Pros and Cons of Online Check-in

The only true disadvantage to online check-in is that you are required to link a credit card for room charging. This means you'd be subject to the $100 hold, as a PP mentions. So if you will not be charging back to your room, you likely won't want to complete online check-in.
And even then if you do online check in and link a card you aren't required or forced to then use room charging. It's still optional

And you can still do that with online check in
And you can get an upgrade with online check-in
They are as equally as random
You can think is because you ask but it's not
I got the upgrade because I ask. If I didn’t we would have been in a standard room location as stated. It was after I ask. She came back with a completely different room. Had I not ask. I wouldn’t have gotten it. I know it due to asking. At least for us because they present the other room to us. I understand what you are saying. But for others. We get upgraded due to asking.

I got the upgrade because I ask. If I didn’t we would have been in a standard room location as stated. It was after I ask. She came back with a completely different room. Had I not ask. I wouldn’t have gotten it. I know it due to asking. At least for us because they present the other room to us. I understand what you are saying. But for others. We get upgraded due to asking.

To be clear to everyone
The point is the odds are the same if you don't do online check in and you ask at check in or do online check in get your room and don't like it and then go ask. You don't hurt you odds with online check-in

We did on line check in for the first time during our last stay last month. I thought it was better than the traditional check in at front desk. We put our arrival time in for 1:30 pm & it was ready before that. Real nice to walk in & go straight to room.

So, if we are planning on checking in at the desk and checking about upgrades, would you still recommend doing a room request?

So, if we are planning on checking in at the desk and checking about upgrades, would you still recommend doing a room request?
Most of the room request areas on the online check in options aren’t working anyway. I can’t think of the last resort I had any that functioned.
Maybe FQ in Feb

I did online check in to our Yacht Club trip last September, we had no requests, but faxed in a room request from Touring Plans. I didn;t get my room request but I was upgraded to a CL room. We did NOT do online check in for our Grand Floridian stay in November and were upgraded to a MK view Club Level room. Again I did a room request fax through Touring Plans. I always do a fax for a king size bed, I didn't get a king either time, but did not complain because the CL room was worth giving up our King. I booked Beach Club for Memorial Day weekend and do not anticipate an upgrade since I booked through Priceline this time. The rate was just too good.

I have to pickup my magic bands so might as well check in.

This is also the first time I made a request. I am allergic to the laundry detergent that Disney uses so I need brand new sheets. I found put on my first trip a couple years ago. This is only me second trip to Disney. It was a fun night. But they were great to change my sheets at like midnight.

The $100 cc hold that is automatically placed on checkin day if you don't want any holds placed.

Yeah, that's the downside.

The only 2 times that we used it, it seemed that the online check-in room requests (which are just basic) overruled the requests we made over the phone.

Right. Which is why it has always been said to NOT do any room requests if you've made any requests in another way. Because if there's anything at all contradictory in them, they'll go to the online checkin.

FWIW, upgrades at a hotel happen when the room type you booked is unavailable or oversold. You could always politely ask about one, but how you check in has no bearing on whether you'd receive an upgrade or not.

Agreed.

I know it due to asking.

It happens after you ask, but it happens *because* they don't need that room for someone else AND they are feeling kind.

I have to pickup my magic bands so might as well check in.

This is also the first time I made a request. I am allergic to the laundry detergent that Disney uses so I need brand new sheets. I found put on my first trip a couple years ago. This is only me second trip to Disney. It was a fun night. But they were great to change my sheets at like midnight.

Isn't there a way to request an allergy "treatment" by phone beforehand?

Yeah, that's the downside.

Right. Which is why it has always been said to NOT do any room requests if you've made any requests in another way. Because if there's anything at all contradictory in them, they'll go to the online checkin.

Agreed.

It happens after you ask, but it happens *because* they don't need that room for someone else AND they are feeling kind.

Isn't there a way to request an allergy "treatment" by phone beforehand?
I did do by phone. After I made my reservation I called and she added that. Though she had to create something special since there is nothing for what I have. But I still have to check-in to pick up my magic bands so I usually make sure my request is in place.

And even then if you do online check in and link a card you aren't required or forced to then use room charging. It's still optional

Right! I only mentioned it as a disadvantage to online check-in because it seems that the $100 credit card hold is applied to people's cards before they arrive when they complete online check-in. If someone doesn't want to charge and is concerned about the hold, they should avoid online check-in. But if they are ok with the hold, it makes no difference then.

I agree with you and do the same thing. There is a lot to be said for the personal touch and being able to chat with the person doing the actual check- in. call me Old School, but you become more than a reservation number when you deal with someone face to face. I think that you stand a better chance when you are right there in front of someone than trying after the fact. Once they know that you already have a room, I would think it easier for them to say it's not possible and have to relocate you. I would rather know BEFORE I get to a room and settle in, then have to wait for the beelman to come and relocate all of my gear. I want to to head out and start enjoying my stay at that point.

just me. :-)

I agree with you and do the same thing. There is a lot to be said for the personal touch and being able to chat with the person doing the actual check- in. call me Old School, but you become more than a reservation number when you deal with someone face to face. I think that you stand a better chance when you are right there in front of someone than trying after the fact. Once they know that you already have a room, I would think it easier for them to say it's not possible and have to relocate you. I would rather know BEFORE I get to a room and settle in, then have to wait for the beelman to come and relocate all of my gear. I want to to head out and start enjoying my stay at that point.

Yep, 100% correct. Thats why we check in the way we do..because it works. Doing things face to face anywhere...but especially WDW or DLR will open a ton of doors. You just have to ask and be personable.
Vegas also.lol

People seem to think that you aren't assigned a room prior to arrival if you don't do online check-in
This is incorrect
You are assigned a room prior to arrival no matter what, online check-in or no online check-in.
So that particular counterpoint is hollow, you WILL already have a room. Period.
And to be said yet again, doing online check-in doesn't mean you are not allowed to go to the desk too. You can. Who knows, maybe you get an upgrade off the online check-in alone. We have. We never ask for something we don't pay for but if it's assigned to us, we will happily take it. Have many times. All via online check-in. Not to mention, I've had rooms at 8:00 am by doing it. So no harm done, if we had wanted to ask for something we didn't pay for, we could have. If we hadn't liked out room assigned, we could have asked for another location in that category. We could have gone to the desk just to say Hey.
But one thing we wouldn't have done, gotten our room number at 8:00 am on the ME. Only doing online check-in offers that. Otherwise, they'd have no way to know to send you your room number that early

I guess I'm alone in doing both, online check-in and stopping at the desk, or taking the option to, and we do over 75% of the time. I like to meet the staff too.

I like to avoid having to talk to people, so online check in is great for me. Also, I don't have to wait to get to the resort to try to get my room assignment changed if I don't like what I was given. They give you a number to call, so I have twice gotten my room assignment changed while on a bus or in the parks, no need to take time out of my day to go to the resort.

I like to avoid having to talk to people, so online check in is great for me. Also, I don't have to wait to get to the resort to try to get my room assignment changed if I don't like what I was given. They give you a number to call, so I have twice gotten my room assignment changed while on a bus or in the parks, no need to take time out of my day to go to the resort.
This is something to consider, if you arrive via ME.
You can get in a long line at times, depending on who is heading to the desk off the bus.
If you drive then you may have lower odds of hitting the same time as a bus load

We do online check in and we always go to the front desk. The one time I didn't I had MB issues and had to go there anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter