Remy on the Disney Fantasy

F_abian

Earning My Ears
I've done Palo on the Disney Magic and I'm going to do it again on the fantasy. I also want to try Remy. What are your thoughts on Remy? Is it worth the price?

I've done Palo on the Disney Magic and I'm going to do it again on the fantasy. I also want to try Remy. What are your thoughts on Remy? Is it worth the price?
I can't really say whether it's "worth it" for you. But, for me, not so much. We're not really "foodies" (unless the chef really destroys a meal, we're good), so paying that much for a meal doesn't fly for us.

Remy is a fantastic experience. To us it differs from Palo but only you can determine if it is “better” for you. The key difference is that Remy’s seems to be served more like a true multi-course meal. While both meals are good Palo is more of a good dinner and Remy is a dining experience (or an evening of fine dining).

I would think a good comparison is Citrico’s vs. Victoria & Albert’s. Both are good, the two just have a different feel. If you have never had the chance to try V&A this would be as close as you can get for about half the $$$$. We ordered from both Chef Scott Hunnel and Chef Arnaud Lallement‘s menus and both were very good but I would have to give a slight edge to Chef Scott. The French style flavors were a little more subdued and I liked the bigger and bolder flavors from Chef Scott.

Remy cost
  • Dinner: $95 dining charge per person
  • Remy Champagne Brunch: $60 charge per person; $30 charge per person extra when adding the Champagne pairing
  • Remy Dessert Experience: $55 charge per person; $25 charge per person extra when adding the wine pairing
  • Petites Assiettes de Remy: $50 charge per person (includes a wine pairing with each course)
    • This event can only be booked onboard
  • Remy Wine Pairing Experience: $105 charge per person

V&A - Prices are per person and do not include tax, tip or alcohol unless indicated:
$185.00 per person (Tax, alcohol, and gratuity additional)

It's the best food on board, but it's still ... food on a ship. They do an amazing job given the constraints of cooking at sea, but whether or not it's worth it to you will depend on your food preferences, price sensitivity, etc. We don't cruise for the food, and live in a city with abundant world class restaurants, so it's not something we feel like we "need" to include. We did eat there on our first cruise, but that was mostly to get a nice adult break from our children! Hah. And of course it was delicious, but not nearly as good as what we could get on land for the same price point.

I really enjoyed my meal at Remy, got engaged there so it’ll always hold a special place in my heart. But I don’t think I’ll book it again. Palo was a great meal and way cheaper. I’ve also been to Victoria and Albert’s and find that meal to be the most amazing meal ever and I just didn’t think Remy lived up to it. I’ve never had something at V&A that I didn’t like, even food I normally don’t like I liked there. There were a couple dishes at Remy I was not a fan of, which was a bit disappointing since it was so expensive. But I also strongly believe that people should try something for themselves since opinions can vary from your own experience. I have a cruise coming up on the Fantasy I’m not going to Remy, but am going to Palo.

It's the best food on board, but it's still ... food on a ship. They do an amazing job given the constraints of cooking at sea, but whether or not it's worth it to you will depend on your food preferences, price sensitivity, etc. We don't cruise for the food, and live in a city with abundant world class restaurants, so it's not something we feel like we "need" to include. We did eat there on our first cruise, but that was mostly to get a nice adult break from our children! Hah. And of course it was delicious, but not nearly as good as what we could get on land for the same price point.

I haven't eaten at Remy, but one of the topics that comes up all the time on that social media site we don't talk about is how much to tip at Remy, and inevitably, many people say "there's no way you could get a meal on land as good as Remy for the price". I find this hard to believe, since in my city, an amazing meal can indeed be had for less than $95 USD per person, leaving aside the fact that on a cruise ship you've already paid a fee for your meal, so $95 is an upcharge, not the price. Food is so subjective though eh?

I'm a foodie and I loved our experience at Remy. Given the chance, I would totally go again, even though bringing DH's suit is a pain!

The price was worth it to me since similar style restaurants near me would be at least $200/person. The French Laundry in Napa is $310/person - now that was a one and done for me. Not saying they're comparable, but personally I had a better experience at Remy.

Everyone's food preferences are so different. Maybe take a look at some pictures and see if it appeals? The menu changes though, so you won't get the exact same thing.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/03/06/guest-review-disney-cruise-lines-remy/
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneycruiseline/dining-at-remy-dinner-review-on-the-disney-dream/

I much preferred Palo to Remy. You have a lot more choices at Palo (even at dinner), and I simply liked the food better. The food at Remy is frou frou. If you're a "foodie", you'll probably love Remy, but if you're just seeking a good meal in an adult setting, stick with Palo.

We just ate at Remy on the Fantasy last Wednesday, and it was amazing, truly a wonderful dining experience. We are foodies, and my husband is a chef, so we really enjoyed it. Not only is the food unique and delicious, the servers went out of their way to make us feel special, even more so than the servers in the regular dining rooms, which is saying a lot, because our servers last week were amazing.

We just ate at Remy on the Fantasy last Wednesday, and it was amazing, truly a wonderful dining experience. We are foodies, and my husband is a chef, so we really enjoyed it. Not only is the food unique and delicious, the servers went out of their way to make us feel special, even more so than the servers in the regular dining rooms, which is saying a lot, because our servers last week were amazing.

Yay!!! So happy for you! Sounds wonderful all the way around!

Preface: DW and I are meat and potatoes people. We did Remy once for the experience. Neither of us had done a 3 hour meal before. Also we are both dry and don't consume any alcohol.

That said, I found the experience to be interesting and worth it for a one time thing. The chef presented us with some interesting food choices which I would doubtlessly never have had anywhere else. I tried to sample everything. There was a particularly interesting thing I remember that was like a tomato soup in a cube. The cube burst into your mouth and it really tasted pretty good.

Is it something I would do on a regular basis? Nope. If I were on the ship with some first timers who were foodies, I might bring them there to experience it.

Both DW and I found it worth it for the one time experience so we do not for one moment regret having done it. However, it's not really what excites either of us. My recommendation to people who ask is that it's worth it to try it once and see if it's for you.

Saw FSU Girl’s post and have to clarify, I was mainly comparing the pace of the multi-course meal experience to V&A. You can try but can’t really replicate the 3 hour, multiple course dining experience any other place on the ship. While the food is good at Remy’s and probably a notch above Palo it is not the same as V&A. So while Remy is similar in quality and taste, it is the experience that most resembles V&A.

There was a particularly interesting thing I remember that was like a tomato soup in a cube. The cube burst into your mouth and it really tasted pretty good.

That is the amouse bouchée, fried tomato soup and that was my favorite. It was great and a super fun nibble. I’m surprised they are still they are still doing that since we last went over two years and three cruises ago. But that is what makes this a notch below the land based fine dining counterparts - The ability to source the freshest foods and adjust the menu are much harder on the ship.

We enjoyed the experience of Remy on the Fantasy. The food, atmosphere, and wait staff were beyond the cost of the meal. But like PP, once was enough for the memorable time we had in Remy. Enjoy Palo brunch and dinner when we cruise. And that is the difference; we loved the experience of Remy but enjoy eating at Palo.

I haven't eaten at Remy, but one of the topics that comes up all the time on that social media site we don't talk about is how much to tip at Remy, and inevitably, many people say "there's no way you could get a meal on land as good as Remy for the price". I find this hard to believe, since in my city, an amazing meal can indeed be had for less than $95 USD per person, leaving aside the fact that on a cruise ship you've already paid a fee for your meal, so $95 is an upcharge, not the price. Food is so subjective though eh?

You can get an amazing meal on land for $95USD or less per person but probably not one that is comparable to Remy in terms of ingredients, menu design, chef skill and overall calibre. And you are correct that it is an upcharge not the full cost but given what we spend at Victoria & Albert's which is reasonably comparable to Remy (I consider V&A to be better because they have access to fresher ingredients), for us it is still a bargain at the upcharge. Whether anyone else considers it a bargain over and above a good meal at the same price is in the eye of the beholder. If Remy/V&A style of dining (multi-course multi-hour tasting menus with ingredients that may be out of the ordinary) is not your cup of tea, then you won't consider it to be as good as something of equal cost. Food is, indeed, quite subjective.

Both DW and I found it worth it for the one time experience so we do not for one moment regret having done it. However, it's not really what excites either of us. My recommendation to people who ask is that it's worth it to try it once and see if it's for you.

This pretty much sums it up for us. DH and I love Palo and always, always have dinner and brunch there each DCL cruise. We decided to splurge for Remy almost 3 years ago on the Dream. It was truly a lovely meal and experience. But I have to give this caveat: WATCH OUT FOR THOSE UPGRADES unless you have deep pockets.

It was apparently truffle season during our cruise and they made quite the presentation of a special glass cloche (with a hole at the top to smell those precious strange looking delicacies), and offered us the special truffle courses. DH apparently was not listening at ALL to the prices for these truffle upgrades and order all 3 courses of the truffle offerings to the tune of $250 MORE. My eyeballs almost popped out of my head! :eek: Because Remy is fine dining, I chose not to kick him under the nice table, and didn't say, "what the heck are you THINKING?"!! :laughing: He THEN oh-so-casually ordered the Wagyu beef. Cha-CHING! ANOTHER $75!!! :faint: I had ordered ONE of my courses as the special truffle one, which was an extra $75. :blush: All that fit-for-a-sitcom activity along with the regular uncharge for Remy, and a nice tip brought our meal up to well over $500. :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: I almost croaked! We ARE foodies so we have had plenty of pricey meals, but NOT that pricey, honey! So unless you don't care how much you spend, make SURE to listen to those "options" and their prices. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:That said, we are one and done.( Back to Palo for us. :cutie:)

You can get an amazing meal on land for $95USD or less per person but probably not one that is comparable to Remy in terms of ingredients, menu design, chef skill and overall calibre. And you are correct that it is an upcharge not the full cost but given what we spend at Victoria & Albert's which is reasonably comparable to Remy (I consider V&A to be better because they have access to fresher ingredients), for us it is still a bargain at the upcharge. Whether anyone else considers it a bargain over and above a good meal at the same price is in the eye of the beholder. If Remy/V&A style of dining (multi-course multi-hour tasting menus with ingredients that may be out of the ordinary) is not your cup of tea, then you won't consider it to be as good as something of equal cost. Food is, indeed, quite subjective.

Oh, you absolutely can, it just depends where you live. Of course whether it is worth it is eye of the beholder. We are foodies living in a foodie town (Chicago) with access to amazing restaurants at price points both far lower and far higher than Remy. when I wrote initially that it was comparable $$, I was thinking of a 2-star Michelin restaurant with an 8 course prix fixe for $115/person -- more than Remy, granted, but roughly comparable considering it's an upcharge. And that's with fresher ingredients, far more flexibility in the kitchen, much more service, etc etc etc.

It is no knock on Remy to say it's not the same caliber -- that they are able to produce food that is as good as they do while on a boat is a total Disney miracle. And if we lived somewhere where we couldn't access that quality of presentation and cooking and innovation, we'd absolutely want to go anytime we were on board.

Anyway, the short version is -- your mileage may vary!

We've done Remy on the Dream and as foodies living in a different foodie town (Boston) who've experienced fine dining in several countries, we were totally pleased with what we got at that price point. We went all in and got the caviar and the Miyazaki beef and whatnot on top of the main meal and I genuinely enjoyed almost everything presented to me, including the wines we selected. The service was also truly excellent. It's totally possible that we were just drunk on the sunset and the Disney cruise magic of it all, but DH and I liked it enough that we're definitely doing it again when we sail on the Fantasy in April.

My wife and I ate there on the same night! I agree with everything you said and additionally we thought the wine pairings were ridiculously good. For us, Remy is a do not miss event on the Fantasy.

Regarding the original post : I don't think it is possible to ask people on a board whether Remy is right for you. The Remy experience is so far from ordinary everyday life, it is possible that the food, service and atmosphere could be too foreign, which could knock many people's sense of value out of whack. I am certainly not trying to portray this as a value meal, but most people tend to compare their Remy experience with other restaurant experiences and conclude that Remy is simply not worth a repeat. Their decision is cool with me, but it is one only they can make based on giving the experience a try themselves, not based on what a board of strangers has to say. I would definitely suggest to give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter