Really disappointed in the transportation

The country's oldest and busiest subway system doesn't strand people in underground stations. It replaces trains with street-level buses when needed. I'm surprised New York doesn't do that.
I was mostly kidding, but there was a notable incident from a couple years ago where this actually happened.

Not to sidetrack the thread too much, but New York's subway is famously a disaster of American infrastructure these days, largely because of an unending feud between the city's mayor and the governor, both of whom blame the other for the problems. Even as new elected officials come through, it's the same old story. Anyway.

I was once a bus driver for Disney. I will say you learn quite a lot doing a job like that! It was probably the most stressful job I have had in my 10 years of working. A quick glance into the life of a WDW Bus Driver. OP wondered what the requirements were to drive a bus...actually quite simple. Have both arms and legs, be functioning, and pass the DOT test for certification for CDL Class B with P endorsement. There were 2 people in my training class that didn't pass, so not everyone can do it. Once you get out of training period, then it really gets crazy. You are now in charge of a 26,001 pound vehicle, with a max of about 60ish lives, not including your own, on a road, where there are people in rental cars, who have no idea where they are going. Have you ever seen someone cut across 2 lanes of traffic to make their exit on the highway? That has happened to me going to POP from MK, 45 mph, in the far right lane because we were only permitted the far right lane, or the 2nd lane from the right. That driver cut across then started to slow quickly...a very heavy bus, traveling 45 mph, has to try to slow down, without tossing 60ish people to the front windshield.

The drivers also have to keep an eye on the guests on the bus, I have had young teens use the hand rails as a jungle gym one day, was headed to MK. They refused to stop, I pulled of on world drive, called for a Manager, and the manager had a chat with them. They remained perfect the rest of the way.

Also have a few stories from working DS, taking highly intoxicated guests back to their resort...they don't like to sit still at all!

As for the long wait issue? Safety First, and always. What guests may not know is drivers are watched constantly. Not only are there cameras, there are managers doing audits on the roads, the black box on the dash (you have seen it) gives the driver their next dispatch, and is also the GPS, as it tracks the driver on a big map the dispatchers see.

All in all, just remember one thing. It isn't the drivers fault you waited 45 minutes, they get an assignment, wait for said bus to return to the park, do a changeover, and then start their route. Don't yell, scream or treat the drivers like dirt. They get plenty of that from management and upper management. Most actually love driving and being around all the guests.

I was once a bus driver for Disney. I will say you learn quite a lot doing a job like that! It was probably the most stressful job I have had in my 10 years of working. A quick glance into the life of a WDW Bus Driver. OP wondered what the requirements were to drive a bus...actually quite simple. Have both arms and legs, be functioning, and pass the DOT test for certification for CDL Class B with P endorsement. There were 2 people in my training class that didn't pass, so not everyone can do it. Once you get out of training period, then it really gets crazy. You are now in charge of a 26,001 pound vehicle, with a max of about 60ish lives, not including your own, on a road, where there are people in rental cars, who have no idea where they are going. Have you ever seen someone cut across 2 lanes of traffic to make their exit on the highway? That has happened to me going to POP from MK, 45 mph, in the far right lane because we were only permitted the far right lane, or the 2nd lane from the right. That driver cut across then started to slow quickly...a very heavy bus, traveling 45 mph, has to try to slow down, without tossing 60ish people to the front windshield.

The drivers also have to keep an eye on the guests on the bus, I have had young teens use the hand rails as a jungle gym one day, was headed to MK. They refused to stop, I pulled of on world drive, called for a Manager, and the manager had a chat with them. They remained perfect the rest of the way.

Also have a few stories from working DS, taking highly intoxicated guests back to their resort...they don't like to sit still at all!

As for the long wait issue? Safety First, and always. What guests may not know is drivers are watched constantly. Not only are there cameras, there are managers doing audits on the roads, the black box on the dash (you have seen it) gives the driver their next dispatch, and is also the GPS, as it tracks the driver on a big map the dispatchers see.

All in all, just remember one thing. It isn't the drivers fault you waited 45 minutes, they get an assignment, wait for said bus to return to the park, do a changeover, and then start their route. Don't yell, scream or treat the drivers like dirt. They get plenty of that from management and upper management. Most actually love driving and being around all the guests.
I've been at the front of the bus and have seen those crazy moves!!! Not enough money in the world to pay me to be a Disney bus driver!!! It's crazy.

Oh, please. I live near Boston. I've seen every stupid driver move.

Not while I was driving a bus, of course :)
Pretty sure we invented most of those moves!!!

Anyway. Are the buses the best thing since sliced bread? Nope. Do they move an incredible number of people safely around a huge area in a fairly timely manner? Yes. If you don't want to chance waiting for a bus, then either rent a car, or take Uber. I had a rental car the past two weeks. Just got home yesterday. I was at SSR as well as a condo home off-site. When I took the buses, I remembered how nice it was to just hop in my car and go. Then again, when I've been walking to the park entrance, from my parking spot, I truly missed being dropped off by the bus!!! Can't have it both ways I guess.

Buses every 20 minutes are so is nothing new. If anything bus service is, slightly, better. Years ago, when Disney had real slow seasons, buses routes included more resorts. All Stars shared buses much of the time. Today that's rare. I think we're not as patient as we were. Fast Pass reduces waiting at attractions. Mobile ordering reduces wait time for QS. ADRs replace waiting for a table. Disney even takes reservations for a ice cream shop.

I think it has a lot to do with all the things mentioned in the various posts. Traffic, break downs, staffing etc...

I know from personal experience that there are inherent issues with the allocation of buses and staff to various resorts and locations at various times during the day. We waited for over 1hr 15mins for a bus to pick us up from Epcot, eventually grabbing a cab. And we are talking one of the pick up stations with no shade or sun shelter. Everytime we spoke to a staff member they kept saying 'dispatch has sent one' and then 25mins or so later we would ask someone else and they said one just arrived and left... which it didn't. I guess like anything, they have to allocate the staff they have to the biggest demand. When this is not in your favor it feels less than Disney, but I guess if you are on the side with the majority it works in your favor.

While I think some people may have an skewed perspective on what public transport is really like, its unfair to suggest there are no issues and any issues that do arise are from the aforementioned misplaced perceptions. They are their own little city, and we all know that there are issues that arise from time to time.
I think its more about the unreliability of their scheduling and dispatch procedures, and the complexity of anticipating and adapting to variations in demand. Most Disney buses don't run on a fixed schedule. And also the philosophy of prioritizing cost containment over Guest service. There's room for improvement, but the non-management cast does try.

We have visited over 15 times in 40 + years so not a regular but an old timer for sure. The bus service has gone to crap. DME is still worth the money but I'm not sure what requirements they have to drive a bus. It's pretty bad. The schedules are off and you really need to allow a ton of time to get from A to B. We waited for over 30 minutes for 1 bus and were told the schedule was 15/18 minutes. There were times when things clicked but for the most part, it seems it has been going downhill in the last couple of years. I use to tell all my friends to stay on Disney property and take advantage of the great bus service but now I'm thinking it might be easier to stay outside the park and use Uber. We ended up Ubering about 4 times last week and that seemed to be the best way to get around. I love the Disney properties but unless they fix the bus issue, will seriously consider staying off property and using Uber.
So only one bus during your entire trip was over 30 min? The rest were under?
So your complaint is what really?
I'm really trying to understand

We have visited over 15 times in 40 + years so not a regular but an old timer for sure. The bus service has gone to crap. DME is still worth the money but I'm not sure what requirements they have to drive a bus. It's pretty bad. The schedules are off and you really need to allow a ton of time to get from A to B. We waited for over 30 minutes for 1 bus and were told the schedule was 15/18 minutes. There were times when things clicked but for the most part, it seems it has been going downhill in the last couple of years. I use to tell all my friends to stay on Disney property and take advantage of the great bus service but now I'm thinking it might be easier to stay outside the park and use Uber. We ended up Ubering about 4 times last week and that seemed to be the best way to get around. I love the Disney properties but unless they fix the bus issue, will seriously consider staying off property and using Uber.
That’s one of the reasons why we always stay at one of the monorail resorts. Even if the monorail is not working, you can easily walk from the Contemporary or take a boat from the Polynesian. We hardly use buses. On our July trip, I didn’t use a bus at all.

We recently returned from Disneyland. The best part of our trip was the short walk from our room at the Disneyland Hotel to Downtown Disney, the monorail which drops you off in Tomorrowland, and both parks. I always need a wheelchair in Disney World. I didn’t need a wheelchair at all in Disneyland.

Last edited:
Driving has been my fave since our first trip December 2010. I’ll take the buses etc if I’m drinking and don’t have a designated driver (like when it’s me and my cousin for Princess), or when I traveled with my BFF who is a city planner and looooves infrastructure stuff, etc. but I prefer to drive.

We waited for over 30 minutes for 1 bus and were told the schedule was 15/18 minutes.

The issue is that I’ve only known them to say that *A* bus comes every x minutes. Not *your* bus.

So if you’re waiting for a DHS bus and one just left, you could easily wait 20 minutes and see a MK bus, another 20 to see Epcot, another 20 for Disney springs, and then finally a DHS bus. And your...80? minute wait would be within the bounds of what I’ve seen officially stated.

Disney leaves nobody stranded, unlike transportation systems with a fixed schedule.

Hmm. :)

The specifics are lost to almost 9 years. And the link to my first Orlando trip is off my signature.

But way back in December 2010 during our first trip, my then-husband and still-aunt waited hours to get from DHS back to OKW. One couple came up after them. The couple had tons of time (by official Disney standards) to get to their Olivia’s adr when they got in line.

By the time an SSR bus/driver came by a third time and took pity on them and finally took them all to OKW without dispatch approval, they had not only missed their adr but the restaurant was closed.

And this wasn’t even at DHS closing, but a little earlier when everyone started snarking (group of 8, first group trip, different families, difficulty communicating) and we all decided to go. Aunt wanted to be alone. Then-husband went with her. The rest of us took the minivan. (And to this day I had NO idea why we didn’t go back for them. None of us even thought of it.)

When the monorail isn't operating, it's replaced by buses.

The country's oldest and busiest subway system doesn't strand people in underground stations. It replaces trains with street-level buses when needed. I'm surprised New York doesn't do that.

But you’re forgetting the people on monorails and subways when the systems go down. THAT is the issue.

How dare she?!

Right? Did she even TELL us she was going? Why didn’t we take advantage of the mod-free Wild West time???

So only one bus during your entire trip was over 30 min? The rest were under?
So your complaint is what really?

Exactly. Sometimes it depends on what resort your are at and the time of day. I can think of maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years where I have had to wait more than 20-25 min for a bus. If I want immediate pickup I use Lyft or Uber.

I don't think it's gone down hill, but I think it's always been rather spotty. My first onsite experience with the buses was in 2010 and I was less than impressed, but I've had good, great, and not so great experiences since then at all resort levels. The long waits have happened but they are pretty rare. Unfortunately, I swear it's always the one time we cut it short and have to be at the parks for a reservation or a FP that's about to end. What I don't get is how they manage the buses in a way that I'll see 2-4 buses for every single other park and Disney Springs on those days where I sit for 30-40 minutes for one bus to the park I'm going to. So it doesn't seem to be a shortage of buses overall.

I will say that we stayed offsite last month for the first time in over a decade and I found the drive in and out to be very convenient. With the prices of the resorts having gone up so much, and now charging to park the car at the resort, the bus service as it stands isn't much of a draw to stay on site anymore.

That’s one of the reasons why we always stay at one of the monorail resorts. Even if the monorail is not working, you can easily walk from the Contemporary or take a boat from the Polynesian. We hardly use buses. On our July trip, I didn’t use a bus at all.

We recently returned from Disneyland. The best part of our trip was the short walk from our room at the Disneyland Hotel to Downtown Disney, the monorail which drops you off in Tomorrowland, and both parks. I always need a wheelchair in Disney World. I didn’t need a wheelchair at all in Disneyland.

Similar reason for staying at an EPCOT resort, walk or boat to EPCOT and DHS

What I don't get is how they manage the buses in a way that I'll see 2-4 buses for every single other park and Disney Springs on those days where I sit for 30-40 minutes for one bus to the park I'm going to.

The buses don't just drive back and forth between two points. A bus might go* SSR>DS>AKL>Epcot>CSR>MK>Pop... if a bus or two get off schedule, absolutely you could get, say, two or three MK-bound buses at CSR together.

*completely theoretical, as I have absolutely no idea how WDW buses are dispatched

The bus system has definitely declined in recent years. On our last trip (June 2018), it took nearly a full hour to get from Point A to Point B (Wilderness Lodge to EPCOT) and we missed one of our FastPass windows. The buses are rarely reliable and you often end up waiting much longer than expected for transportation. Hopefully the Skyliner will fix some of these issues when it opens later this year. :confused3

I think there has been some issue with keeping with demand as airfare has dropped and more and more guests fly down and in turn rely on the buses to get around combined with an overall increase in numbers visiting. They haven't done well keeping up, more users without more buses will increase wait times. Still, we ride the buses a lot and I know we never had trips were ALL waits are long nor do we have trips were ALL waits are short. They really avg out but the ones that stick in your memory and leave the lasting impressions are never those short waits or the times you walk up and get in a bus and are the only ones on the ride right to the park. Nope. You only remember the wait where you see 3 buses come for every other park but yours and you have to get on and stand. Those are the ones you remember. But really, they are few and far between. And if you are honest with yourself, fewer than the ones that go off like clockwork where you wait 5, 10 min and sit the entire way.

We stopped using Disney transportation back in 2007 due to several incidents. Been driving a car everywhere in WDW ever since. Get me in a good Bus vs Driving thread and I will sing the praises of driving every time! That being said I still find it remarkable that Disney offers Bus service all around their property. I understand it works out well for them too because it gets people into the parks spending money but come on, it's a darn good perk. Lots of people don't like driving in strange cities or can't drive at night or can't afford the expense of a rental or whatever. It's nice to know you have accommodations even if they aren't always as reliable as they may have once been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter