How early do I need to buy Magic Bands

ScottyandJeannie

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW Sept. 16th-22nd. How early should we buy Magic Bands? Also, can we activate our Magic Bands with Disney World App while doing early check in? And last question, if we activate Magic Bands with early check in, will that activate our park tickets? Haha, I know lots of questions. Sorry. I love this board and I love all of you. Hands down best website for info on WDW. Thank you!!

We are going to WDW Sept. 16th-22nd. How early should we buy Magic Bands?
We buy them when we’re sure we want them, so they arrive in plenty of time before the trip!
Also, can we activate our Magic Bands with Disney World App while doing early check in?
If you order them through your resort reservation link in MDE, they’ll be linked to each person in MDE already. No activation needed. If you’re not staying at a Disney resort and buy from the Disney Store, you’ll link each one to the individual person in MDE using the number on the back of the band. Again, no activation needed, once they’re linked they’re ready to use.
And last question, if we activate Magic Bands with early check in, will that activate our park tickets?
Nope, not in the sense of using a day from your tickets. But if you mean being able to scan your MBs to enter a park, yes, as soon as each person has a ticket and a MB linked to them via MDE, they’ll work for entering a park. It doesn’t matter whether you do online checkin or not.
Haha, I know lots of questions. Sorry. I love this board and I love all of you. Hands down best website for info on WDW. Thank you!!
You’re welcome! :goodvibes

And to add, if you are going to buy them from the Disney website (pre arrival, not Disney Store), make sure you order all at once. You cannot go back and place another order if originally only one person in your party ordered one. If there are four people on the reservation, all have to order at the same time. Selections do change, so if you see one you really want, it's probably best to order it.

Also good to remember you can't transfer an activated Magic Bands. If you were going to buy on something like Ebay from a private party, even if the CLAIM the band was never used, you are stuck once you get it and what they sent you was actually used at some point.

If you have previously been to Disney, you can reuse your older Magic Bands. They serve 2 functions, one requires a battery while the other does not. Even if the battery has died, you can still it for the functions not related to the battery. Many older threads on that.

They do change the bands available online seasonally/with the different events they host. That being said the selection on there right now isn't very good. There is a little countdown timer with your deadline to order under the magic band section on the website that will tell you the exact deadline for your stay.

Also - if you don't see something you like online there are shops that have large selections at the parks. Disney's Pin Traders in Disney Springs will have basically everything but you can also scan into the parks with your phone and each park will have a location with a large selection. Just ask a CM to direct you. The resorts all have some in their gift shops as well, although a much more limited selection. You also won't get the discount they offer through the website if you go this route.

Do they still sell the older versions of magic bands at Disney springs or just the Magic band +. We want the older style for the kids, they stay on better.

Do they still sell the older versions of magic bands at Disney springs or just the Magic band +. We want the older style for the kids, they stay on better.
When I was there last October, the older version was hard to find. Not available at the parks. Tiny availability at some hotels (maybe 2 styles at some hotels, nothing at others). The best availability then was at the Swan and Dolphin gift shops. I did not go to Disney Springs.

Even if the battery has died, you can still it for the functions not related to the battery. Many older threads on that.
Yes, and just to add two points:

1. The functions that will work with a dead battery are anything you tap. The functions that won't work are anything that scans you from a distance.

2. MagicBand+ with a temporarily dead rechargeable battery functions the same way as MagicBand with a permanently dead battery. I think a lot of people assume that you HAVE TO charge MB+ in order for it to work.

Please can I ask who can or how do I tell if the battery is dead on the old bands? I have about 27 (?) listed on MDE and about 10 actual bands at home from between 2011 and 2017. I returned in 2022 and took an old one, which worked. What are the chances of any of them having a working battery in 2025? We have free memory maker so definitely want to be visible to Disney, rather than just for tapping for room, charges etc. I would rather not buy a Magic band+ if I can help it. TIA

I don't believe there is anyway at home to determine if the battery is dead. Battery life varies based on things like temperature/humidity, where it was stored and how often it has been used. As with any battery powered device, some batteries just last longer than others and there is no way to tell by looking at them.

Please can I ask who can or how do I tell if the battery is dead on the old bands? I have about 27 (?) listed on MDE and about 10 actual bands at home from between 2011 and 2017. I returned in 2022 and took an old one, which worked. What are the chances of any of them having a working battery in 2025? We have free memory maker so definitely want to be visible to Disney, rather than just for tapping for room, charges etc. I would rather not buy a Magic band+ if I can help it. TIA
If they're that old, they're almost certainly dead. But if you have a reasonably up-to-date smartphone with bluetooth permissions enabled for the My Disney Experience app, automatic photo linking and that sort of thing should be able to run through your phone with or without a live band.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter