Question about scooter rental and possible theft/loss of scooter

I called Buena Vista Scooters yesterday to ask more questions as they were the company I originally wanted to rent from but then saw that they didn't insure for theft which scared me because of my experience with someone taking my scooter at DL. They told me that in the last two years they have only seen the scooter taken about 5 times. Most of the occurances are mix ups where someone takes the wrong scooter and if they swap the scooter back with the other company that your not charged because they received it back. I guess I'm just afraid due to my personal experience. I know that Apple insures but I read some good reviews and some how the battery doesn't stay charged or the scooter is in poor quality which I dealt with last time with Walker rental. I guess I just have to make a decision and stick to it and hope for the best. I'm leaning toward Buena Vista but I have lots of time to think about this.

Buena Vista said that in the last 2 years, they have only had 5 scooters get mixed up? Think about how many scooter rentals they have had probably had in the last two years... THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS!!!

Let's say that BV has 300 scooters, (based and (allowing for repairs, cancellations, etc.) that on any given day, 275 of them are out as rentals. There are 365 days in the year. 275 x 365 = 100,375 "rental units" per year - or 200,750 for the two year period they discussed with you. During that time, they had only 5 incidents - which means that for every 40,150 rentals, they had a problem. Your chances, then, that there will be a repeat of the DL issue are approximately 1 in 40,000. I would take those odds if you are (overall) more comfortable with BV!

Buena Vista said that in the last 2 years, they have only had 5 scooters get mixed up? Think about how many scooter rentals they have had probably had in the last two years... THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS!!!

Let's say that BV has 300 scooters, (based and (allowing for repairs, cancellations, etc.) that on any given day, 275 of them are out as rentals. There are 365 days in the year. 275 x 365 = 100,375 "rental units" per year - or 200,750 for the two year period they discussed with you. During that time, they had only 5 incidents - which means that for every 40,150 rentals, they had a problem. Your chances, then, that there will be a repeat of the DL issue are approximately 1 in 40,000. I would take those odds if you are (overall) more comfortable with BV!
I get it! I didn't have to run the numbers to get the specs on this one. It completely makes sense. I'm most likely going to rent from them. I have to get over my personal feelings of the lost scooter that's all its about fear ya know? I mean I haven't read any reviews on BV having bad scooters but I have about Apple. Thanks for your input, its appreciated.

...The issue I've seen with lost scooters though has been when they are returned to bell services - as in the rental company comes to pick up your returned scooter and says it wasn't there. This actually happened to me last year, but the company must have found it fairly quickly since they didn't return my follow-up calls. Make sure when you return the scooter to bell services to sign their book and I also now take a photo of me returning it (and the CM accepting it if the CM is ok with having their pic taken lol).
Great idea to take a photo of you leaving the scooter at the return area, preferably with a CM: last year I returned my Alamo rental car at Dolphin. Its a small operation there: a Dolphin employee (valet person) gives you a little paper receipt. Well he must not have entered it into the computer correctly, because I got charged $400 extra for returning it the next day to MCO (I did neither; took weeks to get resolved and had to dispute the charge to Amex). I did have the paper little receipt - but seems so easy to forge to me so not great evidence for a $25k car! - so from now on I'm taking photos of the car parked at the return spot with employees in the photo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter