Pros and Cons of Online Check-in

I haven't done online checkin yet - I guess because I like talking to someone when I check in (sorry PP lol). My guess is that resorts like PoP where all the rooms are now renovated and I don't care which section I'm in then I'd be fine doing online check in. For some resorts like CSR where you may want to be closer to this or that - there's a lot of variation on where you could end up even in a standard view room so I definitely like going to the desk. Also if the resort is being renovated I like to try to get a new room (if they are the same category I booked). I've only ever gotten one upgrade ever - didn't ask for it - at AKL about a million years ago - to savannah view. :) I'd bet there is not a downside to online check in however - if you don't like the room you can still get in line and try to switch areas (or on the phone).

I haven't done online checkin yet - I guess because I like talking to someone when I check in (sorry PP lol). My guess is that resorts like PoP where all the rooms are now renovated and I don't care which section I'm in then I'd be fine doing online check in. For some resorts like CSR where you may want to be closer to this or that - there's a lot of variation on where you could end up even in a standard view room so I definitely like going to the desk. Also if the resort is being renovated I like to try to get a new room (if they are the same category I booked). I've only ever gotten one upgrade ever - didn't ask for it - at AKL about a million years ago - to savannah view. :) I'd bet there is not a downside to online check in however - if you don't like the room you can still get in line and try to switch areas (or on the phone).
Ok, here's a poster to ask,
What makes you think you can't talk to someone even if you do online check-in? Where do you think the process has to be different, on your end? Other than you have also clicked in a few things online too?
Since you bring it up, specifically.
Maybe this can help clear up where this disconnect comes from

Last edited:
Everyone's sort of arguing different points here and talking past one another.

The OP's question was, is there a downside, from the guest's perspective, to doing online check-in?

The concerns that have been raised include:

1) If I do online check-in, can I still go to the front desk and talk to the cast members?

2) Can I still approach the desk and ask for a free upgrade?

3) Can I still ask for a different room, if I don't like the one I was assigned?

The answer to all of those questions is YES.

Also:

1) Does online check-in make it less likely that I'll get an upgrade?

2) Does online check-in mean that I will always get a text with my room number, and will be able to bypass the front desk and go straight to my room?

3) Does online check-in mean that I'm locked into that room assignment and must accept it even if there's something wrong or it doesn't meet my needs?

The answer to all of these questions is NO.

A particularly important point that many are missing is this: online check-in does not necessarily mean that you'll get your room number without stopping at the front desk. Online check-in makes it possible for that to happen. Out of all my stays at Disney resorts since the beginning of online check-in, I think I've been able to bypass the front desk twice. All of the other times, I've had to go to the front desk to get my room number.

I've changed rooms on the phone after online check in at both those resorts. :D CSR put us in the building immediately next to construction (this was over a year ago when the tower was still going up) and Pop put us in the 90's (which I hate). These were the second halves of split stays and we were going directly to the park for the day with no plans to go to the resort until after park close, so it was nice to be able to get it sorted in the morning when they probably had more flexibility in where they could move us.

Ok, here's a poster to ask,
What makes you think you can't talk to someone even if you do online check-in? Where do you think the process has to be different, on your end? Other than you have also clicked in a few things online too?
Since you bring it up, specifically.
Maybe this can help clear up where this disconnect comes from

I too like talking to a CM at check-in. So I do online check in AND we go to the front desk upon arrival. Best of both worlds.

As a DVC member changing rooms after check in does make a difference. There is a fee involved. If you do online check in and then decide you do not like your room assignment, you have to visit the desk to see if there is another room available. Then they will charge you a fee to change rooms. Now if you are assigned a room (not checked into a room) and do not do online check in, you have the option to move before taking possession of the room without being charged. Once you are checked in you take possession of the room, whether you have stepped foot in it or not. And if you change after in person or online check in, you will be assessed a fee for housekeeping to check the room before reassigning. We have been members since 1997 and have only done online check in once. We were assigned and checked into a handicapped accessible room with a roll in shower and lower counters in the kitchen. I had not even stepped into the room. But I knew from the map it was an accessible room and I was not pleased. We went directly to the front desk. They charged us $40 and gave us a huge hassle to move to another room. The only time I was ever upset with the front desk at OKW. We have not done online check in since. Now they still assign us a room prior to our arrival. But when we do in person check in I speak to the CM to see where the room is and to make sure it is not accessible. By the way, I always request top floor and not accessible. But often our requests are disregarded. But when I do in person check in the CM normally does whatever they can to find a room that meets our request.

You don't have to provide a room request when doing online check-in. That area is optional if it's working at all

Right. Which is why it has always been said to NOT do any room requests if you've made any requests in another way. Because if there's anything at all contradictory in them, they'll go to the online checkin.
Thanks I knew all that. The OP was asking for Cons and those were our Cons with Online check-in.

As a DVC member changing rooms after check in does make a difference. There is a fee involved. If you do online check in and then decide you do not like your room assignment, you have to visit the desk to see if there is another room available. Then they will charge you a fee to change rooms. Now if you are assigned a room (not checked into a room) and do not do online check in, you have the option to move before taking possession of the room without being charged. Once you are checked in you take possession of the room, whether you have stepped foot in it or not. And if you change after in person or online check in, you will be assessed a fee for housekeeping to check the room before reassigning. We have been members since 1997 and have only done online check in once. We were assigned and checked into a handicapped accessible room with a roll in shower and lower counters in the kitchen. I had not even stepped into the room. But I knew from the map it was an accessible room and I was not pleased. We went directly to the front desk. They charged us $40 and gave us a huge hassle to move to another room. The only time I was ever upset with the front desk at OKW. We have not done online check in since. Now they still assign us a room prior to our arrival. But when we do in person check in I speak to the CM to see where the room is and to make sure it is not accessible. By the way, I always request top floor and not accessible. But often our requests are disregarded. But when I do in person check in the CM normally does whatever they can to find a room that meets our request.

This is also a very valid point, it's an entirely different ballgame for DVC members due to contractual constraints, for DVC members it even moreso STRONGLY recommended that they check-in via traditional check-in at the Front Desk to avoid any mishaps, as stated by this poster there is actually a fee involved for a DVC member to change rooms after check-in and this includes online check-in.

If I am staying concierge level I prefer to check-in when I arrive. When I've stayed using DVC or not using CL, I check in online. Is there any difference checking in online or in person when staying CL? I have no idea, I've never tried. As for upgrades checking in online or in person, I'm not concerned at all. The only thing I expect is what I paid to get, nothing less or nothing more and I never ask. With that said, whether checking in online or in person, in all my stays the only time I was upgraded was my very first visit to Disney at the WL. The CM at the desk informed us that pixie dust was in the air and we were in for a pleasant surprise. I had no idea what CL was or what she meant by pixie dust. As for pros or cons; I really can't say. Just do what ever preference you like best. :goodvibes

This is also a very valid point, it's an entirely different ballgame for DVC members due to contractual constraints, for DVC members it even moreso STRONGLY recommended that they check-in via traditional check-in at the Front Desk to avoid any mishaps, as stated by this poster there is actually a fee involved for a DVC member to change rooms after check-in and this includes online check-in.

Odd...we didn't get charged for taking a different room than the one we were assigned in December. We did online check-in like we always do and went to the desk upon arrival since we hadn't gotten a room ready text. The CM told us the room we were assigned (and had requested...high floor) wasn't ready and wouldn't be for a few more hours, BUT we could have another room that was ready now (same category but only 3rd floor). We took the room that was ready now. No charged, but perhaps that was because we didn't request the change?

Odd...we didn't get charged for taking a different room than the one we were assigned in December. We did online check-in like we always do and went to the desk upon arrival since we hadn't gotten a room ready text. The CM told us the room we were assigned (and had requested...high floor) wasn't ready and wouldn't be for a few more hours, BUT we could have another room that was ready now (same category but only 3rd floor). We took the room that was ready now. No charged, but perhaps that was because we didn't request the change?

In this scenario the CM initiated/offered the room assignment change since your original assigned room was not ready, therefore it was not a room change since you had not actually been checked in yet due to the room not being ready.

If you would have already been checked in to that room and you requested a room change after the fact then there would have been a fee for the change as per your DVC contact (if you are a DVC member).

In this scenario the CM initiated/offered the room assignment change since your original assigned room was not ready, therefore it was not a room change since you had not actually been checked in yet due to the room not being ready.

If you would have already been checked in to that room and you requested a room change after the fact then there would have been a fee for the change as per your DVC contact (if you are a DVC member).

I am a member...and for us, $40 isn't a make or break thing if we needed to change our room. BUT there would have to be something really...REALLY wrong with the room for us to bother changing location.

Do you think this would apply in the case like we had once, when we were given an accessible room with a roll in shower? We didn’t try to change it abd just made do but it was a pain having water on the bathroom floor when we did not need an accessible room or shower. Thanks.

Do you think this would apply in the case like we had once, when we were given an accessible room with a roll in shower? We didn’t try to change it abd just made do but it was a pain having water on the bathroom floor when we did not need an accessible room or shower. Thanks.

It depends, if that is the room type that you booked then you don't have many options, a non-accessible room may not be available and/or the hotel may be sold out. Now if you did not book an accessible room and you were placed in one then that would be a different story, in that scenario the Front Desk should accommodate you with a room change free of charge to the room type that you booked.

It depends, if that is the room type that you booked then you don't have many options, a non-accessible room may not be available and/or the hotel may be sold out. Now if you did not book an accessible room and you were placed in one then that would be a different story, in that scenario the Front Desk should accommodate you with a room change free of charge to the room type that you booked.

Thanks! I think it was before we bought in and either a points rental at OKW or a booking for a room from Disney. We definitely did not request a non accessible room but had no idea we could request to be moved to a non accessible room. It was a shock when we walked into the room.

We've already checked in to BWI online, but we need to drop off our bags, as we'll be arriving early (9 am- we'll be staying at the Hilton the night before). Is there a special spot to do that or do we just go to the front desk?

We're club level, so we plan to go up to the lounge to wait for DH to arrive after picking up DS20 from the airport. Hoping to get into our room early but if not we'll go to the parks when they get back.

We've already checked in to BWI online, but we need to drop off our bags, as we'll be arriving early (9 am- we'll be staying at the Hilton the night before). Is there a special spot to do that or do we just go to the front desk?

You'll drop them off at Bell Services.

The only time I ever did online check-in I didn't get a text before we got to the resort, so we went to the front desk--which I would've done anyway. The front desk had completely wrong information about my room requests (dunno why) and I was able to straighten it out. All good. The room was ready, but we were starving, so left our bags with bell services and went to lunch. At lunch, I get a text that our room is ready--at a completely different resort. So, after lunch, we went back to the front desk to make sure that we weren't getting charged for our room at the resort where we were actually staying and the room that the text had informed us about. No one could figure out how that'd happened, but of course I showed them the text I'd received since it was so odd.

I have no idea if doing online check-in had any effect on any of this, but that was the first and last time I did it. I like going to the front desk when I check in. If we were staying at a resort where the check-in line might be long, that'd be a different story, but I've rarely had to wait more than a few minutes, sometimes not even that.
Was the resort that you go a text for a better resort?Or an Upgrade?

We did online check in last time and received the text that our room was ready while on Magical Express from the airport. However we still had to stop at the desk because we had no idea where our room was. :-)
Lol, in 2016 DH had to stop Mousekeeping and ask for help in finding our room! We drove from an early vacay stop in St Pete Beach and got the text we were in Acadian House, but I had to drop DH off and zip to the car rental center to drop off our car and it was POURING (Hurricane Hermine was en route).DH couldnt find the room! Otherwise, online check in was great!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter