Saw this on the news today, all over peanuts....unbelievable

I guess my district is doing something that's not required by law. There are a variety of disabilities that the district is not equipped to handle so the disctrict pays tuition to send these kids to other districts and pays for their bussing. They're working on it because the current solution does cost a lot of money but they're making sure they do it right for the benefit of the kids in question as well as everybody else around them.

I can't see how transportation isn't the responsibility of the district. Equivalent would dictate that if transportation is required for any child over a specified distance than kids who have to be sent to another district would require the same thing.

In the situation I was describing before where two kids both have disabilities but one has to be sent elsewhere as an accomodation because it's not safe for both to be together, it seems like a case of discrimination against the child who's being sent elsewhere for the school to not provide an equal environment for the child being sent elsewhere. Why is the one child's family required to provide transportation while the other doesn't? That's saying one disability is more worthy than another which is a very dangerous and slippery slope.

I've never actually been in a situation where I've had to deal with this so I'm speaking hypothetically. IMO it does have to be an extreme situation in order to start going down this kind of road and I'm very blessed that we've never had to deal with anything this extreme.

Providing transportation to a child because the school is not equipped for their needs is one thing and that does happen here for the students with DS or severe autism, etc as different schools are designated with different special needs programs.

Stating that a school needs to move a child because one wants peanut butter while the other is allergic is a choice on the parents NOT on the school. If you feel your child cannot be in a peanut allergy room than you can make a request but the school district does NOT have to pay for transportation in that case.

I wonder how the kids feel about this? Well before their parents influenced them with their own opinions.

My DD sits at a peanut free table at lunch (she is not allergic), after halloween she was going to take a reese's PB cup but then said no because she would have to sit at a different table and would rather sit with her friends.

Our kids play with the kids down the street who are vegetarian, and their mother does not allow them certain things like HFCS, hydrogenated oils, food dyes. When my kids are planning their snack to take outside I let them know that certain foods their friends can't have. They always without hesitation take something they can share with their friends. And I also make sure when I shop I buy things everyone can share.

My MIL has celiacs and we just had my DD's bday party. My DD had no problem having my homemade icecream cake instead of a actual cake. She know her grandma can't have flour so it's no big deal.

I have never told my kids they HAD to do any of these things, they do them because it's really no big deal.

I would have no problem if this policy was implemented at my kids school, and neither would my kids.

You sound like you have some very caring kids. Mine are the same way and I am so happy they are. They made the choice and it is amazing. My kids can even read the food labels and know what good snacks are that they can share.

I even make sure that I know before we send anything into the school if any of the kids in the classes have food allergies. Same with their sports teams. No child should ever feel left out.

WEll, it is my child with the allergy, and i ghold the same opinion. I am the parent of a child with a LTA and I would never consider asking parents not to feed thier child shellfish. Children eat them all the time at DD's school and I am fine with that. Mucho f the local economy depends on the seafood industry and it is in almost every restaurant here. Iti served in school lunches weekly at DD's school. I cannot spend her entire life ensuring that no one ever eats shellfish around her. Tere is no reason any child in her school should not be able to eat shellfish at school. There is no need for a "shellfish free school". I feel iti s up to the parent to educate the child about thier allergy, and teach them how to manage it.

It is not about "not being able to feed a child PB", but about the unecessary counterporductive lengths they are gonig to that interfere with class time. As the parent of an allergy child I DON'T want her school shellfish free. I prefer that she learn how to safely deal with people around her eating things she is allergic to. The eniter world will never be shellfish free, and she needs to learn to live in it.

So apparently your child's allergy is not to the extreme that the child in questions is?? She canNOT be around peanutsso yes, there is a difference. If your child can be around shellfish (and how do you know that the parents are not also trying to teach her how to deal with her allergy?) and not die or almost die than why would such measures need to be taken??

As for teaching a child, she is in 1st grade and it is not always as easy for all kids. This child may be one of the later readers so reading a food label is not always an option. Teachers also don't always pay attention or do what they should be doing for a child with a medical need.

I have not read all of the responses yet. My son has a slight peanut allergy in that an epi-pen does the trick for him when he is in contact. If this poor little girl can die from contact, everyone should do whatever they can to make sure she does not come into contact with peanuts. I understand that it is her allergy, not theirs, but this is a little girl. It is not too much to ask that people be cautious to prevent a young girl from dying. The protest makes me sad. This poor girl did not choose to have this allergy, and it has already affected her life enough. She does not need more stress.

I am in Canada so again maybe that is the difference here. I can find all kinds of peanut free products. No name, store brand & brand name products. There is no special "peanut free section" Cookies, crackers, granola bars, you name it it's there.

Dare brand in Canada is the best, pretty much all of their products are peanut free. Kraft was a little slow getting on the peanut free bandwagon, but they are starting to have more and more products that are peanut free.

Your right even though the school is peanut free there is always still a risk. The little boy in my son's class wear his epi-pen in a fanny pack around his waist all day long.

We have peanut free snacks in the US as well. I think it is Chips Ahoy brand of cookies that are even peanut free. Just can't remember positively tonight as it has been too long of a day at the soccer field.

So apparently your child's allergy is not to the extreme that the child in questions is?? She canNOT be around peanutsso yes, there is a difference. If your child can be around shellfish (and how do you know that the parents are not also trying to teach her how to deal with her allergy?) and not die or almost die than why would such measures need to be taken??

As for teaching a child, she is in 1st grade and it is not always as easy for all kids. This child may be one of the later readers so reading a food label is not always an option. Teachers also don't always pay attention or do what they should be doing for a child with a medical need.
My 1st grader canannot read every word on a food label, but knows not to take anything from anoyone other than me. If she is taught that ,she doesn't need to read a label. This child doesn't seem to be as allergic as the article is claiming. It has come out that she goes to the grocery store, Chuck E Cheese, and WDW on a regular basis. How can she shop in the grocery store if she is so allergic she cannot share space with peanuts??There are certianly peanuts and peanut products there and a high probability that there will be residue in the air. It is really worth the risk to take her to Chuck E Cheese with a bunch of other kids and parents who have no idea she is allergic and they need ot be careful?? It just doesn't add up. That kind of allergy is one in a millinon. My personal opinion is that the school has gone waay overboard here in an attempt to avoid possible litigation if something were to happen at school. For a child with an airborne allergy, or and anaphalytic contact reaction, an allegry free room at school makes sense, but those types of allergies are very, very rare. The mouth rinsing is counterproductive in thaty situation and something I would be potetioning to stop if my child was the one with the allergy. I honestly feel that most of the time the school or parent hears the child has a "food allergy" and goes to the extreme "the kid will die is she touches ______" immediately when it is not necessary and detrimental to teaching the child to live with thier allergy. As more and more information comes out about this situation, I am more and more convinced that is the case here. The parents are sayinf they never asked for much of what the school is doing.

I agree, it affects this little girl more than it does us. The slightest inconvenience to us can mean life for this girl, so it only makes sense to do what we can to help out!:)
Not if what we are doing trying to "help out" is actually putting her at greater risk!

We have peanut free snacks in the US as well. I think it is Chips Ahoy brand of cookies that are even peanut free. Just can't remember positively tonight as it has been too long of a day at the soccer field.
SOME chips ahoy are safe, some are not. Some of the choc. chips thyey use are not peanut free. You have to read the label every time. DD had a peanut allergy child in her K4 class, and those were on the "sometimes ok" list for bringing in snacks. Tehre was very little on the "always ok" list that we could get locally. Most of it came from a health food store so it meant a special trip if you wanted to send a snack for the class. The teacher always reaqd every label before passing out anything brought in any policed lunches in that room. It was easy because there were only 8 in the class.

I'm not saying I agree with everything this article is saying, but washing hands before you go somewhere with an allergic person, not bringing nuts or shellfish when you know someone will be there who is allergic.
Those things are certianly nice gestures, but as a parent I cannot vcount on everyone being nice or even those with good intentions remembering 100% of the time. That is why I feel teaching a child that there is not any 100% safe place is vital to teaching them to live with thier allergy. I think the idea of an "allegy free school" can give one a false sense of security about it.

Perhaps, before every activity where food is handed out or where kids might share food, the teacher should recite the entirety of a list of names of affected kids and the items they may not take or eat (information gleaned from parents' letters).
Honestly I would be more upset about my childs bus arriving so close to the start of school that they felt rushed to get to their class in time, then the fact that the school wanted them to rinse their mouth for the safety of a fellow classmate.
Extra time should be allowed to complete necessary activities without rushing if buses arrive late. Before giving out tardy notices, staff should observe the kids to see if there are bottlenecks here and there, and fix that first.
princessmom29 said:
Most of it came from a health food store so it meant a special trip if you wanted to send a snack for the class.
Time to break the fad of sending snacks for the class because it is "your turn". It's enough of an outrage when the parent has to go to Staples on short notice to get a red folder and a blue folder at full price instead of just grabbing a coupl'a of nondescript folders from the home office.

I apologize in advance for not reading all the postings.

I find it difficult to understand how the school, other than the normal precautionary measures, would consent to take on the responsibility to assure the parents that the school is a safe haven for such an extreme allergy. Who will these parents blame god forbid something happens to the child while in school. You would think the school would be taking a very high risk. There are other measures that could be instituted to ensure the childs education. A full-time tutor, homeschooling, etc., all with the assistance of the school.

If an allergy is that extreme I wouldn't be sending my child to any public place until they are able to understand their allergy themselves.

Just my thoughts!

I am not sure the size of this school, but what about making a nut free classroom that is combined with kids at the school from all the grade levels and they could have parents voluntarily place their children in the class. So basically any child with a nut allergy in let's say grades 1-6 would be placed in the special nut-free classroom and then parents could sign something saying they wouldn't mind if their children were also placed in the class and wouldn't mind following the strict rules required. I am sure that most parents wouldn't care about their children being in a nut-free environment and then the ones who did wouldn't have to worry about following what they perceive as such strict rules. The children could eat in the classroom and wouldn't have to worry so much about exposure. It would be hard to teach such a diverse class but they used to do it many years ago with many grade levels in one classroom.

My 14 month old son is very allergic to dairy. It is not life threatening though but he does have to drink Almond or Coconut milk to get his calcium and other nutrients. So for him to be in a nut-free classroom would not be safe for the student who is allergic because he would be consuming nut milk at home. He obviously wouldn't have to bring it to school but the chance of him contaminating something would be high. I wouldn't want him in a nut-free environment. However, what those parents are doing is really sad. They have valid concerns but I feel they are going about it in the wrong way. I feel bad for that poor little girl. It is not her fault she has this condition. Too bad the parents who oppose the restrictions and the school could not have figured out a way to resolve this without humiliating that child.

i can see both sides of the story, but I think both sides are exaggerating. I maean, if the allergy is so severe she dies by touching a peanut, how did they discover that if she is still alive? :confused3
On the other hand, who is against kids washing hands and brushing teeth after lunch? Our classes don't allow snacks for birthdays and holidays, but that is because with 25+ kids in the class, that would be cupcakes a least once a week. And I agree that is a little much.
That being said, if my child had a DEADLY allergy, I wouldn't pass the buck onto the school system, and expect 500 other families to adjust their eating habits for my special little princess. Nor would I count on 500 other families to be mindful of my child's needs everytime they are in the grocery store picking out lunches to pack and recess snacks. It is absurd.
Its like the lawsuit filed by a few prisoners saying that the prisons were not allowing them to practice their religion. They claimed to be Jedi.
The ADA act is a wonderful thing when it is not being misused.

Stating that a school needs to move a child because one wants peanut butter while the other is allergic is a choice on the parents NOT on the school. If you feel your child cannot be in a peanut allergy room than you can make a request but the school district does NOT have to pay for transportation in that case.

Why the need to treat one child's accommodation as a need and another child's accommodation as a selfish want? Examples of why another child might need to eat peanut butter have been offered. Why is the NT peanut allergy kid more deserving than the ASD kid whose sensory issues make peanut butter one of the only things he can eat?

Why the need to treat one child's accommodation as a need and another child's accommodation as a selfish want? Examples of why another child might need to eat peanut butter have been offered. Why is the NT peanut allergy kid more deserving than the ASD kid whose sensory issues make peanut butter one of the only things he can eat?
Exactly the difficulty here. It is slippery slope when we start deciding whose disability is more "important", and where one child's rights end and another's begin. No one should suffer in order to accomodate the disability of another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter