PTR: 6-5-4-3-2-1 !!! NY-CANADA-NY June 2012/ Organizing the FE gifts! - 7 June

I had a really productive day yesterday so I wanted to share some of my excitement! Here are our FEs (!!!) :

TwoFestogether.jpg

TopofkidsFE.jpg

DetailLspocket.jpg

It's hard to see some of the detail on the pocket, but you get the feeling. The kids did their own pockets, and I did for me and DH. I'm still considering one last decoration on the top, maybe our family name or a big disney head. I'm "living with it" for awhile and then I'll decide! Living with it for sure - I took down two pictures in our living room and the FEs are hanging there instead:rotfl:!

Other news:
*Our cruise documents are waiting for us in NJ!
*We have finished making 29 small home-made gifts for the FEs. That's just the number that's come out for now. May still make some more. I have a scheme of how to distribute them...
*I printed the map of the staterooms for my FE group and and excited to say that there are a bunch of us on the same hallway:cool1:!
*I ordered DH kosher meals onboard. He'll be happier with the option. And he can always supplement from other food he finds that works for him.
*I studied the deckplan and it seems that our connecting deluxe inside staterooms have one with a steamer trunk, one without. I'm going to put the 4 kids in the room with the steamer trunk. The double bed is at the back of these rooms so I can pull the curtain on the bed in the parent room and they can also use the rest of our room as a "living room". :eek:Maybe.:rolleyes:
*Big chores left to do:
PACKING
ARRANGE CAT SITTERS
LABEL DD's stuff for camp
PRINT MAGNETS AND T-SHIRT IRON-ONS
ASSEMBLE THE FE GIFT BAGGIES
That's NOT a small amount to accomlish in 3 1/2 weeks! But, better than this time last week:woohoo:.
Have a good one, folks:dance3:!

very cute FE!!!!

tell DH that the french fries up on deck are made in their own french fry machine with vegetable oil so he can eat them...
there is no intermingling with anything...

also, there is usually a book on board with ingredients of everything so that you can see what you can eat...
for example, most of the breads will be ok for him....
and keep in mind that they don't mix things together when they make them because of allergy issues...
so if the bread recipe says it's made with XYZ, you can know that it is only made with XYZ and won't even be on a cooking table with something else..
they're very good about that...

you can also meet with a head waiter (maitre d') or chef at the beginning who will go through everything with you..
sometimes the head waiters are knowledgeable, sometimes not...
when i say head waiter, i mean the maitre d (DCL calls them the head waiter)

Your FE's look great!!!!!!! Can't wait to see them in person in just 4 short weeks!!! I too have got lots to do. :scared1: Went clothes shopping yesterday. I am doing the FE's for the other couples in my group too so I just got them all finished. Laminated my magnets on Friday so just have to put the magnets on the back - hopefully today. All FE goodies made/purchased so hoping to get the bags together starting Monday night (doing both groups for all 3 couples so like 90 gifts total - I better get to work!!) We will be sailing very soon!!!! Yippee!!!!!! :dance3:

Carol

DisneyholicFamily, thanks for the advice! It's great to hear from someone who "gets" the issues. You're right, Disney's awareness of food allergies really does help!
PKMingo, I can't believe you're doing ALL those FE gifts:worship:!! WOW! I've been having fun with the project, but it does take time! I'm also really intimidated by something totally silly - I'm scared of my printer:scared1:. I feel like I need the teens to help me print the magnets which is ridiculous - I need to get moving on that!
Time is a-flying - see you soon MAGIC:banana:!

we called DCL in advance, but when we got on board it wasn't quite as easy at the beginning because the first person you encounter in the dining room is a waiter who probably knows zero or less.

i'm talking about parrot cay where they send you for lunch when you board (unless you go up on deck to the buffet - but we went to parrot cay, which is also a buffet, but it was about as treif a buffet as i've ever seen....not even the salads would work)..

so we immediately said to the waiter that we eat kosher...
got a blank stare in return...
so we said it again...
he called over the head waiter (maitre d)
we were very lucky as the head waiter was extremely knowledgeable...
he'd been with DCL for years and had seen all levels of kosher (much more than we are and much less) so he really had an idea of what was flying...

he wasn't our head waiter for the cruise (when you board, if you eat in parrot cay, you might end up with that staff for your rotation, but you might not - this wasn't our rotation staff)..

anyway, this head waiter told us who our head waiter was going to be and that he would let our head waiter know..
and then this head waiter (an australian) went through everything on board the ship (and on castaway cay), letting us know exactly what we could and couldn't eat.....it was amazingly helpful...
and then a chef came out and discussed with us what he could prepare for us right then for lunch (he made us tuna salad as that's what we were in the mood for at that time)...

at dinner that night, we met our rotation staff....our server and assistant server were very good, but then we met our head waiter and he was stupendous!!! from italy........
we had ordered kosher meals and so that was all brought to us, but on the menu there was a dish that we could also eat, so they also brought that to us....
it turned out that it was one of the tastiest things we'd ever had so when the head waiter came over to take our order for the next night, we asked if we could have that again even though we'd be eating in a different restaurant the next night....he said no problem...
and the next night, the moment we sat down, the head waiter went to get us the meals from the other restaurant!!
and we had the same dish all the nights of the cruise (it was a sea bass prepared in water instead of a pan - sounds horrifying i'm sure, but it was the tastiest bass i've had in my life - and because it was sealed and prepared in water instead of on a pan, we could eat it...)
DH also ate all the kosher meals as well - which were ok....just like the ones at WDW....

needless to say, we tipped that head waiter a LOT more than the suggested $2.50 a day.....he absolutely made our cruise for us....

also, you should know that you can have sit down meals for breakfast and lunch in one of the restaurants....(lumiere's? i've forgotten the name).
you can order as much as you want...
DH ordered a Ton of food for breakfast....they had bagel/lox/creamcheese on the menu so he would order about 5 orders just of that....(he's 6 ' 7" tall and is skinny and eats mass quantities of food)...

remember that you can order as much as you want at meals....if you want two entrees, order two entrees.....two appetizers, etc etc

on our second cruise (8 years ago), the staff was also pretty knowledgeable....not on the level of the first cruise, but we knew more then so it didn't matter...

Two weekends ago, DH, DD15 and I took a drive to the Turtle Bridge of the Alexander Stream.

800px-Alexander_Stream_view_NE_from_tower.jpg

TheBridge.jpg

We live in the center of the country. The Alexander Stream is just north and west of us. The Bridge is a bit inland, and from there it is a 3 km walk to the mouth of the stream where it enters the Mediterranean at Beit Yanai/Michmoret beach.

-_01_11.jpg

The stream has been aggressively rehabilitated over the past years, and there is a turtle egg hatchery in Michmoret where the turtle eggs are hatched and turtles are nurtured until they can be released back into the stream. Here at the Turtle Bridge, they apparently have become quite socialized and know that humans don't read the signs that say "Don't Feed The Turtles!". Too bad. Cute turtles?? NOT REALLY!

FoodPlease.jpg

Many fish (BIG catfish!) and river otters, too.

OtterfamilyatAlexanderRiver.jpg

It was a nice outing, full of green vistas and lots of water! Quite a contrast to the previous two "detours" that I did here, which were more desert and dry.

No more detours until THE CRUISE though!
TWO WEEKS!!!!:cool1:

That looks really pretty! Thanks for sharing more pictures from your country - love those otters (they look cuter than the turtles!) Hope you are recouping well following your surgery. I am putting mine off until after the cruise and Disney World so I will be limping around the ship! Can't believe we leave for NYC in 16 days!!! Got all my FEs done and my packing started so we are getting ready!! Can't Wait!!!!!!! :yay:

So I'm feeling a lot better today, finally. Time to get moving again on preparations!:banana: (wiggling now, hope to be jumping again soon!)

Made up a packing list for the 4 teens today. It's just for the cruise portion of our trip. Clothing list only.

2 pairs shorts
5 t-shirts
1 long pants suitable for evenings/dinner
1 long pants - nice - suitable for semi-formal for those not wearing dress.
1 sweatpants good for lounging and/or sleeping.
PJ (if needed:rolleyes:!)
1 Disney sweatshirt (Mom will supply:goodvibes)
1 other sweater or sweatshirt
undergarments/socks for 5 days
Crocs or flipflops
2 bathing suits
One nice outfit including footwear

Trying to keep it to a minimum but without planning to do laundry on board.

What do you think???popcorn::

I'm about to start checking our lists from the past and editing them. We only have a 2 bedroom house so not a lot of room, but my daughter is super cleaning her room this weekend and then is going to sleep on the couch for the next couple weeks so we can lay out suitcases on her bed and start putting stuff in them.

It's getting close, close, close!!! :banana:

I think you have it covered pretty well! It is harder for me to figure for Canada instead of Caribbean! One thing suggested to us was a rain poncho in case of damp/showers in one of our ports. I got the cheap $ ones at walmart that are in a little pack so I only have to open them up if we need them. And an umbrella too but I am hoping not to have to use either!!! :thumbsup2

I think you have it covered pretty well! It is harder for me to figure for Canada instead of Caribbean! One thing suggested to us was a rain poncho in case of damp/showers in one of our ports. I got the cheap $ ones at walmart that are in a little pack so I only have to open them up if we need them. And an umbrella too but I am hoping not to have to use either!!! :thumbsup2

Good idea about umbrella. I need to remember to add that to my list.

Yes, I totally left off rainwear! Guess I wasn't allowing that thought to play any important role!!:rotfl: I think I'll pack some dollar-store ponchos and three fold-up umbrellas. Thinking that those "pedways" might be good if perish the thought there is rain!

Well here I am, here to report a brainstorm:idea:! I was trying to figure out how to move ahead making up the FE gift bags while some of my stuff is here but some I'll only have when we get to the States. And we have almost all the names but there are a few for whom we only know age and gender. SO, here's what I've done: I made up 9 categories of FE participant, ranging from the biggest group, two adults sailing together, to the smallest group, toddler. Then I assigned each group a Disney character and I'm making up stickers with the characters. I have a master list: which group/"character", what DISboard name, what stateroom #. I'll make up a bag for every person in every group with "their sticker" on it, and I know what goodies each character group is getting. Then I can just add what I need to when we get to the States:cheer2:! Sound good? Am I obsessing on this? YUP!:cool1::rotfl:

Great idea. We pulled out our bags last night and made sure that our gifts were going to fit in them. :rotfl: Luckily they did.

I have ran into a snag in that a material I need one for one of my gifts I thought would be readily available is not so I have bought out 2 stores in one of our neighboring towns and will be going to 2 more in another town tomorrow. :rotfl:

Other than that, things are going great and can't wait to meet everyone!

Gosh! You guys are so organized! :thumbsup2 This is why I can't do the FE thing...I'm freaking out as it is just dealing with work, end of school, kids' activities and packing.

Your packing list (clothing wise) is short and sweet. Wish we could be like that, but my girls are still in the phase where I can't count on them being able to wear anything that they wear to dinner over again (especially if marinara sauce is involved). I always end up having to do laundry, either at the parks or on the ship. I bring those Purex all in one sheets.

We are also doing the pirate thing to the hilt this time (pun intended). Last time we flew, so just brought a couple of things, but this time we all have costumes, so a lot more to lug!

I have ran into a snag in that a material I need one for one of my gifts I thought would be readily available is not so I have bought out 2 stores in one of our neighboring towns and will be going to 2 more in another town tomorrow. :rotfl:
!

:rotfl:
I was running all over the place looking for those little charms you put on charm bracelets etc! I'd gotten a bunch at Michael's when I was in the States over the Winter, but ran out - Israelis don't have a clue about them! I finally found one craft store that had one type that was passable - bought them out!

Gosh! You guys are so organized! :thumbsup2 This is why I can't do the FE thing...I'm freaking out as it is just dealing with work, end of school, kids' activities and packing.

Your packing list (clothing wise) is short and sweet. Wish we could be like that, but my girls are still in the phase where I can't count on them being able to wear anything that they wear to dinner over again (especially if marinara sauce is involved). I always end up having to do laundry, either at the parks or on the ship. I bring those Purex all in one sheets.

We are also doing the pirate thing to the hilt this time (pun intended). Last time we flew, so just brought a couple of things, but this time we all have costumes, so a lot more to lug!

Yes, I'm organized -- for the tasks which I can control:lmao:! If you look at my house, you'd NEVER say I am organized:laughing:!
I started my own packing today - I'm not sure how I'm going to hold up to the minimalistic packing list I gave the teens! Maybe they won't notice if I take a few more of everything?:rolleyes1
That's great that you're doing the pirate thingpirate:! I'm not sure that I'd get my crew to go all out with it. But I'm aiming to get them all to at least wear a t-shirt made for the evening - we'll see!

See you all SOON:dance3:!

Well here I am, here to report a brainstorm:idea:! I was trying to figure out how to move ahead making up the FE gift bags while some of my stuff is here but some I'll only have when we get to the States. And we have almost all the names but there are a few for whom we only know age and gender. SO, here's what I've done: I made up 9 categories of FE participant, ranging from the biggest group, two adults sailing together, to the smallest group, toddler. Then I assigned each group a Disney character and I'm making up stickers with the characters. I have a master list: which group/"character", what DISboard name, what stateroom #. I'll make up a bag for every person in every group with "their sticker" on it, and I know what goodies each character group is getting. Then I can just add what I need to when we get to the States:cheer2:! Sound good? Am I obsessing on this? YUP!:cool1::rotfl:

I'm not on your cruise....but stumbled upon this thread from another so hope you don't mind my commenting:)

We travel on the July 8 NY to Canada ...our first Disney cruise.

Our FE group has 11 cabins....seems manageable. Last night I sat down and looked at a ship map to find out where the cabins are and I made a list so I would know where to go. Forward, middle or back (I know there is a ship word for forward and back but don't know it!)

I was happy to see that amazingly, most cabins are clustered together! Most are middle or front. So, delivery should be easy.

If you haven't done this, it was pretty easy and should make the delivery easy, too!

Now I just need to make my FE (somehow....guess I need to search those directions for the millionth time!!) and make my adult gifts...have the supplies, know what I'm doing...just need to do it!!

Kids are set (except for the two boys who are 16 and 17.....candy and light up bracelets...those are fun on a ship at night even if you are a teen boy, right?) Tell me if they would think they're silly!!

Any suggestions appreciated!

BTW, I have friends in Israel who also have a son, Nadav, who is now 20something!

Looking foward to hearing all about the Canadian trip!!

You are certainly welcome here, maybe we can help you deal with your LONG wait all the way until JULY for your cruise:rotfl2:! Seriously, welcome! I promise :flower3: to write a TR when we return!
The wonderful FE organizer for our group did an annoted deck plans with all the staterooms labeled. It really does help! Isn't it funny how rooms are grouped? Do you think they have a DIS filter and put all of us together on purpose?! On our little end of the 2nd floor hallway there are 5 cabins in our FE group!
Candy and light-up bracelets sounds good. My teens are quite in favor of candy.
Here's a funny thing about the name Nadav. When I was a teenager I was a daycamp counselor and one of the little boys was named Nadav. I loved that name (and the kid - maybe that's why I loved the name!). Who'd have known that I'd marry an Israeli and live in Israel and get to name one of my own kids Nadav! Originally I thought we might nickname him Davi, but that never happened. He's everything else but - Nadavi, Nad, Nads, etc!
Keep pluggin' on your FE stuff, it is definitely more of a project than I ever had imagined but absolutely worth it, such huge fun already and we're not even on the boat yet:dance3:!

Headed to NYC!!!!! very excited we have not been on magic since sept 2008!
Other ships yes but not the magic.... updates to follow..:thumbsup2 i hope.!

Headed to NYC!!!!! very excited we have not been on magic since sept 2008!
Other ships yes but not the magic.... updates to follow..:thumbsup2 i hope.!

Have a GREAT cruise!!! I want to hear all about it. Did you get the card I sent you before you left? I really hope so!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter