PTR: 6-5-4-3-2-1 !!! NY-CANADA-NY June 2012/ Organizing the FE gifts! - 7 June

So about 3 weeks ago, my DH and I went to Eilat for a long weekend! It was a trip subsidized by my work, a "prize" for all the workers in our division for being the best at something or another:rolleyes:! Eilat is about 5 hours drive from the center of the country where we live. Basically, you drive through the desert for 5 hours and then you are there. OK, maybe only about 3 hours is totally the middle of nowhere. Years ago we used to live in that region of Israel, so it is very familiar to us. This was the first time we went as persons-of-leisure!
Driving down to Eilat, you pretty much see this:

1305434361_44e20e31c6.jpg

There are 2 ways to get there, the road that winds through the mountains, or the road that winds through the valley. Both are pretty - this time we were on a bus so we went the valley route - a few less hairpin turns. When we drive ourselves, we go the wiggly route which passes through Mitzpe Ramon:

04-18-06ToMiztpeRamon20051.jpg

Do you see that patch of houses out there in the desert?

KibbutzLotanfromtheAravaHighway-1.jpg

We used to live there! It's a kibbutz (collective community) called Kibbutz Lotan, and about 150 people live there. Most work either on the kibbutz itself (dairy cows, date palm orchards, kitchen etc), in the local region (teachers, tour guides) or in Eilat (social workers, travel agents). We loved living there, but it was so isolated that we decided after the kids got toward school age to move to the center of the country. We go to visit friends there a lot, so it was weird to pass by without saying Hi.

Viewfromourhotelwindow-1.jpg

We stayed at a beautiful Hilton in Eilat. It was February but the sun shined for 2 of the 3 days and we were in t-shirts. The water was very cold, though. No swimming. Just North of the hotel area is a no-man's land with some beachfront, and then the border with Jordan.

Walkingnortheastalongthebeachonecomestoaratherforebodingsign-1.jpg

ViewofAqabaJordanfromEilatIsrael-1.jpg

It is quite close! We were there once (Aqaba is the town). There are some beautiful hotels and great restaurants there, but it feels very Middle East. It is about 1 hour's drive from Aqaba to Petra. That's a big draw, too. Eilat itself feels much more like a trendy/tacky/could-be-anywhere vacation town.

This is walking back from the border area.

GidonNorthBeachEilat-2.jpg

The hotels are all lined up by the water. The "real town" pushes back and up into the hills. That's the Eilat I used to know. That's where I worked. There are about 80,000 residents in Eilat, I think. Many work in the tourism industry but many in local industries, or as teachers, nurses, store owners, etc.

We went to a wax museum (in the lobby of the IMAX theater!). Recognize these folks? ARRRRRRRRRpirate:!

Pirates-1.jpg

PiratesoftheCarribean-1.jpg

And there's a sculpure park with painted fishies. Of course I liked this one most!

PirateFish-1.jpg

Well, we mostly stayed in the hotel, relaxing and eating and relaxing some more! If you're ever in the area, it's a nice place to hang out for a few days!

Thanks for joining me on this Detour To Eilat!
Next trip ... ::MickeyMo::MinnieMo:earsboy::earsgirl::mickeybar:

Thank you for sharing your trip! That area around the Hilton looks so beautiful! Hope you had a very nice time!
Carol

Just found your thread.
I spent 12 days in Israel back in April 2010 with my two oldest. We hiked Ein Gedi also. Did not get a chance to get to Eilat really wanted to go to Petra just didn't find the time. My DS 15 had a great time keeps asking to go back and visit again. Did get to see Tel Aviv, Haifa, Acre, Golan Heights, Sea of Galilee and Jerusalem.

Thanks Brownzee and PKMingo!
I enjoyed someone else's PTR where they posted about some of their sidetrips, so I'm glad that my "detours" are being enjoyed, too!
I hate to admit it :rolleyes: but I have never been to Petra either! And I live here. I even lived near Eilat for many years! I've been across to Jordan but it was just after the border opened and we just went for a short visit to experience it. One day... I have lived here for 13 years and still have a lot to see. For a small country there is a wealth of scenery, history, culture, and beauty! My kids do a lot of traveling around with school - every year from 1st grade on does day trips and then from 6th grade overnight trips all around the country. LUCKY THEM!
Brownzee, what kind of cabin arrangement does one do when sailing with 6 :eek:kids?! AWESOME!

Enjoying your PTR! My DD 8 and I are in the same Cruise with you in June can't wait for April 3rd either...Your FE is wonderful I can't wait to see it up close!!! Counting down the days with you :cool1:

Enjoying your PTR! My DD 8 and I are in the same Cruise with you in June can't wait for April 3rd either...Your FE is wonderful I can't wait to see it up close!!! Counting down the days with you :cool1:

Thanks for checking out my PTR:goodvibes! I have 2 nephews and one neice all in 3rd grade (different families), it's a great age!
I really feel like things are "heating up" on our threads, as we get closer! Way fun!
Are you thinking of booking port adventures for Halifax or Saint John. I think we're going to do them on our own ... but I have until April 3rd to decide!

Are you thinking of booking port adventures for Halifax or Saint John. I think we're going to do them on our own ... but I have until April 3rd to decide!

I am thinking about doing the top 10 in Halifax with my friend that's going on the cruise and the kiddos staying in the club they didn't really see anything that seemed interesting to them. In St. Johns we are probably doing the girlie tea party :) Not sure though...I'm in the first time DCL guest like you so a little longer to work it all out!

Thanks Brownzee and PKMingo!
I enjoyed someone else's PTR where they posted about some of their sidetrips, so I'm glad that my "detours" are being enjoyed, too!
I hate to admit it :rolleyes: but I have never been to Petra either! And I live here. I even lived near Eilat for many years! I've been across to Jordan but it was just after the border opened and we just went for a short visit to experience it. One day... I have lived here for 13 years and still have a lot to see. For a small country there is a wealth of scenery, history, culture, and beauty! My kids do a lot of traveling around with school - every year from 1st grade on does day trips and then from 6th grade overnight trips all around the country. LUCKY THEM!
Brownzee, what kind of cabin arrangement does one do when sailing with 6 :eek:kids?! AWESOME!

We have two inside standard rooms with four of us in each room. It's going to be tight but we don't plan in being in the room to much. Hoping to up grade at the port but it's not looking good for this after talking to DCL.
My wife the organizer in the family. She got every thing going like a miltary operation. My BIL was telling me I should do a travel blog on our vacations. Every one is amazed how we can even get the kids out of the house every morning to school with out being late.

We have two inside standard rooms with four of us in each room. It's going to be tight but we don't plan in being in the room to much. Hoping to up grade at the port but it's not looking good for this after talking to DCL.
My wife the organizer in the family. She got every thing going like a miltary operation. My BIL was telling me I should do a travel blog on our vacations. Every one is amazed how we can even get the kids out of the house every morning to school with out being late.

We'll have the 4 "kids" in one inside room, too. They'll manage - they won't even know that there is such a thing as bigger cabins! I know what you mean about organization and getting out of the house - and I "only" have 4 kids! When the triplets were toddlers we joined a mom-and-me type group and we were always the first ones to arrive. The moms with one baby would run in huffing and puffing 10 seconds before the time. What they didn't understand that to get to a 10 am class we'd start getting ready to leave the house ... at 7 am!!!!!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 big families that travel:thumbsup2

I like that you decided to write about your trip to Eilat in your TR. I have never traveled anywhere near there, so my views about what the country looks like are probably quite stereotypical. It is great to see pictures and read about your homeland - it looks very pretty :)

I like that you decided to write about your trip to Eilat in your TR. I have never traveled anywhere near there, so my views about what the country looks like are probably quite stereotypical. It is great to see pictures and read about your homeland - it looks very pretty :)

Thanks :goodvibes ! It's a beautiful country, really. So far I've only posted about desert/Southern places. The North is quite green and lush (well, after the winter rains anyway!). Over the kids' spring break we may go up North so hopefully I'll do a "detour" report from there as well!

It's today! Meaning, it's April 3rd :woohoo: and it is our 75-day-mark, the day that we first-timers can do online booking and all that! Luckily I live 7 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time, so my check-in hour was this morning. I was a bit flustered, I have to say,:headache: not quite as organized as I should have been giving that I spend so much time on these boards! I forgot to get the passport numbers organized in advance and had to run and find the passports, which fortunately were in their place. Well, five of six were. I had used mine more recently and had returned it to a different place. OOOPS. But at least it was in a logical different place so I found it fast. Then I needed to run again to grab my wallet for my credit card # for onboard charging. It was a bit chaotic but I got it done - and an 11:30 port arrival time! The earliest arrival times are 11:00 in NYC but those were already "not available". 11:30 is great, I think :woohoo:! I wasn't planning on booking any port adventures or Palo dining or nursery time - so that took off that pressure. Anyone else out there do their check-in today??

Yay for getting your online check-in done!! An 11:30 arrival time is still really good! You must be getting so excited now that your cruise is that much closer!

I did excursions at midnight and went to sleep and missed my 3 am alarm for check-in but managed to wake up at 4am and do it...also got the 11:30 arrival time so pretty happy with that!!! :dance3:

Hi Friends!
So I took on the Saint John challenge! I decided that I need to focus on this port now, get to know it, be one with it, integrate it's uniqueness into my world view. In other words, I googled it and started to read:surfweb:! As you will remember, the plan for Halifax was an integrated yummy snack food and interesting sight seeing one. For Saint John, I don't yet have SPECIFICS on the yummy snack food aspect (will work on that, promise...:rolleyes:) but here is my rough plan.
It involves the Harbour Passage walking path

harbour_passage_opening.jpg

which I hope won't look quite this crowded, though maybe it will as we are in port that day with the Carnival Glory!

And this shopping browsing eating area, Market Square:

marketsquaresaintjohn.jpg

And ... the thrill aspect of our day ... we have a 1 pm reservation for THIS:

jetboatride.gif

I'm hoping those boats have really good seatbelts, or maybe even full body harnesses!

That's my thoughts for today! HAPPY SPRING HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

wildflowersontheTitora.jpg

(wildflowers blooming on the Titora Hill in our town)
almondtreeflowering.jpg

(Almond trees are our earliest sign of Spring!)

When I was looking at this cruise, we were planning on doing most of the ports ourselves as well. Maybe doing the HOHO bus to get us around or something. St. John really looks like a beautiful city and I think that you picked some great sights to see. I don't think that I would have the courage for the jet boats though :scared1: I really would love to one day see the Hopewell rocks in St. John - it is such a unique and gorgeous site. The only problem with doing that on the cruise is that it is a couple of hours away from where the ship docks so that one excursion would take up almost the entire time you are at the port. Good luck finding the yummy foods! There are some really helpful locals on these boards who can probably point you in the right direction! As a Canadian, I love beaver tails and poutine - both are horrible for you but are so delicious! If you can find either of them on your adventures, I would give it a try.

I look forward to reading more, and Happy Spring Holidays to you as well!

: As a Canadian, I love beaver tails and poutine - both are horrible for you but are so delicious! If you can find either of them on your adventures, I would give it a try.
QUOTE]:

I had to "google" poutine - OMG:scared1:! Gravy AND cheese on french fries! I know some folks that would go ga ga over that!! Over here in Israel, a favorite way to eat fries is with hummus, or in a pita bread with hummus and a chopped salad! Me, I like my fries the old fashioned American way - ketchup! Thanks for sharing the poutine concept!

We are on the June 10th trip... will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
I read the entire report. fantastic. :wizard:

Peter :goodvibes

We are on the June 10th trip... will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
I read the entire report. fantastic. :wizard:

Peter :goodvibes

Thanks for reading!
So psyched to hear from someone who will do this the week before us:banana:! You'll be breaking ground! I wonder if "we" can ask for a summary of highlights/ do's / don't's / do differently's ASAP after you get back? Maybe we can pick up a few hints before we board? Though in reality, we're talking about 2 days between our trips. So, maybe we'll just have to settle for chatting about our trips afterwards!:cheer2:
Hope your planning is going well, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter