Resort Parking Fees to be enforced

I think we are all pretty uptight about these parking fees (well I am anyways). But, it does sound like you were not scamming the system if you paid to park at your resort and had an ADR. Not that it really matters... Disney is hosing us all with their ridiculous pricing schemes. Any way we can find to save a few bucks we should do it.

I agree. But I didn’t save any money.
Paid for my hotel parking. And I would have had free park parking either way.

We are annual passholders and go to the park often. Refuse to stay on Disney property any longer as long as they keep charging for overnight parking. Another Disney rip off as if they need more money. Staying at a Disney Resort is expensive enough and should not be gouging for additional fees. Disney charges it because the people pay it. We stay off site now nearby and find it even better. No buses to wait for and we can come and go quicker. We still get free parking in the parks with our pass. Rooms by the way are much better off site and are about 60% cheaper. Ten minutes by car or 30 minutes by bus......think about it and send Disney a message.

This has little to do with enforcing policies for people trying to “cheat the system” and much more to do with Disney not having the operational ability to document vehicles parked overnight.

2 recent examples, booked single night resort stays relatively last minute (within 30 days). Online check in, tap in to the parking lot with my magic band at Pop Century (August) and Coronado (this Monday). Was not charged for parking in either instance. I wasn’t TRYING to get around it, I tapped in with my MB. If they can’t track that back to my reservation and charge me, I can’t help them.

I don’t think I said people can park any where they darn please. Read again.

Do you work there? If not relax. Cause I asked actual people who work there.
I wasnt scamming, I paid for parking at my resort and had An ADR and was told I can leave my car there for the day. I followed the rules and enjoyed the day. Again it was great.

It's not the rule, though.

"Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels."

Nothing in there about being able to park at the resort to visit a theme park.

we did not have a reservation. we were there to shop and eat at contempo cafe for lunch one day.

Now I'm scared! We like to go to AKL, but eat at Mara so no reservation, but they have zebra domes and butternut squash soup, and they're cheaper than Boma. We'd better not be denied entrance next time! We're DVC also.
What I'm wondering is suppose we'd been regular resort guests and here's the scenario-I flew, so no car, came by DME. Due to a family illness, DH was several days delayed, but then he drove and arrived about day 3. At the time, he just went directly to the room. Would we have been charged from day 1, day 3, or not at all (assuming we weren't DVC)?

We are annual passholders and go to the park often. Refuse to stay on Disney property any longer as long as they keep charging for overnight parking. Another Disney rip off as if they need more money. Staying at a Disney Resort is expensive enough and should not be gouging for additional fees. Disney charges it because the people pay it. We stay off site now nearby and find it even better. No buses to wait for and we can come and go quicker. We still get free parking in the parks with our pass. Rooms by the way are much better off site and are about 60% cheaper. Ten minutes by car or 30 minutes by bus......think about it and send Disney a message.

I agree. We own some DVC points so stay onsite some but have tried many offsite options. There are many great options, particularly the Bonnet creek resorts. Much much better than any onsite value or mod, imho. Which are your favorite off site hotels and why?

Last edited:

He'll be staying at the Beach Club, so he can walk wherever he chooses. (But he won't be able to use his car or else a bunch of inconsiderate people from the values and mods will take all the Beach Club parking spaces. Lol.)

Ironic humor is the best! ;)

Did those people from the values or mods pay for parking as I did? And did they have a dinner reservation? Sure they can.
That means they are following the rules.
We play by the rules. Do u understand or no? I can explain. I love how work up u guys get. It’s great.

I don’t think I said people can park any where they darn please. Read again.

Do you work there? If not relax. Cause I asked actual people who work there.
I wasnt scamming, I paid for parking at my resort and had An ADR and was told I can leave my car there for the day. I followed the rules and enjoyed the day. Again it was great.

I think this is one of those issues that Disney enforces when they want to, not on a regular basis. I used to eat 2-3 times per week at CR, over a period of several years. Most days having an ADR was a quick wave through, with no limit on parking time. Sometimes I was given a three hour pass that had to be displayed on the dash of the car that said the car could (could, not would) be towed after that time expired. One time, just once, I was turned away at the guard gate even with a valid ADR, and told I would have to park in MK parking and monorail to the resort. So even at the same resort my experiences varied widely, depending on how busy the hotel and MK happened to be that day. Yet during this time, the official policy was always parking allowed only while dining or shopping, not all day. I am glad you had a positive experience but I would not count on having that experience all the time, especially as they tighten down on parking at the resorts.

Disney is well known for not communicating official policy well to the CMs who work there. Most of the time they will just tell you what they think you want to hear to avoid a conflict. So there is often a gap between actual policy and what is told to individual guests. I do not doubt you are being truthful about what you were told. It just doesn’t line up with official policy as written by Disney. Unfortunately that is par for the course with new or controversial policies at Disney.

Back to the topic at hand . . .could a part of the new CM at the guard gate be related to more people trying to park at resorts free since the theme park parking fee went up a couple weeks ago? I can’t believe it’s just a coincidence. I would guess there was a significant uptick in the number of cars hanging out all day that weren’t on the registered guest list and they want to nip it in the bud.

I think this is one of those issues that Disney enforces when they want to, not on a regular basis. I used to eat 2-3 times per week at CR, over a period of several years. Most days having an ADR was a quick wave through, with no limit on parking time. Sometimes I was given a three hour pass that had to be displayed on the dash of the car that said the car could be (could, not would) be towed after that time expired. One time, just once, I was turned away at the guard gate even with a valid ADR, and told I would have to park in MK parking and monorail to the resort. So even at the same resort my experiences varied widely, depending on how busy the hotel and MK happened to be that day. Yet during this time, the official policy was always parking allowed only while dining or shopping, not all day. I am glad you had a positive experience but I would not count on having that experience all the time, especially as they tighten down on parking at the resorts.

Disney is well known for not communicating official policy well to the CMs who work there. Most of the time they will just tell you what they think you want to hear to avoid a conflict. So there is often a gap between actual policy and what is told to individual guests. I do not doubt you are being truthful about what you were told. It just doesn’t line up with official policy as written by Disney. Unfortunately that is par for the course with new or controversial policies at Disney.

Back to the topic at hand . . .could a part of the new CM at the guard gate be related to more people trying to park at resorts free since the theme park parking fee went up a couple weeks ago? I can’t believe it’s just a coincidence. I would guess there was a significant uptick in the number of cars hanging out all day that weren’t on the registered guest list and they want to nip it in the bud.

Very valid point you make above. Seems like there would be a more effective and permanent way to address it but your theory makes sense to me.

Very valid point you make above. Seems like there would be a more effective and permanent way to address it but your theory makes sense to me.

I am thinking they are trying to get a more accurate count of registered guests with cars so they can determine how many cars shouldn’t be there overnight. The resorts that were specifically mentioned first are resorts that could have issues with not enough resort parking for registered guests before the paid parking issue. If they know they have 800 spaces, but only 300 people have said they are overnight with a car and the lot is packed, there is something very wrong. Either you have a lot of fee dodgers or a lot of day parkers.

If they are going to have paid parking, I think it should be timed with a daily cap. Give them a couple hours free, then so much an hour until you max out, and have the max out time at a half park day or less. So you show up at Poly for breakfast, eat, and you know if you go to MK you will have to pay x amount per hour up to the daily max. But if you move your car to the MK lot after breakfast for the day, no resort charge. I have been one of those registered guests at MK or Epcot resorts who has had to circle the lot trying to find a space because the lot is full during the day, but empty at night. It was bad enough when the parking was free, but at $24 per day, I would be livid.

If they are going to have paid parking, I think it should be timed with a daily cap. Give them a couple hours free, then so much an hour until you max out, and have the max out time at a half park day or less. So you show up at Poly for breakfast, eat, and you know if you go to MK you will have to pay x amount per hour up to the daily max. But if you move your car to the MK lot after breakfast for the day, no resort charge. I have been one of those registered guests at MK or Epcot resorts who has had to circle the lot trying to find a space because the lot is full during the day, but empty at night. It was bad enough when the parking was free, but at $24 per day, I would be livid.

This idea seems the most fair for everyone - I hope Disney is listening...

This idea seems the most fair for everyone - I hope Disney is listening...
or just remove the stupid fee and jack up the room prices for next year to make up for it. They will anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter