Question about scooter rental and possible theft/loss of scooter

GenGen22

DIS Veteran
I have a question. I rented a scooter while at DL and when I was on a ride and had my scooter parked and I had the key with me someone took my scooter and their's was left behind. Both scooters were the same model and I found out that the keys are universal at this point because when my scooter was not parked in the place where I left it I found one of a similar model parked near by so not realizing it wasn't mine that was taken and this one was left behind. Obviously I called my scooter company and the other people's scooter company and I wasn't charged for the scooter loss because the company I rented from had an insurance plan. I did return the scooter to the correct company and gave my rental company the other scooter company's info. They were never able to reach the other renter to the scooter because they left their home number and their name was not on the hotel reservation where the scooter was delivered. The DL company I rented from told me that this happens all the time and they eventually get all of their scooters back and for me not to worry about it.

Anyhow, my question is that I was looking into Buena Vista scooter rentals as I didn't like the one I rented from Walker Mobility the last time I went to WDW. So, when looking on Buena Vista's website it shows that they have an insurance plan but it does not include theft. It states to keep your key with you to avoid this. But what if someone with a key to a different scooter takes off on my scooter? Has anyone experienced this before? I don't want to be stuck with a scooter bill if I leave it to go onto a ride and come back and someone has taken off on my scooter and not their own scooter. I am a little worried about renting from a company that doesn't cover the possibility of a loss especially when this has actually happened to me before. If anyone has any experiences to share with me or advice, I would appreciate it!

I believe it's only happened (to other folks around here) once or twice.

Can it happen? Yes. Can you prevent it? YES

This is why we recommend taking along a brightly colored bandana, or a length of colored or patterned grosgrain ribbon. Tie the ribbon or bandana on the ECV; it will help "mark" it and it will also help visually cue other Guests that it is NOT their scooter!

If you want to be double-extra certain, decorate that rental scooter like it's your first bike (remember streamers, bike bells and white wicker baskets? LOL)

Dont' use anything you don't mind losing/leaving behind (bandanas cost $1 each at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby, and both have grosgrain (ribbed) ribbon for less than $5/spool as well)

I'm so sorry you had that experience at DL - but at either WDW or DL, just personalize your rental a little bit, and it will help it stand out in a sea of identical rental units!

It's been brought up here a few times lately, but I don't think any of the insurance offered by scooter companies covers a lost scooter - only damage. The issue I've seen with lost scooters though has been when they are returned to bell services - as in the rental company comes to pick up your returned scooter and says it wasn't there. This actually happened to me last year, but the company must have found it fairly quickly since they didn't return my follow-up calls. Make sure when you return the scooter to bell services to sign their book and I also now take a photo of me returning it (and the CM accepting it if the CM is ok with having their pic taken lol).

I've not seen anyone mention that the scooter keys are "universal" so that's an interesting twist. I wonder how likely that is for companies that rent at WDW? Would seem to me that if companies aren't using unique keys for each scooter then it's really their fault if someone drives off with it!

@Selket Most scooter keys are "somewhat" universal - if you search for "scooter parts keys" on Google, you will find many places that sell replacement keys for scooters - just make sure you buy the right manufacturer and model!

That's why it doesn't bother me that my personal mobility device doesn't have a key. I disconnect the battery, and with a quick movement can hide the connection from the casual observer. Unless you know what to look for, it appears to the average person that the scooter is completely functional, but it won't run again until I "fix" it.

@Selket Most scooter keys are "somewhat" universal - if you search for "scooter parts keys" on Google, you will find many places that sell replacement keys for scooters - just make sure you buy the right manufacturer and model!

That's why it doesn't bother me that my personal mobility device doesn't have a key. I disconnect the battery, and with a quick movement can hide the connection from the casual observer. Unless you know what to look for, it appears to the average person that the scooter is completely functional, but it won't run again until I "fix" it.
Can you disconnect the batter on the ones you rent? If so, how do I do that? This is a great idea!

I believe it's only happened (to other folks around here) once or twice.

Can it happen? Yes. Can you prevent it? YES

This is why we recommend taking along a brightly colored bandana, or a length of colored or patterned grosgrain ribbon. Tie the ribbon or bandana on the ECV; it will help "mark" it and it will also help visually cue other Guests that it is NOT their scooter!

If you want to be double-extra certain, decorate that rental scooter like it's your first bike (remember streamers, bike bells and white wicker baskets? LOL)

Dont' use anything you don't mind losing/leaving behind (bandanas cost $1 each at Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby, and both have grosgrain (ribbed) ribbon for less than $5/spool as well)

I'm so sorry you had that experience at DL - but at either WDW or DL, just personalize your rental a little bit, and it will help it stand out in a sea of identical rental units!
I did add some stuff to the scooter after my incident to ensure this doesn't happen again. But I can't guarantee it won't happen again.

It's been brought up here a few times lately, but I don't think any of the insurance offered by scooter companies covers a lost scooter - only damage. The issue I've seen with lost scooters though has been when they are returned to bell services - as in the rental company comes to pick up your returned scooter and says it wasn't there. This actually happened to me last year, but the company must have found it fairly quickly since they didn't return my follow-up calls. Make sure when you return the scooter to bell services to sign their book and I also now take a photo of me returning it (and the CM accepting it if the CM is ok with having their pic taken lol).

I've not seen anyone mention that the scooter keys are "universal" so that's an interesting twist. I wonder how likely that is for companies that rent at WDW? Would seem to me that if companies aren't using unique keys for each scooter then it's really their fault if someone drives off with it!
I will definitely take pictures and sign the book, thank you for this tip! Yeah I was quite shocked because I felt safe getting on a ride since I had the key. You think they would have proper insurance as these things happen. I'm telling you I was very upset calling each day of my trip hoping they would contact the other person who had my scooter but they couldn't reach them. They weren't a registered guest at the hotel where their scooter was dropped off and the phone number they left was for their home phone and no one was home. It was pretty stressful. I did feel better that it was insured but still wouldn't want this to happen to anyone.

Can you disconnect the batter on the ones you rent? If so, how do I do that? This is a great idea!

It's been so long since I rented a scooter, I am not the right person to ask that question! :)

My little scooter does not have any plastic bodywork, so it's kind of like a wheelchair, in that you can see the framework - and the battery. I just swivel on the seat, reach down, unclip the connection and tuck the connector away out of sight.

Taking the key is still important, but I think you will be fine with adding decorations to personalize your scooter. I personally have never heard of any deliberate theft of a scooter at WDW; usually it's just an honest mix-up/mistake.

Happened to me in November, 2017. However, the person who took my scooter had the same company of scooter as mine and returned it to the site of the incident. Took about two hours out of our touring time, but all resolved. Was not a happy camper because the scooters have NUMBERS on them and you just have to check the number as yours before you take the scooter!!!!

For a long time I was a catv lineman and drove a fleet truck. At least once a month some Yahoo would confuse my truck for his on the lot and break his key off in my door lock (this particular style of key was fragile and linemen (other than me) tend to be brutish).

To nip this in the bud, I got a popsicle stick about the right size, whittled it to fit, and painted it bright red. When I locked up my truck, I finished by sticking the red "key" in the doorlock and leaving it there.

A small piece of decorative duck tape would serve the same purpose on a parked ecv. Even if someone plops down on your scooter thinking it's there's and has a key that would fit, they'll know they didn't cover the keyhole with tape.

To deal with possible theft, my friends just leave a cellphone in the bottom of the basket. There's an app that if you txt the phone it will reply with it's GPS location. It's handy if the Disney cast has to move the chair to another parking area. My friend Aisling's chair has an android cellphone built into the controls and we can lock the chair up remotely if someone tries to steal it. I think we could do far worse if we wanted to but I can't imagine anyone getting her chair out of the park before we see it's missing.

For a long time I was a catv lineman and drove a fleet truck. At least once a month some Yahoo would confuse my truck for his on the lot and break his key off in my door lock (this particular style of key was fragile and linemen (other than me) tend to be brutish).

To nip this in the bud, I got a popsicle stick about the right size, whittled it to fit, and painted it bright red. When I locked up my truck, I finished by sticking the red "key" in the doorlock and leaving it there.

A small piece of decorative duck tape would serve the same purpose on a parked ecv. Even if someone plops down on your scooter thinking it's there's and has a key that would fit, they'll know they didn't cover the keyhole with tape.

To deal with possible theft, my friends just leave a cellphone in the bottom of the basket. There's an app that if you txt the phone it will reply with it's GPS location. It's handy if the Disney cast has to move the chair to another parking area. My friend Aisling's chair has an android cellphone built into the controls and we can lock the chair up remotely if someone tries to steal it. I think we could do far worse if we wanted to but I can't imagine anyone getting her chair out of the park before we see it's missing.
Well at DL they took my scooter out of the park and the scooter company couldn't reach them the duration of the trip. I didn't have anything of value in my basket but the left a hat and soda. Literally our two scooters were the same scooter but with different companies. I think ill just decorate it as you previously suggested it. The duct tape is also a good idea. This is still stressful if it gets taken. Ill cross my fingers, I guess.

Well at DL they took my scooter out of the park and the scooter company couldn't reach them the duration of the trip.

Right, eventually. It's unlikely they had your scooter outside of the park at the point you discovered the error. Depending on what timemof day, you may have passed your ecv on the sidewalk several times throughout the park. If nothing else, getting a cheap prepaid smartphone to leave in the basket or ziptie to the back of the seat or whatever would give you the possibility of phoning your scooter and letting them know they have made a mistake. Though getting a status update showing exactly where it is would be my preference.

Also, it's a good idea to keep a copy of your rental agreement on your person. In the event you and another guest both think a scooter is theirs, you will have a piece of paper to prove it. Sort of like finding someone in your seat at the theater.

Great ideas - personally, I would use a piece of blue painters tape (never travel without it - that stuff is SO handy, and doesn't leave residue or damage most surfaces) over the ignition; fold a bit of the tape back on itself to make a "tab" for grasping.

The cost of a "Tile" (by Tile) as a GPS tracking device nowadays may be about the same as an inexpensive cell phone, and the Tile will be easy to clip someplace on the scooter without being too obvious. Tile also uses GPS tracking, if you are really super concerned about theft.

Great ideas - personally, I would use a piece of blue painters tape (never travel without it - that stuff is SO handy, and doesn't leave residue or damage most surfaces) over the ignition; fold a bit of the tape back on itself to make a "tab" for grasping.

The cost of a "Tile" (by Tile) as a GPS tracking device nowadays may be about the same as an inexpensive cell phone, and the Tile will be easy to clip someplace on the scooter without being too obvious. Tile also uses GPS tracking, if you are really super concerned about theft.
I like this idea of getting tile as its trackable. I think I'm going to do this. Thanks everyone for your response, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Apple scooters says it does, but only if you book online.

This is a great idea, not just because of theft, but also because sometimes CMs have to move scooters and occasionally no one quite knows where it was moved to.

"Tile" (by Tile) as a GPS tracking device
The problem with Tile is that it doesn't actually have a GPS tracker in it. It connects with you phone via bluetooth and an app on your phone uses your phones GPS to log the tile's location.

Generally in open air this means that you will be able to connect with and locate a tile tagged item as long as you are in bluetooth range, about 50 ft.

A net10 prepaid smartphone will cost you $10.00, can be set to use the WDW wifi, and can be made to tell you exactly where it is at any given moment.

Now, to be clear, I wouldn't be that worried about a theft beyond the easily avoidable cart identity mixup.

The problem with Tile is that it doesn't actually have a GPS tracker in it. It connects with you phone via bluetooth and an app on your phone uses your phones GPS to log the tile's location.

Generally in open air this means that you will be able to connect with and locate a tile tagged item as long as you are in bluetooth range, about 50 ft.

A net10 prepaid smartphone will cost you $10.00, can be set to use the WDW wifi, and can be made to tell you exactly where it is at any given moment.

Now, to be clear, I wouldn't be that worried about a theft beyond the easily avoidable cart identity mixup.

I was thinking about the new version - the "Pro" version now has extended tracking to approx twice what it was, and Tile's app uses a "crowdsourcing" feature to help find lost items when they are beyond range.

The primary reason to use a device like Tile over a cellphone is simply that I can see someone grabbing a cellphone and walking away with it, where a Tile might not attract the same kind of attention.

I called Buena Vista Scooters yesterday to ask more questions as they were the company I originally wanted to rent from but then saw that they didn't insure for theft which scared me because of my experience with someone taking my scooter at DL. They told me that in the last two years they have only seen the scooter taken about 5 times. Most of the occurances are mix ups where someone takes the wrong scooter and if they swap the scooter back with the other company that your not charged because they received it back. I guess I'm just afraid due to my personal experience. I know that Apple insures but I read some good reviews and some how the battery doesn't stay charged or the scooter is in poor quality which I dealt with last time with Walker rental. I guess I just have to make a decision and stick to it and hope for the best. I'm leaning toward Buena Vista but I have lots of time to think about this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter