Removing Glasses and Mugs Again?

I agree. I think I’m the only one who was rooting for paper. I won’t use them anyways. I’m not using mugs or glasses that haven’t gone through a dishwasher. Even when we just stayed in the 2 bedroom this month, I ran the silverware and mugs and glasses before I used them ( along with the silverware holder). It was quite a chore, but there’s no way I’m putting a fork in my mouth before I know it was properly cleaned. I never use them in the studios. We just use our refillable mugs and the wrapped plastic ware. Call me crazy but even the paper plates kind of gross me out not knowing how long they were in there or who’s hands were on them.
At our most recent DVC stays at BWV, the paper plates have been wrapped in sealed two-packs, so the concern about whose hands were on them is not a concern. We always bring our own stacks of plastic cups, use the wrapped plasticware, and buy new mugs which we wash with the supplied dish soap so we don’t use the glasses or cups in the studios.

I just don't see housekeeping carting off pots, pans, dishes, glasses, mixing bowels, to be washed somewhere else. It doesn't happen.

:earsboy: Bill

I for one have only been talking about glassware and mugs in studios as I felt others have been doing. They are not removing glassware and coffee mugs from the larger villas, just some studios again.

At our most recent DVC stays at BWV, the paper plates have been wrapped in sealed two-packs, so the concern about whose hands were on them is not a concern. We always bring our own stacks of plastic cups, use the wrapped plasticware, and buy new mugs which we wash with the supplied dish soap so we don’t use the glasses or cups in the studios.
We did get some wrapped bowls at POLY a couple weeks ago. Plates were still the singles. So hopefully they are switching over. My daughter as next door and said they had the wrapped plates. So even more proof that they leave them from the last guests. They leave them until they are used up and replacing with the new wrapped ones it appears. We will use them if wrapped.

But when I stay in a hotel room in other hotels, there are usually glasses in the room. The room does not have a dishwasher or a wet bar. I assume that when someone checks out and the housekeeping person cleans the room, the housekeeping person isn't responsible for washing the glasses herself. I assume there are clean glasses on the housekeeping cart.

That has been the process for at least 10 years now. Not sure about before that. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a time when hand washing glasses in the bar sink was considered an acceptable practice for housekeeping. Acceptable standards have changed significantly over the years.

So why is it a big deal for DVC studios to provide real glasses and mugs -- and why is it an excuse to say that they should provide paper because there is no dishwasher in the room for the housekeeper to use to wash the glasses and mugs?

That's why the test is being conducted. SSR is the WDW resort most impacted due to its size and spread out nature. The current standard for glassware dictates it must be professionally washed and/or sanitized, which cannot be done inside the Studio room. Housekeepers must swap out all of the glasses and mugs between guests, transporting the removed glassware to central dishwashing stations for proper cleaning.

There are over 400 Studios at SSR, so I imagine the costs associated with that process are noteworthy.

Members who feel strongly one way or another are encouraged to voice their opinions to DVC. The fact that it's only a test process which hasn't expanded to other resorts suggests the outcome is still undetermined.

That has been the process for at least 10 years now. Not sure about before that. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a time when hand washing glasses in the bar sink was considered an acceptable practice for housekeeping. Acceptable standards have changed significantly over the years.

That's why the test is being conducted. SSR is the WDW resort most impacted due to its size and spread out nature. The current standard for glassware dictates it must be professionally washed and/or sanitized, which cannot be done inside the Studio room. Housekeepers must swap out all of the glasses and mugs between guests, transporting the removed glassware to central dishwashing stations for proper cleaning.

There are over 400 Studios at SSR, so I imagine the costs associated with that process are noteworthy.

Members who feel strongly one way or another are encouraged to voice their opinions to DVC. The fact that it's only a test process which hasn't expanded to other resorts suggests the outcome is still undetermined.

So it's officially a test at SSR? Then it does mean it could be expanded. :sad2:

Just my opinion on this. All glassware can be sanitized when cleaning rooms between guests. I find it hard to believe there’s no industrial dish washer at these resorts. I don’t see why DVC cant provide both glass and paper so guests have the option.

Our family prefers not microwaving in paper cups for tea or drinking hot cofffe out of paper. We don’t like the paper and plastic plates and flatware that’s already in the studios to begin with. Disney can create the amazing pandora ride but they can’t figure out how to sanitize glassware from studios? Really? There’s gotta be a better answer than disposing more paper and plastic. Unfortunately not everyone recycles.

At Bwv right now. We have plates and bowls wrapped. We have ceramic mugs and glasses still.

I’m happy to hear this. I have a studio reserved at BW for my next two trips and I want ceramic mugs and glasses. A couple of wine classes wouldn’t hurt either.

Saratoga has a restaurant and Aulani is half hotel and half restaurant. There’s gotta be dishwashers.

I would like the dishes back. No paper and plastic, which over fill our planet. I will be calling housekeeping on my next trip to politely make my request.

We sleep in beds with no guarantee that pillowcases are actual sanitized, showers that may not be completely sanitized, sinks, counter tops, table tops, forks, knives, etc.

Before I use a glass or mug, no matter the accommodation, I thoroughly wash it and like everything else I come in contact with, I hope it’s clean enough to use.

I hope housekeeping, anywhere I ever stay, is thorough, whether it’s a Marriott or a DVC, Hilton, etc.

I do know Marriott’s have a more complete kitchen supply than I’ve ever seen in a Disney villa. Hopefully they don’t replace their steak knives with plastic anytime soon!

“Housekeepers must swap out all of the glasses and mugs between guests, transporting the removed glassware to central dishwashing stations for proper cleaning.

There are over 400 Studios at SSR, so I imagine the costs associated with that process are noteworthy. “

JMHO, if that’s what they gotta do then that’s what they gotta do. Our dues and the intake of millions a month, if not a day, can handle the associated cost of doing so, especially if this practice is now required.

We were just in poly studio a week ago. We had the paper items but also glasses and coffee mugs. I certainly prefer a little of both. I like a real mug for my coffee, but for a quick breakfast the clean up is much easier with paper plates.

If paper and plastic bother you so much, upgrade to a 1 BR.
Not everyone can or wants to do that. For instance there is the environmental impact.

I got a call back, DVC is collecting feedback to give to the POWERS that be. The fellow I talked to says he was not in MS years ago, and says perhaps what we understood as the resolution to the problem was only meant to be temporary and is now being revisited.

If you care, please let MS know.

I will be sending more input.

Bobbi

If paper and plastic bother you so much, upgrade to a 1 BR.

Really? Dues are the same no matter what accommodations we choose to stay in. Why should one accommodation have less quality than any other? I think, at least, both paper and glass should be offered, or don’t change it at all. I dont think glass and ceramics should be replaced.

Why should a member have to compromise they’re comfort or lose the amenities of what Disney states are Deluxe Studio accommodations? I have never paid for deluxe accommodations anywhere in the world and had to drink my morning coffee from a paper cup.

Just checked into SSR studio today. Not a glass or mug in sight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter