Princess Kate is in labor with baby 3!!!

Not my favorite, but it’s not bad (I would’ve preferred Arthur). Louis does have that regal sound to it and I’m sure this little prince will be a charmer. :goodvibes

Named for Charles' favorite Uncle I assume.

Yes, likely in honor of Lord Mountbatten. Prince Charles must be pleased with their choice. Prince Edward named his daughter Louise.

Not my favorite, but it’s not bad (I would’ve preferred Arthur). Louis does have that regal sound to it and I’m sure this little prince will be a charmer. :goodvibes

Yes, likely in honor of Lord Mountbatten. Prince Charles must be pleased with their choice. Prince Edward named his daughter Louise.
Technically, it seems the same, but the pro-nounciation is slightly different. Unless they nickname him Louie-yuck. I know 2 people and their name is Louis-I like the name.

Technically, it seems the same, but the pro-nounciation is slightly different. Unless they nickname him Louie-yuck. I know 2 people and their name is Louis-I like the name.

What is the difference between Louis (which, in this case, is pronounced Lou-ey) and Louie (which you apparently consider "yuck)?

What is the difference between Louis (which, in this case, is pronounced Lou-ey) and Louie (which you apparently consider "yuck)?
Sorry, I guess I pronounce Louis as Lou-Iss, not Lou-EE. I just like the way Louis sounds. I shouldn't have said-yuck to a name. Everyone nick-names peoples names with an ie at the end of their names.

Lou-ee is the French pronunciation of Louis.

Strangely, Mountbatten wasn’t called Lou-ee by the family. He was called Dickie. Which was additionally strange because Richard wasn’t among his baptismal name. Great grandmama Vicky suggested Nicky, but they went with Dickie because of all of the Nickys in the Russian branch of the family. Say that five times really fast.

I have heard it pronounced both Lou-ee and Lou-iss today by different news people. Seems more are pronouncing it Lou-ee.

Sorry, I guess I pronounce Louis as Lou-Iss, not Lou-EE. I just like the way Louis sounds. I shouldn't have said-yuck to a name. Everyone nick-names peoples names with an ie at the end of their names.

I think lewis is yuck and louee is fantastic! :rotfl2:

Prince William's middle name is Louis. I would've liked Arthur. Louis reminds me too much of King Louis XVI -- off with his head, let them eat cake, etc.

Absolutely named for Earl Louis Mountbatten, who was Charles favorite uncle, but also Prince Philip's uncle and guardian (technically he was Prince Charles' great-uncle on the Mountbatten side. He was also a cousin of Queen Elizabeth on the Windsor side, 4th or 5th cousin, I believe, but don't quote me on that part.) I actually was rather sure that they would name the baby Louis; I had heard that because of Prince Philip's declining health, that the Queen wanted to please him in the choice of a name, and this one definitely would have been at the top of his list.

Louis Mountbatten had TREMENDOUS influence on the British royal family after the death of George VI; some people even say that he took it to Machiavellian levels. He wanted Charles to marry his granddaughter Amanda Knatchbull, and Charles dutifully proposed; but thankfully Amanda turned him down; they really were far too closely related to for marriage to be a good idea.

His assassination made the family even more determined to remember him as a saint. He *was* a brilliant man, no question, but history tells us that a saint he was not.

PS: Louise has been a favorite name in the royal family since long before the Battenburgs became the Mountbattens. The most famous of them was Queen Victoria's youngest daughter, who became the Duchess of Argyle. She was a talented artist, a tremendously well-loved patron of the arts and a tireless patron of charities. She was also a well-known crusader for the education of women. Anne, the Princess Royal, also has Louise as one of her names. (She is Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter