• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reading, seeing and hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree JW, I think we could have quite the intellectual discussion revolving around 1984.

In his classic novel, 1984, George Orwell described a totalitarian society in which the government, referred to as the Party, had almost total control over the people. The supreme ruler of the Party was Big Brother. Posters announced that "Big Brother is Watching You". Telescreens droned endlessly with brainwashing propaganda about wondrous government programs. Coins, stamps, books, films, and banners proclaimed the three slogans of the Party: War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.

I have read some wicked good ones too......The Relic and Cabinet of Curiosities by lincoln Child and Douglas Preston...
Now these are not like stephen kings books but really bizarre.....

Holy crap....quit screwing with the title, you're making my head hurt :rotfl2:

Cantw8 said:
Holy crap....quit screwing with the title, you're making my head hurt :rotfl2:

This was an impulse title. I am refining it to encourage interesting posts from interesting people! :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

:yay: so see tooty, it is working! thanks so much for stopping by!

pumba said:
I have read some wicked good ones too......The Relic and Cabinet of Curiosities by lincoln Child and Douglas Preston...
Now these are not like stephen kings books but really bizarre.....

hay pumba! how was your trip? I will check these out. I actually am a Stephen King, fan. But I am thinking you might remember that.... :teeth:

1000thhappyhaunt said:
But I just read... Pat the Bunny.

Again.

To my youngest son.

Unfortunately... STILL a favourite.

Cheers, Mel.

I loved pat the bunny. I love that one still! :teeth: the softie stuff is the best!

tevagirl said:
I just read "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoit. It was very, very good.

I agree!!!! This is a FANTASTIC book. It is very thought provoking. I couldn't put it down. The author's last name is actually spelled Picoult. Her website is www.jodipicoult.com.

horsegirl said:
hay pumba! how was your trip? I will check these out. I actually am a Stephen King, fan. But I am thinking you might remember that.... :teeth:

Are you watching "Desperation"? I forgot about it and missed the first hour.:furious:

"As an artist, he recognized, Andersen might know, or at least fathom the possibility, that each book he had written, each scene described or character created, had become an aspect of him, had entered into his driven spirit and lay there much as the years themselves had done."

The Master, by Colm Toibin ... it just rocked my socks off. But, I'm bookish.
Stephanie Plum rocks, too. :)

Horsey-
Not to be overlooked is Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. I love that futuristic stuff, and about how frightening the world can become if we let it.

But my daughter's current favorite is Dora the Explorer Show Me Your Smile (or something like that) because she went to the dentist for the first time today. Getting so grown up. Sigh.

Not necessarily literary greats, but I was in Barnes and Noble the other day with the kids and saw a table full of childhood favorites that I can't wait to read with the kids.

Anything by Roald Dahl:
James and the Giant Peach
Charlie and Chocolate factory.
Great Glass Elevator.
The BFG.
Witches.
Boy

Some others I loved as a kid:
The Mouse and the Motorcycle
All the Chronicles of Narnia (The series)
Series of Unfortunate Events (which I read b/c of the movie)
Tom Sawyer
The Phantom Tollbooth

kpk89 said:
hay Horsey,

I enjoy Philippa Gregory's books -- historical fiction based on the Tudor and Elizabethan England. My fave was The Other Boleyn Girl . They're all sorta similar in tone and style, so I liked that one best of the 3 I've read.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Kite Runner
Easter Island by Jennifer vanderBes

Yeah, Horsey, what kpk said. These are all excellent! I loved The Other Boleyn Girl and Phillippa Gregory's books! What do they say about great minds??

DS12 has loved any Roald Dahl, Harry Potter, CS Lewis, and especially Cornelia Funke (Inkheart, Inkspell, The Thief Lord).

Some of my other favorites are The Physician by Noah Gordon (kpk--you'd love it) and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

One of the most interesting books I ever read was called Devil in the White City. It's the story of Chicago getting ready for the World's Fair intertwined with supposedly the first serial killer. Somone recommended it to me and it looked really boring but I couldnt put it down. :thumbsup2

I also like all the Janet Evanovich books.....very funny books. :thumbsup2

firstmickey said:
One of the most interesting books I ever read was called Devil in the White City. It's the story of Chicago getting ready for the World's Fair intertwined with supposedly the first serial killer. Somone recommended it to me and it looked really boring but I couldnt put it down. :thumbsup2

I knew you would :thumbsup2

firstmickey said:

It is funny that that title came up in your mind whilst thinking of me.... :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: thanks for visiting Donna!!!!! You rock. :teeth:

Horsey, you have to check out the Janet Evanovich books. She is hysterical.

Love all the Harry Potter, books of course, and Phillippa Gregory! I loved, loved The Other Boleyn Girl.

Also love Marian Keyes and Meg Cabot (her grown up books, haven't read the teen ones). And Alexander McCall Smith - The #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. Oh, and perhaps my FAVORITE woman author - Lorna Landvik. She rocks.

Robert Parker, especially the Spenser series, is fab. No one writes dialogue like him. Love James Patterson, particularly the Alex Cross ones, used to love Patricia Cornwell, but she's gotten too depressing.

Oh, I could go on and on... :banana:

Ok my all time favorite books over the years:

The Wicked Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House - By Mary Chase
Love, love, love that one even if it is a children's book, my kids do too.

The Sherwood Ring - Elizabeth Marie Pope
Love, love, love, this one too and so does my oldest son.

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (need I say more, it's a classic)
Who can forget Sydney Carton, Charles Darnay, Mmse Manette, and the vision of the tumbrils of the revolution?

I Heard The Owl Call My Name - Margaret Craven
There is something very charming about this if you stay with it.

Can I Get There By Candlelight? - Jean Slaughter Doty

AshClan said:
Robert Parker, especially the Spenser series, is fab. No one writes dialogue like him. Love James Patterson, particularly the Alex Cross ones, used to love Patricia Cornwell, but she's gotten too depressing.

Oh, I could go on and on... :banana:

I liked Cornwell too but her books started becoming more about Kay and less about the crimes she was solving.

An excellent read is

"Savage Beauty"

It is a Biography of Edna StVincent Maloy (did I spell that right). I don't normally love Biographys but that one was wonderful.

Older but good read (disturbing though) is the "A Boy Called It" series. Very well written, also biographical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter