Restaurant regrets

I remember years ago, back when Epcot had really interesting food. Now I really believe they dumb-down authentic cuisine to please our boring white-bread, no spice American taste. Heaven forbid people try new things! How many times do we read on here "my kid only eats...." facepalm.

Yachtsman - I was excited to eat there because DH and I are steak lovers. The steaks were terrible - so overcooked. I sent mine back and the new one they brought out was just as terrible. I was so disappointed.
When did you go to the Yachtsman? we have reservations towards the end of October and am hoping it's good.

California Grill: The food wasn't bad, but honestly I couldn't tell you what we had, it just wasn't memorable. The server was awful, condescending and rude, also ignored us most of the time. I'm more willing, but it would take some convincing to get anyone else in my family to go back.

I know we are all different and have different tastes but we’re there any restaurants you tried that you regretted spending the money on afterwards? Or any that you caution others to steer clear of?
Right now mine has been Blue Zoo, I know its not a Disney restaurant but is in the swan and dolphin. It was a very limited menu compared to past times and just mediocre.

I know we are all different and have different tastes but we’re there any restaurants you tried that you regretted spending the money on afterwards? Or any that you caution others to steer clear of?
I hate to say it - but Artist's Point. I found the food to be VERY disappointing.
Mind you, I loved the meet and greet, but the food was bleah imo.

Same with California Grill - but I blame myself there. I was afraid it was too expensive, so let my husband get the expensive steak and I got some bland cheap cheese ravioli. Never again. if you're going for the big places, spend the money.

But I'm with lots of people on the following as well:

Art Smith's Homecomin' is ridiculously overrated and overpriced. Been there twice; never again. The service is rushed. Their ubiquitous fried chicken (and the pot roast) is both greasy and bland. Honestly, you can get better fried chicken at Popeye's or some other fast food places.
The chicken wasn't 'bad', but it wasn't 'all that'. The Moonshine though and corn bread - worth a sit ;)

Ohana (dinner): food quality and rushed/rude service.
Deluxe Burger: food quality with burger and bun broken into pieces like it had been dropped in the kitchen and shoved back on the plate.
Sci-Fi: love the theming and movies but food consistently poor esp appetizers, pasta, and steak. Just stick with the burger and make it a burger joint already.
Never had a problem with service -
Ohana breakfast - Meh, over hyped. Only worth it to meet Stitch.
Deluxe Burger - Also meh and over hyped. Prefer Five Guys over their burger.
Sci-Fi - Has some good items, but gotta be careful, and I agree, stick with the burger.

Skipper Canteen - we weren't expecting amazing but man, everything we ordered was meh to bad.
Really really hard for picky eaters, and the chicken dish there was also over cooked and dry for us.

Other disappointments:
San Angel Inn - Menu has changed since I last ate there, might give it another try. When we where there, it was like a poor Chi-Chi's.
Rose & Crown - Greasy, my stomach was super upset afterwards.
Spice Road Table - Incredibly dry and overcooked skewers. Seasoning was really super green pepper flavored.
Mama Melrose - Just don't. Please. So many better Italian places in WDW.
PizzeRizzo - Feel like they microwave their pizzas.
Cosmic Ray's - Just Meh. Old grease for the fries and bland burger.
Tusker House Breakfast - Very bland with barely a couple 'unique' dishes that were just yuck to me.
Yak & Yeti - Last time I was there it was bad to me, but good to my friends. Menu is drastically different and I'm going to give it another try on our visit in Oct.
Kona Cafe - Was great the first time I went, and sucked the next two times. Menu has changed again, so may give it another try.

Now you want to talk some consistently fantastic places:
Brown Derby - Totally undervalued, but fantastic burger and food every time I've been there.
50's Prime time - Ditto - Great every time, and reasonable price. Do not deny yourself the milkshakes.
Via Napoli - My favorite, always and forever. Get pizza and go traditional - cheese, ham, mushroom or prosciutto.
Tokyo Dining - Pretty good sushi and tempura. Does not beat it's downstairs cousin, Takumi-Tei, but they're not open yet.

Last edited:

Both pre-COVID-19:

Dinner at Ohana - too chaotic, loud, and overpriced
Lunch at BOG - like Ohana, chaotic, loud, overpriced, and the food was not good

Our huge never again that people love, Il Mulino. Oh my, it was awful!

I will say at least my entree, Frutti di Mare, was edible although incredibly bland. My daughter's salmon was dry as a bone - she didn't get it with the mushroom sauce, but ordering it without the sauce shouldn't make the chef cook it into oblivion. By far the worst was my husbands entree, Pollo Far Diavolo. I kid you not, arrived with no chicken. Umm ... that's the pollo! Of course he talked to the waiter who said, "Oh yeah, that does look like only sausage. I'll get some chicken for ya." 18 minutes later here comes the cut up chicken that was so chewy and had pieces with tendons that my husband just gave up. The server saw he didn't eat it, asked, my husband politely told him the situation, but the server just shrugged and left. Made no means to amend. 0-3, one and done in our book.

Be Our Guest, T-Rex, Skipper Canteen. The decor is better than the food, at least in my opinion.
Ronto Roasters just didn't live up to the hype for me.
Of course, I'd never tell someone to not go to any of these. BOG and Skipper Canteen have amazing decor that needs to be seen.

Right now mine has been Blue Zoo, I know its not a Disney restaurant but is in the swan and dolphin. It was a very limited menu compared to past times and just mediocre.

Blue Zoo was one of the worst meal experiences we've ever had at Disney, The food was awful and so salty that my head almost exploded. The dining room was freezing and the service totally inattentive.

We tend to move around doing 1-&-done because often what we enjoyed the first time we haven't the next. For instance all the Polynesian eateries in all tiers - we like is Tambu Lounge for drinks only. I like staying there but we order food. The Coral Reef, Whispering Canyon, Splitsville, TRex, Rainforest Cafe, Raglan Road - although you'll find us at the bar every trip for both Raglan Road and TRex.

50s Prime Time is normally a favorite for us but the food was a disappointment earlier this week. I regret the $80 we spent there.

On the other hand, Skipper Canteen was a first for us this trip and was delicious. A+!

Not many restaurants are regrets for me because I'm a local so I can go where ever whenever I want but these restaurants I think are bad. I'm not including QS because it would basically include everything.
Cinderella's - Only reason to go is to be in Castle, food is garbage.
Liberty Tree Tavern - Frozen dinner quality.
Skippers Canteen - Toned down the flavors and now is bland and boring.
Crystal Palace - Only for characters.
Tepan Edo -Meh
Tokyo Dining - Same
Rose and Crown - just disappointing.
Garden Grill - Rotating part is cool, food is forgetable.
50's primtime - There is a reason people don't make food from the 50's anymore.
Tusker House - Same as Skippers Canteen
Yak and Yeti - Cheap flavorless food.
Flying Fish
The Wave
Toledo - Go to Jaleos
Toppolina
Shulas - I'm a dolphins fan and this was just bad.
Spirit of Aloha - Same quality of food as the stuff you would get at any dinner show on i-drive.
Artists Point - One of the best restaurants turned in to a terrible character meet and greet.
Art Smiths
Wolfgang Puck
QS but Chicken Guy - Awful

Skipper Canteen. The food was not good and our service was less than mediocre. It will be a long time before we give it another try.

I love reading about restaurants that people post that they can't stand or just love. Opinions are like belly buttons; we all have one. LOL.

For me here is my list of been there done that and unless there is a major change, never again.

1. LeCellier- Shame on me for giving it the benefit of the doubt and giving it a second try. A dark, loud, and noisy place that screamed Outback to me. The mushroom filet was very average with a mushroom sauce that tasted like Campbells mushroom soup and a risotto that was like it came out of a box of Minute Rice.
  2. ABC Commissary- I'll admit, it's been a long, long time for me since I've been there. But it was so awful that I cannot bring myself to walk through those doors again unless it's to use the restroom and get a cold soda.
  3. Chef Mickey- I get it's iconic Disney. I get that it has the Fab 5. I get that it's so close to the MK. But the food for me was so Golden Corral quality awful and begging for a server to refill my beverage for over 30 minutes was more than enough for me. That and watching kids hack, pick food and put it back, and pick noses while serving themselves was enough for me. (pre-covid).
  4. Kona Cafe- I was so excited to try the Tonga Toast and once I did it was as disappointing as that first childhood kiss with the girl next door.
  5. Via Napoli- I know this place is so well regarded and it's almost blasphemous to say anything negative about this place on the DIS or other Disney forum sites. But this place was so disappointing for me. I just don't care for the pizza or the other dishes there. I don't have to be from NY or Chicago to know good pizza or what I like. I do not like this place at all and is another of those one and done for me.

I know so many people love Chefs de France, and I’d say it was just an off night, but none of our party of four, with very diverse tastes, found our food to be more than just “meh.” It was DH, DD, her BFF, and me, and while the appetizers were pretty good, the entrees were underwhelming. It was two years ago so I don’t remember all our meals, but what stands out is DH‘s not-very-tasty beef bourguignon, which was inexplicably served with spaghetti lol.

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter