Princess Weekend 2023 (Feb 23-26, 2023)

PQOTD: What are you most excited about for this race weekend?

ATTPQOTD: I'm most excited about running the 5k with my family. I can't wait to have them experience it for the first time. See you all at the 3:30 meetup hopefully! :)
Mind you this is completely dependent upon other runners on the course, but I'm most excited about seeing the look on my daughter's face as we actually run through the castle. I've mentioned this previously, but it was such a letdown walking through the castle and I can visualize the look of pure happiness on her face as she gets to run through the castle for the first time.

Do you know what running pace that the 2:30 pace group would use in order to achieve an 11:26 average pace? I recall Chris Twiggs stated in a podcast that he doesn't look at running pace and only looks at his average pace. Nonetheless, I was hoping to glean some insight into what one should shoot for rather than speeding up and slowing down in order to maintain a particular average pace.

Like the podcast said they use predetermined ratios and average pace. But the walking pace and running pace are up to the pacer in the moment. If you plan to run with them, then let them do the thinking. Unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to practice the exact paces in advance. The general advice is a comfortable walk pace, but that differs person to person. The feedback I’ve gotten from others is the runDisney pacers tend to use a slightly faster walking pace than comfortable. Keep in mind, in general pacers are good at hitting their marks. But they are not infallible. So if the average pace seems way off then stop trusting them. Also plan for the course to be about 13.2-13.3 miles based on your personal GPS if going for a specific goal time. This means average pace would need to be faster than 13.11 miles pace.

ATTPQOTD: I'm most excited about DH and I sharing the RunDisney fun with our kids. Usually we go without them! Their only other experience was the Star Wars 5k that got delayed and shortened due to a thunderstorm. It was quite a miserable 1st RunDisney experience for them. I'm so excited for this one to be better!

Outside of the running we are making a whole Disney family vaca out of this and doing several experiences for the first time that I'm excited about... Wild Africa Trek, Harmonious Fireworks Cruise, Savi's, and the new Duck Tales game at Epcot.

Like the podcast said they use predetermined ratios and average pace. But the walking pace and running pace are up to the pacer in the moment. If you plan to run with them, then let them do the thinking. Unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to practice the exact paces in advance. The general advice is a comfortable walk pace, but that differs person to person. The feedback I’ve gotten from others is the runDisney pacers tend to use a slightly faster walking pace than comfortable. Keep in mind, in general pacers are good at hitting their marks. But they are not infallible. So if the average pace seems way off then stop trusting them. Also plan for the course to be about 13.2-13.3 miles based on your personal GPS if going for a specific goal time. This means average pace would need to be faster than 13.11 miles pace.
Adding on to DB's comments: run to the tangents. An admittedly crude calculation indicates that the marathon is appx .26 miles longer if you stay to one side of the course instead of running tangent to tangent. So an extra .1 to .13 in the half is entirely likely if you aren't diligent about that. (All of which ignores the differences between what our watches tell us vs the physical course measuring that occurs for these races).
YMMV (literally)

Do you know what running pace that the 2:30 pace group would use in order to achieve an 11:26 average pace? I recall Chris Twiggs stated in a podcast that he doesn't look at running pace and only looks at his average pace. Nonetheless, I was hoping to glean some insight into what one should shoot for rather than speeding up and slowing down in order to maintain a particular average pace.
I ran with the 2:30 pacers in 2017. Here are our mile splits.

1676060274854.jpeg

1676060295141.jpeg

As you can see, paces were all over the place. Garmin shows it as 11:15 pace for 13.32 because of the extra mileage, but Disney results will show an 11:25 pace for 13.1 miles.

I'm staying at Poly, can I just walk to the TT&C right?

Thank you for asking this. We're there, too, and we hoped to be able to walk.

Just keep in mind that runDisney tracking is not infallible.

Yep. My cousin's family thought I had died or fallen a few years ago, because the tracking system missed me at the 10K mat. No mylar, no nothing to interfere, and I always quite deliberately step on the mat. Just a fluke.

Re: running vs walking through the castle.
Please be very careful with wording, as it FEELS...icky to have slightly later-on-the-course people being called a "walker parade."
Apart from the early people going through, almost everyone ends up walking unless they choose to slam their way through a crowd. When I've gone through, I WANT to be doing my running interval, but I can't, because there are LOTS OF PEOPLE in a small small space.
It's not a parade, when loads of people are going through a small space. It's simply a crowd.

I see lots of fears of being swept here.

The posts I've seen so far have times that really shouldn't be causing this concern, but I'm going to write about it anyway.

Last year I got swept in the Half. A whole bunch of us were all fully stopped with a convoy of buses pulled up, exactly at the mile 9 marker.

Lots of reasons. Some were my problems (which I've done my best to take care of), and some were Disney's (I truly hope they've fixed the bus cluster-eff, but I will also make sure I'm there on time for the first bus, just in case), and according to many people, there was one life or death medical emergency just beyond mile 9 that I believe disney decided to not have people walking and slowly running past.

I thought I was over it until yesterday when I went looking at my cousin's time (a minute faster than my pace) and saw a video on youtube and tracked their time (a minute OVER my pace).

Looking at my garmin's data, by the time I hit mile 9 I was at 2:36:41, which active's run calculator tells me was a 17:25 pace. My per-mile pace had been 17:24 according to Disney for the 10K the day before, and I never even saw the balloon ladies or pacers.

The issues I could have controlled, and so can you:

Bathroom breaks are my own personal time-destroyer. Literally. Without those stops I would have been FINE. You have 2 weeks to get a new fuel situation worked out if you, like me, have a delicate belly. I'm finally trying Tailwind, and it doesn't seem to have the same, er, flushing effect on me that Clif and SportsBeans do. Last year I distinctly remember two bathroom breaks but am sure there were 1 or 2 more. If I had not stopped near Gaston's I might never have even seen the balloon ladies.

Be at the front of your corral. Not in the middle, not in the back. Don't be timid. Just get there. Don't be a jerk, either, of course.

Do not, NOT NOT NOT, pause your watch for bathroom breaks or photos! Take it off autopause if you have that currently set. You don't want to think you're at x pace when you're at a slower pace. I learned that lesson at the January 2014 Half, when I was running while desperately sick (anyone else remember that ridiculous respiratory illness that swept through that January?). I always have a hard time doing running math, but I had no brain at all. My watch was auto-pausing then. Oops. I was kept safe because I was still using a proof of time from 2013 and was in an early corral.

Also, be aware that if you are not in a position to "run the tangents," your watch is going to effectively lie to you. Garmin tells me a different story than 17:25, because I had already gone 9.3 miles when I got to mile 9. So be mindful that you aren't quite as fast as your watch tells you unless you're one of the early starters who can actually run the exactly measured course.

Be ready for the first bus/monorail. If you're driving, leave earlier than you could imagine wanting to leave. Set tons of alarms. For my first Princess I nearly overslept for the 10K because my phone decided it didn't have an external alarm anymore that morning. Thankfully it was set to vibrate and I'd left it on the bed. Set many alarms, get yourself ready, and get to your car or the bus (or monorail if you're at a monorail resort). This will keep you ahead of any transportation issues that might crop up. And it should keep you from having to sprint/rush to the corrals b/c the race already started thanks to those issues. (I was dealing with corona from the month before. My heart rate is naturally high, goes higher with albuterol, and was RACING with post-corona + the events of that morning, and it never evened out)

Those are the main things I could have changed last year, or learned in previous years.

If you're already solidly at an under-15-minute pace, as many I'm seeing are, just be mindful of the breaks you take and have fun. If you're over that, be very mindful of the breaks and keep your pace up.

If you're like me and have no competitive bone in your body, you do NOT want to even get a hint of the balloons or pacers. So stay aware and alert and keep on moving forward.

And if you do get swept, it'll be emotional and hard, but you'll get through it. Hopefully quicker than me, but I've had an absolute hell of a last 365 days, and there are lots of things stepping in between me and healing LOL.

So excited to be running the 5k with my friends. It is my 50th birthday bucket list. Two of my friends are Disney newbies so we’ve planned a week long girls trip. I’ve been running a 5k a month for 18 months so I‘m feeling prepared. Keep an eye out for us😁

We did a Halloween 5k to test drive our costumes. Good thing we did because my leggings fell down😂
BA8B35E1-CF6B-40F2-85E8-C8BBDBB9E32B.jpeg

Thank you for asking this. We're there, too, and we hoped to be able to walk.

Yep. My cousin's family thought I had died or fallen a few years ago, because the tracking system missed me at the 10K mat. No mylar, no nothing to interfere, and I always quite deliberately step on the mat. Just a fluke.

Re: running vs walking through the castle.
Please be very careful with wording, as it FEELS...icky to have slightly later-on-the-course people being called a "walker parade."
Apart from the early people going through, almost everyone ends up walking unless they choose to slam their way through a crowd. When I've gone through, I WANT to be doing my running interval, but I can't, because there are LOTS OF PEOPLE in a small small space.
It's not a parade, when loads of people are going through a small space. It's simply a crowd.
Definitely a bottleneck.

From Muppet Vision: “get really close. We’re doing a deodorant strength test.”

Getting close! I'm heading out on my last long run this morning (12 miles).

My daughters (14,10) and I are doing the 5k, and we procrastinated and ordered our costumes late (on 2/6). We found the cutest stuff on etsy for Rapunzel (14yo), Pascal (10yo) and Mother Gothel (me, of course). We leave for FL in 1 week (2/19) and I'm still waiting to get notice they shipped out. Contacted seller and was assured they are shipping out soon but there's nothing I or they can do to rush it (and no options for expedited shipping). If they arrive late, I will ask a family member to get the package from our house and overnight it to us in FL. Hope it all fits. Never a dull moment! (Our back up plan will be to wear the race shirts, but that's not nearly as fun....)

My half costume has come together quite nicely.... Elsa, with a very cool custom skirt from elastic aprons (I've always wanted one of her skirts!)

Getting close! I'm heading out on my last long run this morning (12 miles).

My daughters (14,10) and I are doing the 5k, and we procrastinated and ordered our costumes late (on 2/6). We found the cutest stuff on etsy for Rapunzel (14yo), Pascal (10yo) and Mother Gothel (me, of course). We leave for FL in 1 week (2/19) and I'm still waiting to get notice they shipped out. Contacted seller and was assured they are shipping out soon but there's nothing I or they can do to rush it (and no options for expedited shipping). If they arrive late, I will ask a family member to get the package from our house and overnight it to us in FL. Hope it all fits. Never a dull moment! (Our back up plan will be to wear the race shirts, but that's not nearly as fun....)

My half costume has come together quite nicely.... Elsa, with a very cool custom skirt from elastic aprons (I've always wanted one of her skirts!)

For next time, maybe ship it directly to the resort? I've done this on my last two trips and it went fine. Most Etsy/runDisney shops will even wait to ship until the last minute so my package doesn't sit at my resort for 3 weeks.

For next time, maybe ship it directly to the resort? I've done this on my last two trips and it went fine. Most Etsy/runDisney shops will even wait to ship until the last minute so my package doesn't sit at my resort for 3 weeks.
Thanks - I asked about that too but they can't change the shipping address. We are in Ft. Lauderdale for the first few days, arriving at WDW on 2/23, so it was a bit too far out to give my WDW hotel address. Lesson learned!

Adding on to DB's comments: run to the tangents. An admittedly crude calculation indicates that the marathon is appx .26 miles longer if you stay to one side of the course instead of running tangent to tangent. So an extra .1 to .13 in the half is entirely likely if you aren't diligent about that. (All of which ignores the differences between what our watches tell us vs the physical course measuring that occurs for these races).
YMMV (literally)
Adding on to comments: At another PHM, I happened to be running near a pace group (don't remember which) and heard the pacer explain to a runner that they were going quicker than planned pace to build a buffer so people could stop for pictures in MK and still make the overall finish time. This will obviously affect the pace in the first 5 miles. Not sure if all the pacers do this. Just something to be mindful of.

ATTPQOTD: Having a fun girls weekend with my two BFFs! We're running the 5k and 10k together.

Also, I'm excited/nervous about seeing what I can do for the half. I got covid right after Dopey, and it has really done a number on me. I feel strong enough to finish right now, but I just don't know what's going to happen on the day of the race. Oh, well! I'll get out there and try! I can always hop on a bus if I feel like it's too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter