• Controversial Topics Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Runners UNITE! We've graduated C25K, so let's keep on going!

katerkat - I meant to say this earlier but I think I maybe owe you an appology for dragging you through 13K at a pace that made you, in the end, want to yack. Or maybe it was the powerade.

It wasn't you! You actually kept me at a good pace. I think it was just the humidity - I really wasn't used to it or expecting it to be that bad. When you come from the high desert, Florida can hit you hard!

Did you warn Kim that before the race, it won't just be one trip to the port-a-potties? ;) :rotfl: I expect a good trip report, you're going to have so much fun together!

Melissa, hello! Welcome to our little corner of WISH. Cogratulations on your first 10K. Have you done races of other distances before? Good luck with wrapping up the training for your 1/2 marathon. None of us here has done one of those yet. It sounds so far!

Kate, I bet you're right about the humidity being the biggest problem. I am used to a certain level of humidity, but it was DIS-gustig that night.

This is all I have said on the subject to Kim:

"I'll probably have tons of time to just stand around and make multiple visits to the port-a-potties.:rolleyes1"

It's just a nervous habit, multiple trips, and I was a disaster that night for some reason. I don't have a digestive problem, just nerves. I've got more experience now. I bet I actually won't go more than twice before the 5K.:laughing:

You're so funny. :laughing: Will you actually get up and eat/drink before the race? I can't ever drink or eat anything until after 9am. It's just my stomach. So one potty break before the race should suffice for me. :rolleyes1 Although I'm not sure how the humidity will effect me. I might want to take a few sips of water before the race. We'll see.

Kim, I will probably have a small something before the race. Not too much, though. It's different in the morning, for sure. It was tricky to figure out how to handle everything for a night race.

Oh, and the nice thing about 90% humidity is that you can just BREATHE your hydration. :rolleyes1

Oooohhhhh, I'm sooooo excited for y'all! :yay: :yay: :yay:

You are gonna have a great time! I wish I was getting to go now.

Mellisa - Welcome!!! :grouphug: I'm running my first 10K on Memorial Day. Good luck with that mini marathon. I can't even imagine running that far. Of course, six months ago, I couldn't have imagined running a 10K, so there is hope. :goodvibes

Thank you all so much for the welcome!!!:grouphug:

corinnak: The 10K was my first race of distance. I walk/run at the gym every morning but this was the first time putting my self through something like that. I enjoyed it. The power of finishing is overwhelming.

aldisneygrl: Good luck on your 10K...I'm sure you'll do awesome!!! I'm a bit scared about this mini. I signed up months ago and am now rethinking my decision haha....but I'm also very excited to be part of such a big event around here. I may not be able to walk that evening or for the next week really :-)laughing: ) but it should be worth it.

Hey guys. I'm back again.

My running buddy and I just ran on our lunch break. We did the 3.57 mile loop in 38.34! :scared1: It definitely felt fast, and if she wasn't with me, I probably wouldn't have pushed so hard. But I'm proud of us.

A bunch of the runners here are doing a handicap 5k tomorrow and I think we're gonna join in. Basically the slower people start first, then the faster ones, and we all will finish around the same time. It's a good way for us (my running buddy and I) to get more involved with the other runners here and to push ourselves a little more. :thumbsup2

As for the 3.57 distance....one of those "other" runners said the other day that they think it's closer to 4 miles, and maybe my Garmin didn't pick up well at certain parts on the trail. :confused3 Who knows, I'm just glad to be back out there. :banana: (oh and no pain today!! :woohoo: )

Wow Kim that is an awesome time!!!!!:cool1:

Good luck on the race tomorrow...sounds like fun! Can't wait to hear how you do!

copied from my journal

Well, I survived the handicap 5k. :goodvibes Gotta tell you a funny here...I called DH to tell him how I did, and his first question was - did you beat the people in wheelchairs? :confused3 And he was totally serious. I said, "No, honey, it's not that kind of handicap. It's like a golf handicap". :rotfl: (I am in no means making fun of handicapped people in wheelchairs. I am totally busting on my husband):rolleyes:

Anyway, my running buddy and I started out first and they staggered the other runners' (there were 12 of us) start times based on previous 5k times. I kept expecting the "others" to catch up to us and pass us, since we are the slowest in the group (some of the guys run sub-20 minute 5k's :eek: ). Anyway, it was a different trail than we usually run, so we didn't know where the finish line was exactly. But no one passed us!! :woohoo: My buddy finished in 30.46 and I finished in 30.49!!!! :banana: We definitely pushed it hard today and both of us are stiff now. :laughing: It'll be a night of a million stretches. But holy cow, people...can you imagine?? That is my fastest 5k ever. I certainly don't plan on doing that at the Minnie 5k because I don't want to be worn down the rest of that day or the long weekend. I want to be able to enjoy the time at Universal, since it's our first time at IoA. :thumbsup2

Since all of the managers are out this week....we're gonna run a long, slow run on Friday. :ssst: Then maybe instead of a long run this weekend, I'll do a speedy 2 or 3 miler.:confused3

:laughing: What a funny story about your husbands comment!!! :laughing:

30.49 is an awesome time!!! Congrats! I bet you felt so proud...sore muscles and all!!!!:woohoo:

I am getting so nervous about this upcoming Mini. I know I can do it but it's a really long distance. I'm sure I won't be making the time I'm wanting because my husband decided months ago to sign up with me and well.....he isn't very good at keeping to a training schedule:headache: . He keeps telling me that I don't have to stay with him but I feel bad if I just run off and leave him to go it alone.

:rotfl: Hey everyone and welcome Mellisa- wow i love the spelling of your name, it's going to fool me everytime i type it tho! To be honest you sound all ready and prepared for your mini and if your husband's said run it then go for it that way you can be at the end cheering for him too. I would hate someone to stay with me if i knew they were faster and he may feel the same.

Kim- your time for 5km was absolutely fantastic!!!! Your feet must've been on fire! Do you find it much better with a running buddy? I'm tempted to join a running club nearby when back from minnie, hate ppl seeing me all out of breath and nasty tho :scared1: guess i'll have to get over that by minnie!

Corinna- i 'visit' the toilets quite a few times before running too :rolleyes1 i'm really hoping not to need a stop during the run so will try not to drink much before hand. i like the idea of drinking as you breathe tho :rotfl:

I'm hoping the porta loos won't be too far from where Wishers will be or i might not see that much of everyone :laughing:

Allie- i would've loved to meet you too, so sorry you're not coming.

So far this week i've done a 10mile, 3.5 and 7 mile run with another short run to come on saturday. Apart from a knee niggle and humidity i'm hoping it'l be ok now as i can do distance. Will have a whole week of WDW fun before the run so my little leggies might be a bit sleepy!

Keep going graduates

Thanks Mellisa & Smileyk8! :hug: I'm feeling the backlash today, from running so fast yesterday. My left hip is a bit sore (not too bad though) and my feet are a little unhappy. But by tomorrow I should be fine. :thumbsup2

I definitely find running easier with a buddy. We used to try to "talk" when we ran to pass the time, but we've recently decided to just listen to our own ipods and still enjoy the time together. We can still say comments to each other if we want (we ask if we're ok, want to slow down/speed up..those kinds of things). The talking was definitely making our breathing more labored, which in turn slowed us down a bit. But I do enjoy my weekend runs by myself too, because I can mix it up however I want, you know?

Everyone here is doing so great!! :woohoo:

copied from my journal

DRB (dear running buddy) and I set out for a long/slow run today at lunch. I forgot my Garmin in my gym bag, so we have no idea how far we went (went on a different path), but we ran for 50 minutes and then walked about 10 minutes back to the building. It was SUPER HOT out there today! :scared: Not sure how I'm gonna handle the summer heat and running at lunch, but today it was 77 degrees and it was HARD! Maybe once I'm transitioned into summer/hot running I'll be ok. Or I may have to switch back to early morning runs again. :confused3

Kim, it was a few days ago, but yeah the heat does take a toll. You get used to it over a period of about 2 weeks, but it's brutal, even so.

I talked to Katerkat last night and even though she's been recently banned from the DIS, she wanted to let you all know that her lasik surgery went well and she's loving not having to deal with glasses or contacts or anything.

I ran 6.75 miles this morning with the doggie. I decided to save my strength and just WALKED up the worst of the hills. It was a good strategy, I thought and by the time I was finished, I really did have another several miles in me. But it was raining the WHOLE time, the dog and I were both soaked to the skin and it just started raining harder in the moment in which I needed to choose to turn or head back. I headed back. Also figuring it's best at this point not to push it. I'm not going for performance at these races - I just want to finish and get some medals. And not pass out from heat exhaustion. As I finished up mile 2, I thought about how much easier this was than my last run when it was 75 degrees out. I am in SO much trouble. I don't mind the humidity if it's 55 degrees, it's the heat along with it that bothers me.

Nice "Corinna" run, girl! :woohoo: And to still have some miles left in ya after that....:worship: (oh, and the rain too? :worship: :worship: )You'll do great, and I'm sure better than you're expecting in WDW. The humidity is there, yes, but so is DISNEY!! I mean, I haven't done t yet, but running in Disney has just got to pump you up! :cool1:

I'm gonna miss Kat a lot. :sad1: She got a bum deal, for sure. :mad: I'm glad to hear the lasik went well.

I'm gonna head out by myself at lunch tomorrow & see how it goes. It's supposed to be sunny and 80. :headache: DRB is off tomorrow. I still want to get in a short run over the weekend. We're predicted to have some rain, but still warm temps, so I hope to get a little wet! :rotfl:

Yes, most people call it a 10K, but around here, we call it Corinna. :goodvibes
And yeah, to some degree, running in Disney can pump you up - I just love a race, period, and the ToT at least was really fun. There will be a lot more PARK running in both of these, as well. Even so, at some point, somewhere after the Corinna portion of the run, it's just one foot in front of the other, getting through it.

I'll miss Kat, too. I sure loved going through C25K with the two of you. And I still hold out hope that someday, when the kids are older, we can have a faux-reunion at WDW. Very theoretical, of course.

Have fun on your solo lunch-time run. Remember your sunblock! Sounds like it's gonna be a warm one.

Speaking of getting a little wet in the rain, I didn't mention this before, but the dog and I came back just SOAKED from our run earlier. Seriously, my clothes could not have been wetter had I jumped in a pool wearing them. It was quite a lot of rain. My feet stayed relatively dry, though. Makes me glad I bought those gore-tek shoes for that Jingle Bell run. :thumbsup2 OH, and I wore my jacket and shorts, and while I love that jacket, I don't love it so much when it's so cold and wet. It's water resistant, but not waterproof, evidently.

:scared: Everyone's favorite smilie dude - today, that's not sweat, it's rain water.

Well, Last night around 8 the top of my right foot started to really hurt. Not sure what in the world it is. :headache: I tried to walk it out around the house, but it hurt much worse. Kind of felt like the bones on the top of my foot needed to be cracked. I don't know how else to describe it. I iced it and took some advil. This morning it feels better - I can walk better on it. But it's still tender (and putting my shoe on and having to wiggle my foot into it hurt bad). So I'm not gonna try to run back-to-back today and tomorrow. I'll head out tomorrow for a run, but today I'm just gonna lay low and hopefully it'll all be good. :thumbsup2

Anyone know if a chiropractor can crack a foot? :confused3 It's a very annoying/painful feeling...all at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter