Princess Weekend 2023 (Feb 23-26, 2023)

BTW, how is it running while holding Maui's hook? My daughter has plans to run the HM while holding Merida's bow. She knows "nothing new on race day," so we're practicing with a three mile run on Thursday.

It's pretty light (under 0.2 lbs), but it isn't weight balanced. So it does have a tendency to pull on my wrist as I carry it. I did a short stint with it at 9mph the other day and it held up well. I found that carrying it from the mid-point where the weight is balanced was easier. And flipping it upside down and holding it at the grip was fine too. I'm sure it'll be a little annoying, but I'm not overly concerned about it. I'll just go with the flow. The plan is to carry it wherever it is comfortable for the majority of time, and then when pics are being taken to carry it on the grip.

It's pretty light (under 0.2 lbs), but it isn't weight balanced. So it does have a tendency to pull on my wrist as I carry it. I did a short stint with it at 9mph the other day and it held up well. I found that carrying it from the mid-point where the weight is balanced was easier. And flipping it upside down and holding it at the grip was fine too. I'm sure it'll be a little annoying, but I'm not overly concerned about it. I'll just go with the flow. The plan is to carry it wherever it is comfortable for the majority of time, and then when pics are being taken to carry it on the grip.
I actually saw someone carrying Mjolnir during the marathon. 26.2 miles carrying a hammer from the handle!

I did not make goals previously. My daughter and I normally do the 5k and 10k, but we decided to only do the 5k this time around. Turned out to be a good call, as she and her husband are expecting their first child in the spring and she will be 27 weeks pregnant at the 5k. She has been cleared by her doctor to walk it (didn't see a need to worry about running this time), so we will just see how she's feeling the morning of and go from there. She still has occasional morning sickness, but does better when she eats several small snacks over the course of the day, so will need to be sure she eats before the 5k, and I will have snacks with me.

I don't remember if I made goals.

Forgive my novel...

I'm really proud of myself for how much of my training plan I've accomplished. Started in October with Galloway but then switched over to Higdon's novice plan. I've missed some runs, but nowhere near what I've missed in the past.

JUST by doing more jogging/walking I have dropped a LOT of mass off of the front of my body, which has done wonders for my back, knees, and self-esteem. Higdon actually writes the cross-training into his plans, and that works for me. So I've been on the bike a lot to get that extra quadricep and hamstring power. I finally gave in to shoe inserts (though I'm still not convinced). I have TWO new pairs of shoes that I've been working with.

This time next year I'll be working, possibly in taxation, so the timing for Princess might be impossible, so I'm determined to try to actually enjoy this. I'm not a joyful runner overall (sorry to all those whose pictures my RBF has ruined!) but I'm going to TRY this time.

I hope to heck I do not get swept this year. I'm still not 100% sure what happened last year, other than having been sick and all the nonsense that went along with that, but I now have more of an understanding of why trusting my garmin was a mistake and why the pacers and balloon ladies often go faster than I expect them to.

On my few off-treadmill trainings I've experimented with moving off the sidewalk onto grass, to see if I have that ability. I do. Yay. So if I need to, I'll be able to go on the grass in cone alley. I am short and timid, and I have been stuck behind people (pace groups more than one year, a clump of walkers who literally linked arms and mocked those of us trying to get our intervals going either last year or in 2020) in the past due to fears of my ankles/knees not being strong enough.

I've tried Tailwind and...it seems to be a success. Also started using Sports Legs again, which reduces the formation of lactic acid, and that's going well.

Got a tutu, but OOF it's scratchy on the arms so that might be returned. Plus, my son is a ballet dancer and objects to me wearing a tutu unless I'm dancing LOL.

Still not sure what clothes I'm wearing other than my sweatyband "for eliza" headband and my sparkleathletic running shorts, but that's pretty typical for me.

Last edited:
I did not make goals previously. My daughter and I normally do the 5k and 10k, but we decided to only do the 5k this time around. Turned out to be a good call, as she and her husband are expecting their first child in the spring and she will be 27 weeks pregnant at the 5k. She has been cleared by her doctor to walk it (didn't see a need to worry about running this time), so we will just see how she's feeling the morning of and go from there. She still has occasional morning sickness, but does better when she eats several small snacks over the course of the day, so will need to be sure she eats before the 5k, and I will have snacks with me.

If I can make a suggestion?

Put some sort of sign on the back of her shirt, so it can be seen below her hair, mentioning that she's expecting. It really helps those behind to steer clear, so if we trip and fall we aren't near enough that person to hurt them. From behind, pregnancy is not always obvious, so it really is nice for others to have that sign. Plus she'll get lots of happy comments.

I sadly don't have a race registration for this weekend, but I was bored today and poked around rates. I'm kinda shocked how many hotels are still available, and some are pretty reasonable. My recollection is race weekends were usually booked up.

Question: has anyone noticed that Body Glide (blue) isn't working the same? I've had to get gold bond anti-chafe because the Glide just isn't working as well.

Wow. That is enraging.

It was AWFUL. I don't know what happened to their attitudes that morning, but they were quite nasty.

I've been doing princess since 2017, I believe (or 2016) and I've only encountered that once, FWIW. I've been battling shoulder issues which made being jostled horribly painful, and I didn't have the ability to leave the flat ground that year. So I had to endure it. My shoulder is now at 95% normal and my lower body joints are better, so I'm glad I'll be able to be more agile.

Put some sort of sign on the back of her shirt, so it can be seen below her hair, mentioning that she's expecting. It really helps those behind to steer clear, so if we trip and fall we aren't near enough that person to hurt them. From behind, pregnancy is not always obvious, so it really is nice for others to have that sign. Plus she'll get lots of happy comments.

I saw a woman last year with "Caution Runners: Baby Bump Ahead" or something similar on her back. So cute!!

It was AWFUL. I don't know what happened to their attitudes that morning, but they were quite nasty.

I've been doing princess since 2017, I believe (or 2016) and I've only encountered that once, FWIW. I've been battling shoulder issues which made being jostled horribly painful, and I didn't have the ability to leave the flat ground that year. So I had to endure it. My shoulder is now at 95% normal and my lower body joints are better, so I'm glad I'll be able to be more agile.
If you’ve watchedRunning in Makeup she said she’s “red rovered” groups like that before. I’m kind of in her corner.

I saw a woman last year with "Caution Runners: Baby Bump Ahead" or something similar on her back. So cute!!

We have discussed this, and I believe she is planning on the "Caution Runners: Baby Bump Ahead" sign.

First time running so pls be patient with the question :) … during the training I haven’t tried out any nutrition, mostly because I go out training either after eating some nuts or an orange..

But with the early arrival to the place, plus corrals releases, plus race might be too long for not eating something…

As I haven’t tried anything yet in training.. what would be safest way or tip to go? Putting some almonds on a ziploc? A butter (peanut/almond) snack?

Thanks!

First time running so pls be patient with the question :) … during the training I haven’t tried out any nutrition, mostly because I go out training either after eating some nuts or an orange..

But with the early arrival to the place, plus corrals releases, plus race might be too long for not eating something…

As I haven’t tried anything yet in training.. what would be safest way or tip to go? Putting some almonds on a ziploc? A butter (peanut/almond) snack?

Thanks!

Which event are you doing?

If you're just talking about eating before the start, bring it however you like. I would recommend eating peanuts away from the crowd, just in case someone nearby has allergies.

Thanks!
With a 2am-ish wakeup, and the corrals releasing from 5-6am, unless you're used to being up and around for 3-4 hours and THEN running, you'll probably want something. It's very common for runners to bring some sort of easily portable breakfast into the corrals with them. I made instant oatmeal in a cardboard coffee "cup" during MW, and then took it to the race with me and ate it cold. Some people bring a bagel, a sandwich, etc. There isn't really a right or a wrong answer here, but more of a "what works for you, and will make sense to do on race day." The distance you're running (and your pace) can also factor in because your body generally has enough sugar stored up to get you through aa 5k or 10k, though you may feel better during and after with some fuel.

Do you usually run first thing in the morning? In the afternoon/evening? If it's afternoon/evening, is is like 'eat this meal, a few hours later have nuts/orange and then run' kind of thing? If it's the latter, then just mimic that in the morning and have breakfast at 2am, and then your usual snack in the corral.

As I haven’t tried anything yet in training.. what would be safest way or tip to go?

This is what I personally do now, so others may have different experiences.

I'm not really hungry before/during the races even though I've been up for 3-4 hours. I bring myself to eat anyway.

I'll eat one bagel with peanut butter in my room. I'll bring a banana with me to eat 15-20 minutes before the race, per DopeyBadger's recommendation of taking carbs in before starting. And then my standard fuelling during the race (Gu and/or Maurten gels)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter