Removing Wedding Ring?

I haven't had my wedding ring off for over 10 years. I've gained weight, as most adults my age, and my wife is worried that it is too tight and I should get it removed. I think I can use it as inspiration to lose weight, but she isn't sold on the idea. It's gold, therefore fairly soft. Assuming she is right, and my will power has ceased, how would I got about having it removed? Jeweler? Doctor? Back alley?

Not sure how best to remove it, but you might want to talk with a jeweler first. No chance that you can remove it in soapy water? If not, it really is too tight!

We just recently had to resize our rings. We both went up 2 sizes. Our jeweler recommends spraying windex on the finger to remove a tight ring. If you been trying it several times that day let your finger sit for a bit. It does swell up the more you work with the ring.

I haven't had my wedding ring off for over 10 years. I've gained weight, as most adults my age, and my wife is worried that it is too tight and I should get it removed. I think I can use it as inspiration to lose weight, but she isn't sold on the idea. It's gold, therefore fairly soft. Assuming she is right, and my will power has ceased, how would I got about having it removed? Jeweler? Doctor? Back alley?
My husband just had to have his removed and resized. He went to a good jeweler (the mall ones didn’t have the right tools but the the place that makes custom pieces did). I think he paid like $100 to have to cut off, resized, and refinished.

I cut off my father's with diagonal cutting pliers after he asked me to help. It was literally cutting off his circulation. He said he was OK with it since he could have it repaired later. Still - I don't think he wears it any more or ever bothered to have it fixed.

I had to have my wedding ring cut off years ago when I was pregnant and very swollen. I went to a Jeweller who used an electric “saw”. He put something between my finger and the ring. It got a bit hot, but it was a relief to get it off. Luckily it was cut where there was no engraving and I had it repaired.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll start small, Windex and then work my way up depending on my success. Yes, I do need to lose weight.

I'd suggest a jeweler. There are ring cutter capabilities at most doctor's offices, usually, but they, basically just cut it off (as in mangled). The jeweler (at least ours) has a little ring cutter tool that doesn't damage the ring, well, except the actual cut.

My husband's ring got too tight (sadly, you don't lose weight in your hands), and that's how I know this.

He says the charge was only about $60 to enlarge the ring afterwards.

Years ago I broke my wrist and they (the doctor) were going to cut my ring off in order to cast my hand. I went home with a temporary cast and used lots of soap and water (cold water) and managed to get the ring off myself. After my wrist healed, I had the ring resized.

You can buy a covered elastic like this in the sewing section at WalMart or a craft store if you don't have something you could use at home

My husband's ring got too tight (sadly, you don't lose weight in your hands), and that's how I know this.

Actually you do, or I did anyway. Maybe it depends on how much you lose. I was 30 lbs overweight and lost it three years ago. My ring was snug then - could not have lost it accidentally, but since my weight loss have to be very careful lest I do lose it doing everyday activities, even though it won't just fall off. Have kept the weight off, and my hands have remained the same.

My husband had to have his removed at the hospital and they used some sort of lube and it came right off.

I'd suggest a jeweler. There are ring cutter capabilities at most doctor's offices, usually, but they, basically just cut it off (as in mangled). The jeweler (at least ours) has a little ring cutter tool that doesn't damage the ring, well, except the actual cut.

He says the charge was only about $60 to enlarge the ring afterwards.

Years ago I broke my wrist and they (the doctor) were going to cut my ring off in order to cast my hand. I went home with a temporary cast and used lots of soap and water (cold water) and managed to get the ring off myself. After my wrist healed, I had the ring resized.
I guess it depends on your body type but my sister and I both went down over two sizes in our rings and now have bony hands. I was wearing my anniversary rings as wedding rings when I was heavy and now they slide around even for the original middle finger ring fit. My wedding rings are way too big as well. I wear a smaller ring in front of them when I do wear them.

Anyway OP, I agree, try Windex first and if you feel it needs to be cut off go to a good jeweler. A doctor will ruin it. Don’t wait until your finger swells up and you’re in a “got to get it off NOW” situation.

Actually you do, or I did anyway. Maybe it depends on how much you lose. I was 30 lbs overweight and lost it three years ago. My ring was snug then - could not have lost it accidentally, but since my weight loss have to be very careful lest I do lose it doing everyday activities, even though it won't just fall off. Have kept the weight off, and my hands have remained the same.

I lost weight in my hands, too. I lost about 30 pounds. My ring went from uncomfortably snug, to being too loose. We got it resized, then I lost more weight and I lost it one day when we were out shopping. It just fell right off. :( I've never found it.

I guess it depends on your body type but my sister and I both went down over two sizes in our rings and now have bony hands. I was wearing my anniversary rings as wedding rings when I was heavy and now they slide around even for the original middle finger ring fit. My wedding rings are way too big as well. I wear a smaller ring in front of them when I do wear them.

Anyway OP, I agree, try Windex first and if you feel it needs to be cut off go to a good jeweler. A doctor will ruin it. Don’t wait until your finger swells up and you’re in a “got to get it off NOW” situation.
Typically (according to my jeweler) as we age, the knuckles of your hand get larger. But the fleshy part of the finger (between the knuckles) can get larger (this is the usual) causing rings to dig into flesh, or get smaller (not the usual but does happen) causing rings to slide around on the finger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter