• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RUMOR: Disney Vacation Club Considering Paid Member Perks Program

I'm not local, so if there was going to be such a thing, I would not join unless they had stuff that I could actually get to. I wasn't in town for any of the Moonlight Madness dates this year.

They would need to stop offering membership extras to new members then and let it run its required course of time where no one is guaranteed it any more. How its set up right now is that if they remove something they need to replace it with something of equal quality and value in the program.

So if it were done it would be a all at once sort of thing.

Move it to this model, give everyone free access via the historical model, then once the last contract runs out of time for Membership Extra guarantee they drop it fully.
I agree. I can see them doing it all at one time and frame it as a new way to enjoy DVC.

I agree. I can see them doing it all at one time and frame it as a new way to enjoy DVC.

I have a feeling what will happen is that they will leave membership extras with some things and then make this an upgrade to that. For example, they make the shopping discount at 10% for free, but if you want 20%, you get the upgraded program...similar to what Costco does.

We shall see....

Confirmed today in the TOTW reopening announcement: it's now only for "blue card" members with DVC Y on their digital card. Lameeeeeeee.
What is DVC Y? I'm an original member who has only purchased direct and owns at BLT. My blue card doesn't have a Y.

What is DVC Y? I'm an original member who has only purchased direct and owns at BLT. My blue card doesn't have a Y.
DVC has moved to a digital ID that links your membership to either Apple Pay or Google Pay via the MDE app. Those members who are eligible for membership magic benefits will have a Y on their digital ID. Members who do not qualify will have ND on their ID.

I don't have a smart phone and print my card from their website. It is blue with an expiration date but doesn't have a Y. Will this card be accepted?

I don't have a smart phone and print my card from their website. It is blue with an expiration date but doesn't have a Y. Will this card be accepted?

Many places are now requiring the digital card in MM and not accepting this any longer. It has been hit or miss since they are still fixing some peoples cards who were not showing correctly.

And, there is rumor that this card will eventually go away as well.

I have a feeling what will happen is that they will leave membership extras with some things and then make this an upgrade to that. For example, they make the shopping discount at 10% for free, but if you want 20%, you get the upgraded program...similar to what Costco does.

We shall see....
The Costco example is really a good way to put it and I agree. I also see it similar to airfare or credit cards, where you can pay more for a more 'enhanced' experience or benefits. What will be interesting is will they add more tiers over time with more benefits. I also wonder if it will need to be per member, per contract, or one fee to cover everything. If they do something per member, I can see that adding up quickly and would definitely change the math for a lot of people.

The Costco example is really a good way to put it and I agree. I also see it similar to airfare or credit cards, where you can pay more for a more 'enhanced' experience or benefits. What will be interesting is will they add more tiers over time with more benefits. I also wonder if it will need to be per member, per contract, or one fee to cover everything. If they do something per member, I can see that adding up quickly and would definitely change the math for a lot of people.

I have little faith they can figure out a logical way to make this work from any standpoint.

$100 won’t buy much privilege because everyone can afford it. So basically you will be giving Disney $100 for nothing. I’m sick and tired of the money grab.

It depends..say part of it It was an exclusive card that gave you 20% off dining instead on 10%. That would be worth it for us…like TIW, but for DVC only.

There are plenty of things they can do that might work well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter