Reality Check - Am I Crazy??

My goal is to run a marathon when I'm 50 - which is shortly before the January run weekend. The idea of the Goofy just seemed like a really cool accomplishment - and since the trip itself is so expensive - wanted to make the most of it.

I was so wiped out mentally and physically after my first 1/2 that I had to force myself to walk around Disneyland instead of staying in bed all day both day of the race and day after. If not for experienced runners telling me to make sure that I actually toured the park or did some walking after the race, I probably would have not moved all day. The thought of running a 5K the next day was insane to me. On that day, I truly believed that I might never run another race again in my life. I had finished one 1/2, earned that medal, and I was fine with that.

Now, after a few months, I decided that running wasn't so bad after all and went for the Coast to Coast in 2012. I've since run both Rebel Challenge events and am signed up for the 3rd, and am also eyeing the Kessel Run next year.

However, my main point is that I think you should know exactly how your body will react to what you're putting it through. Given the cost of the trip, you also need to evaluate if you want to spend at least 2 days of your trip in runner mode. When I'm racing, I tour the parks differently. If I'm running the Rebel Challenge, I go to bed very early on Friday night. My park time on Saturday is extremely light and I'm starting to wrap it up around 5:00pm. I always have to skip late night entertainment such as World of Color, fireworks, parades, etc. because the race is the priority. And after running the 1/2, I get into the parks between 11:00am and noon so lines are already long. I also spend a lot of time resting between standing in line. And I can barely stay past the fireworks. I'm just too tired after 2 consecutive early days with lots of running. And neither of those races is a full. Be prepared for even one race to change how you tour the parks.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and jump in with both feet. Just make sure you're as prepared as you can be for race weekend itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter