make normal hot pressed peanut oil, like fast food restaurants use and the typical home turkey fryer would use, the protein that causes the reaction is removed. Therefore, nothing to react to.

I will step off my soap box now.
That is not the same as a vaccine. What you are talking about has been around for years. My DH did it as a child for a course of several years to attempt to lessen his reaction. At the time is was an injection like an allergy shot. It didn't really make a difference for the shellfish, but did help with some other allergies, particularly nasal. A vaccine is to a disease not an allergen, and helps the body build antibodies to a disease. You are trying to heighten the body's response to a foreign substance, not lessen it. They are completely opposite processes.

I have a question.....

Most on here agree that if this were there child they would find a way to homeschool or another way to educate their child without imposing this rules on the entire school.

But.....

What if you replace the child in question with your neice/nephew, or a close friend whose child you care for just like family, would you still feel the same? What would you do in this situation? Would you stand behind your family/friend and support their decision and stand up for their child? The same child that you care for and love.

On a side note I have read a few different articles that states that the rinsing/washing is 2x's a day, once when they enter school and then after lunch. Most kids arrive to school prior to the start time so would essentially be washed/rinsed before the day even started. And as far as after lunch, it's not like the kids are brushing after they eat which is what is best, so a quick rinse is actually doing them a benefit by not have the food caked in their teeth rotting them away.

Ther are no vaccines for allergies!!!!!
There are not "simple steps" you can take to provide a completely safe school environmenty for this child. What they are doing does nothing to help her.

i think that person was probably referring to allergy shots. They don't do those for peanut allergies, but most of the seasonal/pollen ones they do. That's probably what they were talking about.

I have a question.....

Most on here agree that if this were there child they would find a way to homeschool or another way to educate their child without imposing this rules on the entire school.

But.....

What if you replace the child in question with your neice/nephew, or a close friend whose child you care for just like family, would you still feel the same? What would you do in this situation? Would you stand behind your family/friend and support their decision and stand up for their child? The same child that you care for and love.

If this child is was my niece or nephew, you better believe that I'd be having a long talk with my brother about putting thier child in danger! If my niece or nephew's allergy was really so bad that they would die with the slightest peanut contact, I would be furious with my brother and his wife if they took the child I loved and put them in harms way every day! We would also be rallying around as a family to make sure that they had the resources necessary to keep the child safe, as in homeschooled.

I would still eat peanut butter and have peanut products in my home, but I woudln't allow the child to come over. We would only go to thier house, and I would make sure there was a fully hazmat style scrub down of everyone before we left, and we would keep "safe" clothes at thier house so I could change my son in the car before we entered to be extra safe!

I have a question.....

But.....

On a side note I have read a few different articles that states that the rinsing/washing is 2x's a day, once when they enter school and then after lunch. Most kids arrive to school prior to the start time so would essentially be washed/rinsed before the day even started. And as far as after lunch, it's not like the kids are brushing after they eat which is what is best, so a quick rinse is actually doing them a benefit by not have the food caked in their teeth rotting them away.
absolutely not. I would never support putting anyone's child in harm's way, certianly not a family member. I would likely try to educate the parent in question about the dangers and convince him/her that iti s not worth it to send a child with that kind of severe allergy to school. iti s not a good situaiton for the child or their classmates.

Gonna say this AGIAN. The mouthwashing is NOT helpful in getting rid of allergen. It will just spead it around, especially with small children. If my allergy child were in that classroom, I would be doing everything I could to get the practice stopped, becuase all it doesi s put the child in MORE danger, not less.

Gonna say this AGIAN. The mouthwashing is NOT helpful in getting rid of allergen. It will just spead it around, especially with small children. If my allergy child were in that classroom, I would be doing everything I could to get the practice stopped, becuase all it doesi s put the child in MORE danger, not less.

I am not debating whether or not the mouthwash does anything to get rid of the allergen. I am not a Dr nor do I play one on TV. However that is what either the school or her physician (can't really tell from the articles) decided to put in place to help protect this little girl. And if you actually look at the time frame from my previous post I doubt it is the 30 minutes the parents who are also fighting for their kids right to PB&J and food at holiday party's is what they say it is.

No one knows why these parents made the decision to put their child in public school. But you better believe if it was my family and friends I would have supporte them 100% and backed their decision, because I feel that's what families do.

I guess I am just having a hard time understanding why this is such a big deal, because in our house we make accomdations for people in our lives everyday who have allergies/preferences for certain foods.

I somehow find this hard to believe. Why would the school have gone to such lengths that no other school has if not demanded by the family. Oh sure now that the community is up in arms and they see how unreasonable and ridiculous they are being, and the story is now being spread across the nation it is easy to say "oh we didn't mean it", but I would like to have been a fly on the wall a few meetings ago and see if it wasn't a different tune they were singing.

Sounds like some backpedaling going on by the parents...but if they truly did not know the full extent of what was going on, and the school was not responding to the other parents, then the protest worked if it will bring both partied to the table to work out what is reasonable and safe for this child.

I have a question.....

But.....

If if was my child I would homeschool and just like we live on one income now, I would figure out a way to make it work, I would work a second shift if I had to. With asthma and seasonal allergies certain times of the year we have higher expenses, although I am sure not higher than say a child suffering from cancer or something more extreme.

If it were my niece/nephew I would encourage my family to keep her home as well and see where I could help. I would not encourage thme to have her in harm's way. I would encourage homeschool and have them arrange social outings with smaller groups that could be contained and would be willing to comply.

What would happen if say grandma made the lunch and was not aware that these school rules were in place...when my mom was in the hospital it was an emergency I was not calling my MIL to tell her no peanut butter, sorry that wasnt at the front of my mind. I was grateful that she was there while I dealt with a family emergency, these things happen.

My kids' bus is the last bus to arrive, they barely have anytime to get to their classrooms let alone take the time to rinse, so no not all kids arrive early enough.

My kids' bus is the last bus to arrive, they barely have anytime to get to their classrooms let alone take the time to rinse, so no not all kids arrive early enough.

That's why I said most kids arrive to school early. If your sons bus arrives with enough time for him to get to his room before the bell rings, then he will be one of only a few who need to rinse, because most kids will have already arrrived and rinsed.

Honestly I would be more upset about my childs bus arriving so close to the start of school that they felt rushed to get to their class in time, then the fact that the school wanted them to rinse their mouth for the safety of a fellow classmate.

I am not debating whether or not the mouthwash does anything to get rid of the allergen. I am not a Dr nor do I play one on TV. However that is what either the school or her physician (can't really tell from the articles) decided to put in place to help protect this little girl. And if you actually look at the time frame from my previous post I doubt it is the 30 minutes the parents who are also fighting for their kids right to PB&J and food at holiday party's is what they say it is.

No one knows why these parents made the decision to put their child in public school. But you better believe if it was my family and friends I would have supporte them 100% and backed their decision, because I feel that's what families do.

I guess I am just having a hard time understanding why this is such a big deal, because in our house we make accomdations for people in our lives everyday who have allergies/preferences for certain foods.
I don't claim to be a doctor, but I have been advised by one on steps to take to keep my own child safe, and mouth rinsing only spreds allergen, it does not contain it.
The problem is that what they are asking parnets to do is both unreasonable and unnecessary. If the child is that allergic, what they are doing currently is NOT adequate to ensure she does not come into contact with peanut reside. To do that, no one in the school could consume peanut products in thier home so there would be no possibility of transfer. Thati s not a reasonable thing to ask anyone to do, and anything less means that the child in question is in fact NOT safe at school. This is the argument being made.

I don't see blindly supporting a decision I don't agree with just because a famliy member made it. Sorry, but my family doesn't work that way. If you think someone is making a mistake, especially one of this magnitude, you let them know it.

I said the I am not a Dr. and I don't play one on TV as a joke, it was not anything against you or your statments. Just a joke.

These parents aren't using your reasoning though. They aren't saying the mouthwash can possibly do worse. They seem more upset that their kids are losing their right to peanut butter.

Obviously the school can't provide a 100% free school but I would think anything to help rid of the allergen is worth giving a try. If it's true that mouthwashing might spread it I would hope this little girls physician will step in and change that policy. Because like I said it is unclear who implemented it the school or her physician.

Unless they plan on kissing each other I still don't know why they are rinsing their mouths, and mine would not be doing it.

There is no need for the kids to rinse their mouths. What are they trying to get? the minuscule residue that may be left that the child will spread to something if the touch their mouth and then the object? crazy.

I said the I am not a Dr. and I don't play one on TV as a joke, it was not anything against you or your statments. Just a joke.

These parents aren't using your reasoning though. They aren't saying the mouthwash can possibly do worse. They seem more upset that their kids are losing their right to peanut butter.

Obviously the school can't provide a 100% free school but I would think anything to help rid of the allergen is worth giving a try. If it's true that mouthwashing might spread it I would hope this little girls physician will step in and change that policy. Because like I said it is unclear who implemented it the school or her physician.
To the bolded part: That is just it. As the parent of a LTA child, you don't risk your child's life on something that is "worth giving it a try". If the child is truly so contact allergic that she goes into anaphalyxis there is no trying it to see if it will work. It is literally risking her life. That is like me asying "let me just try giving DD a little shellfish covered in sauce and see if that will work." You don't risk your child's life on a maybe, you what you THE PARENT and no one else is responsible for, you keep her safe. If that means homeschool, then so be it, but you cannot make a classroom 100% safe for a child with contact anaphalyxis no matter what precautions are taken, and 99% safe is not good enough. I personally think that the most likley explination is that this child's allergies are not as severe as everyone is being led to believe or she would not have made it this long without a reaction in school. From what I am reading these parents are not protesting not being able to send PB in lunches, but the amount of instructional time wasted on something that is useless. There is more to the story than just handwashing and mouth rinising, of that I am sure. I have read to many comments form parents that say things like the child brings the nurse's office to a halt multiple times a day to call home becasue the office must be completely emptied to use the phone. So no, it is not about a PB sandwich, but about where one child's rights stop and another's start.

I have read to many comments form parents that say things like the child brings the nurse's office to a halt multiple times a day to call home becasue the office must be completely emptied to use the phone. So no, it is not about a PB sandwich, but about where one child's rights stop and another's start.

What? Why? I hadn't heard this one! But why in the world is the office emptied? and why is the child calling home several times a day? Why is that allowed?
Oh this family and story just gets "better" everything I hear.

Now no one is saying for the child to try a small peanut covered in jelly to see what happens. This school is trying to take preventative measures to help protect the child. I mean when I say I think anything that WOULD HELP RID the allergen is worth giving a try.

On page one I asked if the parents have proof that the teachers are actually teaching less? We don't have the fact on this so for me, it's hard to believe the parents when they claim the children are missing 30 minutes of school a day, in the same article where parents are complaining about holiday parties and PB&J sammies.

As far as your one Dr claiming that mouthwashing spread allergens there are others who may feel differently. I also said the article is unclear on who actually put these policies into place the school or the little girls physician. I am sure the girls Dr is aware of this and if they thought it wasn't medically necessary they would step in. Who know maybe they will but as of right now they are keeping everything the same.

As far as the parents we don't know all the fact there either. Why they are not homeschooling and why they are choosing to put their child in such danger. So one can only speculate.

If this was a child in my community, I would have no problem complying iwith the rules. I get my kids to school early enough so they would be able to wash and rinse prior to school starting. And I actually like the rinsing after eating because since they are not brushing their teeth they are hopefully getting any stuck food out as to not cause nasty cavities. I would even be one of the parents who doesn't have their kids eat peanut butter before school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter