Princess Weekend 2023 (Feb 23-26, 2023)

Re: running the tangents and pacers.

For the marathon, I manually lapped my miles (minus a 3 mile stretch post AK and pre HS where I talked about needing to hit the lap button and then forgetting, resulting in a 3mi "lap") when I passed the mile markers. The pacers use the mile markers for their pacing, NOT their watch/GPS.

None of my miles were 1.00mi. Most of them are 1.05, and the ones where I veered off-course for a bathroom (such as the empty Pinocchio bathrooms in MK) they are more like 1.10mi.

And my watch says I ran 27.07mi, and not 26.2, so those 0.02-0.06 added up.

Just for a perspective from the front, I run up front of most every runDisney race. I'm very adept at running the tangents even on the very wide highway stretches. I don't have to weave around other runners. My HMs in Disney with a Garmin GPS watch have been 13.22, 13.18, 13.22, and 13.22. My Ms have been 26.44, 26.33, 26.44, 26.41, and 26.34. These are about what I would expect for GPS accuracy.

newbie here: what does running the tangents mean?
The course is measured along a specific line to make the exact distance. So when the course curves, the “measured” line would use the inside edge of the turn, not the outside. Ideally you want to run the course in such a way that you stay close to this “line” or you will add distance. “Running the tangents” means running the course in such a way as to run the shortest possible distance. This can be extremely difficult to do, especially from the later corrals when the course is more crowded.

As an additional answer, if you were to use a 400m track (like a school track) the 400m is measured on lane 1. If you ran a full lap in lane 8, you would run more than 400m.

The course is measured along a specific line to make the exact distance. So when the course curves, the “measured” line would use the inside edge of the turn, not the outside. Ideally you want to run the course in such a way that you stay close to this “line” or you will add distance. “Running the tangents” means running the course in such a way as to run the shortest possible distance. This can be extremely difficult to do, especially from the later corrals when the course is more crowded.

As an additional answer, if you were to use a 400m track (like a school track) the 400m is measured on lane 1. If you ran a full lap in lane 8, you would run more than 400m.
I used to get on one side of the road or the other and stay near the white line. After reading how courses are measured, and then running the calculations, it hit home how much further I was running by not running the tangents. I now do so diligently.

Thanks, everyone! I’ll probably be near the back so I’m not sure how much I'll get to try this.
it's something I don't worry about at all. I know I can maintain a 16mm pace, and I'm usually more like 14 with stops for selfies, short character lines, etc. But if I were running for a certain time, or was a lot closer to that 16mm threshold (and starting in the back) then I might make a bit of an effort. I just figure I'm getting maximum value out of my registration fee. 🤣

For staying warm in the wee hours of the morning, I have traditionally bought el cheapo sweatshirts from Walmart and discarded them after I've warmed up. But then I thought about the Tyvek jackets I've seen at work and how they would also offer wind protection. So I went looking on Amazon and found disposable jackets like the one below, and also disposable lab jackets that seem to be a weave(?) of plastic material. And they are even cheaper than the sweatshirts. (Less than $3 each with a 10-pack). Didn't know if anyone else had any experience with using the paper/polypropylene attire.
Note: I can neither confirm not deny whether I am as fit or potentially attractive as the person in this product photo....
1676298549427.png

Hi everyone! Where my camels at?! I live in New England and go through so much water during warm weather. Coming down to Florida next week will be a little bit of a shock lol im thinking of bringing water for the half. If you bring water what do you carry it in?! And yes I know Disney offers water but as I mentioned before...camel lol!

Hi everyone! Where my camels at?! I live in New England and go through so much water during warm weather. Coming down to Florida next week will be a little bit of a shock lol im thinking of bringing water for the half. If you bring water what do you carry it in?! And yes I know Disney offers water but as I mentioned before...camel lol!
I live near Disney so I need water during most of my runs. I got a Nathan handheld water bottle at the recommendation of a friend and really like it.

I live near Disney so I need water during most of my runs. I got a Nathan handheld water bottle at the recommendation of a friend and really like it.
Yes I LOVE my Nathan handheld. I used mine for the marathon and it worked perfectly, so easy to fill at water stations, half the time they had someone standing with a big jug ready to fill handhelds or I just stopped and a volunteer handed me a few cups in a row, they were very helpful. I have an 18oz speeddraw plus and even full it doesn't bother me to carry it the whole race. The insulation is pretty worthless, the only con (along with price).

Edit: I was on the fence about a hydration vest since I did use one in my non-Disney marathon and was glad to have it, however I decided to use the handheld at WDW instead because a) I wasn't going for speed, so stopping and refilling my bottle occasionally wasn't a big deal at WDW and b) there are water stations at least every two miles and there's no way I'd drink 18oz in just two miles. I'm glad I did the bottle only as it made for better pictures plus a vest can get so heavy/hot in the FL heat. I actually went with the strategy of drinking a water cup at every aid station and then using my handheld for electrolytes, so I had a few single serving Nuun packs in the pouch to mix in when I refilled.

I always have water for any race over 10k--no matter what course support is like, so no explanation needed. I have a Nathan Trail belt (waist) with two bottles (20 oz total). You can always refill your bottles at a water station--either using provided water cups or sometimes the water stop volunteers may be able to refill directly. (Just step to the side and avoid the other runners trying to grab and go)

For staying warm in the wee hours of the morning, I have traditionally bought el cheapo sweatshirts from Walmart and discarded them after I've warmed up. But then I thought about the Tyvek jackets I've seen at work and how they would also offer wind protection. So I went looking on Amazon and found disposable jackets like the one below, and also disposable lab jackets that seem to be a weave(?) of plastic material. And they are even cheaper than the sweatshirts. (Less than $3 each with a 10-pack). Didn't know if anyone else had any experience with using the paper/polypropylene attire.
Note: I can neither confirm not deny whether I am as fit or potentially attractive as the person in this product photo....
View attachment 739391
There was a vendor selling these at the MW expo. They also had pants available. I'm sure their prices were significantly higher than Amazon's, though!

I’m also a fan of the Nathan handheld (recommended to me by @DopeyBadger). It took a couple runs to get used to it, but now it feels strange to go on an outdoor run without it. I carry mine even for 5Ks, because I like to have it whenever I want it and I usually only need a sip every so often. I use the water stops for Powerade and to refill my handheld as needed. I also keep my chews in the little zippered pouch.

I brought my camelpak last year for the Half and I'm glad I did. I left MK right when the sun was rising and I had full sun in my face the whole way from MK to HS. I wouldn't have had enough water relying solely on the water stops.

I have a Nathan belt with two bottles that I love. I like to sip versus drink so I always want to carry my own water. I wear this for everything 10K and longer. I also like having water to cool down with as necessary.

I’m also a fan of the Nathan handheld (recommended to me by @DopeyBadger). It took a couple runs to get used to it, but now it feels strange to go on an outdoor run without it. I carry mine even for 5Ks, because I like to have it whenever I want it and I usually only need a sip every so often. I use the water stops for Powerade and to refill my handheld as needed. I also keep my chews in the little zippered pouch.
It may be that I allow myself to get a bit dehydrated, but I rely on the water stops to refill and be my Galloway-ish walk breaks. I usually down (1) water and (1) Powerade and it seems to work, regardless of race length. I don't think I've ever felt like I've been dehydrated other than one hot summer race where I did forego grabbing a drink at a water stop. Lesson learned there.
In between water stops, I'll use gum or Mentos to keep my mouth from drying out (and I guess the Mentos are also a tiny bit of fuel). I'll consume some fuel for a half or full marathon, but not in a 5K or 10K.
OTOH, DB knows his stuff and has much faster times than I do...
YMMV

Anything beyond 10k I like to bring my own fuel to supplement on course water and powerade. I just started using an Orangemud PVF V2.0. It holds a small collapsible bottle (filling with Tailwind) to your chest, with a pocket for phone and a couple small places to cinch some gels, plus it gives me a small back compartment for ID, addtl battery pack, and a nylon web if I want to secure a windbreaker (not using in FL).
It fits secure and doesn't bounce.
I also plan to bring my Osmo Pocket 2 camera and it gives me a spot to swap between my phone and the Osmo so I am "only" carrying one device in my hand at any given moment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter