Remy on the Disney Fantasy

This pretty much sums it up for us. DH and I love Palo and always, always have dinner and brunch there each DCL cruise. We decided to splurge for Remy almost 3 years ago on the Dream. It was truly a lovely meal and experience. But I have to give this caveat: WATCH OUT FOR THOSE UPGRADES unless you have deep pockets.

It was apparently truffle season during our cruise and they made quite the presentation of a special glass cloche (with a hole at the top to smell those precious strange looking delicacies), and offered us the special truffle courses. DH apparently was not listening at ALL to the prices for these truffle upgrades and order all 3 courses of the truffle offerings to the tune of $250 MORE. My eyeballs almost popped out of my head! :eek: Because Remy is fine dining, I chose not to kick him under the nice table, and didn't say, "what the heck are you THINKING?"!! :laughing: He THEN oh-so-casually ordered the Wagyu beef. Cha-CHING! ANOTHER $75!!! :faint: I had ordered ONE of my courses as the special truffle one, which was an extra $75. :blush: All that fit-for-a-sitcom activity along with the regular uncharge for Remy, and a nice tip brought our meal up to well over $500. :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: I almost croaked! We ARE foodies so we have had plenty of pricey meals, but NOT that pricey, honey! So unless you don't care how much you spend, make SURE to listen to those "options" and their prices. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:That said, we are one and done.( Back to Palo for us. :cutie:)

Absolutely this. To me the original cost was no biggie. However, the add-ons make it very expensive and they do add up quickly! As I mentioned, we don't really drink alcohol, but they were quick to try to sell you on the recommended drinks that go with each course for a pretty penny.

I've done Palo on the Disney Magic and I'm going to do it again on the fantasy. I also want to try Remy. What are your thoughts on Remy? Is it worth the price?

If you enjoy fine dining, it is fantastic. I think it's worth the money, but my husband and I have no problem spending lots of money on very good meals. I am pretty sure our Remy experience earlier this year sold my husband on another cruise next year.

Since DH and I don't drink alcohol, there weren't any alcohol add-ons to worry about. They served us a blend of fruit juices to start, and didn't try to push the alcohol.

We figured the cost was similar to a shore excursion. It was fun to try Remy once, tho I doubt we'll do it again. We enjoyed Palo for both the brunch and dinner on different cruises, but I suspect we'll wait til we hit platinum status to dine there again. Just other options/priorities we'd rather spend our $$$ on.

Absolutely this. To me the original cost was no biggie. However, the add-ons make it very expensive and they do add up quickly! As I mentioned, we don't really drink alcohol, but they were quick to try to sell you on the recommended drinks that go with each course for a pretty penny.

When they first offered us the complimentary champagne, we told them we don't drink alcohol, and it wasn't brought up again. They brought us a drink that was jasmine tea with raspberry puree instead, and it was really yummy!

Just ate there last night to close out a cruise with our dear friends who moved away a few months ago.
The presentation and experience were like nothing else at sea. And, now that we live in Montana, unlike anything remotely available to us.
That said, the $250 we spent was well worth the food and overall atmosphere/experience when enjoyed with friends. For us, it helped to break the “stuffiness” as we are a little more crusty and sarcastic than what is portrayed in that beautiful space.
We’ll likely continue to occasionally dine in Remy or whatever they dream up for the new ships for very special occasions. It keeps it special. So, to mark decade anniversaries or perhaps as a “welcome to the next level of Castaway Club.”

We just had our 11th meal at Remy (1 dessert, 2 brunches, 8 dinners) with dinner on the Dream last week. It remains one of the top dining experiences we've ever had, and we've eaten in fine restaurants around the world. This is obviously just our opinion, but our Remy dinners have been better in both food quality and service than the 3 dinners we've had at Victoria & Alberts over the years. And the fact that such quality is available on a ship at sea is nothing short of miraculous.
Please keep in mind that they will bend over backwards to make your experience wonderful. On the couple of occasions that we were served a dish we didn't care for, it was immediately whisked away and a wonderful substitute provided. Yes, it's pricey, especially with the add-ons (my wife loves truffles, and for me the Miyazaki beef is one of the best things I've ever eaten), but we think it's totally worth it. Love Palo brunch, too, but Remy is truly special.

We did Remy on the last Disney Cruise (Fantasy) when it was $75 a head and it was an amazing experience. I don't recall but I think we were there for over 3 hours. Possibly near 4. Not sure if they're strict about the timing. Also, we initially did the prix fixe I think for the French menu but then somehow it came up that we had the option of ordering more (a la carte from both the French and American menus). We ended up pigging out and ordering several more entrees LOL! At the end the chef came out to "greet" us but probably wanted to find out who these people were who kept ordering multiple dishes. Hahaha! It was a memorable experience for sure. Now, I'm not sure if they allow ordering *more* menu items but I don't see why not either. I'm sure it's awful etiquette to order multiple other dishes outside of prix fixe in this sort of setting but the way I see it, we do this once in a blue moon so what's the big deal? And it's not like we're making a scene and offending other patrons in the restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter