Reflections: A Disney Lakeside Lodge

I understand your math, but I thought Disney had already told shareholders that the total was 900 units and the DVC side would be only 150-200 units of those? (@crvetter) Why would they announce those numbers to shareholders if it wasn't their plan?
Directly from the 2018 annual report to the shareholders.
562C7FE7-B751-4666-8BBA-027A704494ED.jpeg
As you can see Reflections and Riviera were expected to bring on 550 rooms inclusive. So Riviera is 341 rooms leaving 209 at Reflections about. The plans likely wouldn’t have more than doubled (tripled) the room plans

Below they declare Reflections is mixed use with 900 rooms (hotel and DVC inclusive).
7052AFC2-8E76-4537-A0F0-F9B5526CC5E7.jpeg

View attachment 472263
As you can see Reflections and Riviera were expected to bring on 550 rooms inclusive. So Riviera is 341 rooms leaving 209 at Reflections about. The plans likely wouldn’t have more than doubled (tripled) the room plans

Below they declare Reflections is mixed use with 900 rooms (hotel and DVC inclusive).
View attachment 472265

Thanks for the clarification, @crvetter !

And are you getting your numbers from guessing by the concept art??

I wanted to add in that if Disney started to make larger villas that had 4-6 bedrooms, I would be all for that. Currently we rent an offsite house for our family with 6 bedrooms. One of my hesitations with jumping on the DVC bandwagon is that 3 bedrooms just isn't enough for us. Perhaps Disney wants to capitalize on the huge market of guests that currently rent offsite to get more space?

The numbers come from a combinations of the site/building layout and renderings. I did this for Kidani and BLT and was pretty close. Disney is actually quite easy since it is all built an studio sized modules, so you do not have to know the exact postitions.

I am a construction estimator so at this level it it quite straight forward.

I think the problem is that units that big would not be practical in terms of cost to fit in the DVC model. 3 bedrooms run can run more than 100 a night in points. I can only imagine what they’d have to set those at.
Yes that is why I figured they would be split, thuogh DVC has a few "super purchasers" that by a couple thousands of points at a time.

View attachment 472263

View attachment 472265

View attachment 472263

View attachment 472265
950 is more than 900 and if there were less dedicated studios at DLR then the number would be even closer. Also if I remember correctly RIviera as put out as approximatly 300 units so that plus DLR would also be very close to Disney's 550 at least by Disney's"appoximately history". Has anyone seen the final count at Riviera, know the first dedication was 69 rooms which was one full floor and 2 partial floors. 341 seams like ti should be close at this point and gives a good indication of the range of what approximatey means at Disney

Time will tell

Last edited:
I think the market for guests who need larger than a GV is not as huge as would be required to make it financially viable in a business model that assumes 365-day 100% occupancy.

I just realized that this is the first time since 1996 that Disney will be building and opening a "combined resort" since 1996 simultaneously

View attachment 472263

View attachment 472265
Are numbers being discussed (i.e. Riviera 341) apples to apples? Annual report says “unit counts in this document are presented in terms of two-bedroom equivalents.” Can’t say I even understand how that translates into number of studios, one bedrooms, etc. . .

a studio would be 1/3 of a 2br, 1 bedroom would be 2/3 and and a GV would count as 2
If anyone has the room type count for Riviera I have a spreadsheet to convert it

Last edited:
DLR appears to have about 300 2br DVC equivalents which would add up to the 900 with the 600 hotel rooms This would be over the approximately 550 total DVC 2br equivalents when combining the 2 resorts but that is certainly in what would be considered approximate on low side and not surprising given the design/layout changes since 2018, especially the change in the portico location

Last edited:
DLR appears to have about 300 2br DVC equivalents which would add up to the 900 with the 600 hotel rooms This would be over the approximately 550 total DVC 2br equivalents when combining the 2 resorts but that is certainly in what would be considered approximate on low side and not surprising given the design/layout changes since 2018, especially the change in the portico location
The annual report very specifically says that the 550 new units are slated for Walt Disney WORLD, and Riviera and Reflections. Disney Land Resort is not mentioned at all, so that 550 number can't be used for their new tower.

I think larger 4-6 bedroom units could be practical, if set up correctly to divide the unit into smaller units with lock outs. Basically turn the building into a quad with 4 kitchens. A two bedroom attached to a "special studio" akin to tower studio, will get you 3 bedrooms. Do that twice in one building and the ability to connect all would work quite well.
Sort of like the dolphin does with their end of hall suites. You have an entrance hall, with individual access that has an outer locked door allowing to be used in part or in hole.

I don't see DVC making anything larger than a 3 bd because the points needed would be too high. It seems that a lot of people who rent houses do so to save money and get the extra space.

I think larger 4-6 bedroom units could be practical, if set up correctly to divide the unit into smaller units with lock outs. Basically turn the building into a quad with 4 kitchens. A two bedroom attached to a "special studio" akin to tower studio, will get you 3 bedrooms. Do that twice in one building and the ability to connect all would work quite well.
Sort of like the dolphin does with their end of hall suites. You have an entrance hall, with individual access that has an outer locked door allowing to be used in part or in hole.

Some cruise lines do this as well. Allows for flexibility.

I don't see DVC making anything larger than a 3 bd because the points needed would be too high. It seems that a lot of people who rent houses do so to save money and get the extra space.
FWIW, our other points-based timeshare offered Studio - 3BR for decades ... then branched out into high end Penthouse offerings including a 4BR Penthouse. Yes, these are expensive point-wise. I wouldn't be too surprised if DVD, someday, did likewise claiming, "Industry standard."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter