PTR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family does DLR *(new October 9th)*

This is the day that we will have access to the Magical Mornings from staying at a Good Neighbor hotel, and we plan to take advantage of this by hitting up Fantasyland and trying to knock out what rides we can that don't employ Fastpass.

Assuming everyone else goes straight to Peter Pan we might save that for a bit later, see how lines are/how we are doing, and instead try to knock out some of the other dark rides. During the morning though hopefull we will do:
- Peter Pan (either first or wait)
- Nemo Subs (if didn't ride the previous day)
- Mad Tea Party
- Storybook Canal Boats
- Casey Jr
- Mr. Toad's
- It's a Small World
- Roger Rabbit
- Matterhorn (if didn't ride the previous day)
- Pinoccio
- Alice in Wonderland

Question: One thing I am less certain of how to plan is for Character Meets. Is there any way to know who will be out and about where and when or is it all random?

TTFN
Just wanted to clarify in case other readers get confused, the MM is associated with your park ticket. It is not a benefit of staying at a Good Neighbor Hotel. Now, EMH,on the other hand, IS associated with staying at a Disney hotel.
The Early Admission super thread has a nice listing of what attractions are typically open during MM. http://www.disboards.com/threads/early-admission-mm-emh-apee-super-thread.1675403/

Just remember that in Fantasyland, there are NO Fastpass rides (so you're planning on hitting them all?). In the first post of the super thread, they also mentioned which rides would be recommended first. Nemo is a slow loader, so you may want to do that one at the very last bit of MM (just before park opening). Since Space and Star Tours both have FP, you may want to focus on FL first. The Storybook Land Canal boats aren't open during MM.

Agree with missangelalexis to use the app to figure out where & when the characters are.

Sounds like such a great day!!

You know I love characters, and it was certainly a different experience at DL vs WDW. Use the app! For the most part it is very helpful, especially with the times. Of course there will always be times where a character isn't listed but you may spot them out and about. Some of the characters will meet somewhere and have a line form (VIPs in Town Square, princesses, Tink's Nook, etc.) and some will be roaming around, take some pics, and then keep roaming (Noticed this with a few- Alice, Queen of Hearts, Mary & Bert). I'd be happy to help with any other questions you might have!

Thanks Alexis! By "app" do you mean the official Disneyland one or are there any others you recommend. I am pretty excited about some of the characters that seem unique to DLR and not at WDW (or at least not very often). Saw on Facebook yesterday of a M&G with a Steamboat Willie Mickey in Toontown which seems really neat!

Just wanted to clarify in case other readers get confused, the MM is associated with your park ticket. It is not a benefit of staying at a Good Neighbor Hotel. Now, EMH,on the other hand, IS associated with staying at a Disney hotel.
The Early Admission super thread has a nice listing of what attractions are typically open during MM. http://www.disboards.com/threads/early-admission-mm-emh-apee-super-thread.1675403/

Just remember that in Fantasyland, there are NO Fastpass rides (so you're planning on hitting them all?). In the first post of the super thread, they also mentioned which rides would be recommended first. Nemo is a slow loader, so you may want to do that one at the very last bit of MM (just before park opening). Since Space and Star Tours both have FP, you may want to focus on FL first. The Storybook Land Canal boats aren't open during MM.

Agree with missangelalexis to use the app to figure out where & when the characters are.

Thank you so much for your information and chiming in :worship:

I definitely got confused about the tickets vs packages offered with the GNH - I've gone back and updated my post to avoid any confusion

Definitely understood no FP rides in Fantasyland and was just thinking of perhaps rides in other areas as well (also went back to try and clarify that point in my update) .... and also know can't hit all during that extra hour, just trying to hit what we can during that first hour and then probably stay in that area after that as well ad Fantasyland is the focus of the morning. That was exactly my thought for Nemo that if we want to do that to try at do that last during the MM hour and then probably see what the line for Canal Boats is like as soon as that opens

Is there an app you like best? or just use the official Disneyland one?

Thanks Alexis! By "app" do you mean the official Disneyland one or are there any others you recommend. I am pretty excited about some of the characters that seem unique to DLR and not at WDW (or at least not very often). Saw on Facebook yesterday of a M&G with a Steamboat Willie Mickey in Toontown which seems really neat!

Yes I mean the official one, it definitely seemed pretty accurate!

For the Mickey M&G in Toontown, I believe you can get 1 of 3 different outfits so it's all by chance. When we went in he was dressed as a Bandleader. The other 2 are Steamboat and Sorcerer. I hope you get the Steamboat one, that's the one I was hoping for too!

Is there an app you like best? or just use the official Disneyland one?
The official one is new-haven't had a chance to check it out yet, though heard the times were accurate. I also have Mousewait and Lines on my phone. Mousewait includes wait times for food too (such as the Dole Whip line).

I know that some people use Ask Otto to find out times. I haven't tried it.

My first full park day of our vacation is tomorrow, so I think I'll be comparing all 3 apps. Not sure if I'll be calling Ask Otto. The weather has be hot & relatively humid (for So Cal) & I've heard it's been like this all summer long. It's very weird (DH & I both grew up in So Cal). Certainly is more humid than the Bay Area right now. Yet more reason to get up early for RD, and do a midday pool break. :)

Do you know why there are no overlays at WDW Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain?

I'm not the OP, but I'll take a stab at this question. WDW predominantly caters to tourists for it's park (also "once in a lifetime" travelers), while DL caters to locals for it's park. Someone once told me visitors at WDW were 70% Tourists and 30% locals, while it's the opposed for DL. The percentages may be off, but the general idea stays the same. So DL does things like the overlays at Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain to get the locals in the park. While at WDW, they know people are coming regardless of if they do anything special with their rides.

Hope that helps. :)

Sounds like a good start to the day. Those Mickey beignets are looking really good right now, yum! I'm really interested to see how all your plans translate to real life so I can plan out our (potential) trip accordingly. :goodvibes

Do you know why there are no overlays at WDW Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain?

I'm not the OP, but I'll take a stab at this question. WDW predominantly caters to tourists for it's park (also "once in a lifetime" travelers), while DL caters to locals for it's park. Someone once told me visitors at WDW were 70% Tourists and 30% locals, while it's the opposed for DL. The percentages may be off, but the general idea stays the same. So DL does things like the overlays at Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain to get the locals in the park. While at WDW, they know people are coming regardless of if they do anything special with their rides.

Hope that helps. :)

I don't know for sure but I suspect what Volunteer says is at least part of the story. I think some of it is keeping certain things unique to each park and also I know that at MK in WDW the holiday decorations are largely just in the Main St. area while at DLR they are throughout the park (though, they have been doing the Jingle Cruise the last few years)

I don't believe there are any technological reasons why they couldn't do the overlay

Yes I mean the official one, it definitely seemed pretty accurate!

For the Mickey M&G in Toontown, I believe you can get 1 of 3 different outfits so it's all by chance. When we went in he was dressed as a Bandleader. The other 2 are Steamboat and Sorcerer. I hope you get the Steamboat one, that's the one I was hoping for too!

Thanks! At this point I have probably downloaded too many options, but will try them out and see what seems to be best. Bandleader would be fun but I definitely would hope to get Steamboat Willie Mickey. Do you know how long each is out for (i.e., if we get one can we come back in 1/2 hour for chance at another) and / or if they will tell you out front which version is meeting?

The official one is new-haven't had a chance to check it out yet, though heard the times were accurate. I also have Mousewait and Lines on my phone. Mousewait includes wait times for food too (such as the Dole Whip line).

I know that some people use Ask Otto to find out times. I haven't tried it.

My first full park day of our vacation is tomorrow, so I think I'll be comparing all 3 apps. Not sure if I'll be calling Ask Otto. The weather has be hot & relatively humid (for So Cal) & I've heard it's been like this all summer long. It's very weird (DH & I both grew up in So Cal). Certainly is more humid than the Bay Area right now. Yet more reason to get up early for RD, and do a midday pool break. :)

Thanks! I've downloaded Mousewait and Lines to add to the others I already had (including the official one). Definitely am interested to see what you find as far as the accuracy of all three.

Love the mid-day pool break when it is humid out - especially when the park hours are quite long

Thanks! At this point I have probably downloaded too many options, but will try them out and see what seems to be best. Bandleader would be fun but I definitely would hope to get Steamboat Willie Mickey. Do you know how long each is out for (i.e., if we get one can we come back in 1/2 hour for chance at another) and / or if they will tell you out front which version is meeting?

I don't know how long each is out for, I think it's completely random. I'm not sure it's even guaranteed that all 3 meet on a given day. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask a cast member though if they can tell you who is meeting at the time!

Sounds like a good start to the day. Those Mickey beignets are looking really good right now, yum! I'm really interested to see how all your plans translate to real life so I can plan out our (potential) trip accordingly. :goodvibes

Thanks - definitely not a bad thing when we don't have detailed plans but an option is to have beignets for breakfast ;)

I too am interested to see how this works out in real life :rotfl2: Hopefully there will be some good "dos" for you, but I am sure also some "do nots"

I don't know how long each is out for, I think it's completely random. I'm not sure it's even guaranteed that all 3 meet on a given day. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask a cast member though if they can tell you who is meeting at the time!

Thanks for the additional information! I am sure any of them will be good, just Steamboat Willie seems more unique and I love when they have him driving the boat at the end of Fantasmic at DHS

Part 23 - One Month From Today: October 16th - Disneyland and DCA - including WOC!

We are really getting close as we fly out 1 week from Saturday! :hyper:

So yeah, this really doesn't even sortof qualify as a "one month from today" post, but it is what it is.

Before I get into the details for the day I'd thought I mentioned that after downloading the "Lines" app I decided to sign up for a month at Touring Plans and have been playing around a bit with plans on that. I don't expect we will fully follow them - but hopefully it will help provide guidance as to what order to do the rides in and at the very least minimize the "what do you want to do?" "I don't know, what do you wanna do?"
tumblr_mqz8doset51s56q19o1_500.gif

Also, details are starting to get in place for a couple of DISmeets, so hope they work out :jumping1:

So on to the details for the day, which is already our last day in the Disneyland Parks :earseek:

The plan for the morning is to go to Disneyland Park and hit up anything we hadn't already done and/or want to do again. As a reminder, the plan is to cover:
- Day 1 morning: Tomorrowland (and also thinking hit up Toontown and anything else we pass that has short lines)
- Day 2 morning: Fantasyland
- Day 2 Afternoon: Adventurland, Frontierland, New Orleans, Critter Country

Hopefully we had done the train before - but I think we might start out with that today ... I am really hoping to be able to ride in the tender car as Peter would flip, but we shall see - I think it might be Adult only (some reports I read have said that)

Either way I think we will ride the train again. Assuming we aren't on the Tender Car we will get off at Toon Town and go see Mickey and the Magical Map show if we haven't seen it yet.

Also, if we hadn't been able to ride Radiator Springs Racers (or if we really want to get on again) we will likely send someone (Judi) over to get FP for this.

I suspect we will also want to spend some time on Main St., do some character meets, get in some more photopass pictures, etc.

Around noonish we will head over to DCA as we have a lunch ADR at Ariel's Grotto scheduled for 12:40.

I think Olivia and Emma will like this and fun to do at least one "Princess" thing and I thought the lunch menu looked pretty good. Like all character meals I will go in assuming it isn't worth the cost, but should still be fun.

The rest of the afternoon is to be spent at DCA

Depending on what we did in Cars Land before will dictate how much a priority that area is for us - but I am sure we will want to stop by to take it in again and maybe meet the Cars or different Cars. I know we will have to meet Big Red at some point

Beyond that, other areas to look at for this afternoon include.
- Bug's Life Area if time
- Redwood Creek Challenge Area
- Grizzly River Run
- Hollywood Land area:
- Disney Jr
- Sorcerer's Workshop
- Monster's Inc
- Aladdin Show
- Frozen stuff

A lot will depend on what we got done the afternoon of day one.

We then have a 5:30 ADR at Carthay Circle with WOC package. This is one of the meals I am most looking forward to, so I hope we enjoy it and the kids are doing ok and not a bunch of cranky pants at this point in the trip. I figure if they really need to we could do a break after lunch.

Also, I really want to try the Diamond Celebration Dessert Truffles:
tumblr_np06psqYqt1tg0j1no1_500.jpg

For the evening, the main thing to accomplish is seeing WOC so definitely plan to be in line a hour ahead of time at least. Hoping I can just stay there (at least at first) and Judi can take the kids off to do things, even if just walk around.

Question: There are two showings of WOC this night (9pm and 10:15pm), it isn't clear to me what showing ours will be for, though I suspect the first given that we are eating a bit on the early side. I've been trying to call Disneyland dining but just getting a busy signal

beyond this, taking in Cars Land at night again, especially if didn't get to spend enough time there evening of Day 1.

Plan is to stay at DCA as long as we can (if we do have a mid-day break, they are open until midnight) and then head back to the hotel for our last night

TTFN

1 week! So exciting! :jumping1:

Cars Land is so so fun, we certainly spent more time than we thought we would there!

Mmm those truffles look lovely. I'm pretty sure you will get FP for the first WOC..I think the cut-off time for the first showing is either 6 or 6:30 reservations.

Sounds like such a great day! I can't wait to hear how everything turns out for you all!!

Wow, it's coming up fast! Your plans sound great. You really did your homework planning this trip and I can't wait to read all about it.

I can't believe you're leaving so soon...yay! :cool1:

I did a lot of playing around with Touring Plans before our super-short August 2014 WDW trip - definitely helped to give me a game plan on the best order to do things in and what was best to Fast Pass.

Yay for Dis-meets! :thumbsup2

Hope your princess meal is worth it! I've heard good things about that one, I think.

Those truffles look fantastic! Yum!

Sounds like a good day! :goodvibes

Yum!!! That candy looks good and so does your plans!!! Can not wait to see to see how this adventure unfolds!!!

You're so close! Isn't it crazy when departure day is just right around the corner?! :cool1:

I don't use the touring plans feature too often, but I'm a big fan of the Touring Plans app. I found it's wait times to be pretty accurate and I'm a HUGE fan of the restaurant menus. The menus on touring plans are a heck of a lot easier to navigate than those on the official Disney app! :thumbsup2

Can't wait to read about your upcoming trip! Will you periscope ? Kind of crazy with the kids and all but you are pretty ambitious, no?!

Just got all caught up - your trip and plans look fantastic!! I know you guys will have an amazing time and I can't wait to read all about it. I couldn't see the pics of the girls in their matching dresses, but I am sure they will look adorable!

1 week! So exciting! :jumping1:

Cars Land is so so fun, we certainly spent more time than we thought we would there!

Mmm those truffles look lovely. I'm pretty sure you will get FP for the first WOC..I think the cut-off time for the first showing is either 6 or 6:30 reservations.

Sounds like such a great day! I can't wait to hear how everything turns out for you all!!

It is crazy how close it is now ... just wish I wasn't feeling so swamped at work, be we will get there, going to do my best not to have to work much while on vacation

I called and they said each restaurant is a little different but they fully expect that our pass will be for the first showing, so we will plan around that

Hopefully everything turns out in reality pretty good!

Wow, it's coming up fast! Your plans sound great. You really did your homework planning this trip and I can't wait to read all about it.

Thanks! I mean, until we actually experience it, hard to plan all the details, but like you said I think I have done my homework and there is enough new stuff that even if everything doesn't work out I think we should have a good time

I can't believe you're leaving so soon...yay! :cool1:

I did a lot of playing around with Touring Plans before our super-short August 2014 WDW trip - definitely helped to give me a game plan on the best order to do things in and what was best to Fast Pass.

Yay for Dis-meets! :thumbsup2

Hope your princess meal is worth it! I've heard good things about that one, I think.

Those truffles look fantastic! Yum!

Sounds like a good day! :goodvibes

Only 4 more work days until we leave! We'll see how much I use the TP but yeah, I think it helps with order a bit and just a guide if we aren't sure what to do when, etc.

Hoping the DISmeets work out!

I think it should be a good day - hopefully we aren't worn out as that is our last full day ... we shall see

Yum!!! That candy looks good and so does your plans!!! Can not wait to see to see how this adventure unfolds!!!
I can't wait to see how it works out either! :rotfl: I don't see anything indicating we can't get the truffles as part of the package so hoping that works out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter