Proof of age for under 3 year old

Joseppi

Earning My Ears
We are doing the DisneyWorld thing this August and our youngest is very small for her age, under 3 feet tall. We are not sure what DW's policy is on proof of age for under 3 free admission. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Obviously, being that small, there is very little she would be able to do in the parks!

We are doing the DisneyWorld thing this August and our youngest is very small for her age, under 3 feet tall. We are not sure what DW's policy is on proof of age for under 3 free admission. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Obviously, being that small, there is very little she would be able to do in the parks!
Disney isn't going to ask for any proof of age. If you say she is under 3, then they take your word for it and no one will ask or request a thing. Now, if your child is over 3 and you are just trying to cheat the system, that is a whole other thread and moral issue. If someone wants to teach their child to lie or cheat that doesn't really have anything to do with Disney policy.

As for her not being able to do much in the parks, that is incorrect. Other than the 12 or so height-restricted rides/attractions in all of WDW - meaning all 4 parks, your daughter will be able to ride and do every single one of the over 200 or so non-height restricted rides/attractions. Even infants can enjoy any non-height restricted rides/attractions.

It's also good to know that while they don't ask for proof many CM's will ask the child their age in conversation. If you are trying to cheat the system it doesn't bode very well when the child says they are 4 or 5.

My daughter is 4 and VERY small for her age a whooping 33inches and 27lbs. She actually still wears 2T closes and she is the same size as her brother who is 2. When we went in May we were told at the gate that she didn't need a ticket since she was under 3. She informed them she was in fact 4! :scared1: They laughed and took the ticket. With that said I think my kids were asked about 10 times on this trip how old they were..... just so you know. Also, there were very few rides that she couldn't ride and she had a blast... as did my 2 year old.

I agree, I have never had to provide proof of age at the parks. They do abide by the height restrictions, though.

I think last year at Busch Garden, VA, they had a section where you could measure your child's height at the entrance of the park and they gave you a wrist band that tells you what rides you're able to go on. Makes it much easier to go around and not having to worry about the subjective decision of the CM.

Very interesting first post.
Disney isn't going to ask for any proof of age. If you say she is under 3, then they take your word for it and no one will ask or request a thing. Now, if your child is over 3 and you are just trying to cheat the system, that is a whole other thread and moral issue. If someone wants to teach their child to lie or cheat that doesn't really have anything to do with Disney policy.

As for her not being able to do much in the parks, that is incorrect. Other than the 12 or so height-restricted rides/attractions in all of WDW - meaning all 4 parks, your daughter will be able to ride and do every single one of the over 200 or so non-height restricted rides/attractions. Even infants can enjoy any non-height restricted rides/attractions.

Very good reply. Both my children went when they were 10 months. You would be amazed at what they could do. Once they turned 3, I started paying regardless of their height or desire to ride the rides. May children are afraid to go on a lot of the rides but they still pay. Please don't cheat the system. WDW could start decreasing the age of free admission or making everyone pay if it looks like this is getting done so much so it could start affecting everyone.

Saying your daughter is very small for her age implies she is over 3, and that you are trying to cheat. If so, please just be honest and pay for a ticket.

I worry about proof of age too. My DD2 is very tall for her age, we constantly get asked if she is 3.

I worried about that same thing. I brought the birth certificate just in case. One gate attendant did ask her agea and I told him. He rolled his eyes like, "yeah sure" but then I showed him the b.c. (I know I didn't need to) and he felt badly. I had to bring the birth certificate anyway since I didn't purchase a seat for my DD and she was flying as a lap baby.

Saying your daughter is very small for her age implies she is over 3, and that you are trying to cheat. If so, please just be honest and pay for a ticket.

yep, also saying she can't ride much of anything anyway. Justifications! When actually she can ride almost everything there!

Forgive me for not understanding but exactly what suggestions are you asking for? If your child is under 3 and very small for her age then you have nothing to worry about. No ticket and no proof of age needed. If she is over 3 then her size has nothing to do with anything. You must buy her a ticket. The rules are really not difficult to understand. If you are asking for suggestions on how to cheat the system then you came to the wrong place and will deserve everything you get. popcorn::

Why did this have to turn into most posters warning and advising against lying about the childs age.:confused3 One person just letting the OP know that it wouldnt be a good idea covers it.

This person is going to WDW first time and didnt know what it would be like.

To OP...Disney will not ask for proof of age, and sure they ask your child throughout the trip their age. Especially at meals. Assuming your child is under 3, dont worry about it, go have a great time!

Can I hijack the thread and ask a related question? My son is 2 and we are going in August. He's big for his age, but won't turn 3 until early September. However, when people ask him his age, he often says 3 because that is his favorite number (or he says 6 because that's his brother's age). If he tells someone 3, will we have problems? Should I bring his birth certificate? I just hate to carry those around because on our last trip, I forgot about them and left them in the room.
Thanks!

How old is your youngest? If she is under 3.... you are good to go.

If she's not... then, like others have mentioned... just buy the ticket.

I worried about that same thing. I brought the birth certificate just in case. One gate attendant did ask her agea and I told him. He rolled his eyes like, "yeah sure" but then I showed him the b.c. (I know I didn't need to) and he felt badly. I had to bring the birth certificate anyway since I didn't purchase a seat for my DD and she was flying as a lap baby.

I'd be mad! I don't appreciate being treated like a liar.
My daughter is 2.5, she's small for her age but she's a talker. Like non.stop. talking. I'll have her bc with me anyway so I'll probably just keep it in my wallet just in case!

Can I hijack the thread and ask a related question? My son is 2 and we are going in August. He's big for his age, but won't turn 3 until early September. However, when people ask him his age, he often says 3 because that is his favorite number (or he says 6 because that's his brother's age). If he tells someone 3, will we have problems? Should I bring his birth certificate? I just hate to carry those around because on our last trip, I forgot about them and left them in the room.
Thanks!

You see it is thanks to the cheaters that people like you pay the price for. Chances are that if they think he is older than 3 they will ask so I would bring the birth certificate for just in case. Do not be mad at the cm's as they are only doing their job and imagine how many people trying to cheat Disney they have caught. People have posted here about trying to pass off their 4 year olds as under 3. In the end everybody pays the price for the entitled few. Rant over. Have a great vacation.:)

You see it is thanks to the cheaters that people like you pay the price for. Chances are that if they think he is older than 3 they will ask so I would bring the birth certificate for just in case. Do not be mad at the cm's as they are only doing their job and imagine how many people trying to cheat Disney they have caught. People have posted here about trying to pass off their 4 year olds as under 3. In the end everybody pays the price for the entitled few. Rant over. Have a great vacation.:)

I know you weren't responding to me :) But I wanted to clarify my comment about being mad at the CM.

I think Disney should make it a policy to either politely ask for proof of age - or just let it go (knowing that there will be people who will lie and cheat.) What I don't think they should do, is be rude, sarcastic or condescending without knowing the facts. Treating a guest like a criminal is never a good way to start a vacation :)

eta:

Sorry for taking this totally off topic!

Thanks!
You don't need to provide any proof to Disney they will take your word for it.

Personally, if my kid was under age and I wasn't doing anything wrong, I wouldn't give a flip if some CM at the front gate rolled his eyes at me.

Go and have a great time and don't give it another thought.

I know you weren't responding to me :) But I wanted to clarify my comment about being mad at the CM.

I think Disney should make it a policy to either politely ask for proof of age - or just let it go (knowing that there will be people who will lie and cheat.) What I don't think they should do, is be rude, sarcastic or condescending without knowing the facts. Treating a guest like a criminal is never a good way to start a vacation :)

eta:

Sorry for taking this totally off topic!
I would hazard a guess that your experience was an isolated case. Disney's policy is to accept the guests word as to their child's age.

Thanks!

I would bring his birth certificate (or get him a state-issued ID card, which is what I did for my girls after I misplaced one of their birth certificates after a plane trip - it's so easy to misplace things on vacation) if you think he'll answer that way. That would really stink to have to buy a ticket for a 2-yr-old b/c he fibbed about his age.

And yes, last year the folks at Sea World were surprised that I had bought an annual pass for my (shorter than average) 3 year old. She's finally gotten tall enough to no longer be questioned, except at every ride w/ a height requirement. :)

NEVER bring an original copy of your child's birth certificate on vacation. If you feel you must have documentation, just make a copy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter