• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RUMOR: Disney Vacation Club Considering Paid Member Perks Program

Agreed. They under-priced Genie+ by a longshot. So if you're going to make something exclusive, it needs to be priced accordingly to avoid breaching critical mass.

I am not sure it’s meant to be that exclusive, but a way to offer tiered benefits.

For example, CMs get…unless changed..a 10% discount on tickets for family and friends…maybe this new program gives you something like this?

Any money collected doesn’t have to cover the discounts…but a way to offset them in some way. It will be interesting for sure?

I'm not a DVC member, but this made me think that Disney could start offering similar paid "opportunities" to regular resort visitors and/or AP holders. For example, pay $100/$150/$200 and get access to bounceback offers or advance notice of room discounts or some "special" G+ sort of thing, etc.

i think we're looking at the future here. Things that used to be included with the DVC blue card and grandfathered white cards or with merely being a resort guest or AP holder are going to become paid perks.

I do find it odd that the term "perk" is being used, since it implies something that's freely given, not something one has to pay for.

ETA: The special G+ thing could be the ability to book G+ in advance. Kind of like FP+.

This is in the documents. All home resort owners have to have first come - first served availability, except the fixed weeks.

They could monkey around with the APs that don't exist and the handful of perks left. Moonlight Magic! Only $100! There is some precedent for this. There used to be a few paid events like drawing classes and tours and such.

I don’t see how first come first serve has anything to do with this , non premium members would retain current privileges, a room at the category they booked. The premium member would get their choice of available rooms in their category that they also booked.

I am not sure it’s meant to be that exclusive, but a way to offer tiered benefits.

For example, CMs get…unless changed..a 10% discount on tickets for family and friends…maybe this new program gives you something like this?

Any money collected doesn’t have to cover the discounts…but a way to offset them in some way. It will be interesting for sure?
Okay, I see what you mean. Well, it will be interesting for sure. I am open to any kind of initiative that increases the value of ownership -- even at an extra cost. It's up to each of us to weigh whether or not we see value for the price.

Any money collected doesn’t have to cover the discounts…but a way to offset them in some way.
I've always been of the opinion that on average perks cannot be worth what they cost. In specific cases, an individual might extract more value, but that can't be true on average. Disney is not in the business of creating money-losing programs.

At base tier, they give you one roll of two-ply TP at check-in.

At middle, they give you two.

Top tier is one roll per person in the unit!
It better be Charmin, or they ain't getting our Ben Franklin. (That's the guy on the US $100 bill for international DISboarders who don't know.)

"Negative expected utility"

There's no way this would be worth the price. Even at $100, I'm out.

I've always been of the opinion that on average perks cannot be worth what they cost. In specific cases, an individual might extract more value, but that can't be true on average. Disney is not in the business of creating money-losing programs.

I think what I mean is that if DVD is paying something now for certain things…like moonlight magic…or got into a deal with DPEP to offer us the Sorcerer pass, this helps to offset that for them to continue to offer.

Think of the old TIW card. For most people, it more than paid for itself but in the end, Disney made out because people ate out more than they may have without it.

At base tier, they give you one roll of two-ply TP at check-in.

At middle, they give you two.

Top tier is one roll per person in the unit!
You are being very generous

I was thinking they will install one of those shower coin slots you see in European youth hostels

base would get you one coin a day And so on

heating water is expensive, bobs got to make that up somewhere. Cold showers are free but you want hot water, put a coin into the slot

I don’t see how first come first serve has anything to do with this , non premium members would retain current privileges, a room at the category they booked. The premium member would get their choice of available rooms in their category that they also booked.
It's actually in the rules that they can't distribute rooms like this. This is important because DVC has always been unbalanced with some rooms/seasons more desirable than others.

It's actually in the rules that they can't distribute rooms like this. This is important because DVC has always been unbalanced with some rooms/seasons more desirable than others.

They can as long as they use points they own to upgrade at check in.

Nothing in the rules prevents that at all. What they can’t do is simply hold back rooms from other members and then give to someone else.

But if the day of check in, there is different room still available because DVD secured it using their points then if they want to give it someone else they can.

Plus 60 days or less all rooms are breakage. As long as owners get the maximum they are entitled to, DVC can do whatever they want with those rooms if they haven’t been reserved on cash. Plenty of ways for them to offer premium owners upgrades.

Take all these SSR points they have taken back. At 7 months, they use them to secure rooms at other resorts to offer to owners who are part of this program.

Last edited:

Not sure we are taking about the same thing ? I am suggesting a reservation from a premium member gets to select room# 12345 from all rooms availability in a category (similar to selecting a stateroom on a cruise). Non premium members have it selected by room assigners (from the category booked) from what’s left. Not sure how that conflicts with current contract language but we have probably beat this one to death already

Perhaps we'll hear something in July regarding AP's and this possible add on. I was *invited* to participate in the paid survey 6/14-16 but never got a call back. I would have gladly done it for free to represent DVC members from a 26 year perspective.

I don't know anyone on disboards that actually did get a call. I have to wonder if the initial survey was all they wanted - a total fake out.

Take my $100...at this point we've stopped counting! :badpc:
Got the same invitation and never got a call. Really wish I could have given my input too.

The contracts state we are only guaranteed a room at the resort we purchased everything else is a perk this renders the home resort advantage section void if they decide to remove the perk to book at another resort. The contract even tells you the room you own as well as the percentage. Further than letting you choose a room number they could charge to book in a different resort. Of course all of this would be a really bad idea for them to make a direct sale but than again we just do not know the layout of the new Poly as they can easily change the contract and how that is sold. They can easily start DVC 2. People stop buying groceries and spend lots more money on Disney food and tours and merchandise and ????? lets not try to save money and use the original DVC concept. We may get to keep the perks we have.

But who has to pay ? Kids if members aren’t considered members. Is it per membership or per person in household? That makes it a big differencez

I think what I mean is that if DVD is paying something now for certain things…like moonlight magic…or got into a deal with DPEP to offer us the Sorcerer pass, this helps to offset that for them to continue to offer.

Think of the old TIW card. For most people, it more than paid for itself but in the end, Disney made out because people ate out more than they may have without it.
Moonlight Magic is a great example of what a "perk" could be.

Perks could include Moonlight Magic, option to buy AP (any available for FL residents not just the Sorcerer), access to DVC lounges, discounts on food and merchandise etc. You know, things Blue card members already get.

Personally, I don't think they would offer the resale owners the option to purchase any type of "perk package". Why would they? If they want to entice new buyers, then direct only benefits would be a way to do that. We all know that resale savings equate to way more than a coke in the DVC lounge in Epcot.

Although we have two direct contracts, they only total 125 pts. So, if they had a tiered system then we would be at the lowest tier.

I know that membership extras are not guaranteed, but when we bought one of the top reasons was because we could buy the GOLD AP @$500 and not the out of state AP @ $1000. That savings alone was $1500/year.

All we can do it wait and see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter