Pros and Cons of Online Check-in

I guess I'm alone in doing both, online check-in and stopping at the desk, or taking the option to, and we do over 75% of the time. I like to meet the staff too.

Nope. I like to do both as well.

(Of course, I always book the room I'll be happy with, so I don't feel the need to ask for an upgrade. I feel like operating on "I'll book low and sweet talk my way into an upgrade at check-in because it has always worked..." is asking for disappointment - because there will come a day when there IS no higher category available...possibly sooner than later with the Gates of Hades opening at the end of August.)

We do online check-in. Worked great last year as we were on an evening flight so got our room assignment before we even got on the plane. It was pretty much opposite what I wanted, so DH got on the phone and we were able to get our room changed to exactly what we wanted.

Well, when you check-in at the Front Desk with a CM you have the opportunity to interact with that CM who could potentially offer you a room upgrade, work in the system to get you a better room location/type, answer any questions that you have, offer tips/advice, offer extra incentives like housekeeping opt out, hand you a resort-specific welcome gift, etc.. NONE of this will happen if you opt for Online Checkin.

IMHO these are more than enough of reasons to keep me going to the Front Desk for check-in.

Well, when you check-in at the Front Desk with a CM you have the opportunity to interact with that CM who could potentially offer you a room upgrade, work in the system to get you a better room location/type, answer any questions that you have, offer tips/advice, offer extra incentives like housekeeping opt out, hand you a resort-specific welcome gift, etc.. NONE of this will happen if you opt for Online Checkin.

That is 100% incorrect. You can absolutely do both Online Check In AND interact with the CM and potentially get a sweet room and/or upgrade.

That is 100% incorrect. You can absolutely do both Online Check In AND interact with the CM and potentially get a sweet room and/or upgrade.
It's almost as if some think there's a barricade in place and if you've done online check-in, you aren't allowed through to the front desk and to talk to the CM or something.
I don't get it, why so many think it's one or the other, only.

IMHO these are more than enough of reasons to keep me going to the Front Desk for check-in.
so true. The experiences of many just on this thread reflects exactly what human interaction will accomplish. Its a lost art to some. It even surprises some that they have a conversation. I know factually and many others do the benefit of checking in at the desk. You wouldn't believe the PM's i have received of folks that have gotten upgraded free of course just because they found out the CM was from their state or town. (they dont post it due to folks poo pooing them..thats exact words) Or the guest just got back from serving over seas. And, you as a former CM get it. you know exactly what im talking about. So much is there for guests..that they would not get at all without doing this. I cant tell you how many times I would have gotten the room assigned if i just checking in online and went my own way..But, time after time..we get upgraded after we talk and the CM does what they do..they make our trip special.I have even had them tell me...book standard..then see what you can get when you arrive. I have nothing but great things to say about Disney employees..especially guest services. Thats another group of people that if you interact with, there is so much for them to offer.
We all have our ways of doing things...what works BEST for us, is best.
And even if i got what we booked..thats fine. But it is uncommon for that to happen.

Last edited:
We love online check in. I like being able to look up the room before I get there on touring plans to know if I like the location or not. If they don't assign a room I like, I can go to the front desk when I arrive and ask for a new one. Last time we got the text with our room number before we were even on our flight to FL.

so true. The experiences of many just on this thread reflects exactly what human interaction will accomplish. Its a lost art to some. It even surprises some that they have a conversation. I know factually and many others do the benefit of checking in at the desk. You wouldn't believe the PM's i have received of folks that have gotten upgraded free of course just because they found out the CM was from their state or town. (they dont post it due to folks poo pooing them..thats exact words) Or the guest just got back from serving over seas. And, you as a former CM get it. you know exactly what im talking about. So much is there for guests..that they would not get at all without doing this. I cant tell you how many times I would have gotten the room assigned if i just checking in online and went my own way..But, time after time..we get upgraded after we talk and the CM does what they do..they make our trip special.I have even had them tell me...book standard..then see what you can get when you arrive. I have nothing but great things to say about Disney employees..especially guest services. Thats another group of people that if you interact with, there is so much for them to offer.
We all have our ways of doing things...what works BEST for us, is best.
And even if i got what we booked..thats fine. But it is uncommon for that to happen.
What you fail to acknowledge time and time again is that what you get by asking for something for free can't also happen if you do online check-in. THAT is all anyone else is trying to say.
There is no one claiming upgrades do not happen, so why anyone would not post due to folks poo pooing them is beyond me. Who has poo pooed someone getting an upgrade?
Heck, most say exactly the opposite, that they do get upgrades. But doing online check-in doesn't have any bearing about it nor is it removing any one's desired human interaction. It's unfair to post otherwise to those reading along that don't understand the process. Unfair to insinuate that you can't get any of those things by doing online check-in
Sure, if someone has got the guts and the wherewithal to go with their hand out for an upgrade, then great, let them do it.
All someone has to do is complete online check-in, see what they get (call it a game) then don't like it, go ask for a free upgrade. Same thing will happen, you'll get it or won't. But the room will have already been assigned before you walk up to the desk. Just in one case you know what it is, the other you don't. But it's still assigned.

Last edited:
What you fail to acknowledge time and time again is that what you get by asking for something for free can't also happen if you do online check-in. THAT is all anyone else is trying to say.
There is no one claiming upgrades do not happen, so why anyone would not post due to folks poo pooing them is beyond me. Who has poo pooed someone getting an upgrade?
Heck, most say exactly the opposite, that they do get upgrades. But doing online check-in doesn't have any bearing about it
Sure, if someone has got the guts and the wherewithal to go with their hand out for an upgrade, then great, let them do it.
All you have to do is complete online check-in, see what you get (call it a game) then don't like it, go ask for your free upgrade. Same thing will happen, you'll get it or won't. But the room will have already been assigned before you walk up to the desk. Just in one case you know what it is, the other you don't. But it's still assigned.
What we are trying to say...and I'm not saying you are wrong..But some folks say we are completely wrong with our experiences..
if i do online check in....YES, you are right, i could still go to the front desk. But, not just me, but former CM's and current ones have told us..this way..meaning regular check in, is the easiest way to get upgraded. Im not saying it can't happen with online. But, If a persons goal is to get upgraded...the best way to go about it..is regular check in. We have not just by our experience but even CM's tell us that. I mean it happens too much to be a anomaly. So i tell folks, and as you have seen a former CM..that one way statistically will work better than others.
Everyone has their way of doing disney and if it works it works.
There is so many opinions on things such as ADR's and this and that..and for some, their way works..even if its not something thats supposed to happen.
i'll give you an example..We just went to DL last Sept. We were told there is NO way you'll get Blue Bayou dinner..its booked...My wife met a CM that was going to Xavier...her alma mater. The CM text her that there was a no show...we got dinner. There is alot of ways to get what you need..just by talking to people.

Last edited:
What we are trying to say...and I'm not saying you are wrong..But some folks say we are completely wrong with our experiences..
if i do online check in....YES, you are right, i could still go to the front desk. But, not just me, but former CM's and current ones have told us..this way..meaning regular check in, is the easiest way to get upgraded. Im not saying it can't happen with online. But, If a persons goal is to get upgraded...the best way to go about it..is regular check in. We have not just by our experience but even CM's tell us that. I mean it happens too much not to be a anomaly. So i tel folks, and as you have seen a former CM..that one way statistically will work better than others.
How can it be an easier way to an upgrade when your room is already assigned? The process for picking out a new room is the same for either guest, the one who did online check-in or the one who didn't.
I don't know what some CM has told you otherwise about the process or who told you that you were wrong with your experiences. Which by the way, makes no sense since no one else could tell you what your experiences were anyway.
Because here's the bottom line in all this

Your upgrade would be your upgrade be it asked for after doing online check-in or asked for without online check-in.

How can it be an easier way to an upgrade when your room is already assigned? The process for picking out a new room is the same for either guest, the one who did online check-in or the one who didn't.
I don't know what some CM has told you otherwise about the process or who told you that you were wrong with your experiences. Which by the way, makes no sense since no one else could tell you what your experiences were anyway.
Because here's the bottom line in all this

Your upgrade would be your upgrade be it asked for after doing online check-in or asked for without online check-in.
Thats fine..do it your way, I don't care how anyone does their vacation. But, we will do it our way as others do also. Im not the only one with this opinion and experience. YMMV and thats great. My way may not be your way and your way may not be the other person way. but, what works for each of us works. i added about the Blue Bayou at DL..in my last post. Whatever works..works..

We always go to the desk. I’m not looking for an upgrade. We’ve been pixie-dusted enough for a lifetime already. I just like the human contact and the welcome. Also, if I have any questions, I can ask them.

We always do online check in. I like getting the room text and it is especially nice when we know our room number before we arrive. If we get the text before we arrive at the resort we will usually go straight to the room. If we don't receive the text before arrival then we always go to the front desk to see if they can give us a hint as to where our room will be. Sometimes we will ask for if a different room. But mostly we just want to make sure everything is in order and we get our room soon.

We always do online check in and have since the process was offered. We've never gotten a room ready text prior to our arrival. We like going to the desk to chat with the CM's so it's not a big deal.

As for anyone suggesting that doing online check-in somehow lessens your ability to get an upgrade...you are just flat out wrong.

Traveling by air with 2 young kids is exhausting enough - if I can skip having to walk into another building or part of a building in these sprawling Disney resorts with our carry-on stuff, I’ll take it. All for online check in to go straight to the room upon arrival (yes, there’s a chance the room won’t be ready but I’d rather take a *chance* of having to walk around with them over the *certainty* of doing it if I didn’t do online check-in). Maybe at a different point in my life I’ll go for the human touch but not right now!

We have to go right by the front desk to get to the elevators at bwv. Not a big deal to check in there. Also, we are used to checking in at a front desk at the non Disney hotels wherever we go. If something’s up, like the time I was switching resorts and had a bad cold, I got into a room pronto. Kind front desk staff this time at BCV took care of it.

Thats fine..do it your way, I don't care how anyone does their vacation. But, we will do it our way as others do also. Im not the only one with this opinion and experience. YMMV and thats great. My way may not be your way and your way may not be the other person way. but, what works for each of us works. i added about the Blue Bayou at DL..in my last post. Whatever works..works..
I don't care how anyone does their vacation either. I don't care if someone does online check-in or not. It's not my time, why would I care.
I do care about making sure that answers given are not passing along wrong and inaccurate information to other readers of the board.
The facts need to be presented and then let the guest decide what to do.
So this is where it matters when facts are being presented that doing online check-in somehow reduces or alters your check-in experience or your upgrade experience.
People who don't know any better believe this when in fact, they may get a nice surprise without even asking for it. Imagine how much more fun pixie dust given is than pixie dust asked for
So that's the goal here, to pass along facts vs opinions. Or at least making sure facts are clear and opinions are also clear.
People have repeated the opinion that they want to go to the desk so they skip online check-in, like doing one prevents the other when the fact is there's no reason you can't do both.
People have the opinion that your chances of an upgrade are altered when the fact is they are the same

And I talk to people all the time too.
Just last weekend we had a Garden Rocks dining package booked for a 5:30 show. It was the only time offered for the meal time we wanted but we wanted the later show if possible. At first, the answer was no but I asked if they were certain and know what, after a brief question to the manager and we were able to get the 8:00 show time. By asking. And it turns out, it was the same manager we'd chatted with on the way in to mention to him how much we enjoyed one of the Food and Wine events we'd attended 2 years ago, and he was the manager running the staff. DH and I still remember the precision in which this event ran and we told this manager that. Same one that then gave us the time we really wanted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter