Saw this on the news today, all over peanuts....unbelievable

We have friends that homeschool due to extreme allergies. They felt it was their responsibility to keep there children safe once they saw how hard it was for the schools to control everything. They adjusted their lifestyle so they could homeschool. It is amazing how we can adjust when life happens. Most homeschool families I know did not start out as one income families. They had to adjust their lifestyles. You do what you need to do in the best interest of your children.

I did not click on the video and I am not agreeing with how the parents are handling this situation. I just wanted to point out that many families do what they "can not afford" because they can not afford not to do it.

I agree with this.

sometimes you just have to do something and make do. there are jobs around the clock.

It comes down to doing what you have to do for your own child and not expecting everyone else to change and take care of your child.

I agree with this.

sometimes you just have to do something and make do. there are jobs around the clock.

It comes down to doing what you have to do for your own child and not expecting everyone else to change and take care of your child.

:thumbsup2

You do what you have to for your kids. I would not count on 1st graders to be able to keep my child safe.

:thumbsup2

You do what you have to for your kids. I would not count on 1st graders to be able to keep my child safe.

:thumbsup2 I Agree. My son has a Severe Allergy to fish, and shell fish. He has never eaten either... only touched it. and he Broke out in severe hives. :( We are teaching him to always ask us before he eats anything. he is Also Allergic to Bananas, he has to eat banana's though for him to break out. We are training him. he is 4. and Starts school in September.. As a mom I am Very worried. But that is why We are teaching him what to be aware of. We will also talk to his teacher, and have her fully aware.
Now My husbands Cousins are EXTREEMLY allergic to peanuts. (his side of the family has ALOT of allergies.) :confused3
But His Cousins were home schooled. it was the only way that their mother could monitor them... Allergies are SERIOUS!!
I will do what i need to, to keep my child safe. But I will also do what I can to keep your child safe! Even if that means that my child can't have peanut butter on his toast before he goes to school. I can't believe some parents are upset about their kids not being able to have peanut butter!!
I can understand being upset about the extreem handwashing, and over usage of antibactial gels. I would be upset about that too. Sounds like this school needs to be educated on this matter.

I feel for the child with the allergy, and I am fine with "no peanuts policy"..BUT if I had to have my child rinse her mouth and wash her hands several times throughout the day, I would be just as angry as some of these parents.Affecting learning and other kids to protect one, ( and these measures may not prevent or protect her anyway since peanut residue is minute and prevalent) is not the answer

As the mother of neurotypical children I thought "no peanut" policies were reasonable- right up until I met the ASD kid whose sensory issues were so severe that the only protein his mother could get into him was peanut butter.

Which disabled kid gets priority? It stops being an easy answer at some point and I think 30 minutes a day of other people washing their mouths is well across the line. What happens if a classmate's sibling has peanut butter for breakfast and touches their sleeve? Will the school want everyone to have peanut free homes next?

I can see both sides.

I would love to be able to do things that normal people do-go to hockey games, theatres, etc. I rarely ever go any more. I'm so allergic to smoke from people smoking after leaving the buildings when the game/show, etc is over that I have an asthma attack. At times I think it would be great to have a shirt that reads "If you can read this, you're smoking too close". In reality, they wouldn't be able to write the words large enough. A person could be 20 feet away and I'd still have an asthma attack, depending on the wind. It's not worth the risk, each exposure makes the next one worse.

I think until more people know someone with a severe allergy, they don't get it.

My mom still smokes. She has now finally realized how bad my asthma is and makes sure she is nowhere near me. The only way she got it, was when she choked on a piece of steak and almost died in a restaurant. It was like a light bulb went off in her head and she knew what it was like for me when I had asthma attacks.

I love peanut butter, that seems to be one of the most common allergies at schools. I have no idea what I would have eaten if I wasn't allowed to eat a peanut butter sandwich. I had one everyday. I don't like sandwich meat or processed cheese.

Not saying that we should ignore someone's health issue, but I feel strongly about making the world (or school) revolve around one child.

Her allergies are protected under the American's with Disabilities Act. She is entitled to a public education just as someone with a wheelchair, or any other protected disability is.

Just a few decades ago it wasn't commonplace for schools or other public buildings to be wheelchair accessible, BUT the entire country made changes to help the 'few' fit in with the 'many'. Now, businesses can be shut down if their doorways are not wide enough, or if they don't have ramps to make their buildings accessible.

Just because she is in the minority, it doesn't mean she doesn't matter. She has rights.

She has the right to reasonable accommodations. Making an entire school rinse their mouths 3x a day is not a reasonable accommodation in any way, shape or form!

I wish people would remember the reasonable part of this equation.

and no one has answered why in the world they are rinsing their mouths anyway.

:thumbsup2 I Agree. My son has a Severe Allergy to fish, and shell fish. He has never eaten either... only touched it. and he Broke out in severe hives. :( We are teaching him to always ask us before he eats anything. he is Also Allergic to Bananas, he has to eat banana's though for him to break out. We are training him. he is 4. and Starts school in September.. As a mom I am Very worried. But that is why We are teaching him what to be aware of. We will also talk to his teacher, and have her fully aware.
Now My husbands Cousins are EXTREEMLY allergic to peanuts. (his side of the family has ALOT of allergies.) :confused3
But His Cousins were home schooled. it was the only way that their mother could monitor them... Allergies are SERIOUS!!
I will do what i need to, to keep my child safe. But I will also do what I can to keep your child safe! Even if that means that my child can't have peanut butter on his toast before he goes to school. I can't believe some parents are upset about their kids not being able to have peanut butter!!
I can understand being upset about the extreem handwashing, and over usage of antibactial gels. I would be upset about that too. Sounds like this school needs to be educated on this matter.

I should not have to ban peanut butter in my home because my child happens to go to school with someone who has a severe peanut allergy. Last time I checked, I live in America.

If someone is that allergic....the bottom line is that they need to protect themselves and not rely on others to do so. That is a HUGE burden to put on other kids. The elementary school that my kids attended had over 600 students, 70 staff members and countless volunteers who come in each day. Every one of those people needs to ban peanut butter from their home? Really?

I would be removing my child from that school faster than you can say Jack Robinson.

I did post in the other threat on the CB. After reading the article and the comments I was a little lost on what the 'actual' facts were. A little girl with a rare (only 2% of the population has such a severe peanut allergy) allergy is being sent to school, accomodations are being made that can not keep her 100% safe yet if the comments are correct is finding a way to live her life outside easily...going to WDW, Chuck E Cheese etc. We all know that Chuck E Cheese can not make enough accomodations in the world to keep her safe. I got the impression this little girl is just not allergic to INGESTED peanut products but contact. That is huge in my book.

I just know as a parent, I wouldn't protest with the others at the school. Would I protest at the school board, probably. My grandd, due to her religion, does not celebrate holidays. Holiday parties have not been banned in her classroom to accomodate her, she goes to the library during those times. Not sure why the kids can't have a party in a different part of the bldg and little girl go to a safe zone if they do it for the religious factor.

I, also as a parent, would never send one of my children with a rare allergy to the school environment and expect every one to accomodate her to the point I/my child is intruding on the rights of others. Really honestly wouldn't. Gosh, her parents have to work. I am sure there are other working parents in the school too. Parents should be working different shifts if working is mandatory for them. Honestly, there is not a moment my kid would be sitting in a classroom. I wouldn't even be able to work worrying about what is going on in school.

Her reasonable accomodations are being met in other ways. She is entitled to a free public education, but an in home tutor is classified as free public education just not in the class room setting.

So, in the end, I disagree with a lot and agree with a lot but I am not sure I/we are getting factual information from the articles if the comments section is true.

Kelly

I got the impression this little girl is just not allergic to INGESTED peanut products but contact. That is huge in my book.

Kelly
I just wanted to point out that a fairly large portion ofthose with an injestion alelrgy also have a contact allergy. Iti s actually pretty common to have some degree of contact reaction. A contact reaction severe enough to be lifethreatening is rare. My DD and DH can manage contact reactions with benedryl, and whil we have wnever had to deal with an ingestion reaction, if my DH's experience as a child is any indication it would be BAD. He almost did not make it the first time it happened to him.

She has the right to reasonable accommodations. Making an entire school rinse their mouths 3x a day is not a reasonable accommodation in any way, shape or form!

I wish people would remember the reasonable part of this equation.

and no one has answered why in the world they are rinsing their mouths anyway.

Exactly. The accommodations have to be REASONABLE. And one of those "reasonable" qualifiers is that it doesn't adversely affect the other kids' education. To me, it's the ludicrous mouthwashing thing and the time that and the handwashing takes that make it all rather unreasonable.

These other students are missing the equivalent of one subject a day while they wash their mouths and hands.

I just wanted to point out that a fairly large portion ofthose with an injestion alelrgy also have a contact allergy. Iti s actually pretty common to have some degree of contact reaction. A contact reaction severe enough to be lifethreatening is rare. My DD and DH can manage contact reactions with benedryl, and whil we have wnever had to deal with an ingestion reaction, if my DH's experience as a child is any indication it would be BAD. He almost did not make it the first time it happened to him.

Thank You! I have children who have food allergies but none of them are severe. Could be in the right time and place, but for the most part we have never had a reaction this severe.

I think, ulitmately, I, as a parent, would be actually scared to death to send my child to this classroom. Honestly, not because I am not compassionate or don't think said child should have accomodations but because I would not be as educated as the mother/father of the child. I would worry endlessly about things.

Kelly

]I should not have to ban peanut butter in my home because my child happens to go to school with someone who has a severe peanut allergy. Last time I checked, I live in America.
[/B]
WHAT?? are you kidding me?? :confused3
No one said you had to have a peanut free home, just no peanut butter before school. Let your kids have a peanut buttery snack after School! and on weekends!
This is what I don't understand.... parents who think that feeding their kids, with NO Allergies their "favorite" food, is more important then a Child Who could DIE from that food!!! :confused3

I would deffinately chip in and do my part to keep that child safe. But like I said before, Extreem handwashing, and mouth washing is over the top.

]I should not have to ban peanut butter in my home because my child happens to go to school with someone who has a severe peanut allergy. Last time I checked, I live in America.
[/B]
No one said you had to have a peanut free home, just no peanut butter before school. Let your kids have a peanut buttery snack after School! and on weekends!
This is what I don't understand.... parents who think that feeding their kids, with NO Allergies their "favorite" food, is more important then a Child Who could DIE from that food!!! :confused3

I would deffinately chip in and do my part to keep that child safe. But like I said before, Extreem handwashing, and mouth washing is over the top.

Sorry but they have no right to tell me what my child can eat in my own home and before school is in my own home! I would not agree nor comply with this. If I wanted to give my child peanut butter before school they would have it.

My Ds 6 has so many food allergies its not funny we just pack his lunch everyday and he has a nut free and all the other allergy free table. I pack snacks for school and When we have parties I send in things he can have. We also do this in church youth group when he goes to friends and Families homes. That way I have control and don't have to worry !

See, and that's reasonable. Take responsibility for yourself and your allergic kid. That's what this little girl's parents should be doing, not expecting evry kid in the shcool to accomodate their daughter.

If the allergy is that severe, she should be homeschooled (paid for by the state). Or they should start a classroom for kids with food allergies through the special ed program. The way allergeis are so prevalent these days, I'm sure they would have enough kids in the district to fill a classroom in no time.

I should not have to ban peanut butter in my home because my child happens to go to school with someone who has a severe peanut allergy. Last time I checked, I live in America.

If someone is that allergic....the bottom line is that they need to protect themselves and not rely on others to do so. That is a HUGE burden to put on other kids. The elementary school that my kids attended had over 600 students, 70 staff members and countless volunteers who come in each day. Every one of those people needs to ban peanut butter from their home? Really?

I would be removing my child from that school faster than you can say Jack Robinson.

I wouldn't protest in front of the school, but I'd probably write a letter about the whole thing. It isn't right to make the other kids responsible for this girl's safety. Peanut allergies are a very serious thing, I know that. They are so serious that the parents should really consider if sending her to that school is in her best interests.

See, and that's reasonable. Take responsibility for yourself and your allergic kid. That's what this little girl's parents should be doing, not expecting evry kid in the shcool to accomodate their daughter.

If the allergy is that severe, she should be homeschooled (paid for by the state). Or they should start a classroom for kids with food allergies through the special ed program. The way allergeis are so prevalent these days, I'm sure they would have enough kids in the district to fill a classroom in no time.

I wouldn't protest in front of the school, but I'd probably write a letter about the whole thing. It isn't right to make the other kids responsible for this girl's safety. Peanut allergies are a very serious thing, I know that. They are so serious that the parents should really consider if sending her to that school is in her best interests.

ITA!! The whole thing is crazy to me. It's not even about loss of instructional time, it's about making the entire school accountable for this one kid. I agree with other posters, if my child were that allergic, no way she'd be in a regular classroom setting. The allergy classroom is a great idea or homeschooling.

Sometimes I think parents like to see how far they can push something to accomodate their child. Not saying all are like that, but I think some do. "If the school doesn't accomodate MY child then I am going to sue!" blah blah blah!
If the parents are that concerned, homeschool. Period.:confused3

]I should not have to ban peanut butter in my home because my child happens to go to school with someone who has a severe peanut allergy. Last time I checked, I live in America.[/B]

but you cannot do that and offer the level of protection this child apparently needs. If you are going to gurantee that you are not carrying peanut residue in to the classroom, thien your entire home would have to be peanut free. You cannot eat peanut butter after school and on weekends because it can still be transfered to tyhe classroom. That PBJ you ate on Sunday can get on your coat, in the van, ect and then you are transfering it to school. In order to fully protect a child that has a contact reaction severe enough to be deadly, evey home of every child attending the school would have to be totally peanut free. I don't think that is at all a reasonable expectation. The hand washing, mouth rinsing, ect are not adequate, and the rinsing is actually spreading allergen rather than containing it.

[/B]

Then that child better stay away from my ds because pretty much any time of day, he's gonna have some peanut butter smeared on his person and/or clothing.

Again....if the child is that allergic, they better just stay in their bubble. What happens when the kid is shopping with mom and encounters someone who ate peanut butter? How do you go anywhere? Peanut free doctor offices???

Why is that child's rights more important than my child's rights?

I really don't have a problem with schools having peanut free areas and asking for no peanut treats, but what this school is doing is undeniably over the top. It's too bad the child has to deal with this, but it is rather unfair to ask the entire school population to accomodate it.

Then that child better stay away from my ds because pretty much any time of day, he's gonna have some peanut butter smeared on his person and/or clothing.

Again....if the child is that allergic, they better just stay in their bubble. What happens when the kid is shopping with mom and encounters someone who ate peanut butter? How do you go anywhere? Peanut free doctor offices???

Why is that child's rights more important than my child's rights?

I really don't have a problem with schools having peanut free areas and asking for no peanut treats, but what this school is doing is undeniably over the top. It's too bad the child has to deal with this, but it is rather unfair to ask the entire school population to accomodate it.

Or what if she touches a grocery buggy and the person before had a peanut butter snack down?
Instead of the parents teaching the child that the world should revolve around her because of her allergy, they should be teaching her how to keep herself safe.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter