Removing Wedding Ring?

I just had my ring finger removed, they then took the ring and resized it, and then I had my finger reattached. In and out in the same day. Pretty easy actually.:rotfl:

After 35 years, arthritis around the knuckles makes getting my rings off very difficult.:scared1: Not an issue, except IF there is a unexpected surgery, you must remove your rings and this could be a problem. A friend recommended putting ALOT OF SOAP on your hands and sure enough it comes off.

Wow. This thread is crazy to me. I take mine off every night. When I first got engaged I tried to sleep with it once & had a nasty scratch on my face in the morning. I didn’t realize ppl never take their rings off at all for years.

I'm like you. I take mine off every night. I also don't usually wear them at the beach or anytime I am swimming.

My husband's ring got too tight (sadly, you don't lose weight in your hands), and that's how I know this.

You sure do lose weight in your hands. I've lost about 40 lbs and my rings are way looser than they used to be. When I get to my goal weight I will have to buy new wedding rings, because my rings are the smallest size they can be and can't be made any smaller.

Whenever I'm bloated or retaining a lot of water, my rings get too tight. After about a 5-7 days of eating well and drinking a lot of water, the water weight comes off and I can get my rings on and off easily. Might be worth a try, both to get your rings off and kickstart a diet.

I've also found that when my hands are cold, the rings come off more easily. Perhaps putting your hand in ice water and then trying will help. Good luck!

Just some thoughts....
1.Rings should never be tight enough to cause any discomfort.
2. It is easy to get them sized.
3. My rings come off every night, and in fact, whenever I am 'working' and don't need to have them on. I consider my rings to be 'fine jewelry' and not indestructable, or a part of my body. I never really got the whole 'should never take my rings off' thing. This is a message that I have for my Son's girfriend, perhaps future DIL, after she learned the hard way that the first promise ring my son bought for her was damaged and destroyed.
4. I would also never, ever, use Windex (or any strong cleaner) on my jewelry. If some Dawn isn't enough to help slide them off... Houston, we have a problem.
Windex does have ammonia. Ammonia is a solvent. I don't even use any window cleaner that has ammonia. I only use Glass Plus ammonia free. Works great for me!

Just some thoughts....
1.Rings should never be tight enough to cause any discomfort.
2. It is easy to get them sized.
3. My rings come off every night, and in fact, whenever I am 'working' and don't need to have them on. I consider my rings to be 'fine jewelry' and not indestructable, or a part of my body. I never really got the whole 'should never take my rings off' thing. This is a message that I have for my Son's girfriend, perhaps future DIL, after she learned the hard way that the first promise ring my son bought for her was damaged and destroyed.
4. I would also never, ever, use Windex (or any strong cleaner) on my jewelry. If some Dawn isn't enough to help slide them off... Houston, we have a problem.
Windex does have ammonia. Ammonia is a solvent. I don't even use any window cleaner that has ammonia. I only use Glass Plus ammonia free. Works great for me!
My jeweler and plenty of other jewelers recommend Windex as the first thing to try and people have been cleaning their jewelry with ammonia since the dawn of time. Prolonged use of ammonia can be a problem but a couple of squirts of Windex isn’t going to harm your quality jewelry.

Can you still remove it at this point or not?
If so I would and then take it to a jeweler and have it resized.
If not maybe walk into a jeweler now and ask it they can cut it off (my thought is they know how to be delicate with jewelry vs a doctor who will do a hack job) and then have it resized.
Yes adding gold to resize it is a bit expensive but hey then at least it fits properly again.
If you lose the weight you can have it resized smaller which is not nearly as expensive.

Wow. This thread is crazy to me. I take mine off every night. When I first got engaged I tried to sleep with it once & had a nasty scratch on my face in the morning. I didn’t realize ppl never take their rings off at all for years.
I take mine off every night, too. My jeweler recommended it.

The only time I've had my wedding ring off was during the time my broken wrist was cast. So I've had it on over 30 years. The engagement ring comes off periodically, like when I'm putting on hand lotion or prepping messy food.
Mine are soldered together, so they are one ring. If one comes off, they both come off. :)

My ring almost never comes off, it stays on 24/7. I can slip it off quite easily, in fact sometimes I fidget with it, but I always have it on. I'm just so used to it that I feel very odd on the rare occasion I take it off.

There are lot's of things that people have been doing for 'ages' that we now know are not best, or have better options.
Been using a little Dawn and an Ultra-Soft toothbrush on my engagement rings for decades, it looks like brand new.
If it is gentle enough for wildlife, my sensitive skin, etc... I figure it does the job.

I take mine off when in the kitchen kneading dough or working with ground meat (meatballs etc). I remove them , put them on a special dish away from the sink, Wash hands, prepare food, wash hands again, put rings back on.

Whenever I'm bloated or retaining a lot of water, my rings get too tight. After about a 5-7 days of eating well and drinking a lot of water, the water weight comes off and I can get my rings on and off easily. Might be worth a try, both to get your rings off and kickstart a diet.

I've also found that when my hands are cold, the rings come off more easily. Perhaps putting your hand in ice water and then trying will help. Good luck!

I was going to suggest something similar, if you do low-carb or Keto for a good week that ring will slide right off in cold water

I just got the ring off. I've lost 20 pounds, and I sprayed it with Windex. I previously tried the dental floss, but I don't think the technique was working for me. The weight was motivated both by my weight and a recent doctor visit where my blood pressure was too high. I won't be placed on medication without first adjusting my lifestyle to accomplish what the medication is designed to treat.

I just got the ring off. I've lost 20 pounds, and I sprayed it with Windex. I previously tried the dental floss, but I don't think the technique was working for me. The weight was motivated both by my weight and a recent doctor visit where my blood pressure was too high. I won't be placed on medication without first adjusting my lifestyle to accomplish what the medication is designed to treat.
Glad to hear you got it off but just fyi losing that much weight that fast usually means you wont keep it off.
It took me 2 years to lose 60 pounds but I've now kept it off for 10 months. Slow and steady wins the race.

Awesome news!!! Congrats on the ring off and the weight loss! :)

I am fascinated by this thread! I've never had a ring get stuck and I didn't know it was something that happens. I gained weight after I got married (as many people do), and I did notice that a groove formed on my ring finger where the rings sat, I guess because they got tighter or from my nervous habit of twisting and fidgeting with them, but I could always remove them myself. I had to take off my rings every few days to bake bread--do people really go years without taking off a wedding ring? I was married for 14 years and I only took my rings off for short amounts of time if I was baking or playing with play doh, but like I said that happened at least every 2-3 days. I would have freaked out if they got stuck!

I am fascinated by this thread! I've never had a ring get stuck and I didn't know it was something that happens. I gained weight after I got married (as many people do), and I did notice that a groove formed on my ring finger where the rings sat, I guess because they got tighter or from my nervous habit of twisting and fidgeting with them, but I could always remove them myself. I had to take off my rings every few days to bake bread--do people really go years without taking off a wedding ring? I was married for 14 years and I only took my rings off for short amounts of time if I was baking or playing with play doh, but like I said that happened at least every 2-3 days. I would have freaked out if they got stuck!

Yes I'd say the majority of people keep their rings on all day every day unless there is a reason to take them off like apparently you needed to with bread....

Yes I'd say the majority of people keep their rings on all day every day unless there is a reason to take them off like apparently you needed to with bread....
Mine are off as much as they are on when I'm at home, especially when cooking and doing "wet" chores. They get filthy-disgusting otherwise. :blush: I confess it's something I notice on other women - if their rings are all grungy and gross.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter