Really disappointed in the transportation

Tuckster

Earning My Ears
We have visited over 15 times in 40 + years so not a regular but an old timer for sure. The bus service has gone to crap. DME is still worth the money but I'm not sure what requirements they have to drive a bus. It's pretty bad. The schedules are off and you really need to allow a ton of time to get from A to B. We waited for over 30 minutes for 1 bus and were told the schedule was 15/18 minutes. There were times when things clicked but for the most part, it seems it has been going downhill in the last couple of years. I use to tell all my friends to stay on Disney property and take advantage of the great bus service but now I'm thinking it might be easier to stay outside the park and use Uber. We ended up Ubering about 4 times last week and that seemed to be the best way to get around. I love the Disney properties but unless they fix the bus issue, will seriously consider staying off property and using Uber.

I haven't been impressed with the bus service for years. We tend to go as a larger group so for most trips we stay off-site and rent a car. I more than make up for the parking fees by much less expensive lodging (we rent a private pool home) and making some simple meals. The only time we now stay on-site is if there are just two of us going and just adding a couple of days onto cruise.

Haven't had those problems in recent trips. Buses are generally consistent at 15 to 20 minutes. Yep, sometimes they run late. But then I don't know what it was like 30 to 40 years ago - only been going for the last 15 years.

The schedules are off
There are no schedules, per se - unlike, say, the Hotel Plaza Boulevard hotels where the buses operate on an actual, published schedule. There are intended intervals, which can be affected by a variety of issues.
We waited for over 30 minutes for 1 bus and were told the schedule was 15/18 minutes.
Again, no actual schedule. That would be something like "bus times 6:30, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:20, 8:40, 9:00...It's entirely possible a bus departed a minute before you got to the bus stop. Looking at it from that perspective, the buses are typically fine, it's the guests whose timing is off.

I love the Disney properties but unless they fix the bus issue, will seriously consider staying off property and using Uber.
There is nothing to fix. It is equivalent to public transportation. Buses run late. Could be traffic, could be a breakdown, could be shift change, could be an accident. I remember waiting for a bus at the Paddocks section of SSR once, where you can see the road. There had to be ten buses stopped because of an accident at Disney Springs. Some things are just beyond control.

Transportation has always been iffy since we've been going especially with transportation to/from DHS. I don't know why but the Poly/Contemporary transportation especially at the end of the night has just been the worst. I'll see a line of buses for Caribbean Beach, Pop, and the list goes on, and we just stand there and wait while those buses sit idle and wait for the bus in front to pull away usually 75% empty before pulling up and waiting for the next few people.

I gave up on WDW transportation years ago. We use Uber/Lyft/Minnie Vans almost exclusively. The only exception is if we are nearing a bus stop and a bus is coming.

I just back from Disney Pop Century Resort 9-night stay and I had a wonderful Disney Magical Experience and I used the buses for all of the parks. Looking at the TV monitor at the Disney Pop Century Resort the times seemed right on for me and this is just my personal experience.

Of course, opening and closing were busy and I expected that.

I also expect to wait for multiple buses since I use a wheelchair and the Disney buses only load two wheelchairs for each bus. Some times I see rows behind me board because I have to wait for the next bus, but that is okay with me because I am on vacation and I always plan a lot of time from room to my destination.

I am not discounting other folks experiences, but this was just my small experience as a solo wheelchair user.

Walt Disney World is my favorite accessible destination. They even have DME lifts for my wheelchair and all of their monorail, bus, large friendship boats, trains are accessible. I never use the small boat with the steps at the MK resorts.

I hope everyone experiences get better next time.

I have to tell you when I visit Pop again in December, I am very excited about using the gondola cabins at the Pop Skyliner station. I saw the second row at the stations where gondolas can electronically be pulled off the main line for the wheelchair, ECV, and stroller use.

The gondolas should relieve some of the traffic within the Walt Disney World road system in my opinion.

I always read these kinds of posts but we were just there Mid April and never had a problem with the busses. Seemed every time we went to the bus stop the bus was there in 2 minutes, we couldn't believe our luck. The only time we had any kind of a wait was when we stayed at DHS till closing and then we had to wait for a couple of busses to come and go before we could finally fit on one. I guess it's hit or miss.

Returned home last Saturday from a 5-night stay at Pop. I've been going to WDW for 24 years and considered the bus ride as part of the experience but this time I thought the buses were the worst I've ever experienced. The drivers were wonderful but the wait times were terrible. I waited through 3 buses to get to AK and ended up grabbing an AOA bus to get back to my resort. Another day I waited almost 45 minutes for a bus to return from HS.
Since I had family staying at the BC I started taking the bus with them and then catching a 5-minute Lyft ride to my resort. Much less stress and aggravation.

Looking forward to the Gondolas for future trips.

I wonder if the people who find Disney Busses terrible have ever used offsite transportation? Yes I know that Disney Busses sometimes take too long or there is no seat left, but compared to what offsite offers Disney transportation is superior in every way. Of course having your own car or Uber is going to beat any bus.

Disney transportation is generally awful. But it's free and it's convenient. Everything in Walt Disney World comes down to one simple proposition: time versus money. You are making that trade with nearly every decision you make during your vacation.

Want to see fireworks from a prime spot? Your choices are wait on Main Street for a long time or pay for a dessert party.
Want a transfer from the airport? Your choices are spend a long time on a Magical Express or pay for an Uber to take you to your hotel directly.
Want to see all the popular attractions? Your choices are stand in long lines throughout the day or pay for a special after-hours event.

I'm simplifying things here, but generally speaking, that's the bargain we make every day of a trip. It absolutely applies to transportation. Disney's transportation is slow and unreliable, but all other options, like a rental car or Uber, costs money. For most of us, it's a matter of which inconveniences we're willing to tolerate and which we're willing to pay to avoid.

Last edited:
We've been going to WDW since the 70's and have never had bad bus service in the parks or resorts. There was one evening after closing at HS which I knew would be longer to get back to the resort. I think we should expect bus service to be slower, longer at the end of the day and plan for it.
POR was our home resort for years and we never experienced long waits. We had to stand at times, but that's it.
I just figure we have to plan for a longer wait time to the parks just to cover ourselves with reservations, etc, but rarely needed it.
Maybe we were lucky.
The buses are a big part of our trip because we don't want to drive, or use uber while in the parks.

Disney's transportation is slow is unreliable
Well, I don't know. I guess slow to the degree that (just like any other public transit system) riders need to wait for the vehicle to arrive - although often, how long one waits is dependent on when they, not the bus, arrive at the bus stop.

But unreliable to me means you don't know if it's coming. Disney leaves nobody stranded, unlike transportation systems with a fixed schedule.

Disney transportation is generally awful. But it's free and it's convenient. Everything in Walt Disney World comes down to one simple proposition: time versus money. You are making that trade with nearly every decision you make during your vacation.

Want to see fireworks from a prime spot? Your choices are wait on Main Street for a long time or pay for a dessert party.
Want a transfer from the airport? Your choices are spend a long time on a Magical Express or pay for an Uber to take you to your hotel directly.
Want to see all the popular attractions? Your choices are stand in long lines throughout the day or pay for a special after-hours event.

I'm simplifying things here, but generally speaking, that's the bargain we make every day of a trip. It absolutely applies to transportation. Disney's transportation is slow is unreliable, but all other options, like a rental car or Uber, costs money. For most of us, it's a matter of which inconveniences we're willing to tolerate and which we're willing to pay to avoid.

I agree with most of the center of your post. I don't agree that Disney transportation is awful. I think it is pretty great. Sure I have run in to the odd time where a bus took a long time to show, but for the most part they come fairly quickly.

There are also more transportation options than the ones you give. Honestly it sounds as if you are over Disney World and maybe need to take a bit of a break.

There are also more transportation options than the ones you give. Honestly it sounds as if you are over Disney World and maybe need to take a bit of a break.
I have to deal with the New York City subway system every day, so I know what it’s like to deal with unreliable public transportation. I’ll give Disney credit for at least not leaving people stranded underground with no air conditioning on a hot summer day!

But seriously, we still cherish every moment we have in the parks. We just tend to drive our own car to them!

I’ll give Disney credit for at least not leaving people stranded underground with no air conditioning on a hot summer day!
The country's oldest and busiest subway system doesn't strand people in underground stations. It replaces trains with street-level buses when needed. I'm surprised New York doesn't do that.

I think it has a lot to do with all the things mentioned in the various posts. Traffic, break downs, staffing etc...

I know from personal experience that there are inherent issues with the allocation of buses and staff to various resorts and locations at various times during the day. We waited for over 1hr 15mins for a bus to pick us up from Epcot, eventually grabbing a cab. And we are talking one of the pick up stations with no shade or sun shelter. Everytime we spoke to a staff member they kept saying 'dispatch has sent one' and then 25mins or so later we would ask someone else and they said one just arrived and left... which it didn't. I guess like anything, they have to allocate the staff they have to the biggest demand. When this is not in your favor it feels less than Disney, but I guess if you are on the side with the majority it works in your favor.

While I think some people may have an skewed perspective on what public transport is really like, its unfair to suggest there are no issues and any issues that do arise are from the aforementioned misplaced perceptions. They are their own little city, and we all know that there are issues that arise from time to time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter