PTR: And now for something completely different - a WDW Family does DLR *(new October 9th)*

TheMaxRebo

DIS Veteran
Part 1 - Kick-off

Hello everyone! Welcome to my second pre-trip report here on the DISboards - but this will be for a very different trip for us. While we are Walt Disney World veterans, this will be our first trip ever to Disneyland - and actually our first tip to California at all! Which brings us to .....

And%20Now%20For%20Something%20Completely%20Different%20with%20Mickey%20foot.gif

As we have never been, this is all new to us and I am hoping those of you with more experience will offer up advice and point out if I am am doing something wrong :)

The dates of the trip are October 10-17:
- San Diego from the 10th - 13th
- Disneyland from the 13th - 17th

Introductions:

For those of you who don't know us ... well, Hi! Here is a picture of our family from our last trip to Walt Disney World which was in August of 2014. You can read out that trip via the links in my signature - we definitely learned the power of being flexible that trip so hopefully that will help us out for this trip:

18uv_648_udpu1.jpg

The members of our family unit are:

Me: Phil (TheMaxRebo here on the DISboards) - I do corporate finance for a global reinsurance company and like to use the DIS and other message forums to let my creative flag fly a bit. Truly love Disney especially the history of the parks and how they were developed - so getting to go to Disneyland is a bit of a pilgrimage for me. I also enjoy a good craft beer so if anyone knows of good places at/near Disneyland to get good beer I would be ever so grateful.

Judi: My wife who puts up with me. She is a stay at home mom with our brood - which means her job is approximately 17 times harder than mine. She very much enjoys our family trips to Disney though isn't quite is nutso about the planning as I am

Olivia: Our oldest daughter who turns 6 next week. She's kinda, sorta into this Frozen thing if any of you have heard of it. Along with princesses she really likes roller coasters - though the smoother the better. Here she is explaining that she didn't appreciate how Expedition Everest shook her cheeks too much:

yh70_ea5_udpu1.gif

Our son: Peter a.k.a. Pistol Pete. He can be really sweet - but also can be trouble ... are at the very least a handful. Last trip was the first time he was really into meeting characters so hopefully that continues. Here he is ignoring my please to stay out of the rain:
Peter%20in%20rain.gif

Lastly, our youngest daughter: Emma. She was only one month old our last trip - which was, no surprisingly, her first trip. Pretty sure she doesn't remember all of it but made for some great memories and some of the characters were great with her. Here is a bit more recent picture:

EmmainMickeyHat.jpg

Just a note that we are going to a DISmeet in June in Hershey and, like in my last Pre-Trip report, I plan to cover that as a mini-side trip report.

Part 2 - Links
Part 1 - Kick-off ... Post #1
Part 2 - Links ... Post #2

Part 3 - How did this happen? and plans so far ... Post #37
Part 4 - Part 4 - Tickets! and some initial thoughts on Food ... Post #64
Part 5 - More food and initial schedule ... Post #101
Part 6 - Stay Classy San Diego ... Post #133
Part 7 - Real Life Update and some thoughts on 60th Anniversary Activities ... Post #163
Part 8 - Some more updates ... and rethinking the San Diego activity ... Post #186
Part 9 - More plans booked/tickets bought ... Post #202
Part 10 - some random life updates and initial thoughts on park planning ... Post #233
Part 11 - Hershey DISmeet for GKTW (Part 1) ... Post #261
Part 12 - Hershey DISmeet for GKTW (Part 2) ... Post #262
Part 13 - Hershey DISmeet for GKTW (Part 3) ... Post #264
Part 14 - Happy Birthday Emma ... and a few questions ... Post #293
Part 15 - Totally re-working the Disneyland plans ... Post #305
Part 16 - All Meals Booked ... Post #342
Part 17 - One Month From Today: October 10th - travel day! ... Post #366
Part 18 - One Month From Today: October 11th - Double Brunch Day! ... Post #373
Part 19 - One Month From Today: October 12th - San Diego Zoo Safari Park ... Post #379
Part 20 - One Month From Today: October 13th - Disneyland Ho! ... or at least HoJo ... Post #382
Part 21 - One Month From Today: October 14th - Disneyland, CA, Breakfast with Minnie Mouse ... Post #390
Part 22 - One Month From Today: October 15th - Disneyland and more Disneyland! ... Post #399
Part 23 - One Month From Today: October 16th - Disneyland and DCA - including WOC! ... Post #412
Part 24 - One Month From Today: October 17th - Steakhouse 55! ... and we leave :( ... Post #427
Part 25 - Departure Day ... Post #435

Last edited:
Shut up, I can't believe you're going to Disneyland! Ahh, so jealous and excited. I can't wait to hear all the planning that'll go into this and of course all the real life adventures beforehand too :)

Yahoo!!!! You are going to love DLR. :hippie: We are going for our third visit this June. We're hooked!

I look forward to hearing how many times you use "back home" when referring to WDW. As in, "I really like Pirates of the Carribean better here, but I prefer Splash Mountain back home." Or, "I really wish they had a version of the Matterhorn back home." LOL

Anyway, congrats, and we looking forward to following along.

popcorn::

Woo hoo! :jumping3: Here and taking notes in case we make it out there!! :cool1:

So, how did you convince Judi to do this trip in a way that it would be silly to say no? :confused3 :rotfl:

Thanks for the bat signal, Phil. How cool that you are going to San Diego AND Disneyland. I'm rather jealous at the moment.

Great introductions of your beautiful family.

I am following along. I loved your last TR and I am happy to hear you will be getting your disney fix this year. Beautiful pictures in your intros.

Yay! Disneyland! We are planning on going in 2017, so I will appreciate learning right along with you! Emma is getting so big (comparatively) and adorable:thumbsup2

Hi Phil!!! We actually did San Diego and Disneyland in 2011!!! My sister and I were a lot older than your kids, so we'll have different strategies, but if you have any questions let me know and I'll be happy to help out if I can :) so glad the new DIS will incorporate your awesome GIFs so nicely!!

Thanks for the bat signal! Definitely on board for this one as DH and I are hoping for a San Diego/DL trip one of these days (months...OK years)! If only I didn't keep finding reasons to keep going back to WDW, so I totally appreciated your TR title.

As always, love the pics of your family. OMG - Emma's hat is way too cute!

Corporate finance? My oldest son is a finance/economics major graduating December 2015. Now that he is into his final year all I can think about is: Will he get a useful internship this summer and will he get a job????? :rotfl2: So, whenever I hear finance I tune right in. He seems to love it and I think he knows what he is talking about. And then again - maybe not! :laughing:

Really looking forward to your latest adventure!

Hi Phil! I'm here and following along!
Great intros! Awwww Emma got so big! She's so cute! And I love that hat :thumbsup2

Thanks for the heads up, Phil! Looking forward to hearing about the plans for this trip.

Happy Valentine's Day to you , Judi and those darling kids!

Hooray for a new PTR! :yay:

I've never been to California or DL either - I look forward to seeing you plan your adventures!

And holy cow, I ADORE Emma's hat! :lovestruc

Oh wow Phil. And here I thought there would be no Disney this year. What an exciting adventure you are about to embark on. Disneyland Resort is top notch with enough familiarity to make it, um, familiar, but so much uniqueness to make it completely different. I do wish I had made it to San Diego though. There better be a SeaWorld visit in those plans.

Thanks for the heads up, Phil!! I have to echo Rob's comments. DL feels so familiar, but yet is so different and unique in so many ways. We can't wait to go back in just 2 more weeks!! I am pretty confident y'all will love your first trip there. It will make park hopping (especially with little ones) feel like a ginormous pain in the rear when you get back to WDW!

Shut up, I can't believe you're going to Disneyland! Ahh, so jealous and excited. I can't wait to hear all the planning that'll go into this and of course all the real life adventures beforehand too :)

Thanks Amber - pretty excited. Wasn't really thinking of this but the 60th anniversary stuff piqued my interest

Yahoo!!!! You are going to love DLR. :hippie: We are going for our third visit this June. We're hooked!

I look forward to hearing how many times you use "back home" when referring to WDW. As in, "I really like Pirates of the Carribean better here, but I prefer Splash Mountain back home." Or, "I really wish they had a version of the Matterhorn back home." LOL

Anyway, congrats, and we looking forward to following along.

popcorn::

Thanks Matt - definitely welcome any advice you have. I am sure I will be doing comparisons l - probably a lot of "I prefer Splash Mountain"

Woo hoo! :jumping3: Here and taking notes in case we make it out there!! :cool1:

So, how did you convince Judi to do this trip in a way that it would be silly to say no? :confused3 :rotfl:

Hope I can provide at least some advice on what went well or didn't. I'll cover how this came to be next updates but I definitely caught Judi a technicality :rotfl2:

Thanks for the heads up Phil!

I'll try to read here as much as I can. :surfweb:

Thanks for joining-figured I would send the note since wasn't sure if people would see it in the Disneyland section

Thanks for the bat signal, Phil. How cool that you are going to San Diego AND Disneyland. I'm rather jealous at the moment.

Great introductions of your beautiful family.

With the weather we (and you) are having am wishing we were there now :rotfl:. Lots to plan but excited - and a little nervous as it is a bit of an unknown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter