Reality Check - Am I Crazy??

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
I'm a beginner runner - but want to sign up for the Goofy Challenge January 2017. Am I crazy and being unrealistic in my expectations and what I can accomplish in 6 months of training. Thanks for honest comments.

I ran my first marathon with less than 6 months of training. I was 40-50 lbs over-weight and had become sedentary because of life changes (family/career). Goofy is harder than just the marathon, but not tremendously so. It probably depends on your age and physical condition going in.

I went from 10K to 5K and half to now am signed up for Dopey. I think if you train right you won't have a problem. It's not easy but definitely not out of the question.

Trust the training and take it slow. Nobody should set to PR at Goofy, the goal should always be just to finish. Outside of that you should be fine with in 6 months.

I would say it's aggressive as a new runner, but six months is definitely a good amount of time to train; however, there are many things that should factor into your decision...

- Are you good about keeping to a training schedule without missing days? If you are one that will likely miss runs due to various issues (vacation, sickness, family obligations, lack of motivation, life in general, etc), then I would take your running ramp-up a little slower. Maybe train for a 5k for 10 weeks or so, then run a 5k, then onto a 10k training plan with a goal race, then a half marathon training plan and race, and finally a marathon training plan and race. This will likely put you more on schedule for Goofy in 2018, but it gives you more time to see if you like running and how your body responds to longer distances. It will also greatly lower your probability for injury during training.

- Your age and health. If you are younger and generally fit, I would be less worried about injury and the ramp-up. How is your overall health? You may want to check with your doctor and see what (s)he says about your planned running ramp-up. Although you are a beginning runner, have you been doing other aerobic activities that put you in good or at least decent shape? For example, if you've been cycling or swimming (or some other aerobic fitness activity) for quite a while and already have a good aerobic capacity, then Goofy 2017 is probably fine. However, if you are just beginning to run in order to get into shape and/or lose weight and running will be your first aerobic fitness exercise (or first in a long time), you may want to take it slower.

- How does your body react to increased physical stress? Historically, has your body performed well when adding physical stress? Give yourself an honest assessment of this. All bodies are different, so if you have reacted well to increased physical stress, then again, Goofy 2017 is probably a good goal; otherwise, there is no harm in taking it a little slower and going for Goofy 2018.

Whatever your decision, I would suggest finding a good training program. Most of your runs should be at an easy pace (meaning roughly 60-90 seconds per mile slower than your goal marathon pace). A lot of beginning runners tend to overdo training initially (i.e. run too fast and/or too far), so please find a training plan with a nice easy ramp-up and stick to the prescribed paces. I would say that most folks here use either Galloway, Higdon, or Hansons plans, so those are probably safe places to start.

I think it depends on where you are starting from and how serious you will be able to take the training. I am a big believer that anyone can finish these races if they train seriously. To a certain degree finishing the Goofy, or any of these races, is a will over skill activity.

That said, I would not have been in good shape if I had chosen to run the Goofy as my first race coming from the state of fitness I was in at the time I decided to run my first race (hopefully that makes sense). I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have finished, even being generous to myself and assuming I would have trained harder/differently. This is a pretty personal decision from that perspective and you should be honest with yourself about whether you will be able to put in the time. Also, these races are tremendous accomplishments and are an amazing thing to strive for, but they are also meant to be fun and enjoyable. I would target whatever distance you think will be the most fun. Good luck coming to a decision.

I would recommend working out a plan before committing (paying). There are numerous resources available on the internet. Myself, I followed the Disney/Galloway plan.

I ended up making two changes:
- I increased the distance/duration of the weekly runs because I found the Tuesday and Thursday runs didn't prepare me for the longer weekend runs
- I just did one long at 20 miles (I can't remember but I think he plans for one 20 mile run and then a 26 mile run three weeks after that)

That second modification was more a result of dealing with an injury and running out of time before my first marathon. I've also read other opinions arguing to not exceed 20 mile training. Everybody is different but now, 10 marathons later, if I get one or two 20 mile training runs in I'm feeling I'm in a good place for the actual event.

Keep in mind this is a long-term commitment. You'll be running 3-4 times a week rain/heat/snow/wind and losing most of your Sunday as we get closer to Marathon weekend.

I find those long 17,18, or 20 mile runs to be full-day affairs (packing your gels, drinks, dry clothes, towels, etc. then driving to and from the course for those not lucky enough to have a possible 20 mile route start at their driveway).

So, plan your training and then determine if you're willing to put in the time and effort. No lie - it's a burden. It's work. It's very, very tough....but it all pales in comparison to that feeling of crossing the finish line - especially at Disneyworld!

I'm a beginner runner - but want to sign up for the Goofy Challenge January 2017. Am I crazy and being unrealistic in my expectations and what I can accomplish in 6 months of training. Thanks for honest comments.

FIRST OFF, I am not a runner, but will give you my take.....

I walked my first 5K at Marathon Weekend 2010, 1st half marathon at Space Coast 2010 then Marathon Weekend 2011 walked the 5K, walked the 1/2 marathon and walked the full marathon in 4:56:48 as a 62yo with strapped up knees. If I tried to run my knees would have given out in a half mile. Depending on your physical development, your endurance capabilities and the pace you wish to maintain....a 6 minute/mile pace running is MUCH harder than an 8 minute/mile pace so you must train accordingly and when done properly your desire to run a GOOFY CHALLENGE is not CRAZY at all. Just prepare yourself for the extreme effort involved with back to back longer events. What often happens with a new-not so young runner is in an attempt to accomplish too much too quickly an injury happens that affects training and that puts the new runner behind schedule resulting in more stress and a possible re-injury when trying to catch up then another injury and etc....etc....etc.

Decide on a realistic goal, train accordingly, do not go harder than a training schedule calls for, trust your training and ENJOY!!!!

If you have a family, make sure they understand what you're going to undertake. Not the challenge, but the training. They are going to have to deal with you going out for the sometimes-long runs.

And speaking of that, for safety, get something like a Road ID (website is easy to find), as identification for you. Phones fall and break, IDs fall out of the pocket. A Road ID wristband stays on you and speaks for you if you cannot. Mine has my name, year of birth, allergies, hubby's name and phone number, and a silly quote.

I'd echo what others have said - you certainly have time to be prepared for a Goofy challenge even though you haven't run before. A solid training plan that you can commit to is essential. You have to be sure to commit to the plan and follow it faithfully. As long as you do that, there's no reason you can't be prepared by January.

• Definitely don't undertake the challenge without a good training plan that you can stick to. RunDisney has one supported by the Jeff Galloway run/walk/run method on their website - you can view it here: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/run...neyworld-marathon/2016_WDW_Galloway_Goofy.pdf
  • Someone mentioned it above, but I just want to reiterate - make SURE your family/close friends understand what you're getting yourself into. You'll need them during the training, not only for encouragement, but for understanding. Your final weeks of training for Marathon Weekend fall over the winter holidays. My mom was not real thrilled that I had a sim weekend the week of Christmas, but she understood and I was able to change my schedule accordingly to accommodate the training.
  • Training for these challenges isn't just limited to putting in the mileage - you'll need to also train for fueling/hydration, day-to-day diet during the challenge weekend, what to wear in various conditions that promote comfort, how to survive rapid changes in weather conditions, etc.
  • If you also plan to spend time in the parks, you'll need to make sure that your endurance doesn't suffer between the races and tacking on extra miles enjoying the parks.
  • Not only is race registration a significant financial undertaking (these challenges ain't cheap!), but you've got to prepare yourself for the ancillary costs associated with a RunCation - flights, hotels, food, etc., etc., etc.
Also, I would make sure that during your training plan that you schedule a few races (at least one 10K and one half marathon) to give you some real race-day experience. It will go a long way to calming nerves come challenge weekend.

Speaking of training plans - how do you decide? I've printed the Disney Galloway, looked at the Higdon (sp) and have just came across Jenny Hadfield " Marathon for Mortals". Yes, on cost, I've been pricing that out and realizing quickly this "goal" isn't cheap, but my family is totally supportive. More thoughts?

I ran Dopey this year and used a modified Higdon plan. I'm using his Dopey plan again, but it's greatly modified because my goal is time improvement at Disneyland and finishing the Chicago Marathon in a specific time. I'll still put in the ramp-up miles, but won't worry so much about the back-to-backs.

Honestly, pick a marathon training program that works best for your schedule (not a Goofy-specific one), one that you can SEE yourself following closely and go from there. Any marathon training program worth its salt will have enough weekly mileage to prepare you for Goofy. Then about six weeks out, make sure you throw in a simulation weekend or two just to make sure your body can adapt and recover over the course of the race weekend.

Personally, I prefer the Higdon plans. The emphasis is on building mileage and finishing races injury-free.

FIRST OFF, I am not a runner, but will give you my take.....

I walked my first 5K at Marathon Weekend 2010, 1st half marathon at Space Coast 2010 then Marathon Weekend 2011 walked the 5K, walked the 1/2 marathon and walked the full marathon in 4:56:48 as a 62yo with strapped up knees. If I tried to run my knees would have given out in a half mile. Depending on your physical development, your endurance capabilities and the pace you wish to maintain....a 6 minute/mile pace running is MUCH harder than an 8 minute/mile pace so you must train accordingly and when done properly your desire to run a GOOFY CHALLENGE is not CRAZY at all. Just prepare yourself for the extreme effort involved with back to back longer events. What often happens with a new-not so young runner is in an attempt to accomplish too much too quickly an injury happens that affects training and that puts the new runner behind schedule resulting in more stress and a possible re-injury when trying to catch up then another injury and etc....etc....etc.

Decide on a realistic goal, train accordingly, do not go harder than a training schedule calls for, trust your training and ENJOY!!!!
A lot of great advice in this thread about all of the aspects that you need to consider, but this post hits on the most critical since you are a beginner. Go slow and easy. Pace is not important - mileage is. Your pace will improve as your mileage improves, even if you don't try to run faster. It just happens. The goal should be to finish, not to run "fast". You can work on getting faster for future marathons as you gain experience.

#1 - build your base. Try to get up to 20-25 miles/week at least a few weeks before the training plans begin (say, 20 weeks before the race).
#2 - slow pace, slow heart rate as you build your base - NO SPEED WORK WHILE BUILDING YOUR BASE!
#3 - have fun - find places to run that will enhance your running experience and take your mind off of the mechanics of running.
#4 - every few months, buy something new to wear or use in your running. You'd be surprised how much this can reinvigorate your commitment.
#5 - You are stronger than you think. Trust the training plans and relax. If you commit, you will have success.

We've always followed Galloway training, but as said above look at several programs and pick the one that fits your schedule the best. Any of the plans can be effective in getting you to a finish. Some plans are better than others are for reaching various other goals, but if you are just looking to complete your first races than honestly any of those mentioned will do that job. Most importantly, the best plan is always the plan that works best for you and that you will follow.

I do not think you are being unrealistic. But I do think a big piece of this it's going to be what are your intentions? My first races were the half and full as part of Goofy. I did have some level of a base already set as I had been running for awhile. But I will tell you there was a big difference between running a few days a week and then following a Goofy training plan. I would encourage you to think about the following:

1) Do you have the time to commit to a training plan and do you want to?
2) What are your goals for the races, what do you want to get out of the experience?

If you do have the time and can commit to following a training plan I think that you can be ready to complete the races. I would encourage you to think about and set reachable goals; i.e. finishing the challenge feeling good. Use this as an opportunity to expereince the races, parks and not get to caught up in setting time goals, etc. You can do this with six months prep time. Wish you lots of luck!

My first marathon was the 1st Dopey Challenge :). I had started my training around march or april because I was planning on running The Columbus Marathon.. I switched to the 1/2. I had run another 1/2 before that. I finished the Dopey challenge 'ok'. It wasnt fast, but I did it. My training suffered towards the end some, but other then losing form the last few miles and my the bottom of my feet killing me for a few hours after, I was fine. (no blisters, just lost focus and was beating my feet to death). So it is doable for sure. I would get started NOW on some cardio / exercise.. I am doing the Galloway training again, and I think it starts the end of this month for the 'official' training.

It's definitely possible and if you can commit to the training it's not unrealistic or crazy at all. I always thought Goofy was one of the last races to sell out (I may be wrong so if someone could check) and sadly the rD website no longer has the graphs that show you how close it is to selling out but you may be to wait a few weeks and see how the initial commitment to training goes (because while you won't be running the longest distances yet, you will be running in the heat which I think is even more of a challenge) before putting down your money and even if it sells out there may be travel providers or charities that you could register with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter