"Princess" mum banned from Disneyland

I agree with Disney, its posted in the rules on there web pages, no one over 9 or something to that effect allowed in wearing a costume. I also dont quite understand what the bid deal is about havieng to go and change your clothes:confused3 its not as though she was permantly banned from the park, or that she couldnt enjoy the day with her daugther with out wearing a silly get up.

Not only could a wedding dress be considered a costume, but they really don't want people wearing one in the parks in order to prevent them from having their own "free" wedding photo session in front of the castle. Disney charges top dollar for that and they're not about to let anyone get out of paying for a Disney wedding package.

You'll also get nabbed if they catch you trying to perform an unauthorized (non-Disney arranged) wedding inside the parks. :upsidedow

This reminds me of the story about the unauthorized POTC wedding. :rotfl2:

Was that the one by the Mousetalgia person? If so, it was actually a vow renewal, I think. But she is a registered minister or something, I believe. :)

Anyway, I think that article is ridiculous, they made it sound worse than it was. She wasn't banned. She was asked to change. This summer there was a teen age girl who arrived in skimpy shorts and bikini top. They told her she had to put a shirt on over it and she said she didn't have one. I left so I don't know what happened but no one made a news story about her being banned, she just had to change. :confused3

In case you are unfamiliar with Disney policy, Foxhound, there is a rule that no guest over the age of 9 may wear a costume into the parks. It is clearly stated on the official Disneyland website: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/detail?name=ThemeParksFAQPage#qa10

And actually, this is standard practice at pretty much every theme park in the country, not just Disney. all theme parks state that adults may not wear any kind of costume into the park, beyond what you can purchase on park property.

this is especially true for special events, like halloween, christmas, and other costumed dress up events. no costumes at all, UNLESS it is specifically advertised as a costume party (and i believe disneyland does close DCA early and has a costumed halloween party, but i bet that there are still rules involved with that as well)

To me it makes sense on Disney's part. I go to Disneyland because of the the magic, that includes seeing beautifully dressed princesses right. Now if I see a half done up women walking around the park, being in Disneyland, I might assume or second guess(at first sight), who this person is. I do think it would take away from Disney.

Wow, I can however see why Disney would not want anyone to think that she was a cast member especially if she was not acting appropriately..... that would damage their image and or cause issues.....

How does Bats Day factor into that sort of thing?

Disney doesnt endorce bats day, they just dont make any effort to stop it as far as I know. Also the garb of a bats day attendy is not considered a costume and I think if a Disney offical tried to say it was it could offend the person doing the wearing.

It raises the interesting question of when clothing crosses that line and becomes "costume" - when we were at DL last April we saw a group of four Japanese teens who were each dressed entirely in a day-glo colour - one all in shocking pink, one in lime green etc. and fairly out-there clothes too - mini skirts, platform boots etc- not sure if they were anime characters as such, or just liked bright clothes, but they were getting a lot of attention and people were taking their photos.
Of course, they had only made it as far as Town Square when we saw them, so who knows how long they were actually allowed to stay in the park!

Disney does have a rule about wearing wedding attire in the parks. We asked about in-park pictures when we were married at DLR back in 2003 (they didn't offer them at the time) and were informed that wedding attire in the park is not allowed because of the individual being mistaken as a princess...which could lead to being mobbed by children and the dress ruined. It's a standard company policy I'm guessing because WDW has a similar policy in place. So I can understand why she was turned away at the gate.

Disney does have a rule about wearing wedding attire in the parks. We asked about in-park pictures when we were married at DLR back in 2003 (they didn't offer them at the time) and were informed that wedding attire in the park is not allowed because of the individual being mistaken as a princess...which could lead to being mobbed by children and the dress ruined. It's a standard company policy I'm guessing because WDW has a similar policy in place. So I can understand why she was turned away at the gate.

Of course then there's the matter of WDW wanting to sell you a high dollar wedding package with castle photo op........

I'll have to disagree with Disney on this one. Seems like they're just being a bit paranoid here. Neither the mother nor the daughter looked like any sort of cameo or iconic disney character that I can recognize.

Foxhound3857, judging by the puffy sleeves, I believe that the mother looks a little like Giselle from Enchanted, but then again, she's wearing what the Mouse considers a costume.

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I wrote an article on why costumes are not allowed in any given Disney Park unless 9 or under using that story as an example, and to quote from that:

Many people like me feel bad for the pair (who wore the dresses) because that experience ruined their vacations, but they understand now that all the Disney Parks have similar dress codes, Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios (Park) included.

ok as i sat here eating my chicken tostada from el pollo loco and reading the article on the lady from london with the frilly dress, i could not help but laugh( an choke on my tostada). seriosuly? is this for real? she really think that it was ok to wear that?..and no they do not look like a CM or a character. :rotfl:

hmm you know i what.. i think i will wear my prom dress from high school back in 1998, the big puffy blue one with the big sleeves and the 80's bead work to disneyland this weekend, i want it to be a special day on saturday!! :rotfl2:

bats day isn't a costume day. those people. that is there life style. and if they want to wear it to disneyland so be it..BUt wearing a "costume" princess dress isnot a lifestyle. it is what it is a costume!

Just a question....are tutu's allowed for children (under 9 of course)? I didn't see it amongst the "do nots"...but I wanted to make sure. I was thinking of making one for my little girl. :thumbsup2

Just a question....are tutu's allowed for children (under 9 of course)? I didn't see it amongst the "do nots"...but I wanted to make sure. I was thinking of making one for my little girl. :thumbsup2

9 and under.... anything costumy is fine!

I asked the same question when I got married back in 2002, but I was told that it was because couples were bringing in their own officiants and doing weddings in the park! I wish we would have thought of that before my parents spent bookoo bucks to do it over at PPH.:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter