Restaurants to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as so many of you have said, it is all about your opinion and experience.
Overall I think the food is pretty good at most locations. I have had some bad food, some great food and some "just ok" food. I will try most each location more than a few times before I cross it off my list and if I do cross it off, it is because it is BOTH the service and the food that are bad. Service can be bad one time, and great another. It all depends on the server. Same with the food and time of day. ( I was a former restaurant manager for many years).

With that said I only have one that I will NEVER go to ever!

Brown Derby!!

We had a horrible experience not only with the food, but with our server and even the manager who really could have cared less that we were so unhappy with what was happening with our meal and experience. To me that is totally uncalled for and I REFUSE to ever give them another chance.

I MAY try Tony's again someday, but I have to say that since the menu has changed quite a bit, we don't care for it much and haven't gone the last several trips, plus we are always freezing in that place!

Nine Dragons is a disappointment and the last time we left our plates almost full. It will be a while before I return

I have never eaten at Hollywood and Vine but after reading all the pages, I am sort of glad I have have!:lmao:

Once again, we have eaten at Mama Melrose numerous times, and the food was always good, service has always been excellent. So it just goes to show you, every restaurant has it's bad days.

Well I have never seen an Italian restaurant that doesn't give bread with a meal !!! Mama Melrose has the nerve to charge for some fancy bread as an appy:scared1:
Anyway another vote for food thats just fair. Olive Garden where I live is better :lmao:

I'm surprised so many people have listed Boma. Thats my favorite place to eat at Disney World! I crave Bomas throughout the year. lol

I was very disappointed in Sci-Fi Dine In. The food wasn't all that good, service was squirrely (though service is the most volatile and subjective measure)... it was just very, very disappointing.

I'd also recommend against Boatwright's. Very average and not worth the effort. If you're not staying at POR, don't bother making the trip. If you are at POR... I'd still say don't bother, but at least it's convenient.

Our criteria for good food is:

DW doesn't have to cook and I don't have to clean :)

We also make it a habit to order at least one "food item" we wouldn't normally order when we eat out (which isn't often because of DD4 and DS2).
Nine times out of ten we're glad we did.

I also think that people come with too much expectations to Disney because of the high prices and what in other places would be "acceptable" in Disney it's a disappointment.

This is more of a dining experience, but the Thanksgiving at the Fort was bad. The food was sooo disappointing.

Well we've not had a Restaurants to Avoid Tally in about two months of thread CPR, so I used my lunch hour to start a new Tally. :lmao:

As of the last post from 1:04 we have from worst to best...

Hollywood & Vine
ABC Commissary
Coral Reef
San Angel
Sci-Fi
Tony's
Whispering Canyon
Liberty Tree Tavern
Yak and Yeti
50's Prime Time
Boma
Garden Grill
Marrakesh
Chef Mickey's
1900 Park Fare
Akershus
Cinderella's Royal Table
Mama Melrose
Spoodles
Crystal Palace
Ohana
Pepper Market
Raglan Road
Boatwright's
Hollywood Brown Derby
Nine Dragons
Rose & Crown
Sunshine Seasons
Big River Brew Works
California Grill
Flying Fish
Fulton's
Kona
LeCellier
Pinocchio's Village Haus
Teppan Endo
Tomorrowland Noodle Station
Yachtsmen Steakhouse
Yakitoi House
Biergarten
Bongos
Cantina de San Angel
Cape May Café
Captain Jack's
Captain's Grille
Cinderella's Royal Gala at the GF
Citricos
El Pirate
ESPN
Garden Grove
Grand Floridian Café
Jiko Les Chefs de Fance
Lotus Blossom Café
Maya Grill
Narcoossee's
Pecos Bill's
Rain Forest Café
Rosie's All American Café
Spirit of Aloha
Tangeriene Café
The Launching Pad
Tusker House
Tutto Italia

Like others said, take it all with a grain of salt. Boma consistently gets good reviews, and it's on the list of the 11th worst choice at Disney.

And I hate the Wilderness Lodge restaurant. Long wait even with ADRs, terrible service, horrible food, noisy, not fun. I dislike it so much that even though I love the lodge and the rest of the resort, I won't stay there again because of that restaurant... yech.

This is too funny. This is a big reason we won't stay at the WL either. I don't know if you noticed, but when you walk in the lobby during the "food" hours, the lobby smells like that stuff they serve -- yech (and the other reason is the rude CM's at the WL front desk we dealt with on two different occasions).

The only TS I wouldn't return to is Chef Mickey's. We were there for dinner and it was pretty bad. I didn't think there were many choices and the ones there weren't very appetizing. It was a lively environment but really not all that much fun, and we didn't think the character interaction was very good either.

We'll be there this December and I still want the kids to have a character dining experience with Mickey, but this time we'll do it at the breakfast in AK.

1900 Park Fare
Garden Grill
Cyrstal Palace

But then, everyone's opinion is different. I don't understand why people don't like Chef Mickey's or Sci-Fi Dine In, for example.

Jiko - too exotic of foods for me but DH liked it.
Chef Mickey's - Great for a character meal but the food was terrible
50's Cafe - food is too Cracker Barrelish for me which is fine but just not what I wanted.
I feel the food at Chef Mickey's was not very good, but, i think they are selling the character interaction. 50's cafe i feel is for the atmosphere and "show". But Cracker Barrel food is fine for us common folk. :lmao:

ALL of the restaurants that serve via buffet style. All are major rip offs for what you get.

But for sit downs Peppers Market is my least favorite. And I was not happy with Yakatori only for the reason that the "entertainment" value was way low. Any Japanese Steak House here in VA is much better and cheaper.

Strange though to hear folks down on the Sci-Fi and the Coral Reef though I haven't been to either in quite a while. Maybe that is a different conversation, which restaurants did you used to like and now don't. :confused3

ABC Commisary i went there in April of 08 and Sept of 08 and the food was horrible. It seems all the food at DHS is going downhill

ABC Commissary all the way... the food is terrible and have seen many people return it. We sometimes just go in their for the Air Conditioning!

I gotta be honest. I love this place for breakfast.. but I expect that I will get greasy bad for me food. Eggs and bacon all the way, baby! :woohoo:

Well we've not had a Restaurants to Avoid Tally in about two months of thread CPR, so I used my lunch hour to start a new Tally. :lmao:

As of the last post from 1:04 we have from worst to best...

Hollywood & Vine
ABC Commissary
Coral Reef
San Angel
Sci-Fi
Tony's
Whispering Canyon
Liberty Tree Tavern
Yak and Yeti
50's Prime Time
Boma
Garden Grill
Marrakesh
Chef Mickey's
1900 Park Fare
Akershus
Cinderella's Royal Table
Mama Melrose
Spoodles
Crystal Palace
Ohana
Pepper Market
Raglan Road
Boatwright's
Hollywood Brown Derby
Nine Dragons
Rose & Crown
Sunshine Seasons
Big River Brew Works
California Grill
Flying Fish
Fulton's
Kona
LeCellier
Pinocchio's Village Haus
Teppan Endo
Tomorrowland Noodle Station
Yachtsmen Steakhouse
Yakitoi House
Biergarten
Bongos
Cantina de San Angel
Cape May Café
Captain Jack's
Captain's Grille
Cinderella's Royal Gala at the GF
Citricos
El Pirate
ESPN
Garden Grove
Grand Floridian Café
Jiko Les Chefs de Fance
Lotus Blossom Café
Maya Grill
Narcoossee's
Pecos Bill's
Rain Forest Café
Rosie's All American Café
Spirit of Aloha
Tangeriene Café
The Launching Pad
Tusker House
Tutto Italia

Like others said, take it all with a grain of salt. Boma consistently gets good reviews, and it's on the list of the 11th worst choice at Disney.
This is GREAT!!!! I love it Tricia:cool1::thumbsup2:banana: Thanks even if 2 of my faves are in the top 10.

IMO it is all the same food to me. I think it is just prepared and priced differently at the restaurants.

Mickey Backyard BBQ - Paid close to $50 a person for AWFUL food!! :sad2:Never again

Le Cellier - tuff could barely cut steaks , nice dining room

Ohana - Sick as a dog after I ate there:sick:, but I was the only one who got sick so we will try it again

Our worst, bottom of hte heap: PIZZA PLANET: That pizza arcade place in DHS. Like a chuck e cheese's with worse pizza.

ABC COMMISSARY

HOLLYWOOD & VINE

TONYS

OHANAS (terrible service 3 times, with food basically dumped on our table before we even got our drinks)

THE ODDESSY (good thing it closed; had to say it! :laughing:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter